• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

3RD week as a new migrant in the outback

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hi all,
My wife and I have been thinking of moving to Australia to start a new life since she has been unable to get a PR here in Singapore and both of us are tired of the fast pace lifestyle. I have lived in Sydney for 8 mths about 2 years ago and I love the country, the culture, and the right balance of work/recreation balance. We do not have the qualifications to go as skilled migrants and I have been seriously thinking about the TAFE route. My intention is to study accounting in TAFE for 2 years and that would give me a chance to seek employment in Aus for 18 months. With that, I hope to get a permanent job and apply for permanent residence slowly. We have enough savings to pay for the full course fee and also enough money to last us 6-9 months in Aus just in case we can't find any part time job.
This is a route less taken as many Singaporeans go there through the skill migrant route. I tried to find some information over the web but the information is limited. I hope you can give me some advice. Thanks.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Raider,
which website did you check? immi.gov.au should be the only site that has all the requirements listed in there. I'm not too familiar with getting PRs via the TAFE course. The Australian government has clamped down a lot on migration via TAFE and private technical courses in the last year or so. This means cooks, hairdressers etc are no longer eligible for a PR visa after their course ends. I'm not too sure about the situation with accountants. You might want to check if this is still viable.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hi Ash, I'm aware if this. The clampdown started 2 years ago when I was there. Personally, even my friends who graduated with bachelor degree during that time had to wait for a long time to get their PRs. For those who graduated from TAFE, it will even be harder. But are the chances zero? I'm willing to give it a try if the immigration still consider everything on a case by case basis. I have even thought about trying out New Zealand after graduation as their immigration policy tends to be more lenient towards Singaporeans. I have tried googling everything about going the TAFE way but there seem to be very little information. Therefore, I hope that forummers who have friends who tried this route, please share with me their experience.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Planning to take the Tafe route too. But I think getting sponsored by an employer after graduating is the best optioned in getting PR.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Planning to take the Tafe route too. But I think getting sponsored by an employer after graduating is the best optioned in getting PR.

That's the difficult part brother. Even some degree holders are having problem getting employer sponsored visa, I guess it would be even more difficult for TAFE graduates.
I did some research on my own and feel that out of so many courses offered by TAFE, the dental studies course seems a better choice than accounting for a pathway to permenant residence.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dentistry is in high demand in aussieland. But please be aware, for some reason, suicide rate among dentist are extremely high. Getting emplyoment sponsored in Aussieland is not as easy as in Singapore. Over here, companies in general do not want to do the extra paperwork. It is not just a simple case of producing a company letter saying they need you for their company. I think there is a longer process for companies here to prove that you are indeed needed by the company and all local/aussies have been interviewed in order for the government to approve it for them. It is better that you get your own residency before attempting to get a job in aussieland.

That's the difficult part brother. Even some degree holders are having problem getting employer sponsored visa, I guess it would be even more difficult for TAFE graduates.
I did some research on my own and feel that out of so many courses offered by TAFE, the dental studies course seems a better choice than accounting for a pathway to permenant residence.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Dentistry is in high demand in aussieland. But please be aware, for some reason, suicide rate among dentist are extremely high. Getting emplyoment sponsored in Aussieland is not as easy as in Singapore. Over here, companies in general do not want to do the extra paperwork. It is not just a simple case of producing a company letter saying they need you for their company. I think there is a longer process for companies here to prove that you are indeed needed by the company and all local/aussies have been interviewed in order for the government to approve it for them. It is better that you get your own residency before attempting to get a job in aussieland.

Hi Ash,
Thanks for the reminder. I'm currently exploring New Zealand as an option besides Australia. NZ seems to be more open to migrants especially from Singapore. Their immigration department actually sends newsletter advising prospective migrants on how to achieve permanent residence and many other great advice. The general feelingthey gave me is, get a job offer in NZ first and the rest will be easy.
Can anyone familiar with NZ comment on this?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
The NZ route is an easier option. It used to be, a lot of people 1st migrate to NZ, wait two years to become kiwis then hop over to Australia. The Aussie govt have special visa/work residence for kiwis. They have also changed and closed a lot of loopholes for this as well. Christchurch with its recent earthquake would mean you can get a house pretty cheap there.

Hi Ash,
Thanks for the reminder. I'm currently exploring New Zealand as an option besides Australia. NZ seems to be more open to migrants especially from Singapore. Their immigration department actually sends newsletter advising prospective migrants on how to achieve permanent residence and many other great advice. The general feelingthey gave me is, get a job offer in NZ first and the rest will be easy.
Can anyone familiar with NZ comment on this?

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The NZ route is an easier option. It used to be, a lot of people 1st migrate to NZ, wait two years to become kiwis then hop over to Australia. The Aussie govt have special visa/work residence for kiwis. They have also changed and closed a lot of loopholes for this as well. Christchurch with its recent earthquake would mean you can get a house pretty cheap there.

And the big question is, what should my stepping step be? I am thinking of doing a trade vocation course in electrical work (electrician) there, graduate first then use the 1 year visa available to to find a job. How do you think?

Another choice would be to endure in Singapore for another 3 years, go for the higher Nitec course in electrical engineering and then apply for PR in both NZ and OZ since electrician is on both countries long term shortage list. The only problem is, I cannot seem to find any information on the web regarding how relevant the Higher Nitec course will be when it comes to assessment from the OZ electrical board. I seriously need advice on this. :o

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Since this folder is so quiet and I have some time before meeting my next client, let me pen down some on my thoughts.

Why do I want to migrate
1. For a more balance work/recreation life.
2. To be able to drive out of my city on Friday 4pm to other towns and city.
3. To raise my future children in a more balanced academic environment.

Why are people fearful of seeking help in this folder/forum
1. I heard that there used to be a resident troll who destroyed the peace here. I am not sure of this and hence shall not comment.
2. My personal feeling is, the moment people asked for help, they get flamed up, down, left and right and most often, the flammer are those higher immortals in this forum. But I do appreciate the fact that there are very nice people around who are most willing to help. People like neddy, nayr, axe, ash have provided me simple postings of their views and answers about my choices and questions. Thank you buddies.

You tweet, there is always something call google, why must we spoonfeed you?!
1. Not everyone is internet savvy. For someone who uses the internet everyday, I also ran into problems searching for certain information.
2. Text and facts only tells us something that we already knew. I guess many people seeking help here is to listen to the views and opinions of those who are already there, or who have gone through the route before. These information hardly becomes available on the internet, except in forums.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not familiar with the trade vocation route, which you seem to be going. I'm pretty sure its in the skilled migration category. Nurses, medical care workers, electrician, carpenter etc are or used to be under the skilled migration visa. You might want to check which visa this belongs to 1st. After that, see what your options in getting recognised qualification for Australia/NZ. TAFE courses definitely gets recognition here. However, you might want to check if there is an equivalent course in Singapore that does the same. There is always a number you can ring for TAFE, perhaps a bridging course or something so you don't have to finish your full diploma in Singapore?

And the big question is, what should my stepping step be? I am thinking of doing a trade vocation course in electrical work (electrician) there, graduate first then use the 1 year visa available to to find a job. How do you think?

Another choice would be to endure in Singapore for another 3 years, go for the higher Nitec course in electrical engineering and then apply for PR in both NZ and OZ since electrician is on both countries long term shortage list. The only problem is, I cannot seem to find any information on the web regarding how relevant the Higher Nitec course will be when it comes to assessment from the OZ electrical board. I seriously need advice on this. :o

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I'm not familiar with the trade vocation route, which you seem to be going. I'm pretty sure its in the skilled migration category. Nurses, medical care workers, electrician, carpenter etc are or used to be under the skilled migration visa. You might want to check which visa this belongs to 1st. After that, see what your options in getting recognised qualification for Australia/NZ. TAFE courses definitely gets recognition here. However, you might want to check if there is an equivalent course in Singapore that does the same. There is always a number you can ring for TAFE, perhaps a bridging course or something so you don't have to finish your full diploma in Singapore?

Hi Ash,
Yes, Vocation/skilled migration is the way for me since I do not have the finances to qualify as investor and neither am I a refugee. I know that I am under qualifed for skilled migration, therefore, I am trying my best to get myself qualified. While I agree that courses like massage therapy, hairdressing, cookery have all been removed for pathway to residence, I am still quite sure that if I can get myself qualified as an electrician, I should be able to apply through the skill migrant program. There are 2 options for me.
1. Higher Nitec in Electrical Engineering. Course to be done in Singapore. But I have to make sure that this course gets recognised with OZ electrical board.
2. Complete a TAFE course (Advance Diploma is Electrical Engineering) in OZ and apply for skill migration.

Will call up the relevant department and ask and in the meantime, hope to have some insights from fellow forummers here. Thanks in advance.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why are people fearful of seeking help in this folder/forum

You tweet, there is always something call google, why must we spoonfeed you?!

The only ones that get taken to task by me are those which ask really dumb questions.

Example "Is NZ a good place to emigrate to?".

The poster gives no background regarding how old he is, what his lifestyle involves, what his hobbies are, whether he's emigrating to retire or work etc etc.

My sarcastic response is invariably... define "good" you twit. "Good" to me means wide open spaces. "Good" to someone else might mean 24 hour shopping malls.

Another dumbass question..... "What the weather like in Australia?".

My rude retort : WHERE in Australia? Darwin is as hot as Singapore and often hotter. Tasmania can freeze your balls off in winter.

I'm always very helpful when someone asks well thought out questions.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reading through this thread I saw some posts on running a biz. I was wondering, do they allow people to set up a simple takeaway small biz from home?
Eg. If an Asian family were to set up a Asian food biz operating from their own kitchen, and prepare takeaways or deliveries?

Is this allowed or does this contravene business and health regulations? Not to mention if neighbours complain about the smell of curry, etc.

If allowed, it seems like a low capital start up for a newbie family to make some income. I know that Asian food is very popular in Melbourne - my uncle used to have a restaurant for nearly 20years till he retired. Lots of customers, but tough to run as difficult to find good staff.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Reading through this thread I saw some posts on running a biz. I was wondering, do they allow people to set up a simple takeaway small biz from home?
Eg. If an Asian family were to set up a Asian food biz operating from their own kitchen, and prepare takeaways or deliveries?

Is this allowed or does this contravene business and health regulations? Not to mention if neighbours complain about the smell of curry, etc.

If allowed, it seems like a low capital start up for a newbie family to make some income. I know that Asian food is very popular in Melbourne - my uncle used to have a restaurant for nearly 20years till he retired. Lots of customers, but tough to run as difficult to find good staff.

You need to register a home business. If it involves commercial food preparation, health, safety and environmental regulations need to be met. Having said that, there are tons of PRC immigrants who simply do it on the quiet without getting caught. When they are busted, they simply move house and start over.

The PRCs are a hardy and determined bunch who aren't going to let some stupid red tape get in the way of making money.

vassily

Alfrescian
Loyal
Been 2 yrs now since arriving in OZ. Have just move to hunter region in NSW and loving the change from outback Qld. Anyway, i'm wondering if anyone could advise me a getting a good migration agent as i'm thinking of getting my son over here from Sing. As he is above 21, i can't get him over as a dependent. Cheers.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not migration agent but the short answer would be he would have to come over on his own merit. There is a possibility that you can sponsor him over under the family reunion visa, but I'm not sure what is the requirement for him. Usually, its for children bringing their parents over.

Been 2 yrs now since arriving in OZ. Have just move to hunter region in NSW and loving the change from outback Qld. Anyway, i'm wondering if anyone could advise me a getting a good migration agent as i'm thinking of getting my son over here from Sing. As he is above 21, i can't get him over as a dependent. Cheers.

vassily

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not migration agent but the short answer would be he would have to come over on his own merit. There is a possibility that you can sponsor him over under the family reunion visa, but I'm not sure what is the requirement for him. Usually, its for children bringing their parents over.

Thanks Ash for your reply,it looks so easy for those Indians and Prc with multi-generations migrating to OZ with ease.Wonder what is their secret.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its the same for them. They probably look through immi.gov.au more thoroughly, I suggest you do the same.

Thanks Ash for your reply,it looks so easy for those Indians and Prc with multi-generations migrating to OZ with ease.Wonder what is their secret.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Order of Australia Medal recipient and two-time NSW Australian of the Year finalist said he loved Australia's egalitarian mentality and other attributes, adding: "The bottom line is I believe in (Australia), although there are some faults it is still the best nation in the world in which to live.

But I don't think it's right for a white Australian to say there is no racism. You have to be an Indian to say there is no anti-Indian sentiment and you have to be Middle Eastern to say there is no Middle Eastern racism.

Eric_Lum post an interesting article.

What Dr Teo said is correct.

Paraphrased into Singapore context: Chinese Singaporeans cannot say that Singapore is not racist. You got to ask the Indian or Malay Singaporean.

Anyone who is jobless will also find Australia a best nation in the world in which to live. No need to survive by picking up carboard boxes to sell.

In Adelaide, 10 tiny bottles of USED Yakult drinks will earn me $1. (10c refund per bottle) :biggrin:

Centrelink deposit free money into account faithfully. (Disability is always a good excuse for not working)

Got a lot of time to go around and make trouble, complaining about what a fuck place Australia is. The trolls love picking on this.

2 nights ago, I had to tell the bogans to leave a shop because they were not buying anything and were frightening the female pharmacist who was serving me.
They were probably after some medicine to make meth. But they were sober and did not make a scene.
Do not need to be rude to them. Just be firm and said in a fatherly tone. They probably lack parental love.

Pity, more Europeans migrating to Australia to look for work. For a change, they are getting racial slur from Aussies, white or not. Jobs are harder to come by and jealousy can mis-direct into racism. My Muslim Indian Singaporean thinks there are more racism against him in Singapore than in Australia.

Last edited: