• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koeman: No mass Southampton exodus this year

ronaldkoeman-cropped_12i3p7culyukt1p10dvu210xrz.jpg

By Alex Fisher
May 22, 2015 22:18:00

After a close-season of extensive upheaval at St Mary's Stadium last summer, the Saints manager is confident that he will not have to deal with many sales this time

Ronald Koeman is confident that Southampton will not have to cope with a raft of close-season departures this summer as they did last year.

Ahead of the Dutchman's first season in charge at St Mary's Stadium, the Saints saw the likes of Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert, Dejan Lovren, Calum Chambers and Luke Shaw all leave for Premier League rivals.

Nevertheless, the team recovered well and managed to challenge for Europa League qualification.

Koeman expects a quieter transfer window this time around, despite the likes of Morgan Schneiderlin and Nathaniel Clyne being linked with moves away.

"I think it will be more stable than last year, that's for sure," he told reporters. "We had so many changes in the team and I don't think that will happen again."

Koeman praised captain Jose Fonte, who was named Southampton's player of the year by fans and team-mates, for taking the time to talk to Clyne and Schneiderlin in a bid to persuade them to sign new deals with the club.

He added: "That's Jose by himself rather than being asked by me.

"The award means a lot for Jose. He is the captain of the team. He would like everybody to stay because that means that we will have a good team for next season."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Advocaat considering Sunderland offer

dickadvocaat-cropped_z1tdsb0cwddn11zx53p4f5uan.jpg

By Peter Thompson
May 22, 2015 23:48:00

After rescuing the Black Cats from relegation, the veteran Dutch coach is mulling over the prospect of remaining in charge but wants assurances over transfer funds

Dick Advocaat has confirmed that Sunderland have offered him the chance to stay on as head coach and he will make a decision next week.

The vastly experienced former Netherlands coach was appointed by the Wearside club in March following Gus Poyet's departure.

Advocaat was charged with the task of keeping Sunderland in the Premier League and a goalless draw at Arsenal on Wednesday ensured that his mission was accomplished.

The 67-year-old is only contracted until the end of the season, but he has been given the chance to remain at the Stadium of Light next year and will mull over his decision in the coming days.

"They have made me an offer, yes," Advocaat explained ahead of the Sunderland's final game of the season against champions Chelsea.

"It is, in principle, not so important in that way, it is also important what the club wants. Can they invest or not? That's also important to know for myself before I take that decision."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Newcastle not expecting favours from Allardyce - Carver

22 May 2015

848490header.jpg

Newcastle United manager John Carver is under no illusions of the task at hand and he is not anticipating any favours from West Ham boss Sam Allardyce on Sunday.

Carver's Newcastle are two points above Hull City and the relegation zone ahead of their final match of the Premier League season as they prepare to come up against a man who has history at St James' Park.

Allardyce was infamously sacked by Newcastle in January 2008 - just eight months after he was appointed by former chairman Freddy Shepherd.

The 60-year-old Englishman, whose future is far from certain at Upton Park despite the club being set for an 11th-place finish, returns to Newcastle with a big part to play in his former side's survival bid and Carver expects West Ham to play for all three points.

"No matter who it is - and I know Sam has been the manager here and [assistant] Neil McDonald is at the club, who is a good friend of mine - you want to win games," Carver said.

"No matter who you're playing against, and even when people are saying there's nothing at stake, you still want to win. Your pride tells you that. This weekend is going to be no different.

"But I'm not bothered about what he's thinking or who is coming here. I'm just bothered about us, I really am.

"I've not spoken to anyone. Neil has sent me a text, but I've not even replied to him. He's my mate, but I'm not interested in West Ham United and Sam."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

United should sign Cech if De Gea leaves - Scholes

22 May 2015

848534header.jpg

Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes believes the club should sign Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech if David De Gea departs during the off-season.

De Gea - out of contract at the end of the 2015-16 season - is tipped to join La Liga giants Real Madrid before the start of next term, with the lure home to the Spanish capital reportedly too difficult to turn down.

Veteran keeper Cech, who has found himself playing second fiddle to Thibaut Courtois during Chelsea's Premier League-winning campaign, is set to leave Stamford Bridge and is a candidate to replace the Spaniard in Manchester next term, though United have competition from rivals Arsenal and French champions Paris Saint-Germain.

"If De Gea does go, United should sign Petr Cech. I remember the effect Edwin van der Sar had on the club when he arrived in 2005," Scholes wrote in his column for The Independent.

"United had struggled since Peter Schmeichel to find a really commanding goalkeeper. Fabien Barthez was the closest we got.

"Edwin came ready-made. He was a Champions League winner, he had four years' Premier League experience with Fulham, and in the end our manager got six extremely successful years out of him.

"Edwin was almost 35 when he joined United. Cech has only just turned 33. He could potentially play another six years for United. There would be no concern about having to give him time to play his way into the position or the demands that the Premier League makes of a goalkeeper new to the country. United won’t want to lose De Gea but there is a solution in the offing."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramsey issues QPR warning

22 May 2015

848636header.jpg

Chris Ramsey has the "stomach for the fight" ahead of a big rebuilding job at QPR and warned fans not to expect a quick return to the Premier League.

Ramsey was appointed as head coach on a permanent basis this week, despite being unable to keep the London club in the top flight.

The 53-year-old, who signed a three-year deal, stressed the importance of stability for Rangers after such a turbulent period, which could yet take a turn for the worse with the threat of a possible Financial Fair Play (FFP) fine.

He said: "I realise there is a big job ahead and I've got the stomach for the fight, everyone needs to pull together now to make sure we end up consolidating and eventually getting back to where we need to be.

"The single biggest challenge is to make sure that we have a long-term plan in place and the club gets on a steady footing before we start launching an attack to get back to the Premier League."

When asked if the club's owners would expect promotion during his three-year contract, he said: "I would expect they would think that, what we have to do as a club is realise there is going to be a period of consolidation and during that time if we end up back in the Premier League, fantastic.

"If we don't, then we still have to make sure that the club has a long-term plan to make sure that everything stays within the margins of putting the club on a stable footing."

Rangers made an immediate return to the Premier League by winning the Championship play-off final a year ago, but Ramsey knows it will not be easy to repeat that feat.

He added: "The Championship is a very difficult division, you have a lot of teams that have been in the Premier League, big names down there.

"We are not looking with any fear at the Championship, but we have to respect it and make sure that whatever happens we don't slide. Obviously our ultimate goal is to be back in the Premier League.

"I would urge patience and urge fans to realise that we are going through a transitional period. It's important that whatever happens we do have a club here in years to come that is on a very stable footing and either in the Premier League or pushing to get back into it."

QPR face a trip Leicester City for their final game of the season on Sunday.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Speroni extends Palace contract

22 May 2015

848635header.jpg

Veteran Crystal Palace goalkeeper Julian Speroni has extended his contract until the end of next season.

The 36-year-old has been a mainstay again for Palace in 2014-15, making 37 appearances in all competitions.

And he will return for a 12th season at Selhurst Park having joined from Dundee in 2004.

"I have one more season on my contract and am really enjoying playing in the Premier League," Speroni told Palace's official website.

"I've said many times this is my home, I will retire here if I can."

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

My future to be decided on Monday - Allardyce

22 May 2015

848673header.jpg

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has said his future will be resolved "one way or another" on Monday.

Speculation over the position of Allardyce, whose contract expires at the end of the season, has intensified over recent weeks and a number of big names have been linked with replacing the former Bolton Wanderers and Newcastle United boss.

The 60-year-old remains hopeful he will continue at Upton Park beyond Sunday's final-day Premier League fixture at Newcastle.

Speaking at a news conference on Friday, he said: "It will all be sorted on Monday - one way or another."

Allardyce will not be present at the meeting with West Ham's owners, as he is heading to Spain to spend time with his family.

"I'm not personally having a meeting, but my agent will be available to speak to the owners," he added.

"At this moment in time, because the season has finished so late, I take the only opportunity I have to go away with my grandchildren, which is half-term, so I'll be shooting off to Spain to see them and whatever will be, will be.

"Tomorrow it will probably be Carlo Ancelotti linked with my position. It is their [West Ham's] decision. I have been comfortable with it. I haven't got a problem with it.

"I can't affect that and, by early next week, the situation will be sorted. As a manager distractions are something that you put aside all the time. Being paid to do your job is what you're here for.

"I'm hopeful Newcastle won't be my final game but we'll wait and see."

Allardyce also explained why he is set to vacate his Canary Wharf flat - a move that has prompted suggestions his time at West Ham is over.

"It's bound to bring up speculation, but the apartment was sold about two months ago," he said.

"In the contract, there was a two-month notice period, which meant that in actual fact I should have been out on the 15th, but they actually extended it for me until the end of the season. The apartment's been bought and I had to move out one way or the other.

"If you want to ring up [estate agents] Morgan Randall and ask them if the apartment's been sold, then give Morgan Randall a ring."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hughes delivers positive update on Bojan

22 May 2015

848834header.jpg

Mark Hughes has revealed Bojan Krkic is on course to return from injury for Stoke City at the start of next season.

After initially taking time to adapt following his close-season move to the Premier League, Bojan gradually blossomed prior to the turn of the year and turned in a series of match-winning performances, only to then suffer a ruptured cruciate ligament in his left knee during an FA Cup tie at Rochdale in January.

The former Barcelona forward is anticipated to be present at the Britannia Stadium on Sunday when Stoke end their campaign with a home game against Liverpool.

Ahead of that match, Hughes said: "He is progressing really well and we are hopeful, all being well, of having him available to us ready for the new season.

"We are hoping that he will be here on Sunday, giving his thanks to the fans for the support he has received from them.

"It's a case of what might have been maybe if we'd had him all year but other players have stepped up to fill in.

"We have had to put up with a number of setbacks this season, and that is why we are more satisfied with what we have achieved this season [in securing a second successive ninth-placed finish] than 12 months ago.

Bojan was a cut-price signing for Hughes, who is eager to add more star quality to his squad prior to the 2015-16 season.

"We can't hang our hat on getting players of his quality for that price again," said the Stoke manager.

"We know our boundaries but we are still looking for good talent to improve the top end of the squad. Our depth is good, if we are going to improve it's the first XI."

Steven Gerrard is set to make his final appearance in a Liverpool shirt against Stoke this weekend and Hughes added: "The crowd at the Britannia will give him a nice welcome, I'm sure.

"He has had a tremendous career, and for the stick he may get, I am sure everybody will appreciate what he has achieved in the game."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Spurs to support Adebayor over family issues

22 May 2015

848864header.jpg

Tottenham have allowed Emmanuel Adebayor to miss Sunday's final Premier League clash at Everton in order for the striker to return home and deal with family issues.

On Wednesday, Adebayor posted on his Facebook page that he had considered suicide over the personal issues, after publishing two earlier posts hitting out at some of his family members.

Mauricio Pochettino takes his Spurs side to Goodison Park hoping to leapfrog Liverpool and end the campaign in fifth, but they will have to do so without Adebayor, whom the coach has given permission to go back to Togo.

"This is a private life and if it's true it is difficult for me to comment on," Pochettino said.

"It is difficult for him and for that we let him go to Togo and fix his problems with his family. I spoke with him early in this week.

"It was a difficult moment. It is hard for him. It is normal he is sad."

On whether Adebayor would remain at White Hart Lane next season, Pochettino said: "This is a different problem.

"One problem is his private live, the other is the sports side and always we need to take a decision for the future of the club. But we take a decision on the player's future not at this moment."

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodriguez will be like a new signing - Adkins

22 May 2015

848996header.jpg

Former Southampton manager Nigel Adkins believes Jay Rodriguez will be "like a new signing" for the club next season after recovering from a serious knee injury.

The 25-year-old recently returned to training following more than a year on the sidelines with an anterior cruciate ligament problem.

Rodriguez had been strongly linked with a move away from St Mary's Stadium at the end of the campaign, but the former Burnley man - brought to Southampton by Adkins in 2012 - signed a new four-year contract earlier this month.

"He's been out for a long period of time with his cruciate injury, which he seems to be fully over now," Adkins told Perform at an event to mark his appointment as an ambassador for the Football Foundation, which is celebrating its 15th anniversary.

"To get a long-term contract, it will definitely be a fresh start and he'll be like a fresh player for the current manager.

"He's a talented boy, he became an England international, so it will be like getting a new signing."

Southampton head into Sunday's season-closing clash at Manchester City with a chance of ensuring UEFA Europa League football for next season, but will have to muscle their way past Tottenham or Liverpool - one and two points ahead respectively - to achieve a top-six finish.

Adkins, though, does not believe a fit Rodriguez would necessarily have ensured Southampton of a European berth by this point.

"There's always going to be ifs, buts and maybes, but the fact of the matter is - other players have come in and done really well," he added. "You look at [Sadio] Mane, for example. At the weekend, he scored the quickest hat-trick in Premier League history and he played in the same position where Jay would normally play.

"When he's fit next year, he'll be wanting to be a revelation for them again."

Since its launch in 2000, the Football Foundation, which is funded by the Premier League, the Football Association and the government through Sport England, has supported 13,000 grassroots sport projects with grants worth £520m and leveraged £736m in additional partnership funding, thereby delivering schemes with a total project cost of £1.24bn.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: No favours for ex-United captain Bruce

22 May 2015

848845header.jpg

Louis van Gaal has reassured Newcastle United that former Manchester United defender Steve Bruce will not get any favours this weekend.

The Dutchman takes his side to the KC Stadium on Sunday with Hull City needing a victory to give them any chance of survival in the Premier League, with Newcastle the side they are battling with to avoid the drop.

With United assured of a top-four place going into the final game, some suggested they could take it easy against former favourite Bruce – who played 414 times during his career at Old Trafford – but Van Gaal insists they will be going all out for the victory.

"I have said to the players in spite of him [Bruce] being a Manchester United guy, we have to do what everybody is expecting from us," he said.

"It's the same approach as ever. We need to defend our image as Manchester United and we are ending in fourth position, so we have to give our utmost best.

"We haven't won so many matches away so it's very difficult to beat Premier League clubs away. We shall do our utmost best. We have to do it for the honesty of the league.

"I have to put my strongest team because we have to give everything for all the other Premier League clubs, and especially of course Newcastle United.

"We have taken six points off Newcastle United and we have to take six points off Hull City, I think."

Van Gaal welcomes back captain Wayne Rooney for the trip, while David de Gea could feature after returning to light training on Friday.

He added: "Wayne is available, he is captain so he shall play.

"I don't know [if David will play]. He trained today but only with the goalkeeping coach. He still has a little problem but I'll wait a day longer as I want him to play against Hull City."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal confident of keeping De Gea

22 May 2015

848862header.jpg

Louis van Gaal remains confident David de Gea will still be at Manchester United next season despite reports linking the goalkeeper with a move to Real Madrid.

The Spaniard has been widely tipped to be Iker Casillas' long-term successor at the Santiago Bernabeu, despite having a contract at United until 2016.

Reports have suggested the Spanish giants will look to make a move for the 22-year-old during the close season, but United boss Van Gaal expects De Gea to still be his number one come August.

"You will have to wait and see how these talks develop," said the Dutchman. "We have to wait and see if De Gea is leaving.

"I believe that David De Gea will stay at Manchester United."

If De Gea was to leave Old Trafford, they have Victor Valdes waiting in the wings and Van Gaal would have no problem putting the former Barcelona stopper in if required.

He added: "Is he good enough to be Manchester United goalkeeper? Of course. Otherwise he wouldn't be here."

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sherwood: Vlaar wants to stay

23 May 2015

849105header.jpg

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood revealed Dutch defender Ron Vlaar wants to stay at the club.

Vlaar - out of contract in June - appeared destined for the exit door, with Premier League giants Manchester United emerging as favourites to sign the 30-year-old on a free transfer.

But thanks to the arrival of Sherwood at Villa Park, Vlaar said he was considering signing a new deal in April, and the veteran centre-back now looks set to extend his stay in Birmingham.

"I've told Ron I want him to stay and he's said he wants to," said Sherwood, whose Villa host Burnley in their final league match of the season on Sunday.

"So his representatives are going to talk the club and I'm confident something can be done. Are we close? Well, put it this way, we're not a million pounds away!

"He's a man, who is quite rightly in demand but I can see him being here next season.

"Ron's going to have a lot of options. He's not long come back from a World Cup where he had a really good tournament."

Sherwood added: "He's indicated to me that he's happy and I'm thinking exactly the same way, so I'm sure it will get done.

"Our best results have come when Ron is playing. He's a great character to have around and has a very calming influence."

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Big clubs would be making a ´mistake´ signing Bolasie

22 May 2015

848747header.jpg

Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew says the Premier League's top clubs would be making a "mistake" by signing winger Yannick Bolasie.

The 25-year-old has been linked with a move away from Selhurst Park following a string of impresive displays for Pardew's men.

And, referencing Bolasie's performance in a 3-1 win at Liverpool last weekend, Pardew says he is not surprised by the speculation.

"I don't think there's many players who get clapped off at Anfield for a performance where he disrupted a team as good as them," said Pardew. "He needs to find the end product. He'll work on that hard next year.

"We might have more of a problem at the end of next year if he starts really banging the net.

"That's really been the thorn in his side, actual goals.

"This season I think it would probably be a mistake for a top club to get him. I don't think he's ready.

"He will be maybe in a year or so when he's got that final hurdle. Then there'll hopefully be no stopping him.

"He's a fantastic boy, a fantastic talent, I love him to bits.

"I call him my magic man and hopefully he can give us a bit of magic on Sunday [at home to Swansea City]."

Asked whether Bolasie should learn from the experience of Wilfried Zaha, who had an unsuccessful spell at Manchester United before returning to Selhurst Park, Pardew added: "Wilf's ambition should be to go back to a big club, he just went too early."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini: I voted for Mourinho as manager of the year

1427782_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
May 24, 2015 01:04:00

The Portuguese dethroned Manchester City this season, winning Chelsea's first Premier League title in five years and the League Cup, with the Chilean backing his rival

Manuel Pellegrini has revealed he voted for Jose Mourinho as manager of the year.

The Chilean, who was overlooked for the same award last season despite winning the Premier League title and League Cup, saw his Chelsea counterpart dethrone Manchester City this term.

Mourinho, who was not rewarded with a monthly recognition from the Premier League during the season, has also claimed the same title-and-cup double but Pellegrini does not bear any grudges.

"I am a member of the LMA [League Managers Association] and I voted for Mourinho because I know what he has achieved is very good," Pellegrini told reporters.

"I can't explain what happened last year, so I don't think about it too much. I don’t think my opinion is very important.

"I wasn't chosen as the best manager, but I was very happy about what I did last season because we won two titles and we won them playing beautiful football and scoring lots of goals.

"I don't know how the decision can be made, but if they choose another manager that is the choice."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sherwood: Vlaar wants to stay

23 May 2015

849105header.jpg

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood revealed Dutch defender Ron Vlaar wants to stay at the club.

Vlaar - out of contract in June - appeared destined for the exit door, with Premier League giants Manchester United emerging as favourites to sign the 30-year-old on a free transfer.

But thanks to the arrival of Sherwood at Villa Park, Vlaar said he was considering signing a new deal in April, and the veteran centre-back now looks set to extend his stay in Birmingham.

"I've told Ron I want him to stay and he's said he wants to," said Sherwood, whose Villa host Burnley in their final league match of the season on Sunday.

"So his representatives are going to talk the club and I'm confident something can be done. Are we close? Well, put it this way, we're not a million pounds away!

"He's a man, who is quite rightly in demand but I can see him being here next season.

"Ron's going to have a lot of options. He's not long come back from a World Cup where he had a really good tournament."

Sherwood added: "He's indicated to me that he's happy and I'm thinking exactly the same way, so I'm sure it will get done.

"Our best results have come when Ron is playing. He's a great character to have around and has a very calming influence."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers ´150 per cent sure´ his job is safe

23 May 2015

849172header.jpg

Brendan Rodgers is "150 per cent sure" he will keep his job as Liverpool manager, despite the Merseyside club's disappointing season.

Speculation has mounted in recent weeks that Rodgers' position is under threat as Liverpool have failed to qualify for the UEFA Champions League after finishing second in 2013-14.

However, the Northern Irishman insists he retains the support of the club's owners Fenway Sports Group ahead of their end-of-season review next week.

"I'm 150 per cent sure I'll be here next season," Rodgers said.

"There is probably a lot more made of the review than what it actually is. I'm constantly reviewing with the owners.

"People want to write about a review - there have been a number of reviews, and throughout the season I've had great communication with the owners.

"I'll speak to them at the end of the season like I did last year, like I did at the end of my first year, and like I've done intermittently throughout the season.

"There is no great big review."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho wants to remain in England after Chelsea

23 May 2015

849176header.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says he would like to remain in England when his days in the Stamford Bridge hot seat come to an end.

Mourinho is currently enjoying a second stint in west London, having spent successful spells at Inter and Real Madrid following his initial Chelsea exit in 2007, and guided his side to the Premier League title this term.

While insisting he has no plans to call time on his Chelsea career, Mourinho is keeping an open mind about managing another English club in future.

"I see myself coaching another club, yes, but I love Chelsea and I am in [owner] Mr Abramovich's hands and until then I am here," he told the BBC's Football Focus.

"The day Mr Abramovich thinks I am not good enough for Chelsea, I want to work, and if possible in England too.

"Until Mr Abramovich says, I don't see myself going. Any club comes to me now and offers me a fantastic project, offers me twice my wages in the contract at Chelsea, no chance."

Earlier this season, Mourinho suggested there was a "clear campaign" against Chelsea, after a string of decisions went against his side.

The Portuguese was fined £25,000 for the outburst and now concedes his use of the word "campaign" was ill-judged.

"I'm not the kind of person to regret," he remarked. "What you did you did. What happened happened. You cannot change things. Time does not go back.

"We had lots of mistakes against us. That’s the reality but that’s football.

"Maybe ‘campaign’ is not a nice word. Maybe I would take that word out from my explanation and my comments, but that’s the reality.

"We had very bad decisions over a big period of time. But I also made bad decisions, so no problem."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Former Southampton managers hail ´excellent season´

23 May 2015

849190header.jpg

Former Southampton managers Nigel Adkins and Lawrie McMenemy have heaped praise on Ronald Koeman for guiding the club to the brink of European qualification.

Southampton, along with Liverpool and Tottenham, are one of three clubs fighting for two guaranteed UEFA Europa League berths in the final round of Premier League fixtures on Sunday, with Koeman's side set to travel to Manchester City.

And Adkins, who guided Southampton from the third tier to the top flight during his stint in charge from 2010 to 2013, says continental football would be just reward for a season that has exceeded all expectations.

"I joined Southampton a few years ago when we were down at the bottom of League One and the dream then was 'can we get to Europe?'," Adkins told Perform as he and McMenemy were named ambassadors for the Football Foundation, which is celebrating its 15th anniversary.

"To see the club on the verge of that now is fantastic for Southampton.

"Ronald's done a great job. He lost some high-calibre players, but they've continued to go from strength to strength."

McMenemy, who managed Southampton from 1973 to 1985, added: "At the beginning of the season, like everyone else, I assumed the door's open.

"Half the outfield players went, the manager [Mauricio Pochettino] went and there were changes in the boardroom and I think everybody expected problems during the season. Fourth-bottom would have been success in some people's minds.

"The most important appointment was the manager Ronald Koeman - great experience, great stature.

"That appointment changed everything for a more positive angle. There was money - that was the one plus about players leaving. He used the money wisely.

"The players he brought in, with due respect, were unknown to the man on the terrace, so that added to the excitement of it all. But he knew them.

"The supporters will be able to celebrate what's been an excellent season."

Since its launch in 2000, the Football Foundation, which is funded by the Premier League, the Football Association and the government through Sport England, has supported 13,000 grassroots sport projects with grants worth £520m and leveraged £736m in additional partnership funding, thereby delivering schemes with a total project cost of £1.24bn.

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers calls on Liverpool fans to support Sterling

23 May 2015

849239header.jpg

Raheem Sterling deserves unwavering support from Liverpool's fans, despite his ongoing contract wrangle, according to manager Brendan Rodgers.

Talkes between Sterling's camp and the club planned for Friday were reportedly cancelled after the England attacker's agent claimed he would not sign a deal worth "£900,000 a week".

Sterling's future has been the subject of intense scrutiny in recent weeks, as the 20-year-old appears keen to pursue an exit from Anfield when the transfer window re-opens.

Arsenal and Manchester City are thought to be Sterling's most interested suitors, but Rodgers has hailed his player's continued efforts to improve himself on the pitch, despite the distractions away from it.

Rodgers said: "My message to the supporters would be: 'This is a young boy who in my time as manager has given the football club everything'.

"He was thrust into the team at 17 years of age. In the following period he has been exceptional for me. He has had dips in form and performances but only because his standards are so high.

"He's a young man who has obviously passed on his career to other people and, unfortunately, whether people perceive it as right or wrong, he is being led by the representative.

"But the young boy I see on a daily basis and who I work with is still the same boy who wants to learn and I think the supporters will just continue to show what they always do, which is wonderful support for every player in the Liverpool shirt."