• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

2 S’porean women shortlisted for Commonwealth Antarctic expedition

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
With so many Sporeans suffering with the increase in world food prices, should the money which are to be channelled to sponsor these 2 women be better used to support the less well-off?

------------

SINGAPORE: Two Singapore women have been shortlisted from 80 applicants for an expedition to the South Pole.

They are Lina Goh, a senior engineer, and Sophia Pang, a freelance fitness instructor and IT consultant. Both are aged 36.

But eventually, only one will represent Singapore in the Commonwealth Women’s Antarctic Expedition.

A total of eight women from Commonwealth countries like New Zealand, India and the United Kingdom aim to reach the South Pole on New Year’s Day 2010.

For the Singaporean, she will be the first Singaporean woman to ski to the South Pole.

Lina Goh said: "I’ll just have to prove that I’m a good team player and (I’ll) contribute as much as I can to the team in terms of trying to secure sponsorships, because I think that’s the biggest obstacle for the team."

Sophia Pang, a mother of three, was shocked to make it to the final two, and so was her family.

Sophia said: "I guess my eldest daughter is still in a state of disbelief. But I think it’s a good time for me to put the message to her as well as to everyone else that if you want to do something, just go ahead and try and not to regret not doing it later on."

When it comes down to the final selection of who will represent Singapore in the expedition, organisers say the key factor is whether that person can work well with other members in the team.

In late February, they will head to Scandinavia for training, where the Singapore’s representative will be picked.

— CNA/ir

jw5

Loyal
I'm sorry but I can't understand why a mother of 3 (presumably young school going children) would want to make an expedition to the south pole.
I can understand if she wants to go and do charity or missionary work overseas or go overseas for a job assignment or or do something worthwhile. But give up time with your children who need you around for an adventure? Just don't get it.