• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Silva signs new five-year Manchester City deal

438278_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Aug 12, 2014 12:23:00

The Spain international, who arrived at the Etihad from Valencia, has committed himself to the current Premier League champions until 2019

Manchester City playmaker David Silva has signed a fresh five-year contract with the Premier League champions.

The Spain international has commited himself to the club until the age of 33, having already spent four successful seasons at the Etihad following his move from Valencia after the 2010 World Cup.

Silva told City's official website: "From the moment I joined the club four years ago it has felt like a second home to me.

"On and off the pitch, I feel incredibly content and fulfilled professionally and personally, so why wouldn’t I want to stay and keep winning trophies with this fantastic team?

"Over the last four years, we have achieved so much together, establishing City as a dominating force in England and now, when I look around this dressing room, I can see no reason why we won’t become one of the top teams in the world.

"It was a straightforward decision to extend my stay here and spend my peak years at Manchester City, a club with unbelievable fans who have always supported me."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Drogba unlikely to face lengthy Chelsea lay-off

439690_heroa.jpg

Aug 12, 2014 15:44:00

The striker was forced off with an ankle injury during the Blues' pre-season friendly with Ferencvaros on Sunday, but initial reports of a four-month absence are wide of the mark

By Tom Maston

Chelsea are optimistic that Didier Drogba will make a quick return to action despite injuring his ankle against Ferencvaros on Sunday, Goal understands.

The striker, who left the club in 2012 but returned this summer after spells with Shanghai Shenhua and Galatasaray, was forced off after just half an hour against the Hungarians after failing to shake off the problem.

Initial reports suggested that the injury could keep him out for as much as four months, but Goal has learned that it is not as serious as first feared and the former Ivory Coast star will be sent for tests and treatment before a full diagnosis is made.

Speaking to the club's website following Sunday's friendly, the 36-year-old said: "I twisted my ankle and I couldn't continue.

"In the next few days we are going to do some treatment and I hope everything will be better."

The news would come as a huge relief to Jose Mourinho, who, after selling Romelu Lukaku to Everton, would have only been able to call upon two forwards in Diego Costa and Fernando Torres for the opening months of the campaign.

Goal revealed on Monday that Mourinho has made an enquiry over the availability of QPR's Loic Remy, though any move depends on the severity of Drogba's injury.

Chelsea begin their Premier League campaign against newly promoted Burnley at Turf Moor on Monday.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Everton hopeful over Lukaku, Mirallas & Coleman fitness

439993_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Aug 12, 2014 20:41:00

The Belgium duo only recently returned to pre-season training following their World Cup exploits while the right-back has been hampered by a hamstring injury

Everton manager Roberto Martinez hopes to have Romelu Lukaku, Kevin Mirallas and Seamus Coleman fit for the start of the new season.

Belgian pair Lukaku and Mirallas were absent for Everton's final pre-season friendly against Paderborn on Saturday having only returned to training last week following their World Cup exploits.

Coleman, meanwhile, has been nursing a hamstring injury since limping out of the club's 2-2 draw with Tranmere Rovers last month.

Martinez says all three have now returned to training, but could not confirm whether they would be involved in Everton's Premier League curtain-raiser against Leicester City this weekend.

"All three are going to train normally with the team today, so we need to assess how they are and how they go through the week before any decisions are made on Saturday," he told the club's official website.

"It's really good to see Rom and Kevin reaching a really good level of fitness so quickly, but we don't know yet if they're going to be ready for the weekend.

"Seamus is training with the team and had the 'all okay' from a scan yesterday, so that's very good news as well."

Martinez is also confident over the recovery of long-term absentee Arouna Kone - out since October with a knee problem.

"Arouna is training well and is still in his own programme but he has been working with the team as well," he added. "We're very positive about Arouna being able to play some sort of competitive football in the next four to five weeks."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They da Ones! Pop babe Rihanna planning STUNNING move to BUY Liverpool

POP babe Rihanna is planning an audacious bid to BUY Liverpool.

By Cyrus Engineer / Published 12th August 2014

Rihanna-Liverpool-Steven-Gerrard-394041.jpg

S&M: Is pop babe Rihanna really about to buy Steven Gerrard's beloved Liverpool? [GETTY]

The Diamonds songstress revealed her love for the beautiful game during the World Cup with her unique brand of live-tweeting through games.

And now RiRi is ready to invest in a Premier League club with the Reds her team of choice.

Chris Brown's ex has been advised to buy Liverpool by her close friend and Chelsea star Didier Drogba, El Mundo Deportivo reports.

135199.jpg

FAMOUS: Liverpool is one of the world's most famous football clubs [GETTY]

135202.jpg

FAMOUS FANS: Liverpool could be about to gain some glamorous supporters [INSTAGRAM]

“But now it's becoming clear she really is serious”
A source close to Rihanna

While it seems highly unlikely Liverpool's current owners – the Fenway Sports Group – would sell given the Reds impressive form last season, the prospect of Rihanna sharing a seat in the directors' box with Newcastle chief Mike Ashley is pretty amusing.

Anfield is famous for its renditions of You'll Never Walk Alone but if the 26-year-old has her way Steven Gerrard could soon be leading his team out to Unfaithful or We Found Love instead.

The Caribbean beauty is also keen to start her own footballing academy in Barbados.

135204.jpg

ANGER: It is unlikely Liverpool's fans will be pleased about Rihanna's rumoured takeover [GETTY]

135205.jpg

CHAT: Rihanna was advised to invest in English football by Chelsea striker Didier Drogba [GETTY]

"At first we thought Rihanna's desire to be involved with soccer on a business level would soon blow over," a source close to the singer said.

"We figured she was still on a high from the World Cup.

"But now it's becoming clear she really is serious. She's talking about setting up a football academy in her native barbados.

19726866272cba01e34ffe4f953fdadd4dfb90eb.jpg

"Then her big dream is to be involved with a UK club."

After Germany's win over Argentina in the World Cup final Rihanna was pictured holding the coveted trophy.

"I touched the cup, held the cup, kissed the cup," she tweeted.

"Took a selfie wit the cup!!! I meeeaan…… what is YO bucket list looking like brush?"

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea tell Cech to find new club as Courtois is made No.1

443110_heroa.jpg

Aug 13, 2014 16:29:00

Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain and Monaco have all been monitoring the situation as Jose Mourinho tells the 32-year-old that he can leave after a decade at Stamford Bridge

By Wayne Veysey | UK Correspondent

Chelsea will tell Petr Cech to find a new club in the final weeks of the transfer window after deciding to make Thibaut Courtois their No.1 this season.

Jose Mourinho is to put his faith in Courtois at the start of the campaign, spelling the end for Cech at Stamford Bridge following a decade spent as the club's undisputed first choice.

Cech will be encouraged to move as Chelsea stand to receive a more significant transfer fee from selling the Czech goalkeeper now than in 12 months, when he would have just one year to run on his contract.

Courtois, who played 90 minutes in goal for the Blues in their final pre-season match on Tuesday night, will get the nod over Cech for Monday's Premier League curtain-raiser against newly promoted Burnley.

The west Londoners value Cech at around €12 million.

Real Madrid and wealthy French duo Paris Saint-Germain and Monaco are closely monitoring the 32-year-old's situation but no formal bids are expected until Cech's downgraded status is confirmed at the start of next week.

Madrid signed Costa Rica World Cup star Keylor Navas this summer as a replacement for Diego Lopez, who is completing the formalities of a move to AC Milan, but doubts persist about the long-term future at the club of Iker Casillas, who was used only in cup matches by boss Carlo Ancelotti last season.

Mourinho is prepared to offload Cech after deciding that rising star Courtois represents a better long-term option between the sticks.

Cech has insisted that he is not fazed by the prospect of competition from Courtois but Mourinho has told the goalkeeper to explore the possibility of a move away.

But the keeper's agent, Viktor Kolar, has already confirmed that he will speak to the top clubs in Europe if his client is made available.

"I would get in touch with [Andoni] Zubizarreta at Barcelona and people at Real Madrid," he told the press six weeks ago. "These are clubs we would consider if Chelsea wanted to get rid of Petr.

"We would also consider Bayern Munich but they have [Manuel] Neuer there. Then there are leagues Petr would not go to - Serie A, for instance, because clubs in that league have problems.

"Paris Saint-Germain have shown interest and we have also communicated with Monaco."

Courtois has been named La Liga's best goalkeeper in each of the last two seasons and his performances were key to Atletico Madrid's Primera Division triumph last season as well as their run to the Champions League final.

Mourinho's willingness to allow Cech, a hugely popular figure with supporters, to leave demonstrates his ruthlessness and desire to improve a team who narrowly missed out on winning a trophy in his first season back at Stamford Bridge.

Cech has established himself as one of the world's outstanding keepers during his decade at Stamford Bridge.

Since joining Chelsea from Rennes for €8.7m in 2004, he has made 479 appearances for the club and won the Champions League, the Europa League, three Premier League titles, four FA Cups and three League Cups.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Kompany signs new five-year Manchester City contract

435480_heroa.jpg

Aug 13, 2014 16:49:00

The Premier League-winning captain agrees to terms that tie him down to the club for what would become more than a 10-year spell at the Etihad Stadium by their end

Vincent Kompany has signed a new five-year Manchester City contract, the club have announced.

Goal revealed in June that City were planning to tie down their skipper to a long-term deal and the Belgium international will have been at the club for over a decade by the end of his new terms.

Kompany led City to the Premier League title for the second time in 2014 before joining the Belgium squad for the World Cup.

"When I arrived in 2008, I could never have dreamed that we could achieve what we have over the last six years but, for me, this is just the start of the journey," the skipper told his club's official website.

"This team is stronger now than it's ever been; we have competition for places in every position and a dressing-room full of exceptional, motivated people who want to continue making history together.

"Lifting two Premier League titles, the FA Cup and the Capital One Cup have been four of the best days of my life but I believe that there are many more of these occasions ahead.

"There are so many new landmarks and records to chase and I hope signing this new contract is taken as a
statement of intent that I want to keep fighting for trophies for this special club.

"We have a common goal and so much to look forward to - a family of clubs, the opening of City Football Academy, exciting players coming through our youth system – why would I go anywhere else?"

Kompany has made 181 Premier League appearances for Manuel Pellegrini's side since joining from Anderlecht.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United star Luke Shaw ruled out for four weeks with hamstring injury

444635_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Aug 13, 2014 18:47:00

The €36 million summer signing will not be able to make his debut against Swansea City, leaving the Red Devils short of a natural left-back for the start of the season

Manchester United have confirmed that Luke Shaw will be sidelined for approximately four weeks due to a hamstring injury.

The 19-year-old joined the club from Southampton for €36 million this summer after playing his way into the PFA Premier League Team of the Season in 2013-14 but will have to wait for his debut.

It leaves United short of a full-time left-back for the start of the Premier League season, though Ashley Young has played on the left of a 3-5-2 at times in pre-season and could feature in that position against Swansea City.

Van Gaal had declared after his arrival at Old Trafford that the England international, who went to the World Cup earlier this year, was out of shape.

Goal understands that United are pressing ahead with plans to sign Daley Blind and are also targeting Sporting Lisbon's Marcos Rojo, both of whom would be comfortable in Shaw's position.

Shaw has just been handed the No.3 shirt by Louis van Gaal, having succeeded both Patrice Evra and Alexander Buttner in his position this summer.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 08/13/2014 23:39 | By Channel NewsAsia

Navy serviceman Jason Chee receives letter from Arsene Wenger

EC67DC467DE8A588AECB971CE4C020.jpg

SINGAPORE: Navy serviceman Jason Chee is showing off a nice surprise he got in the mail. It was a letter to him from Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, sending him best wishes from everyone at Arsenal Football Club. The Frenchman wrote that he had recently been informed of Mr Chee's injury.

"I have also been told that you are an avid Arsenal supporter," Mr Wenger wrote. "We are extremely grateful for this."

Military Expert (ME) 2 Chee lost three limbs in an accident on board a navy ship a year and a half ago. He went back to work in June, as Operations Supervisor at Changi Navy Base with the 191 Squadron.

A clearly overjoyed Mr Chee posted the letter from Mr Wenger on his Facebook page along with pictures of autographed memorabilia, saying he "really cannot believe it". The self-professed Gunners die-hard fan since he was 14 says he has rooted for the likes of Thierry Henry, Alexis Sanchez and his favourite, Marc Overmars.

"Want to take this opportunity to say a BIG BIG BIG THANKS for the best wishes that your Arsenal team have given to me!" he wrote. He also congratulated them on their 3-0 Community Shield win over Manchester City.

- CNA/ly

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tottenham in transition again but targeting top four

444681_heroa.jpg

Aug 14, 2014 12:30:00

Another new era is dawning at White Hart Lane, this time under the stewardship of Mauricio Pochettino, with the Argentine expected to marry attractive football with results
By Ewan Roberts

A new manager, a new style of football and a handful of new signings mean there has been another summer of change at Tottenham – though this time the transition has been less unsettling, with plenty of optimism surrounding White Hart Lane ahead of the new season.

INS

Tottenham have enjoyed a much more low-key summer this year than compared to the upheaval they endured when Gareth Bale pushed for a move to Real Madrid last year, with seven new faces brought in to fill his enormous void.

Much will be expected of that septet in their second season in the Premier League, especially under new boss Mauricio Pochettino and, as such, Spurs have so far only signed four new players – in fact, the north Londoners were the last top-flight club to make any new signings this summer.

They broke their duck with the double signing of Swansea City pair Ben Davies and Michel Vorm, two players possessed of the Premier League experience that had been absent among last summer’s much-maligned recruits from overseas.

Wales international full-back Davies should solve a problem position that has existed for far too long, having proven to be a solid, capable defender since breaking into the Swans’ starting XI, though Pochettino is unlikely to give up on the pacier Danny Rose just yet.

Vorm, fresh from finishing third at the World Cup with the Netherlands, will provide cover for Hugo Lloris, and the Dutchman’s ball-playing ability and speed make him a much more natural deputy for the club’s French No.1.

Defensive recruits have been made a priority, with Sporting’s English centre-back Eric Dier signed for €5 million, and he could yet be joined in the heart of the defence by Villarreal’s Mateo Musacchio.

Full-back Deandre Yedlin, who impressed with the USA at the 2014 World Cup, has also joined Spurs, but will remain with Seattle Sounders until January.

OUTS

As much due to the club’s poor showing last season as anything else, Tottenham have managed to stave off offers for their greatest assets and even tied down their best players, such as the exceptional Lloris, to new long-term deals.

At present the club are operating at a net profit, having offloaded Jake Livermore to Hull City for €10m, Iago Falque to Genoa for €5m and swapped Gylfi Sigurdsson for Davies.

The former two played no role at the club last term and their absence will not be felt, having been on loan at Hull and Rayo Vallecano respectively, but Icelandic midfielder Sigurdsson has proven to be a useful member of the squad, chipping in regularly with goals and assists.

Further departures are expected, with Pochettino complaining that the squad he has inherited is too big. “We have a long, long squad,” said the Argentine.

“I think we need to take a decision now to decide how many players to keep, because we have more than 25. For me, too many players. My idea is 25. No more than 25.”

Michael Dawson, Vlad Chiriches, Kyle Naughton, Nacer Chadli and Paulinho are among those who could yet leave the club as Pochettino looks to whittle down his squad to a more manageable size.

SQUAD ASSESSMENT

At present Tottenham have an enormous squad which is likely to be nipped and tucked before the end of the transfer window, though Pochettino has been keen to give as many players as possible the chance to impress before deciding whether they fit his style or not.

And style, for Pochettino, is everything. The former Southampton coach has a very clearly defined philosophy and needs a group of players who are both willing to adapt to his methods and capable of playing the frantic, high-tempo game he promotes.

Lloris is the perfect sweeper-keeper to mop up behind a high line, and there is pace at both full-back positions, but it is at centre-back where Spurs feel lightest and most ill-equipped to embrace Pochettino’s philosophy.

Michael Dawson, who will remain as skipper, has floundered when asked to play high up the pitch previously and struggled hugely in pre-season, showing little composure or ability on the ball. Younes Kaboul’s long-term injuries make him unreliable, Chiriches has struggled to master the physicality of the Premier League and Jan Vertonghen is deceptively slow.

As such, a centre-back is very much a priority, though a deal for first-choice target Musacchio has so far stalled over third-party ownership complications. Spurs are also looking to strengthen in central midfield, with bids made for Morgan Schneiderlin, though existing options should suffice if Southampton are determined to retain the Frenchman.

In attack, Roberto Soldado – who flopped somewhat spectacularly last season – will be given a chance to redeem himself and has looked more like his old, Valencia self in pre-season, though neither he nor Emmanuel Adebayor are the perfect frontman for Pochettino. Left wing is also an area where Spurs are without an undisputed starter.

STAND-OUT STAR

Last season, there was feverish excitement at the prospect of Christian Eriksen and Erik Lamela lining up alongside each other. Yet, while the former – eventually – flourished, the latter struggled to justify his price tag, in large part due to injury.

Yet, strangely, it is the Argentine who goes into the new campaign with the greatest sense of expectation, showing flashes of his undoubted brilliance during pre-season, while Eriksen’s suitability to play under Pochettino has been called into question.

The Denmark international, though, will be keen to remind everyone just how much of a class act he is and, based on last season, is the stand-out talent in Tottenham’s ranks.

Given license to roam in Tim Sherwood’s largely structure-less side last season, the Ajax academy product was a rare bright spark in a gloomy campaign. With his touch and control, his flair and no-look passes, his poise and vision, and a virtually unrivalled ability from set-pieces, he became the side’s creative talisman.

Now the onus is on Eriksen to prove he can combine his attacking artistry with defensive responsibility and work rate. If he can, he could be an enormously productive player next season, with his quick-thinking and crisp passing likely to suit the positive, attacking football Pochettino wants to play.

444676.jpg

MANAGER

After such an astonishing turnover of managers in the last decade, Tottenham will hope they have finally found a head coach for the long-term – though Pochettino has a huge task on to prove he is more than just another flavour of the month appointment.

The Argentine, still taking the first steps of his burgeoning coaching career, excelled at Southampton, guiding them to an eighth-place finish while also implementing a defined, unique and immensely exciting playing style.

Similarly, at White Hart Lane, Pochettino will be asked to both play the attractive, expansive football he – and Spurs – are known for, while competing on multiple fronts and trying to sneak into the top four in what is shaping up to be one of the most competitive Premier League seasons ever.

Unlike previous incumbents, though, the former Espanyol manager is likely to be given far longer to try and ingrain his style and plot a top-four assault, but already the pressing structure and width of his Saints side is evident after just a handful of pre-season matches.

Pochettino is aided by the fact that he has replaced the largely unpopular Sherwood, despite the latter proclaiming himself as the club’s greatest ever manager.

There will be some sense of pressure on the new man, given that Sherwood boasted the highest win percentage of Tottenham managers in the Premier League (though he also posted the highest loss percentage too!), while the former Blackburn skipper provided plenty of headline-grabbing soundbites to satisfy reporters and infuriate fans.

Pochettino, of course, has only just ditched his translator and is much more guarded in front of the press, but if his new Spurs side can quickly show signs of the intoxicating brand of football that beguiled at Southampton, then he should be given ample time to build a team capable of, eventually, challenging for the title.

A GOOD 2014-15 WOULD BE...

The aim for every Tottenham manager in the ENIC era has been to finish in the top four and claim a lucrative place in the Champions League – though the club have only fulfilled that ambition once, in the 2009-10 season, reaching the quarter-finals of Europe’s premier club competition the following campaign under Harry Redknapp.

For Pochettino, though, there is a slightly different atmosphere and there have been no targets set. Chairman Daniel Levy is ready and willing to back his new manager and will afford him the time he needs to develop a new playing style, and failure to qualify for the top four this season is highly unlikely to cost Pochettino his job.

That has not stopped the Argentine from aiming high, though. “My challenge is to win the Premier League, eventually. This is our goal, to win the title one day,” says the 42-year-old. “Our target at the moment is to provide a team capable of creating our philosophy on the pitch. To develop and improve the style of football we want to play.

“We have an unbelievable squad with some unbelievable players. We need to work to get the players ready to start the season playing with our philosophy. This is our only target at the moment. Afterwards we will see.

“Tottenham are expected to play well and win. Results are important and we will target a position later. But for the moment our aim is to get the squad playing the way we want.”

A good season, then, would be to successful implement a new playing style – one that marries greater speed, dynamism and ferocity going forward with more structured, organised shape off the ball – all the while remaining competitive. With a Champions League place up for grabs for winning the Europa League, Pochettino will also be expected to go deep in Europe.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea close in on goalkeeper Brkic

441191_heroa.jpg

Aug 14, 2014 13:04:00

The 19-year-old has played just eight top-flight games for Istra but is set to move to Stamford Bridge for an initial €1 million transfer fee

By Hrvoje Tironi

Chelsea are close to securing a deal for Croatia youth international goalkeeper Ivan Brkic.

The 19-year-old has only made eight top-flight appearances for Istra but has already attracted attention from multiple English clubs.

The Blues are firmly ahead in the race to sign him, however, and sources have told Goal that his switch to Stamford Bridge is close to completion, with the Croatian club asking for €1 million plus bonuses.

Brkic would become the fourth Croatian player on Chelsea’s books, along with Mario Pasalic, Stipe Perica and fellow keeper Matej Delac.

Jose Mourinho has already made four signings this summer, having recruited Diego Costa, Cesc Fabregas, Filipe Luis and returning club legend Didier Drogba.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Remy would not walk out on us - Redknapp

434841_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Aug 14, 2014 13:42:00

The France international saw a move to Liverpool fall through earlier this summer but the QPR boss is confident he will stay at Loftus Road for the 2014-15 season

Harry Redknapp is confident that striker Loic Remy is "too decent" to leave Premier League new boys QPR late in the transfer window.

The France international saw a move to Liverpool fall through last month, having spent the 2013-14 season on loan at Newcastle United.

The collapse of the deal meant Remy had to return to training with Rangers and Redknapp is hopeful that the 27-year-old will remain at Loftus Road as the club look to establish themselves in the Premier League.

"We hope he'll stay," he told reporters. "He's a fantastic player and his attitude has been first class, but you never know. I'm not trying to sell him because we don't want to sell him.

"To have lost him for the amount that we were going to would have been too cheap, so to have him back is fantastic.

"When I looked at what he was going to go for, he was a fantastic buy for Liverpool at that price, so their loss is our gain.

"I don't think Loic would leave us late on. He's too decent a guy to walk away in the last week of the transfer window"

One man who appears destined for the QPR exit door is Adel Taarabt, who Redknapp revealed had not trained during pre-season.

"I don't know what he's going to be doing to be honest," he added. "He's not fit.

"Adel hasn't done one day's training since we got back in pre-season. He just needs to get fit, whether he's here or not.

"I think he's looking to move. If anybody wants to buy him for that money then they have to pay the money.

"We just need a club to come in and pay the money that the chairman is looking for."

Discussing a long list of rumoured transfer targets, Redknapp described a deal for former Swansea City loanee Jonathan de Guzman as "possible", but rubbished reports linking him with a move for Barcelona's Alex Song.

QPR begin their Premier League campaign against Hull City on Saturday.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho refuses to rule out more Chelsea arrivals

439045_heroa.jpg

By Jay Jaffa
Aug 15, 2014 13:41:00

The former Real Madrid coach has already added four new faces to his squad ahead of the new campaign and he says his team will again challenge for the Premier League title

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has refused to rule out further arrivals at Stamford Bridge.

The Blues have signed Filipe Luis, Diego Costa, Cesc Fabregas and Didier Drogba for a combined €93.5 million, and Thibaut Courtois has returned from a three-year loan spell at Atletico Madrid.

Yet despite claiming he is happy with the squad at his disposal, Petr Cech has been told he is free to leave, whilst Mourinho says the there could still be more movement this transfer window.

He told reporters: "The market is open and experience tells us all that when the market is open and you can never say what is going to happen. You know if a player has a different reaction in this last part of the month, we never know if any club tries to do something with your players.

"But the reality is that I'm very happy with my squad. I'm very happy with my club and the structure that supports me."

Goal understands the Blues have made an enquiry as to the avilability of QPR forward Loic Remy in the wake of an ankle injury picked up by Didier Drogba while a move for teenage goalkeeper Ivan Brkic is also close to completion.

But Mourinho explained that he is very pleased with the players he has already brought to the club in the off-season while also admitting that his side will be in the running for the Premier League title in 2014-15.

"We have bought some key players having analysed our squad and we believe. These new players bring us to another dimension.

"Yes we are a title contender. If you want me to say we will win the league I can't, because I respect this competition."

Chelsea begin their pursuit of the title against Burnley at Turf Moor on Monday.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Oscar takes Lampard's No.8 shirt & Hazard No.10 as Chelsea reveal new squad numbers

443687_heroa.jpg

Aug 15, 2014 16:25:00

The attacking duo will be wearing new numbers in the 2014-15 season while Thibaut Courtois has been handed the No.13, with Petr Cech keeping hold of the No.1 jersey

Chelsea have announced their squad numbers for the upcoming season, with Oscar taking the No.8 shirt previously worn by club legend Frank Lampard.

The England international made the shirt his own during his 429 Premier League appearances at Stamford Bridge, during which time he scored 147 top-flight goals.

The jersey was so well associated with Lampard, widely regarded as the club's greatest ever player, that skipper John Terry had led calls for the shirt number to be retired after the 36-year-old left the club on a free transfer this summer.

But Brazilian playmaker Oscar will now have the honour of wearing the No.8 shirt, giving up the No.11 to allow Didier Drogba to reclaim it.

"Didier is a Chelsea legend and a senior player. I am happy for him to take the 11 and for me to take the 8," Oscar told the club's official website. "Lamps is another legend at this club and I hope I will be as successful in the shirt as he was."

Eden Hazard will also be wearing a new number in the coming campaign, with the Belgium winger taking on the vacant No.10 from the departed Juan Mata.

Elsewhere, Thibaut Courtois has been handed the No.13 jersey, with Petr Cech holding onto the No.1 despite increasing speculation regarding the Czech Republic international's future at the club.

New signing Cesc Fabregas will wear the No.4 shirt vacated by David Luiz while former Atletico Madrid duo Filipe Luis and Diego Costa have been given the No.3 and No.19 respectively.

Young defenders Kurt Zouma and Nathan Ake have impressed in pre-season, and as a result have been rewarded with the No.5 and No.6 jerseys while Victor Moses takes No.18 following Romelu Lukaku's departure to Everton.

CHELSEA FC SQUAD NUMBERS – 2014/2015

1. Cech, Petr
2. Ivanovic, Branislav
3. Luis, Filipe
4. Fabregas, Cesc
5. Zouma, Kurt
6. Ake, Nathan
7. Ramires
8. Oscar
9. Torres, Fernando
10. Hazard, Eden
11. Drogba, Didier
12. Mikel, John Obi
13. Courtois, Thibaut
14. Schurrle, Andre
16. Van Ginkel, Marco
17. Salah, Mohamed
18. Moses, Victor
19. Costa, Diego
21. Matic, Nemanja
22. Willian
23. Schwarzer, Mark
24. Cahill, Gary
26. Terry, John
28. Azpilicueta, Cesar
31. Christensen, Andreas

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pellegrini: Aguero could face Newcastle

390102_heroa.jpg

By Stephen Darwin
Aug 15, 2014 16:25:43

The Manchester City boss has not ruled out fielding the 26-year-old against Alan Pardew's side despite his lack of match fitness but Eliaquim Mangala is set to miss out

Manchester City forward Sergio Aguero could be fit enough to face Newcastle United in the club's Premier League opener on Sunday, Manuel Pellegrini has revealed.

The 26-year-old has struggled with injuries over the past 12 months and picked up a muscle problem while on World Cup duty with Argentina that has hampered his pre-season preparations.

But the former Atletico Madrid striker has been working hard to get fit behind the scenes, having not featured in any of City's pre-season friendlies, and Pellegrini has not ruled out a return to action in Sunday's clash at St James' Park.

"We will see [if he plays] on Sunday," he told reporters. "I am not so sure if he will or will not."

France international Eliaquim Mangala, meanwhile, is unlikely to make his City debut against Alan Pardew's side, with Pellegrini insisting that he needs to build up his fitness before he can be involved.

"Mangala needs to work more with the team to be able to play," he added. "Maybe he will not play this weekend.

"He has had so many months without playing normally so we are trying to make a mix for him: a mix of pre-season training and trying to get him to our level to play for the team."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Persie will miss Swansea City clash - Van Gaal

405554_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Aug 15, 2014 17:28:00

The Netherlands striker has not trained sufficiently since returning from the World Cup to be considered as the Red Devils chase a second successive opening day win over the Swans

Robin van Persie has "no chance" of featuring for Manchester United against Swansea City on Saturday, according to manager Louis van Gaal.

The striker returned to pre-season training late after reaching the World Cup semi-finals, under Van Gaal, with Netherlands.

And, asked whether Van Persie might be fit enough to play on Saturday, Van Gaal said: "No chance. He has to train."

The comments echo the former Bayern Munich and Barcelona coach's statement from earlier this month, when he predicted Van Persie would not be ready.

"Robin wants to play every game, I know that, but so do the other 30 players in the squad," he said at the time. "But players have to train and Robin needs a full training regime behind him before he can play again."

Big-money signing Luke Shaw will also miss out on Saturday after picking up a hamstring injury, but Van Gaal is confident of filling the gap left by the teenager.

"We played in the USA [pre-season tour] with Reece James and Ashley Young in that position [left wing-back]," he reminded reporters. "I'm not worried."

Sam Johnstone, Antonio Valencia, Jonny Evans and Danny Welbeck all join Shaw in being unavailable for the Premier League curtain-raiser through injury.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal: Why I made Rooney Manchester United captain

441923_heroa.jpg

By Stephen Darwin
Aug 15, 2014 17:16:00

The Dutch coach has called for the 28-year-old to repeat his US tour performances when the Premier League gets underway and insists he is yet to meet with Sir Alex Ferguson

Louis van Gaal has revealed that Wayne Rooney's attitude on the pitch is the main reason why he has decided to make him Manchester United captain.

With Nemanja Vidic having left the club for Inter in the summer, the England striker was announced as his replacement three days ago, while Darren Fletcher took up the vice-captain role.

Rooney could also be handed the armband at international level in the coming weeks and Van Gaal is adamant that he is ready for the responsibility.

When asked why he selected the 28-year-old forward as his skipper, the Dutch coach said: "His attitude, of course. That is more on the pitch and on the training ground. Not so much off the pitch but I have explained to him that off the pitch is also very important to me.

"He accepted the responsibility and I like him very much: how he trained and also how he performed in the games, how he performed to his fellow players.

"On Tuesday, I said to him that maybe it is too much for him to be captain. But let it fly, I said, let it fly. In the US, he scored a lot of goals and made a great amount of assists. I want to see that Wayne."

Van Gaal has also insisted that he is yet to meet Sir Alex Ferguson since arriving at the club. He added: "No, until this moment I have not found the time to do that and I do not know if he is at home.

"He called off [going on tour] but I have also been very busy. That is the reason."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Poyet wants fans to be realistic

Gus Poyet has urged fans to be realistic about Sunderland's prospects this season after refusing to lie about his targets.

Sunderland%20manager%20Gustavo%20Poyet.jpg

Sunderland manager Gustavo Poyet

Saturday 16th August 2014

The 46-year-old Uruguayan head coach has embarked upon a major summer rebuilding programme after managing to drag the Black Cats to safety by the skin of their teeth at the end of the last campaign.

However, while he now has most of the players he wants at his disposal and has had a full pre-season in which to further instill his methods, he is refusing to be carried away ahead of the opening weekend trip to West Brom.

Poyet said: "We need to be realistic - and I would like everybody to understand that word, 'realistic'.

"If somebody wants to hear a lie, I can say it, it's very easy - we are looking to get into Europe next year. It looks fantastic, it sounds great - but it's not true.

"The idea here is first, not to suffer as much as we have in the last couple of years, and second to start playing the kind of football that's going to make us better slowly, so I see my team playing week in, week out consistently, not up and down like last year, and from then on, keep improving.

"Then when we are in a position to attack a certain position in the league, I will let you know.

"But at the moment apart form the top seven - the five who are playing for the Premier League plus Everton and Tottenham - the rest, I am sorry if somebody is going to say something different, are going to be fighting for our lives all the time."

Poyet's frank assessment in no way reflects a lack of ambition, but simply his desire to build slowly and methodically after the trials and tribulations of recent seasons on Wearside.

However, that does not mean he will not take full advantage of owner Ellis Short's backing, which so far has seen sporting director Lee Congerton recruit seven new signings to date since the end of last season.

Congerton's work is not finished yet either, or at least Poyet hopes so as he focuses on his remaining targets, the most significant of them Liverpool striker Fabio Borini.

The Black Cats have tabled a sizeable bid for the Italian, who performed so ably on loan at the Stadium of Light last season, but are yet to get the answer they want.

Poyet remains confident he will eventually land his man, but has warned that the day will come when he will have to turn to other targets.

He said: "I'm just trying - I cannot do it, but I am trying - to put a deadline because we need a player in that position and we are ready, I can tell you that. We are ready to move on and have an option.

"Now of course, what happens if you move on and Fabio is still available? It's a tricky situation that I would like people to understand.

"But it's impossible for me at the moment to say tomorrow, Monday, Wednesday or the 31st. It's not possible."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Martinez planning for bright future

Everton manager Roberto Martinez begins his second season with a long-term plan not only to win trophies but also to lay foundations for a successful future.

Roberto%20Martinez%20the%20manager%20of%20Everton%20gives%20instructions%20to%20his%20players%20during%20the%20Barclays%20Premier%20League%20match%20between%20Sunderland%20and%20Everton.jpg

Friday 15th August 2014

One of the Spaniard's key words during the summer was "stability" and that has been achieved by tying down pivotal figures to lengthy deals.

Martinez himself agreed a new five-year contract in June - an example followed by defenders Seamus Coleman, after arguably his best season for the Toffees, and John Stones while England midfielder Ross Barkley signed for four more years.

Last season's significant loan stars Romelu Lukaku and Gareth Barry signed permanently for five and three years respectively and, back in January, England left-back Leighton Baines ended speculation about his future with a four-year deal.

That work behind the scenes has guaranteed Martinez a core group of quality players he can expect to rely on for the future.

It gives him a solid platform on which to build on an impressive maiden season at Goodison Park which saw them finish fifth, having been in the running for the Champions League until late in the campaign.

But he is also planning for the longer term with improvements to the club's academy to help more promising youngsters break through.

"You need to manage the club as if you are going to be here for the next 100 years and you need to make decisions in the younger age groups where you develop them even if you are not going to see them - although the club will eventually get the benefit," Martinez told Press Association Sport.

"Every manager should work in that manner. You are not looking at the short-term doing everything and anything to win a trophy and then move on.

"I have never got satisfaction from that, I get satisfaction from trying to build clubs and philosophies that last.

"Whatever happens with the manager, for good or bad reasons, you want to have the long-term continuity and vision that is shared by everyone."

Building from within, allowing the club to sustain itself, is fundamental to Martinez's thinking, which is why securing new contracts and holding on to Barry and Lukaku, who were integral components of the side last season, was so important.

"You need to understand we live in the fast lane. There are people who are quite happy to move around and not have the all-round approach we had previously in football," said the Toffees boss, who takes his side to top-flight newcomers Leicester on Saturday.

"That affected players, managers and owners and the ownership in football is very different to 15 years ago in the way the position of the manager is viewed.

"If you don't get three or four results everyone expects a change but managers shouldn't be judged on that, it should be a longer exercise.

"I am very much old-fashioned in that respect as I get joy from setting plans for the long term.

"The youngsters are a big part. Working with them you are allowed to be a bit more brave and experiment more and you can try things because young players have the attitude of wanting to just enjoy themselves."

Expectations this season are much higher but Martinez admits this campaign may be a one of adjustment balancing European football demands for the first time since 2010.

"We have to maintain the level we showed last season with the extra demand of European football," he said.

"It is not about reaching certain positions it is about replicating what we did last campaign with the group a year wiser and more experienced in the way we want to play.

"Then it is making sure when the Europe League competition comes in we embrace and don't find it an obstacle to perform well in the domestic leagues."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Martinez faces decisions over trio

Everton manager Roberto Martinez will make late decisions on the fitness of Seamus Coleman, Kevin Mirallas and Romelu Lukaku ahead of their Premier League opener at Leicester.

240614martinez.jpg

Friday 15th August 2014

Right-back Coleman sustained a hamstring injury in a friendly against Tranmere at the end of July while forwards Mirallas and Lukaku are a couple of weeks behind the rest of the squad in terms of overall fitness having returned to pre-season later after the World Cup.

Striker Aroune Kone, out since October with a knee injury, will not be fit for another month.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bruce on the hunt for more signings

Hull boss Steve Bruce is preparing to reinvest the proceeds from this week's sale of striker Shane Long on up to three new players before the transfer window shuts.

190514bruce.jpg

Friday 15th August 2014

Bruce will take his team to QPR for their Barclays Premier League opener on Saturday convinced the Tigers will emerge stronger for the "fabulous" offer for the Irishman.

"We thought the offer that came in was too good too turn down," he said. "We will reinvest the money into the squad and I think the squad will be better for it.

"I would still like at least another three players to come through the doors and with the money we have got for Shane that allows me to do that, so we will be active over the next few weeks."

However, the former Sunderland boss dismissed reports of interest in the likes of Manchester United's Danny Welbeck and Hamburg's Rafael van der Vaart as "ludicrous".

Bruce is determined not to set the bar too high for his side this season but is targeting an improvement on last term's 16th-place finish and a run to the FA Cup final and Europe.

He added: "We've done fantastically well over the last couple of years. We've never been here (in the Premier League) for two years so that is the challenge.

"In my experience the second season is always the most difficult because the expectation has risen a bit.

"We've brought in four or five players to strengthen the squad. The man thing is for the club to stay in the Premier League and that's what we've got to do.

"Everybody expects us to be better than we were last year and if we can manage it that would great."

Bruce expects a tough opener at Loftus Road against Harry Redknapp's men who will be aiming to copy the Tigers' own survival masterplan in their first season back in the top flight.

And despite predictions the London outfit could struggle, the Hull boss is particularly wary of the threat posed by striker Loic Remy, provided the Rs are able to keep hold of him in the remainder of the transfer window.

"Harry has managed to hang onto Loic Remy which I believe is key for them," added Bruce. "He's a very good striker and no disrespect to QPR, but he is arguably the best player in the bottom half of the division with the talents he's got."