• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

1 in 2 married people in S'pore considered divorce

eErotica69CCBCaoPi

Alfrescian
Loyal

1 in 2 married people in S'pore considered divorce

20121212.084437_divorce.jpg

By Jacqueline Woo
My Paper
Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012

About half of married people in Singapore said they had thought about divorce at some point in their marriage, revealed an Institute of Policy Studies survey commissioned by Marriage Central. However, all the respondents in the study stayed married, citing factors such as support from family and friends, as well as the needs of their children.

Auditor Zachary Lye, 34, has one piece of advice from his mother to thank, for that has helped to keep his three-year-old marriage strong and healthy.

"She told me that I should never let something fester overnight. If not, the seed (of trouble) will grow," he said.

"My wife and I always make it a point to reconcile before the next day."

Help from family members is one factor that can keep marriages going, findings from a study released yesterday showed.

Other factors include the needs of a couple's children, help from friends and religious advisers, and a sense of shared commitment.

These elements were also cited as reasons why the participants in the study were spurred on to remain in their marriages, despite about half of them having considered divorce at some point in their marriages.

The study found that common issues causing stress within marriages include sexual impropriety and infidelity, interference by in-laws, as well as misaligned priorities and different aspirations.

People who often considered divorce tended to have more disagreements over many issues, such as parenting, and often left the house when they were in an argument.

They also desired change in many aspects of their partners, and believed that their partners wanted the same in them.

The survey from February to May involved more than 400 married people. Marriage Central, a working group under the National Family Council that promotes strong and healthy marriages, commissioned the Institute of Policy Studies (IPS) from the National University of Singapore to do the study.

The study also found that children were strong triggers for positive change in marriages with problems, especially when parents listened to their young children's pleas for them to be on better terms.

Couples continued their marriages as they feared that their children would be traumatised or affected negatively in a divorce.

Other mitigating factors, such as the belief that marriage inevitably involves sacrifice as well as professional counselling, also helped couples with problems in their marriages.

Dr Mathew Mathews, an IPS research fellow that led the study, recommended that pre-marriage counselling programmes include post-marriage counselling, as well as training programmes for family members and friends who couples reach out to when faced with marital issues.

What eased the strain for couples

- Couples often first turn to their family, friends and religious advisers for help and support when faced with marital issues.

- Couples feared that their children would be traumatised by a divorce.

- A belief in the importance of sacrifice and commitment encouraged couples to continue in their marriages.

- Pleasant memories couples have from earlier on in their marriages motivated them to stay married.

- Taking collective responsibility for marital problems made it possible for progress to be achieved in tackling marital problems.

- Professional counselling was useful for couples who have attended marriage programmes, as they were less apprehensive about seeking help.

- Couples came up with new methods to cope, such as changing their expectations of their spouses or marriages.

- Couples faced practical considerations and difficulties in obtaining a divorce. These issues include alimony and splitting the house.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
The key word here is "space".
make sure everyone can maintain their projected lifestyle and nobody should impose anything on another.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When gien that time... what to do?

But marriage life not that bad sometimes.

Got good got bad lah.

A successful marriagments depends on the give and take on each side. However my impression is that nowadays Spore honeymoons are very short & the husband soon finds out that marriage is a one sided affair. That they are expected to do the providing. Even in marriages where the wife makes a good living, the husband is expected to foot most of the bills.

jw5

Loyal
Of course lah, you buy shares sure you will also consider selling at any point in time right?

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
With the sinkie women like that, Im surprise that only 1/2 thought of divorce. The other half is probably because scared WC will wack them until broke.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With the sinkie women like that, Im surprise that only 1/2 thought of divorce. The other half is probably because scared WC will wack them until broke.

I'm not surprised because it is probably a gov't sponsored survey. As a politically correct survey did they collect any useful data:confused:

If you look at the survey they didn't even indicate length of marriage. There are no questions asked about $$ & how the lack of it has affected the marriage. They also didn't indicate the responses by males vs females:wink:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's bad to tau chiak. A man must be daring and not be sneak-sneaky.

Should bring the mistress home, introduce her to your wife and have a threesome.

BotakHead

Alfrescian
Loyal
A successful marriagments depends on the give and take on each side. However my impression is that nowadays Spore honeymoons are very short & the husband soon finds out that marriage is a one sided affair. That they are expected to do the providing. Even in marriages where the wife makes a good living, the husband is expected to foot most of the bills.

The ang mo style much better. They discuss terms and conditions before saying "I do".

I find the Singaporean style a bit less practical. SG guys tend to be paiseh to bring this footing of bills up front.

If the husband make much more than the wife and has more remainder after giving his parents etc, then it is okay to foot most of the bills.

If it is the other way round e.g. wife earns more or wife got her rich family support, then the guy should have state his stand from the start. The girl also should be automatic.

Give and take very important. Never bottle up. Speak up.

Just my humble opinion.

BotakHead

Alfrescian
Loyal
A boyfriend should make his girlfriend's pussy wet, not her eyes. A girlfriend should make her boyfriend's cock hard, not his life .

Buikia, you signature very good leh. Substitute boyfriend with husband and girlfriend with wife - secret of a successful marriage. LOL