• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

160 Holy Gospel is again peeching Quiet Quitting Boi Boi and Gal Gal....why hah

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

What is the point?’: Singapore has more quiet quitters than global average, survey shows​

IMG3052_17.JPG

Some employees are quiet quitting in Singapore due to lack of work-life balance and low salaries. PHOTO: ST FILE
UPDATED

2 HOURS AGO

FacebookWhatsApp

SINGAPORE - When she found out that her peers were earning “a lot more money” than her despite both parties doing the same amount of work, Nancy (not her real name) opted for something many working adults in Singapore have done – she quiet quit.

The teacher in her late 20s told The Straits Times that she had given up on planning exciting lessons for her students.

“I will do only what’s needed. No more fun, no more taking hours to paste stickers and writing meaningful comments on students’ work. What is the point?” she said.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
When questioned, her superior said it was because she was “just a diploma holder” while her peers were degree holders. Nancy is now taking night classes to earn a degree for the sake of a salary increase.

Quiet quitting refers to opting out of tasks beyond one’s assigned duties and becoming less psychologically invested in work.

According to a recent survey by human resources agency Randstad of 1,000 respondents aged between 18 and 67 in Singapore, 35 per cent have quiet quit their job. This is 4 percentage points higher than the global average.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Among those who indicated they had quiet quit, 41 per cent said they did so to improve work-life balance, while 38 per cent said it was because of low compensation and rising cost of living. About 33 per cent cited a lack of career growth opportunities.

Like Nancy, a Singaporean engineer with almost 15 years of experience also became disengaged at work after learning about the wage difference between his salary and those of his expatriate counterparts. The father of two, who wants to be known only as Danny, told ST he had been passionate about his job and had felt his compensation was fair until he found out that some of his colleagues were making a few thousand dollars more than he did.

It made him “absolutely furious” as he felt he was being “severely undercut”. He has been performing at a minimal level at work since then and doing less than his counterparts in the same position.

Quiet quitting “does not happen overnight”, said Calming Hearts Counselling therapist Caroline Ho.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
“It is usually a gradual process. Employers should be mindful of employees, understand their expectations and address them to prevent quiet quitting among them,” she said.

Apart from monetary issues, some cited a lack of passion for their quiet quitting.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
An avid dancer in his mid-30s, for example, became an office worker after failing to forge a career in dancing. Confessing that he does only what is needed of him at work, he told ST he has used his annual leave to run dance workshops for youngsters privately.

A lack of personal time has also caused some employees to quiet quit.

Hazel, an air stewardess in her late 20s, started her job right after the Covid-19 travel restrictions were lifted as she believed it would give her the chance to see the world and enjoy a good salary.

However, she has not been able to spend time with her loved ones as freely as she used to before.

“Life as an air stewardess was difficult, and I often had to deal with passengers and colleagues who were rude and uncaring,” she said. As she had signed a three-year bond, Hazel is unable to quit her job, but she no longer goes the extra mile to serve passengers and takes her time to assist them.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
According to Counseling Perspective psychotherapist and coach Grace Loh, cultivating relationships with like-minded and supportive colleagues can enhance job satisfaction and create a sense of belonging. These, in turn, can dissuade one from quiet quitting.

Noting that humans are complex, founder and chief executive of ExecutiveCounselling.com Lisa Oake said the root cause of quiet quitting could even be an issue that is not totally related to work.

“If you are grappling with the urge to be a quiet quitter, be kind to yourself,” she said.

“Everyone has a unique gift to offer the world but the numbness that accompanies quiet quitting will eventually dampen their creative energy and prevent their true talents from shining through.”

Unfortunately, that may be the case for Nancy, who is certain that she will not be reverting to feeling good about teaching. “Even if my salary increases, I will not be making extra effort. I have lost all will and passion to do what I used to do. My work was not appreciated, so why should a degree mean it will be any different?”

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some employees are quiet quitting in Singapore due to lack of work-life balance and low salaries.

This is what happens when you have a fake labour union pretending to look out for your best interests. :cool:

SwumXol.png

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eg daytime Relation Manager at Bank, evening Customer Relation Manager at 大富豪? Weekend do OnlyFriend to create awareness?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“It is usually a gradual process. Employers should be mindful of employees, understand their expectations and address them to prevent quiet quitting among them,” she said.

Apart from monetary issues, some cited a lack of passion for their quiet quitting.

I usually threaten to fire my serfs if they put in minimal effort and just do what is expected of them. My employees are expected to work hard and be go-getters.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal

Most employers in the workplace are nasty bastards.:cool::o-o:

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
I usually threaten to fire my serfs if they put in minimal effort and just do what is expected of them. My employees are expected to work hard and be go-getters.
U must drive them fast and furious else serf like Grinfreely and TanAhTiu will be too free to express their mad people theory Liao....good job boss