• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

QPR cannot keep relying on Austin, says Ramsey

4 March 2015

queens-park-rangers-chris-ramsey.jpg

Chris Ramsey has called on QPR's players to raise their game and stop relying on Charlie Austin after Wednesday's 2-1 defeat to Arsenal.

Austin was QPR's main threat in the first half at Loftus Road with three clear efforts on goal, the final one flying just wide of David Ospina's goal.

He continued his lone plight in the second half and eventually got his goal, although it came too late as Arsenal clung on to victory after strikes from Olivier Giroud and Alexis Sanchez, leaving QPR three points from safety.

Ramsey praised the effort shown by his players, but demanded more from his squad to lighten the load on top scorer Austin.

"The problem is in a league of this quality you can't keep being unlucky," he said. "You can't always be sorry that you've lost a game.

"Little bits of details have cost us tonight. I do feel genuinely sick for the players because I thought they gave everything.

"[But] we can't keep relying on Charlie Austin. It was a fantastic strike and he played well again, but we need more players to contribute.

"I thought the overall performance was good, but I'm just a little sick we couldn't at least get something from the game.

"You don't get anything for being second. At the end of the day it’s about the points."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pearson pragmatic over handling of Premier League ´sideshows´

4 March 2015

798733header.jpg

Nigel Pearson is satisfied with how he has conducted himself in the face of the increased scrutiny and "sideshows" that accompany being a Premier League manager, although he regrets offending the bystanders who witnessed his spat with a supporter in December.

The Leicester City boss was involved in a heated verbal exchange with a disgruntled fan during his side's 3-1 home defeat against Liverpool.

A one-game touchline ban and a £10,000 fine followed and Pearson has mixed emotions about the incident.

"There's always two sides to a story," he told BBC East Midlands Today.

"The bottom line is I don't have any complaints with how it was dealt with now, but I certainly wouldn't apologise to the individual.

"But offending people around me, yeah, of course, is something that I would probably change if I had the chance to change it. But, again, people like to give it out but they don't like being on the receiving end."

Pearson has been perceived as having a frosty relationship with the media at times this season, but insists his focus is purely on keeping rock-bottom Leicester in the Premier League.

"I am what I am and whether people like or not is to a large extent, not irrelevant, but I have to be able to go home and be able to live my life," he said.

"There is a lot more scrutiny for sure and a lot of tittle-tattle and there are a lot of people who have opinions and they are more than entitled to them, but so am I.

"I've been criticised when I've not spoken enough, when I've been quite guarded.

"The Premier League is a global brand and so there is a lot of sideshows that go on alongside it. I'm trying to keep my focus very much on what is the main event and that is our team trying to change our fortunes.

"I've actually enjoyed doing the media this season. Contrary to peoples' beliefs, I find it interesting in many ways."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers hails Henderson impact

4 March 2015

799079header.jpg

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers offered special praise to Jordan Henderson after the midfielder starred in their 2-0 Premier League win over Burnley.

Henderson opened the scoring with his second goal in as many matches, thrashing home from the edge of the penalty area to give Liverpool a richly deserved 29th-minute lead.

The stand-in captain then turned provider, crossing for Daniel Sturridge to head home just seven minutes after the break.

Henderson pulled the strings throughout and Rodgers was delighted with his performance.

"His strike was terrific and that obviously gives you greater confidence in the game," Rodgers said.

"His ball for the second goal was terrific. He's got great technique and precision.

"I think he's improving all the time. As he matures more, tactically, he'll become even better. He's always had athleticism, he's born with a natural gift as an athlete, to run.

"Tactically, he's improving. Technically, as you see, he is quality. His passing has improved.

"He's becoming one of the real leaders of this young team. Wonderful performance by him."

Rodgers felt the win was just as impressive as Liverpool's 2-1 triumph over champions Manchester City on Sunday.

The Anfield outfit are now unbeaten in 12 Premier League matches and have risen to fifth in the table.

"I thought it was an excellent performance," he added.

"I think Burnley have showed this year that they're a very difficult team to play against, especially when they are on their travels.

"As good as the performance was on the weekend, this was equally as good, in a different way.

"Organisation defensively was very good. Another team that have had no shots on target. And they have got players who can cause you a problem."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pochettino proud of Tottenham response

4 March 2015

798976header.jpg

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino praised the way his side bounced back from League Cup final heartache as they defeated Swansea City 3-2 to keep alive their top-four hopes in the Premier League.

Having suffered a 2-0 loss to Chelsea at Wembley on Sunday, Tottenham showed their resolve by bouncing back in style with an early Nacer Chadli goal.

Even Ki Sung-yueng's leveller could not bring them down, with Ryan Mason and Andros Townsend netting before a late consolation from former Spurs man Gylfi Sigurdsson.

"I'm happy because our performance was very good," Pochettino said. "We shot 20 times, 16 on target, more than 60 per cent possession of the ball and, with these stats, you suffer in the last minute to win the game.

"It's a strange feeling but happy. Proud for our players and congratulations to the players because after Sunday it was difficult because it was a big hit for us, but I think that the answer was very good."

The game saw Mason net his first Premier League goal and the young midfielder told the club's official website that he was "over the moon" after getting on the scoresheet in a crucial win.

"I'm absolutely buzzing. I've been waiting a long time for that. To get three points too is important," he said.

"I'm over the moon to get a goal in the win. It was important that we were bright in the second half. We've got great character."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho laughs off bizarre Matic injury

4 March 2015

799077header.jpg

Jose Mourinho was unable to hide his amusement after revealing Nemanja Matic twisted his ankle celebrating Chelsea's League Cup final victory over Tottenham.

The Serbian midfielder was suspended for the Wembley showpiece, which Chelsea won 2-0 to win the first trophy since Mourinho returned as manager ahead of the 2013-14 season.

However, the former Benfica man donned his kit to join his team-mates in celebration at the final whistle.

Mourinho said Matic hurt himself on the Wembley turf and would have missed Wednesday's 1-0 Premier League win at West Ham even if he was not serving the second match of his ban.

"I'm going to tell you something nobody knows, Matic is injured and he got an injury celebrating the cup. I'm not kidding," Mourinho said at his post-match news conference.

"It's not a big injury but if he wasn't suspended he wouldn't play. He twisted his ankle on the pitch."

Chelsea fans need not fear, though, as Mourinho confirmed Matic would train over the weekend ahead of next Wednesday's UEFA Champions League last-16 second-leg encounter against Paris Saint-Germain.

The tie sits at 1-1 ahead of the Stamford Bridge fixture.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pearson calls for video technology after City snubs

4 March 2015

798974header.jpg

Nigel Pearson has once again called for video technology to be used in football after he felt Leicester City were denied three penalties at Manchester City on Wednesday.

The Premier League's bottom club frustrated the champions until first-half stoppage time when David Silva pounced to poke home from close-range, before James Milner added a second late on.

Before the opener, however, Pearson saw Jeffrey Schlupp and Andrej Kramaric brought down in the box on separate occasions, before the latter was felled on the 18-yard line in the second half, only to be awarded a free-kick instead of a spot-kick.

The Leicester manager refused to blame the decisions for his side's defeat, but was left with a sense of injustice.

"It remains a frustration for us that some of the key decisions don't go our way, but it is also not very useful to use those as a vehicle to play down results," Pearson told a post-match media conference.

"We know we have got win enough points to overtake three sides, and that is the bottom line, and to persistently moan about negative aspects that you can't affect is counter-productive.

"You can tell I am not particularly happy, but I don't think there is any mileage in being overly critical.

"I would use it as another opportunity to ask for the introduction of technology.

"I have been in the same situation two or three times this season, where I have mentioned the same thing but I have no control over that.

"But I do think it would be of value because it would help everybody concerned, it would help the officials to get things right more often, it would stop irritating managers and coaches and fans, and it would clarify the situation."

The situation now facing Leicester is that they sit at the foot of the table, seven points from safety with 11 matches to play.

All of which means next Saturday's clash with Pearson's former club, Hull, becomes one his new team cannot afford to lose.

"That is a game we have got to win, there are no two ways about that," Pearson added.

"We have got a number of fixtures in the final phase of the season, which maybe people would expect us to have more chance of winning than a game like tonight."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dyche realistic after Anfield loss

4 March 2015

799004header.jpg

Burnley boss Sean Dyche was realistic in his assessment of his side's 2-0 Premier League defeat at Liverpool on Wednesday.

Liverpool - now unbeaten in 12 Premier League matches - were simply too good for relegation-threatened Burnley, with goals from Jordan Henderson and Daniel Sturridge settling the clash at Anfield.

Burnley had goalkeeper Tom Heaton to thank for the fact that Liverpool only scored twice and the visitors rarely caused problems, but Dyche refused to criticise his players.

"They [Liverpool] were very good. They are a side expensively assembled with top-class players who have found that run of form and that belief in the way they are playing," he said.

"We knew it's a stern task to come here and get a win. There has to be a reality in the challenge.

"But they are a fine side, make no mistake. They can affect the game from the bench, they've got different ways of playing, different movement patterns.

"They are right in the zone, they are high on confidence and are a very good side.

"There's a lot of things to learn, particularly for our younger players.

"I will also say they put it together with hard work. I thought they pressed ever so well and they [Liverpool] are developing into a fine side."

Dyche was disappointed in the second goal his side conceded, though, as Sturridge made the most of slack marking to nod in Henderson's cross.

"We gave them too many chances too easily early in the game, Tom was on terrific form," he added.

"Second half we gave away a really, really poor goal - that from our point of view and how we operate, was a poor goal [to concede].

"The first one can happen, a high-quality player, a good strike, but the second one was really poor I felt.

"At 1-0 you never know. We've shown that before. The players did keep going, but they [Liverpool] are on real good form."

Despite the defeat, which extends their winless run to eight matches in all competitions, Dyche is not worried about the pressure on Burnley.

And he thinks a relegation dogfight will bring out the best in his side, adding: "When we get further into this run, it starts getting more nitty gritty, where teams are fighting. And I think that bodes well for us, because we're good at it."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tottenham heading to Sydney in May

6 March 2015

799549header.jpg

The latest coup in a bumper off-season for Australian football, a friendly between Sydney FC and Tottenham Hotspur, has been confirmed for May 30.

Premier League heavyweights Spurs will take on the Sky Blues at ANZ Stadium five days after their last match of the season away to Everton.

"We are looking forward to visiting Sydney and giving our fans in that part of the world an opportunity to see the team up close," Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino said in a statement.

"Our match against Sydney FC is sure to be hard-fought and entertaining, with the A-League becoming stronger every year and attracting some big-name players."

The visit of Spurs kicks off an unprecedented programme of exhibition matches in Australia, with Liverpool set to play in Adelaide and Brisbane, while Real Madrid, Manchester City and Roma will contest the International Champions Cup at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

An opponent for the annual A-League All Stars fixture, which featured Manchester United in 2013 and Juventus last year, is yet to be announced.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ramsey not out to prove a point against Tottenham

6 March 2015

799682header.jpg

QPR manager Chris Ramsey insists he has no point to prove against his former employers Tottenham on Saturday.

The Premier League contest at Loftus Road will see Ramsey lead his team against a club where he spent 10 years - including acting as first-team coach under former boss Tim Sherwood.

Ramsey subsequently left White Hart Lane along with Sherwood at the end of last season, but he insists that the exit was amicable and revenge is not a motivating factor as he looks for a crucial three points in QPR's fight for survival.

"No, I've proved my point at Tottenham already," he said. "They're a very good club.

"I had a great time there, it's a great club with a great board and they have a management team doing great in the league and the cups.

"I have nothing but admiration for the club. I left on good terms."

QPR put in a spirited performance in Wednesday's 2-1 loss to Arsenal, but the defeat leaves them in 18th - three points adrift of safety.

And Ramsey is well aware of the need to start winning sooner or later with just 11 games left in their season.

"There's maybe six [teams battling relegation]," he added. "I've said it before if you get between 37 and 40 points you'll stay up, but time is running out for us. We have to start winning. Three points is important.

"The players know the situation we're in, whether it's the top or bottom the pressure is always there especially in a league like the Premier League, it's hard to keep their anxieties down.

"It's important to stick to our plans and play to the best of our abilities."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Evans and Cisse charged over spitting

5 March 2015

799410header.jpg

Jonny Evans and Papiss Cisse could face bans for spitting, after being charged by the Football Association.

The pair clashed in the first half of Manchester United's 1-0 Premier League win at Newcastle United on Wednesday, with Cisse initially appearing to aim a kick at the Northern Irishman.

Evans responded by seeming to spit in the striker's direction, which incensed Cisse and prompted a similar act.

Cisse apologised for his actions on Thursday, while Evans denied spitting, claiming "it is not in my character or in my nature to spit at anybody".

Old Trafford boss Louis van Gaal also attempted to draw a line under the incident and backed his player's version of events.

However, after referee Anthony Taylor missed the incident, a three-man panel were unanimous in their belief that both men should have been dismissed.

Evans and Cisse have until 1800 GMT on Friday to respond to their charge, with reports claiming they could face anywhere between a three-match and seven-game suspension.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal fumes at suggestion of poor relationship with Giggs

5 March 2015

vangaalgiggs-cropped_1df9tjrq9a5k1r3qauqrzqutm.jpg

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has reacted angrily to suggestions he has a poor relationship with assistant Ryan Giggs.

Reports of a feud between the pair were fuelled on Wednesday by their respective reactions to Ashley Young's late winner in a 1-0 Premier League victory at Newcastle United.

Both rose to their feet from the bench, but Van Gaal swiftly turned to Giggs, shouting and waving a clenched fist in his face.

Van Gaal's joy was not replicated by the Welshman, who remained stony-faced after seeing another stuttering performance from his side at St James' Park.

When pressed on the matter at a news conference on Thursday, Van Gaal said: "I cannot answer that," before sarcastically repeating: "We have a very bad relationship."

Re-assuming a more serious tone, Van Gaal continued: "I'm very irritated by this question.

"We have a very good relationship, everyone can see that we work very hard together, and that goes for all the staff and players.

"I'll take this up with the media, I'm not pleased."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Adebayor not training with youth team, says Pochettino

1048342_heroa.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Mar 6, 2015 16:17:00

It had been claimed that the out-of-favour striker was banished from the senior squad but the Spurs boss says that he remains part of his plans ahead of taking on QPR

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has denied reports that striker Emmanuel Adebayor has been forced to train with the youth team.

Adebayor has not featured for Spurs' senior side since the second leg of their League Cup semi-final against Sheffield United in late January.

But, speaking ahead of Saturday's Premier League game against relegation-threatened London rivals QPR, Pochettino said of Adebayor: "Always he trains with the first team. Is he part of my plans? Yes. Yes, all the players are with us in the first team."

Tottenham are six points adrift of fourth-placed Manchester United in the race for Champions League football and will need to be defensively sound against a QPR team featuring striker Charlie Austin, who has scored 15 goals this season.

"It's not easy because maybe seven or eight teams fight for it [the top four]," Pochettino added. "We need to go step by step, improve in our philosophy.

"We are in a good process. My worry now is always to improve. To learn and improve.

"We expect a very tough game. QPR are a strong team, they are playing at home and it will be a very difficult game. It's a local derby and the three points will be important for them and for us.

"Charlie Austin is a very good player; he has scored a lot of goals. We need to focus on him and [Bobby] Zamora, who is another good player."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gomis offers assurances over health

5 March 2015

799102header.jpg

Bafetimbi Gomis has insisted he is in good physical health after the Swansea City striker fainted during Wednesday's 3-2 Premier League defeat at Tottenham.

The Frenchman collapsed near the centre circle shortly after Tottenham had opened the scoring through Nacer Chadli's seventh-minute strike.

Both sets of medical staff rushed to his aid, with Gomis eventually taken off on a stretcher with an oxygen mask after receiving treatment.

The Former Lyon and Saint-Etienne man has a history of fainting in matches but, after manager Garry Monk offered post-match assurances over his condition, Gomis took to Twitter to do the same.

Gomis posted: "I wanted to reassure you concerning my health, it actually looks much more scary than physically dangerous and I am feeling well now .

"I have been under a great deal of stress and fatigue due to my father health that requires me to go back and forth to France.

"I was disappointed that I couldn't help my team tonight but now everything is back in order.

"I also want to thank everyone for their support and get well messages."

FunnyAhmad

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Adebayor not training with youth team, says Pochettino

"We are in a good process. My worry now is always to improve. To learn and improve.

"We expect a very tough game. QPR are a strong team, they are playing at home and it will be a very difficult game. It's a local derby and the three points will be important for them and for us.

"Charlie Austin is a very good player; he has scored a lot of goals. We need to focus on him and [Bobby] Zamora, who is another good player."

Adebayor is a waste of time and money. He has been quite lacking in motivation for a few years already and Arsenal were right in offloading him.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Giggs backs Di Maria to show his quality

9 March 2015

801462header.jpg

Manchester United assistant manager Ryan Giggs has backed under-fire Angel di Maria to improve on his recent performances and showcase his quality.

After an impressive start to his career at Old Trafford, Di Maria's form has dipped in recent weeks, leading to criticism from some quarters.

However, Giggs believes the Argentinian will prove his doubters wrong and return to putting in match-winning displays.

"I think his confidence is fine," he said. "He's a quality player and we'll be looking for him to produce because it is big game after big game now.

"Players get used to different leagues, sometimes quickly and sometimes it takes a bit of time.

"He had a really good start to the season, but with players who take risks and who can win games, it's always difficult to be consistent because they will try things that other players won't do.

"They're capable of doing that and that's why they're match-winners and the best players."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Johnson open to move abroad

9 March 2015

801499header.jpg

With his Liverpool contract set to expire at the end of this season, Glen Johnson says he is not in talks over a new deal and would consider a move abroad.

Johnson joined Liverpool from Portsmouth in 2009 and established himself as a regular furst choice at full-back.

The England international has struggled with injuries this term and Sunday's FA Cup quarter-final with Blackburn Rovers was his first start in any competition since January.

"No talks [with Liverpool]," he said. "At this point I have no idea [where I will be next season]. I haven't thought about it.

"There are talks [about a move abroad]. It would be great for the kids to go abroad but I am not thinking about yet as we have two months left here and I'll think about it after that.

"We will have to wait and see."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vertonghen urges Kane to rest

9 March 2015

801380header.jpg

Jan Vertonghen has urged Tottenham team-mate Harry Kane to rest at the end of the season and not play for England Under-21s in the European Championships.

Kane has been in scintillating form in 2014-15, with Saturday's brace at QPR taking his tally to 26 across all competitions.

Former England Under-21 boss Stuart Pearce believes the striker should play in the tournament in Czech Republic in June, but Vertonghen has warned Kane against burnout.

"It's difficult for me to judge," said Vertonghen. "Of course England want him. He is a brilliant striker and he can be the main man, but I think he needs his rest for next season.

"It's his call and I know a player always wants to play but sometimes you have to be careful.

"It's a difficult one because last season I played with injuries, but sometimes you just can't. You have to think about what's going to come.

"It's his decision and it's a totally different situation from when I played in 2007. Did that benefit my development as a player? It's hard to tell. I enjoyed playing for my country because I never played international football at youth level.

"So that was my first tournament as a Belgium player and I enjoyed it. It was in Holland and I played in Holland for Ajax at the time, so for me it was brilliant."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pulis calls for lifetime bans for West Brom fans

9 March 2015

801317header.jpg

Tony Pulis says any West Brom fans found guilty of causing trouble at Aston Villa on Saturday should be banned for life.

Villa won the FA Cup quarter-final 2-0, but the victory was marred by multiple pitch invasions towards the end of the game.

The Football Association has confirmed it will investigate the incidents, with reports also emerging that visiting fans were throwing seats from the North Stand.

"If that was the situation, and they've got CCTV cameras up there, those supporters should never come into another football ground," Pulis said.

"It is like people coming into someone else's house - you have to show respect.

"I am old enough to have seen isolated incidents happen like that.

"I don't want to have a go and take anything away from what happened on the pitch and what happened in the game.

"If one thing, Villa should look at the stewarding because with a game at this time of night, 5.30pm, you need to police it properly, and I am sure Villa will look at it."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Balotelli an absolute waste of time for Liverpool - Lawrenson

982642_heroa.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Mar 9, 2015 08:30:00

The €20 million striker has not scored in his last five competitive matches and the former Reds defender argues that he "shouldn't be anywhere near" Brendan Rodgers' XI

Former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson launched a scathing attack on Mario Balotelli after the Italian striker failed to make the difference against Blackburn Rovers on Sunday.

Balotelli came off the bench in the second half of the Reds' FA Cup quarter-final tie against Blackburn at Anfield but his introduction was not enough to prevent a replay as the game finished goalless.

The Italy international has now gone five competitive matches without scoring and has only netted four goals in all competitions since joining Liverpool from AC Milan for €20 million, and Lawrenson believes he is a waste of space at Anfield.

"Forget about Mario Balotelli. He is an absolute waste of time. He shouldn't be anywhere near this team," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I can see why Brendan Rodgers threw him on against Blackburn as he might just create something but 99 times out of 100 he will let you down."

Lawrenson's criticism comes days after Balotelli's agent, Mino Raiola, insisted the striker was developing even more under Rodgers.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

West Brom midfielder Brunt charged by FA

1062952_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Mar 9, 2015 17:56:00

The Baggies vice-captain is alleged to have directed abusive and/or insulting language at referee Anthony Taylor after the final whistle at Villa Park

West Brom midfielder Chris Brunt has been charged by the Football Association following an alleged incident in the tunnel after Saturday's FA Cup quarter-final at Aston Villa.

Brunt is accused of verbally clashing with referee Anthony Taylor after an ill-tempered encounter at Villa Park on Saturday that saw home supporters twice invade the pitch in the closing stages and seats ripped out and thrown by a minority of away fans.

Both clubs have been contacted by the FA about the disturbance, but Brunt is facing individual sanction over his actions after the final whistle.

An FA statement read: "It is alleged that in or around the tunnel area after the end of the fixture the player used abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour towards a Match Official."

Brunt has been given until 6pm on Thursday March 12 to respond.