• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koeman must strengthen attack for Europa League challenge - McMenemy

1 June 2015

854327header.jpg

Southampton need to bring in reinforcements up front in order to cope with the demands of European football, according to former manager Lawrie McMenemy.

The south-coast club finished seventh in the Premier League in Ronald Koeman's first season in charge, with their place in the UEFA Europa League confirmed when Arsenal beat Aston Villa in last Saturday's FA Cup final.

Key players such as Nathaniel Clyne and Morgan Schneiderlin have been linked with moves away despite their success last term.

But McMenemy, who spent 12 years as Southampton manager from 1973 to 1985, told Perform: "Ronald Koeman will definitely want to strengthen.

"He'll also want to shut the door and not let the Clynes and Schneiderlins go. If you assume he can keep them the defence has been best in the country up until recently."

Graziano Pelle - signed from Koeman's former club Feyenoord in July last year - led the way on the goalscoring front with 16 goals.

Jay Rodriguez is poised to return from a knee ligament injury that forced him to miss all of the 2014-15 season.

However, McMenemy added: "Rodriguez will be fit, but he possibly an extra forward or two, we need to get more help up there."

Lawrie McMenemy was speaking at an event for the Football Foundation, which is funded by the Premier League, The FA and the Government through Sport England, and is celebrating 15 years of improving the country's grassroots football facilities.

McMenemy was unveiled as a Football Foundation Ambassador and was speaking at a visit to one of nearly 500 3G pitches the Foundation has delivered. Many of these pitches are used by professional clubs' community trusts' outreach work.

Since its launch in 2000, the Foundation has supported 13,000 grassroots sport projects with grants worth £520million and leveraged £736m in additional partnership funding, thereby delivering schemes with a total project cost of £1.24bn.

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Taylor agrees new Swansea City deal

836222_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Jun 1, 2015 16:36:00

The Wales international, who has been a regular in Garry Monk's side this season, signed a new contract with the club that will see him stay at the Liberty Stadium until 2019

Swansea City full-back Neil Taylor has ended speculation over his future by agreeing a new four-year deal with the club.

Wales international Taylor, previously linked with a move away from the Liberty Stadium, impressed at left-back this season following Ben Davies' departure to Tottenham.

Taylor was a regular for Garry Monk's side as they achieved a club-record placing of eighth in the Premier League and has been rewarded with a new deal that keeps him tied down until 2019.

The 26-year-old's previous contract was due to expire at the end of next season, although he had been widely expected to agree fresh terms.

Taylor will now link up with Chris Coleman and Wales for next week's Euro 2016 qualifier against Belgium.

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Newcastle to appoint McClaren as manager

steve-mcclaren-derby-county-championship-28022015_ywxmsr7bc3ad1jv9tjojmd887.jpg

By Graeme Bailey
Jun 3, 2015 14:19:00

The former Derby County boss has agreed to become the new manager at St James' Park, despite having twice turned down the opportunity to take over during the 2014-15 season

Newcastle United will appoint Steve McClaren as their new manager at the third attempt.

The former Derby County boss, who was sacked by the Championship club after their failure to reach the play-offs, has seen off competition from Patrick Vieira and Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka to land the top job at St James' Park.

McClaren had twice rejected advances from Newcastle owner Mike Ashley during the 2014-15 campaign, first turning them down in January before again declining the opportunity to move to the Tyneside club with three games of the season remaining.

The Magpies were embroiled in a battle to avoid relegation at the time, with caretaker boss John Carver - who is not considered as a serious candidate to take the role on a full-time basis - ensuring the club's safety on the final day.

Manchester City development coach Vieira had been in the running to take over at St James' Park and was widely considered as the fan favourite to take the job.

Former Real Madrid assistant Karanka, who saw his Middlesbrough side beaten in the Championship play-off final by Norwich City, was also high on the list of candidates as Ashley and the Newcastle hierarchy accelerated their search for a new manager.

But McClaren has emerged as the preferred choice and an official announcement is expected shortly, although the former England boss is not expected back from his summer holiday until Tuesday.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fellaini: My Man Utd future is to be a defensive midfielder

186397.jpg

Jun 3, 2015 17:53:03

The Belgian believes his best position remains in a deeper role and says the squad have now adapted to Louis van Gaal's methods

By Greg Stobart

Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini insists his best position is as a defensive midfielder despite his impressive form this season in an attacking role.

Fellaini had a key role to play at United this season, making 26 Premier League appearances and scoring six goals to help Louis van Gaal's side to a top four finish.

The Belgian played mainly as an attacking midfielder under Van Gaal after he struggled to adapt in his first campaign following his €32 million transfer from Everton in 2013.

"Yes I see myself as a defensive midfielder, I feel comfortable playing there and if the manager decides he wants to play me there, I will," Fellaini told Goal on the set of a New Balance Football shoot.

"At the moment I play more up front, so it’s good for me.

"I score goals so in football it's important. I’m happy to play there and win some important games."

Fellaini, 27, was a regular starter in a United side that started slowly in Van Gaal's first season and picked up just 13 points from their first 10 league games of the campaign.

But the club managed to achieve their main target of a return to the Champions League next season, and Fellaini believes the players have now adapted to Van Gaal's methods.

"Now we know how we work, his philosophy, how we have to play, how we have to think. So that's why we won a lot of games in the last few months." Fellaini added.

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Premier League facing record low referee shortage

1481712_heroa.jpg

Jun 4, 2015 23:37:00

Just one match official has been recruited ahead of next season, despite Chris Foy's retirement, leaving a total of 17 to call upon including big injury doubt Phil Dowd

By Alex Young

The Premier League is facing an unpreceedated shortage of referees for the upcoming season, according to You-Are-The-Ref.com.

The independent referees organisation state Championship official Graham Scott will be the only referee promoted to top-flight duties despite the retirement of Chris Foy and Phil Dowd's ongoing injury concerns.

Scott's promotion leaves the Premier League with a record low of 17 referees to call upon, a number which includes Dowd, who Goal understands only has a small chance of passing fitness tests due to a knee injury.

"Referees are human beings who pick up injuries and they also need time to recharge like everybody else," former Premier League referee chief Keith Hackett told You Are the Ref.

"The current pool of elite referees is so depleted that match officials already face a fixture list nightmare that gives them little or no respite from making knife-edge decisions in high octane games that are sometimes just a few days apart.

"When you put people into that sort of pressure cooker environment then mistakes will inevitably occur.

"The PGMOL needs to take urgent action and this means giving more talented referees from the Championship the chance to step up to the plate."

Mark Halsey also questioned the ambition shown by the likes of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited in searching for potential candidates to make the step up to top-tier officiating.

He added: "I know of some officials who weren't looked at other than by their match assessors during last season. Not once. How are they supposed to progress?

"Howard Webb [PGMOL's Select Group Manager] now has the opportunity to get out more and to watch games. To get out of a nice comfortable studio and to see a lot more referees."

Scott made his Premier League bow in November, officiating a 1-1 draw between Burnley and Aston Villa, before replacing an injured Dowd at half-time when West Brom hosted Southampton in February.

Dowd's withdrawal at the Hawthorns was due to knee damage which still troubles him, leaving the Premier League with 16 match-fit officials for the August 8 kick-off having previously never had fewer than 18.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Official: Advocaat makes U-turn to take Sunderland job

1122552_heroa.jpg

Jun 4, 2015 15:59:00

The 67-year-old initially announced his retirement from management after guiding the Black Cats to Premier League survival, but has been persuaded to return on a one-year deal

Dick Advocaat has reversed his decision to retire from management after being persuaded by Sunderland to return on a one-year deal.

The 67-year-old was appointed as replacement to the sacked Gus Poyet in March on a contract which ran until the end of the season and saved the club from relegation with one game remaining.

"After a lot of discussions with Ellis [Short, chairmain] and Lee [Congerton, sporting director], they convinced me that I am the right man for the club," he told the club's official website.

"It was a great feeling to be part of Sunderland in the last few months, the experience was something very special and after talking with Lee, Ellis and of course my family, we all agree it is the right decision."

Advocaat, who has nearly 20 managerial jobs in a coaching career spanning over 28 years, was visibly teary-eyed on the touchline as Sunderland confirmed their Premier League survival after a 0-0 draw at Arsenal.

Congerton added: "Dick was always our No.1 choice and we were determined we weren't going to take 'no' for an answer ... I'm absolutely delighted that he has agreed to return."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stankovic: Mourinho is one of a kind

Jun 5, 2015 09:00:00

The former Inter midfielder won the Champions League under the Portuguese coach in 2010 and sees similarities between that team and the Juventus side that has made the final

Former Inter midfielder Dejan Stankovic has described Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, with whom he won the Champions League in 2010, as "one of a kind".

Mourinho led Inter to a surprise victory in Europe's top competition five years ago, seeing off his rival Pep Guardiola's Barcelona team in the semi-finals.

And Stankovic, who is now an assistant coach at Udinese, remembers his time under the Portuguese at San Siro as the best period of his career.

"For me Mourinho is one of a kind," he said in an interview for online football management game Top Eleven, for which Mourinho is an ambassador.

"And as he says, he is 'the special one'. Most of all because he managed to bring something out in me that I didn't know I had. It's incredible. I will never stop thanking him for those two splendid years that we spent together.

"I'm still in touch with him. I called him last week to congratulate him on his latest achievement, which I know won't be the last one of his career. He'll always be someone I look up to.

"He was not able to make any headway in the Champions League this year but I know him well, and I know that he will aim to win it next year.

"Top Eleven players are all managers and they follow the advice of Jose Mourinho. Because he is one who loves strategy, who studies the opponent and who puts the right team on the pitch to challenge the opponent."

Stankovic admitted he was surprised to see Juventus reach the Champions League final - and sees similarities with the Inter side he starred in.

"In the final round it reminded me of Inter in 2010 when they managed to get through in the second to last match," he recalled. "With great spirit and determination they managed to make it to the final.

"It's nothing new for Barcelona, it's the norm for them, as they have a very high overall level - not just the strikers.

"Everyone is talking about the fantastic trio up front but as far as I'm concerned, defence and midfield really matter as well. It will be a great final and I don't think it will be an easy win for Barcelona.

"I know it will be a hard-fought match that will require a lot of strategy. I don't expect there to be many goals but for those who like football and well-orchestrated tactics, it should be a good show."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Austin hints at QPR departure

5 June 2015

856305header.jpg

Charlie Austin has hinted at a possible exit from QPR after his 18-goal haul was not enough to keep the club in the Premier League.

Austin enjoyed an impressive first season in the top flight and, despite the club dropping to the Championship, the former Burnley man was rewarded with an England call-up.

The 25-year-old is in line to make his international debut against the Republic of Ireland on Sunday but was quizzed about his club future this week.

Austin told sections of the British media: "I feel like I've worked hard enough this season for QPR to try to be a Premier League player.

"But at the moment I've still got a year left, so what the future holds, that's up to the club and my agent to sort out.

"I just want to be fully focussed on these next two weeks with England, but then I'll speak to [head coach] Chris [Ramsey] and [director of operations] Les [Ferdinand] to tell them my thoughts and they'll tell me theirs.

"It was my first Premier League season. On a personal level, if you had said to me I would end up with 18 goals, I would have said I would have been delighted with that.

"Unfortunately, as a team, we underachieved and my goals couldn't help QPR stay in the league."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Di Maria's lob against Leicester City voted as Premier League's goal of the season

angel-di-maria-premier-league-manchester-united-05102014_1qfekzi9tya7e1lnbmt2xh2sow.jpg

By Chris Davie
Jun 5, 2015 12:48:00

The Manchester United winger came out on top against Philippe Coutinho's strike against Southampton in the final round of voting on the Premier League's official Twitter page

Angel Di Maria's scooped lob in Manchester United's 5-3 defeat to Leicester City has been voted as the Premier League's best goal of the season.

The Argentine's effort topped the poll ahead of Philippe Coutinho's strike against Southampton in the final round of voting on the Premier League's official Twitter page.

To get to the final, Di Maria's goal won the vote ahead of Jermain Defoe's strike against Newcastle United and Charlie Adam's effort inside his own half against Chelsea.

Di Maria struggled in his debut season at United after joining from Real Madrid for a British record fee of €75 million last summer but has insisted that he intends to stay at Old Trafford this summer.

"I have just finished my first season playing for Manchester United," he told The Sun.

"It was a hard season for me. I think it was hard because it was another country and another league, and this league is harder than the Spanish one. So, I couldn't adapt myself as I wanted to.

"Now I will play the Copa America and then I will move back to Manchester for next season and do my best there."

Di Maria is currently training with the Argentina national side ahead of the Copa America this summer, with Gerardo Martino's men to face Bolivia in a warm-up game on Saturday.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ferdinand: World-beater Pogba is haunting Man United

pogba-juventus_fxzgkzpk95sa14j9g269vt0hf.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Jun 5, 2015 23:57:00

The Frenchman has emerged as one of the world's best midfielders during his time at Juventus and his former Old Trafford team-mate admits he tried everything to get him to stay

Rio Ferdinand says Paul Pogba can become the best player in the world and believes Manchester United made a huge mistake in allowing him to leave on a free transfer and join Juventus in 2012.

The France midfielder, who has developed into one of the most coveted midfielders on the planet during his time in Italy, is set to feature in the Champions League final this weekend, with Massimiliano Allegri’s side facing off against Luis Enrique’s Barcelona in Berlin.

Manchester City have been heavily linked with a bid for Pogba, while PSG are understood to have agreed a €80 million fee with Juve for the 22-year-old, and Ferdinand is unsurprised by the attention being afforded to his former team-mate, whom he says can win the Ballon d’Or by 2019.

“I’m not surprised Paul Pogba is being talked of as a €96m player — neither am I surprised that teams like Manchester City want to sign him,” he wrote in The Sun.

“In fact I would confidently predict that, provided he stays injury-free, Pogba will be the world player of the year within the next four years. Yes, he is that good.

“As a former team-mate of the Frenchman’s at Manchester United, I saw first-hand what Pogba could do and what a top player he could become.”

Ferdinand says that he attempted to convince Pogba to stay at Old Trafford when the midfielder grew frustrated at his lack of first-team opportunities, and believes that United’s failure to retain him has come back to haunt the club.

“When he started talking about leaving United I decided to take matters into my own hands and pulled him aside to give him the hard word,” he continued.

“I desperately wanted Paul to stay at Old Trafford and asked him what the hell he was doing. I then said to him: ‘What do you want?’ and his reply was: ‘I want to be the best player in the world.’

“For me United was the best place to do that. I told him that everything he needed was right there and that his time would come.

“But he wasn’t having it, he had to play and felt he should be playing and had made up his mind to go.

“I knew if he left it would come back to bite United on the backside.

“It was about timing really. The manager wasn’t quite ready to start Paul in the team every week and he wasn’t prepared to wait because he was impatient to get on with it.

“Now he’s in tomorrow night’s Champions League final and understandably feels vindicated in his decision.

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Henderson urges Sterling to stay at Liverpool

458539_heroa.jpg

Jun 5, 2015 15:45:00

The 20-year-old has expressed a desire to leave, with the likes of Arsenal, Manchester United & Real Madrid all linked, but his current team-mate hopes no move materialises

Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson has urged Raheem Sterling to stay at Anfield.

The 20-year-old has told the Reds that he intends to leave this summer, with controversial agent Aidy Ward insisting that even a £900,000-a-week contract offer would not convince him to stay.

Liverpool subsequently cancelled planned talks over a new agreement, with Arsenal and Manchester United reportedly keen while new Real Madrid boss Rafael Benitez has hinted at interest.

"He's left his future to [his agent] in regards to what he wants to do," Henderson told reporters. "Raheem Sterling is a fantastic player. He's been brilliant for England and I hope he will stay at Liverpool.

"He's a great person and a great lad. He's getting a lot of criticism because of the contract situation but he's first-class as a person. All the lads love him whether it's with England or Liverpool.

"He's a great professional. His work ethic is fantastic. He works as hard as he can and wants to improve all the time."

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bertrand: I should be Chelsea's first-choice left-back

ryan-bertrand-england_alxdc66gthr81x7cv96u3hm5j.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Jun 6, 2015 00:57:00

The Saints full-back struggled to cement his place in the Blues' first-team during his nine-year stay at Stamford Bridge but insists he is good enough to play for the champions

Ryan Bertrand claims that he should be Chelsea’s first-choice left-back, but insists that he is “fantastically happy” at Southampton.

The 25-year-old left Stamford Bridge to join the Saints in 2014, initially on loan, before later making the move permanent in a £10 million deal earlier this year.

Bertrand spent nine years with the Blues but made just 57 appearances for the club and he maintains that he should currently be in Jose Mourinho’s first-team, but admits his transfer to the Saints has given him the freedom to develop as a player.

“I know I should still be at Chelsea and I should still be playing but it is no drama," he is quoted as saying by the Daily Mirror.

“That’s my inner confidence. It’s nothing to do with my capabilities that I’m not there, it’s purely circumstance.

“Now I play at Southampton I really feel like a footballer. When the team wins and you are playing consistently, you feel good about it. You get a day off and feel like you deserved a day off.

“Every time you played it felt like you were having an audition. Playing regularly, you can be really aggressive in what you do and try new things.

“I am playing week in week out and developing as a footballer.”

Bertrand has also explained the rationale behind his departure from the Blues, maintaining that he made the move to bring some stability to both himself and his family.

“It has been massive for me. Every summer I would come back and ask ‘am I going, am I staying?’ After all the loans you get to the age where you need consistency, not only for yourself but your family," he added.

“You’re getting dragged around the country, left right and centre and there comes a time where it’s not, ‘Right, I’m not doing it anymore, I need a comfort zone’ - you just need that base where you can develop your game and put your stamp on games."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal unprepared to stump up £25million for Morgan Schneiderlin with Arsene Wenger considering alternatives

• Arsenal unwilling to pay £25m for Southampton's Morgan Schneiderlin
  • Wenger does not believe that his squad needs any major reinforcements
  • Manchester United look to be in poll position to sign the French midfielder
By Rob Draper for The Mail on Sunday
Published: 22:36, 6 June 2015 | Updated: 23:24, 6 June 2015

Arsenal are baulking at the £25million Southampton are demanding for Morgan Schneiderlin and are considering alternatives, having been given confidence in their midfield strength by the rise of Francis Coquelin.

Manager Arsene Wenger has already indicated he feels the squad does not need major additions this summer, although Arsenal are expected to approach Chelsea about a move for Petr Cech later this month.

Arsenal are not convinced about spending big money on outfield additions, even though fans will want to see major signings arrive to challenge for the Premier League title.

2959A99400000578-0-image-a-24_1433622789452.jpg

Morgan Schneiderlin (right) tracks Arsenal's Hector Bellerin during a Capital One Cup game last September

2959A9AF00000578-0-image-a-27_1433622893254.jpg

Schneiderlin (right) challenges potential new teammate, Manchester United's Juan Mata, in January

Coquelin’s emergence as a holding midfielder in the last six months, which culminated in a superb performance in the FA Cup final, means that Arsenal are reassessing targets for the summer.

Manchester United could sign the Southampton midfielder, with Louis van Gaal also considering Bayern Munich’s Bastian Schweinsteiger as he looks to recruit a holding midfielder.

Manchester Utd target Star Man Stats: Morgan Schneiderlin

2914D85000000578-0-image-m-4_1432636103071.jpg

2959AB0900000578-0-image-m-29_1433622978759.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur are also believed to be interested in the combative midfielder

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus to offer £5million for Manchester United's Robin van Persie as the Dutchman goes into the last year of his contract

• Juventus will make a £5million bid to sign Robin van Persie
  • Van Persie wants to stay in Manchester for family reasons
  • The 31-year-old believes he has another four years playing at the top
  • Van Persie’s future hinges on if Edison Cavani or Gonzalo Higuain sign
  • Juventus lost 3-1 to Barcelona on Saturday in Champions League final
By Rob Draper for The Mail on Sunday
Published: 22:33, 6 June 2015 | Updated: 23:34, 6 June 2015

Juventus will make a £5million bid to sign Robin van Persie, with the Dutch striker due to meet Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal to discuss his future at Old Trafford.

Van Persie is keen to stay in Manchester for family reasons and is willing to see out the final year of his contract.

He believes he has another four years at the top and, although he suffered an ankle injury against Swansea in February which kept him out for six weeks, he was fit to play for most of the season but was not Van Gaal’s first-choice striker.

296307B400000578-0-image-a-5_1433625259540.jpg

Robin van Persie wore the captain's armband for Holland in their 4-3 loss to USA earlier this week

293FB1B400000578-0-image-a-6_1433625678496.jpg

Van Persie’s future will hinge on whether Gonzalo Higuain is likely to arrive at the club

With on-loan Radamel Falcao having left United, Van Persie’s future will hinge on whether Edison Cavani or Gonzalo Higuain are likely to arrive at the club this summer and therefore restrict his first-team chances.

If Van Gaal indicates that Van Persie is likely to be his No 3 striker next season when they meet later this month, then the player will probably seek a new challenge.

Juventus would pay only around £5m for Van Persie, who is 32 in August, but it is understood that managing director Giuseppe Marotta is intent on pushing the deal through.

29690E8800000578-3113828-image-m-9_1433625990840.jpg

Van Persie is still in touch with former United teammate Patrice Evra, who now plays for Juventus

29690E9000000578-3113828-image-a-10_1433626057994.jpg

The good friends could once again link up if Van Persie makes the move to Turin

Van Persie could expect more frequent first-team football in Turin.

Last week, speaking to Dutch media, Van Persie revealed his admiration for the Italian club.

‘I’m still in touch with Patrice Evra and he tells me about the way they work,' van Persie said.

'It’s very different to the Dutch and English approach but it obviously pays off.’

2968D81D00000578-0-image-a-2_1433625069236.jpg

Patrice Evra has gone on to play in the Champions League final for Juventus since leaving United

2968FF8200000578-0-image-a-7_1433625744418.jpg

Juventus will be looking to bolster their Serie A winning squad after their Champions League final loss

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool close to signing Bolton goalkeeper Adam Bogdan on free transferLiverpool are set to complete a move for Bolton keeper Adam Bogdan

• The 27-year-old is out of contract at the Macron Stadium this summer
  • Bogdan impressed the Reds after he put in a man-of-the-match display at Anfield in the FA Cup fourth round back in January
  • Brendan Rodgers and his scouting team kept a close tab on him ever since
  • James Milner has already agreed to join Brendan Rodgers' side
By Matt Barlow for MailOnline
Published: 10:42 GMT, 5 June 2015 | Updated: 13:39 GMT, 5 June 2015

Adam Bogdan is set to sign for Liverpool on a free transfer from Bolton.

The Hungary international goalkeeper is expected to complete the move to Merseyside next month.

It dashes Neil Lennon's hopes of keeping him at the Macron Stadium.

295FDEFD00000578-3112052-image-a-2_1433500473263.jpg

Adam Bogdan is out of contract this summer and is expected to leave Bolton to join Liverpool

2504DE5900000578-3112052-image-a-1_1433495098216.jpg

Bogdan (right) was in inspired form for the Trotters as they drew 0-0 at Liverpool in the FA Cup fourth round

Bogdan, who is out of contract after eight years at Bolton, produced a fabulous performance during a goalless draw at Anfield in the FA Cup, in January.

He then damaged ankle ligaments in training days later and missed the replay but Liverpool has taken note, as reported by Sportsmail at the time.

Brendan Rodgers and the Anfield scouting team have kept a close eye on the 27-year-old's fitness and form, keen to apply pressure to established No 1 Simon Mignolet.

Andy Lonergan started the last campaign as Bolton's first-choice 'keeper but Bogdan impressed Lennon, who took charge in October, and forced his way into the team.

The Hungarian returned to full fitness and was back in the team at the end of the season but has been unable to reach an agreement with a club he joined in 2007.

240B238D00000578-3112052-image-a-4_1433500874806.jpg

Bogdan will provide competition to current Liverpool No 1 Simon Mignolet

2959882B00000578-3112052-James_Milner_in_training_with_the_England_squad_at_St_George_s_P-a-3_1433500696446.jpg

James Milner, pictured in training with the England squad on Thursday, has already agreed to join Liverpool

'We would like him here next season,' said manager Lennon, in April. 'That would be a very good start to our rebuilding process.'

A £1.2million bid from Mainz was rejected last summer and the German club retained an interest.

Stuttgart and Hannover were also keen. As were Stoke who seem set to lose Asmir Begovic, but the chance to move to Liverpool and to challenge Mignolet had obvious appeal.

Liverpool have already agreed a deal to sign England international James Milner on a free transfer from Manchester City.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ex-England star Gascoigne: Sterling should embrace criticism

8 June 2015

raheemsterling-cropped_1ong8a5lxaujj1r4hjfq19d21j.jpg

Paul Gascoigne has told England forward Raheem Sterling to embrace the criticism he is getting from the terraces because it proves he is "doing something right".

Liverpool star Sterling was roundly booed during Sunday's friendly against the Republic of Ireland, with the 20-year-old having been criticised in recent weeks for an apparent desire to leave Anfield, leading to England manager Roy Hodgson saying he needs to "grow thicker skin" to deal with the jeers.

Gascoigne knows all too well about being under scrutiny having been involved in several controversies during his time playing for England, but the former midfielder is revered as one of the best players to wear the Three Lions shirt.

And the former Newcastle United, Tottenham and Rangers man believes Sterling should be flattered by the close attention he is getting.

Speaking to BBC 5Live he said: "There are 11 players on the pitch and Raheem was picked out. That means he is doing something right, because Roy knows he is a great player.

"I'd say to Sterling if you are getting kicked left, right and centre and getting booed it is because they are scared. They don't want you playing and don't want you on the ball because you are dangerous. Take it is as a compliment.

"Take a little bit from your club manager, a little bit from England manager and a little bit from what is being said by other people as well. The time to worry is when they stop talking about you."

Gascoigne was speaking ahead of a screening of a film celebrating his football career.

The 48-year-old has had well-documented off-field problems, and said he was happy to have been diagnosed as an alcoholic.

"I didn't know what was going on. Why did I wake up at 5am and want a drink? It was not normal," Gascoigne added.

"People want to know if there is any medication they can take when they have an illness and it was a relief. I am happy in life, I am happy with the way things are going.

"I know it won't last forever because I know what the press can write. The lies written about me over the last two years have been horrendous and you have to be strong to get through that.

"I accept that is going to be for life for me. I admit I haven't dealt with it properly sometimes and hit the drink, it hasn't be month-long benders it has been a few days and I have paid the consequences."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cech set to meet with Chelsea to discuss future

8 June 2015

858349header.jpg

Goalkeeper Petr Cech is set to meet with Chelsea's hierarchy to discuss his future with the Premier League champions.

The Czech Republic international largely played second fiddle to Thibaut Courtois at Stamford Bridge this season and has been heavily linked with the likes of Arsenal, Manchester and Paris Saint-Germain.

Manager Jose Mourinho has frequently expressed his desire for Cech to remain, but the player himself hinted at a possible move.

"First I have to agree with the club what the conditions would be for leaving," he said ahead of his country's Euro 2016 qualifier against Iceland on Friday.

"Next week we will have a meeting with Chelsea. At the moment it is with my agent. When it is clearer and all the cards are on the table, we will decide.

"I believe that for what I have done for the club and what the club has done for me, we can arrange it so we are all happy.

"I keep all options open, regardless of the country. I will decide based on what is best for me and my family. It does not matter whether it is England, Germany, France or Spain.

"If I move, it brings difficulties. It must change everything, look for housing, a school for children and so on.

"Therefore, the sooner I know what to do the better. I can plan everything and even rest before the new season."

Cech moved to Chelsea in 2004 when Claudio Ranieri was in charge, but it was Mourinho who gave him his debut and he has since kept a record number of clean sheets for the club.

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

West Ham to name manager in next 48 hours

8 June 2015

858181header.jpg

West Ham are hopeful of naming their new manager in next 48 hours, with former defender Slaven Bilic widely tipped to take the role.

The Premier League side are searching for a replacement for Sam Allardyce, whose departure was announced just a few minutes after the season-ending loss to Newcastle United.

"West Ham United's search for a new manager looks to be entering its final stages, with the club hoping to make an announcement within the next 48 hours," the club said in a statement.

"The board cleared their diaries and spent the weekend meeting and interviewing applicants and, with the shortlist now narrowed down, talks are entering an advanced stage with the favoured candidates."

Bilic, who played for West Ham between 1996 and 1997, was most recently in the Turkish Super Lig with Besiktas, where he spent two years, and has also managed Croatia.

The likes of Real Sociedad's David Moyes, Frank de Boer of Ajax and Unai Emery - who led Sevilla to a second consecutive UEFA Europa League trophy this season - have also been linked.

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sol Campbell wants to be Mayor of London

sol-campbell_45fuul2k731h1x195nwvzrans.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Jun 8, 2015 11:36:00

The former England and Arsenal defender hopes to be chosen as the Conservative candidate to stand when Boris Johnson departs in the summer of 2016

Sol Campbell is seeking the Conservative nomination to succeed Boris Johnson as Mayor of London.

The former England and Arsenal defender has signed up for a forum with rival candidates on July 4 as he bids to become the party's preferred choice to stand when Johnson's second term as Mayor ends in the summer of 2016.

And Campbell believes he can bring something different to the ruthless world of British politics.

"I'm going in with my eyes wide open," he told the Sun. "I know I'm not going to be a frontrunner.

"But I look at people who have been in politics for five, 10, 15 years, and muck up, you see them muck up and think 'You guys are supposed to be pro!' People that have gone to Oxbridge, had thousands spent on their education, and I mean they are royally mucking up.

"I bring something new to the table. This is a whole new road for me, something I can get my teeth into, but I just felt it was something I had to do.

"I come from a working-class background, it wasn't easy for me at all, but I worked hard. And now it's about giving something back."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester United become football's first 'billion dollar' brand

old-trafford_tuzrr9um8wiq1i15flhpar56e.jpg

By Sam Lee
Jun 8, 2015 19:21:00

Despite two consecutive trophyless seasons, the Red Devils have leapfrogged both Bayern Munich and Real Madrid to top Brand Finance's 2014 Football 50 ranking

Manchester United have been named the most valuable football club in the world and have become the first "billion dollar" brand in the sport.

The Red Devils reclaimed their place at the top of Brand Finance's Football 50 Brand Value ranking, despite a transitional and trophyless season under new manager Louis van Gaal, and are now worth an all-time high $1.2bn - a staggering growth of 64 per cent.

From third in the previous analysis, United leapfrogged Bayern Munich and Real Madrid, both beaten Champions League semi-finalists, to regain top spot even though they missed out on European football altogether in the 2013-14 campaign. Madrid have also been pipped to top spot in a separate Brand Power ranking, this time by rivals Barcelona.

United first claimed top spot in the Brand Value stakes in 2009 after winning the Champions League a year previously, and recorded their previous highest brand value of $853m in 2012 following success in the Premier League and second place in Europe's top club competition.

The club dropped to third in 2013, their lowest position ever in the rankings, following David Moyes' ultimately unsuccessful stint as Alex Ferguson's successor.

This year's resurgence, despite two consecutive seasons without silverware, highlights the club's enduring financial power.

Off-field rather than on-field dominance, according to Brand Finance, has been the major driver in the club's revival. Citing more than half a billion fans worldwide, record-breaking sponsorship deals with Chevrolet and Adidas, as well as an expected return to the Champions League, the company expects United's revenues and brand value to increase in coming years.

The most important factor, however, has been the Premier League's earth-shattering €6.94bn UK broadcast rights deal, which pushed United's share price up by 5% as soon as it was announced in February.

United's power surge in the most recent analysis has outstripped a 4% increase in brand value from previous leaders Bayern, and a 14% increase from Madrid.

The Bundesliga champions are now worth $933m compared to $896m last year, while the Spanish giants leapt from $768m to $873m.

With English clubs, boosted by that Premier League rights deal, growing by more than 85% in the cases of Southampton, Everton, Stoke City and West Ham, Bayern and their flat growth are being caught up by traditionally smaller clubs.

"Bayern must internationalise its appeal in order to stay at (or near) the top," Brand Finance says in its report. "Though commercial revenue is high, there are few opportunities to extract further value from its current fan base, which is much more domestic in its composition than other top teams."