• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

4 Corners fight likey in Punggol East GE

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's why I find it puzzling that SDP has not approached the rest but only WP. That made me wonder if he was trying to have the best opposition candidate forward because it sounded more like having parties stronger than SDP step aside for SDP.

If he is sincere, he should start doing that after this BE. A SDP-NSP-DPP link up will be nice. Forget RP and SDA because they are what they are.

He did approach the rest, but didn't publicize it. That's where he fumbled: either you tell the media that you're talking to all ​the parties, or you keep quiet.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why I find it puzzling that SDP has not approached the rest but only WP. That made me wonder if he was trying to have the best opposition candidate forward because it sounded more like having parties stronger than SDP step aside for SDP.

If he is sincere, he should start doing that after this BE. A SDP-NSP-DPP link up will be nice. Forget RP and SDA because they are what they are.

CSJ is all about being power-hungry and taking the limelight. Yet he accuses others of doing what he himself does.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
6 Corners fight likey in Punggol East GE

PAP Dr Koh Poh Khoon 52%
WP Lee Li Lian 38%
SDP VW or TP 5%
RP KJ 2% (Lost deposit)
DPP Ben Pwee 2% (Lost deposit)
SDA Desmond Lim <1% (Lost deposit)

I would reduce PAP share to 48-49%, but will still come out to be winner. I doubt the independents will participate seeing the crowded room of participants. They are afterall planted by the PAP as stooge to dilute WP vote in case it become a one to one fight.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He did approach the rest, but didn't publicize it.

And why not?

The fumble was not accidental, it reflects the inner heart. He recognizes WP to be different from the rest. That ends up contradicting the position he took that all were equal partners.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I would reduce PAP share to 48-49%

we could be lucky enough to see that if all opposition parties involved sent their best candidate forward. if it were to be a battle ground for ideologies, me is more than welcome to have it a 7 or 8 cornered fight, a healthy diversity will allow the Singapore political scene to fluorish :p:p:p

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And why not?

The fumble was not accidental, it reflects the inner heart. He recognizes WP to be different from the rest. That ends up contradicting the position he took that all were equal partners.

All were equal partners. But why he publicized WP and not the rest was because he thought that doing it publicly would put pressure on WP, who had always been arrogant and aloof in its dealings with the other oppo parties. Remember, WP refused to even come to the negotiation table in GE2011.

On the other hand, the other opposition parties were willing meet and talk. So why publicize it? In fact, while the whole fiasco was being played out, talks with other parties were going on.

Where CSJ miscalculated was not realizing that publicizing negotiations even before they had begun would backfire on both parties – it leaves both sides little room to manoeuvre.

Last edited:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On the other hand, the other opposition parties were willing meet and talk. So why publicize it? In fact, while the whole fiasco was being played out, talks with other parties were going on.

But does that also mean such talks are meaningless? We know that after all the talks RP and SDA is still doing what WP does - to field a candidate. Only DPP has withdrawn, but it is not likely to be because Chee spoke to Pwee.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But does that also mean such talks are meaningless? We know that after all the talks RP and SDA is still doing what WP does - to field a candidate. Only DPP has withdrawn, but it is not likely to be because Chee spoke to Pwee.

I read it this way:

If CSJ hadn't made the PR mistake, SDA, SDP and RP would have fielded a unity candidate (assuming WP wanted out of the alliance) against WP and PAP.

But now that SDP has suffered damage to its goodwill and hence diminished its chances, PLUS the fact that LLL (seen as a weaker candidate than either YJJ or GG) was announced as a candidate, RP (and maybe SDA) has decided to step in to fill the vacuum.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I read it this way:

If CSJ hadn't made the PR mistake, SDA, SDP and RP would have fielded a unity candidate (assuming WP wanted out of the alliance) against WP and PAP.

But now that SDP has suffered damage to its goodwill and hence diminished its chances, PLUS the fact that LLL (seen as a weaker candidate than either YJJ or GG) was announced as a candidate, RP (and maybe SDA) has decided to step in to fill the vacuum.

LOL for the irony of things. Maybe Chee should also publicize the meetings with RP and SDA now that both refused to cooperate.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

last noted DL lost his deposit, is he prepared to lose it again at the risk of a lower vote count? very damaging to his reputation, isn't it?
KJ, as rightly pointed out by others, would have to first learn how to recite the pledge properly and correctly before deciding to step in.
am counting on SDP to field a strong candidate :smile::smile::smile:
oh... would Ooi and Zeng get seconded in their nominations? :o:o:o

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Before the PR disaster, I'd say SDP had an even chance of besting WP, coming second after PAP. Now, they'd be a distant third at best.

am actually counting on the moderate voters whom throw their vote to PAP, and whom doesn't want to give it to WP, to give it to SDP :smile::smile::smile:

godiva

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surprisingly or not so surprisingly for some, GMS's only focus in this BE is on politicis and multi corner fights etc.

No mentioned at all about why we have this BE due to Palmgate or PAP's lousy screening process. So unlike Yawgate where he did the exact opposite.

Who else still have doubts where this GMS's loyalty lies. With his paymaster PAP of course.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before the PR disaster, I'd say SDP had an even chance of besting WP, coming second after PAP. Now, they'd be a distant third at best.

I am certain your don't even believe that. I would expect SDP members to now start providing reasons for what could be a disastrous result for their party with or without the events of the past few days.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Desmond Lim won't run unless he thinks he can recover the deposit. Since he's running we can pretty much conclude that he is delusional.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Desmond Lim won't run unless he thinks he can recover the deposit. Since he's running we can pretty much conclude that he is delusional.

Quite ironic. Today, DL announced his candidacy on the same day that the M1 network went down.
DL works with M1 as a principal engineer.

I would say that is quite an omen.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am certain your don't even believe that. I would expect SDP members to now start providing reasons for what could be a disastrous result for their party with or without the events of the past few days.

On the contrary, I believe it. PT against LLL, more than even chance. Without the events of the past few days.

Naturally WP supporters can't see beyond their fan base to gauge non-partisan opposition voters' sentiments.