• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

30 TerraByte HDD

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
$280,000 a year job offer for young patent holder
9 Mar 2010

CHENNAI: R. Shivaraman, a nanotechnology research scholar here, has been hired by hardware manufacturer Seagate Technology at an annual pay packet of $280,000.

Shivaraman holds an Indian patent jointly with C. Gopalakrishnan, who like him is also with the Nanotechnology Research Centre at the SRM University, for an innovation that enables a hard drive to hold a large amount of data - 30 terabyte (TB) - as against the current storage capacity of 500 gigabyte.

"Patent under the US law is awaited," Shivaraman told IANS, talking about his innovative "polymer templated lithography process which allows fabrication of patterned magnetic media with density of around 30 TB".

According to him, the technology for ultra-high data storage is already available and his innovation scores over others in the time taken to fabricate the hard drives.

"I brought an engineering solution to the problem. Using our technology one can make eight hard drives in a minute," he said.

Shivaraman plans to join Seagate in December by which time he will get his doctorate in nanotechnology.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
No idea about Seagate ops.

But if this brillant scientist gets headhunted to work in Seagate USA, then it is another blow to India as more brains gets sucked out of country. All the top Indian doctors are working in 1st world nations and yet India itself has a very poor medical infrastructure with many diseases still prevalent.

As it is, many Indians are working for US software companies and few are coming back to India. What they are doing instead is bringing over their parents to live in the US. Question to ask is - does Seagate have a large mfg plant in India. Singapore, just a few years ago was Seagate's largest ops.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$280,000 a year job offer for young patent holder

That may be alot in India but in Spore $200,000+ plus jobs are common among the MNC community.

Don't have to be brilliant or hold any patents:rolleyes:

They even get share options, which can be alot.

FlipSide

Alfrescian
Loyal
That may be alot in India but in Spore $200,000+ plus jobs are common among the MNC community.

Don't have to be brilliant or hold any patents:rolleyes:

They even get share options, which can be alot.

The salary is all relative based on country, age, other factors etc. He may additional get patent royalties which may be in millions. But again bankers in USA are taking home 100s of millions as bonus !

Personally, I feel, this memory thingy has to migrate out to solid state devices. I don't know how come the HDD is still alive today and kicking.

Snipeshot08

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally, I feel, this memory thingy has to migrate out to solid state devices. I don't know how come the HDD is still alive today and kicking.

Technical discussion only :wink:

Solid-state drives currently still have limitations on the memory size and number of times you can write on it before it get problematic, as compared to HDD, but the mechanical reliability is definitely much better than HDD as it does not have any moving parts :wink:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The salary is all relative based on country, age, other factors etc. He may additional get patent royalties which may be in millions. But again bankers in USA are taking home 100s of millions as bonus !

HDD is more economical & will be around a long time. Looking at SSD, its still pricey at $1,000+ for those 250GB capacities.

Who knows maybe we 'll see some hybrid SSD/mechanica device until SSD prices come down ?