• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Leicester 'agree' Maloney fee

Leicester have agreed a fee in the region of 1m with Wigan for Scotland midfielder Shaun Maloney.

Tuesday 13th January 2015

w638_h359_at__9644108.jpg

Maloney moved to Wigan for 1m on the last day of the August transfer window in August 2011.

He has won the FA Cup during his time with the Latics and has also appeared 37 times for Scotland.

The Premier League's bottom club continue to wait for the Home Office to decide if Andrej Kramaric can receive a work permit after the Football Association recommended that he should be granted one on Monday. However, the ultimate decision will depend on immigration officials.

Leicester have already announced a deal is in place for the Croatia striker but, if the deal falls through, manager Nigel Pearson's next target is Mainz striker Shinji Okazaki.

City's initial bid for the Japan international has been rejected with the Bundesliga club asking upwards of 8m for the goalscorer.

MeeSoupOzil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This guy is not worth it....he is more thug than player....worse than Joey Barton.

But Morrison's reputation for violence off the field - he has admitted to witness intimidation, plus been charged but never convicted of assault - as well as a number of stories about his lack of commitment to training means Allardyce wonders if the midfielder can find a new employer.

"He went there to play games of football and try and reinvent himself. If he'd have done the business there he could have created a much more healthy position.

"He has left himself in a very difficult position now."

[/COLOR]

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

´They would even sing my song when I walked down the street´ - Bony thanks Swansea fans

14 January 2015

772101header.jpg

Wilfried Bony expressed his gratitude to Swansea City after completing his much-anticipated switch to Manchester City on Wednesday.

Bony, who is currently on international duty with the Ivory Coast at the Africa Cup of Nations, moves to the Etihad Stadium after penning a four-and-a-half-year deal following days of negotiations between the two clubs.

The striker - signed from Vitesse for a club-record £12million in 2013 - will leave behind a sizeable void at Swansea, having netted 34 goals in 70 appearances for the Liberty Stadium outfit, but says he will look back at his time in south Wales with great affection.

"I'm going to really miss Swansea - the club and its people," he told the club's official website. "But it's a big challenge that I had to take; one I'm excited about.

"I'd like to thank everyone at Swansea - from my playing colleagues, the coaches, medical team and the kit staff through to the chairman, who has been great with me. There are too many people to mention.

"The fans are up there at the top, though, because they've also supported me from the very first day I arrived, even when things weren't going so well for me. They've kept singing my name at the Liberty which has meant so much to me.

"They would even sing the Wilfried Bony song when I walked down the street, which is unbelievable. We would have a good joke about it.

"I only have good things to say about life in Swansea and the people because they’ve always shown me warmth – on and off the pitch. I'm going to miss everyone.

"I still believe that Swansea was the right club for me to join when I left Holland for the Premier League. I have no regrets, although it's going to be strange coming back to the Liberty to play against Swansea.

"But now was the right time for me to gain more experience and challenge myself with Champions League football and to try and win trophies.

"I have spoken to the coach [Garry Monk] and he has wished me good luck for the future. I would also like to thank him, not just as the coach, but also when he was a player last season, because he has helped me a lot.

"I will also speak to Ash [Ashley Williams] later to thank him as captain and to pass on my gratitude to the rest of the squad.

"It's a good squad that will continue to do well this season. I have no doubts about that."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pulis reunited with Francis at West Brom

14 January 2015

771760header.jpg

Tony Pulis has lured Gerry Francis to West Brom, continuing their partnership from his days at Stoke City and Crystal Palace.

Pulis was appointed West Brom's manager on January 1 and moved towards a more settled support staff on Tuesday, with Francis joining Dave Kemp as an assistant coach, while Paul Jewell decided to end his short-term stint at The Hawthorns.

Jewell only joined West Brom last week.

Francis - a former England captain - helped Pulis lead Palace to Premier League safety last season, while they also worked together at Stoke from 2008 until Pulis was shown the door in 2013.

"Gerry and I have worked well together at both Stoke and Crystal Palace and it was always part of my plan for him to join me at Albion," Pulis said in a statement on West Brom's website.

"I value his insight and experience of the very highest levels of our game and I'm delighted that he is now on board. We have an agreement that we have employed in the past and suits us both."

Francis was all business when asked about joining West Brom.

"I like the set-up. Albion have a good training ground, good facilities but, just as was the case at Stoke and Palace, it's vitally important for the club to retain Premier League status," the 63-year-old said.

"There's going to be a number of teams involved in the situation. We've had three decent results but there's a lot of work to do with the side and Tony is obviously looking to strengthen if he can.

"But I'm looking forward to the challenge."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Eto´o could leave Everton - Martinez

14 January 2015

771827header.jpg

Roberto Martinez is considering whether to let striker Samuel Eto'o leave Everton amid interest from two unnamed clubs.

Everton manager Martinez dismissed talk of Eto'o being on the verge of joining Serie A club Sampdoria as speculation on Monday.

The former Cameroon international was then left out of the Merseyside club's squad for Tuesday's FA Cup third-round defeat at West Ham.

Sampdoria continue to be linked with a move for the 33-year-old frontman and the Seattle Sounders are also reported to be keen to take him to Major League Soccer.

Martinez confirmed after Everton's FA Cup exit that Eto'o is in demand, but has not decided whether to allow him to leave Goodison Park.

The Spaniard said: "With Samuel, we have a really good relationship and we are looking at his situation.

"We had a couple of clubs contact us in the last 12 hours so I decided it was better now to leave him out of the squad and allow us a different focus in the group.

"We will decide [in the] next few days the next step. He's been fantastic for us, we've got a really good relationship and we will see what's [the] next best step for both [parties]."

Eto'o joined Everton on a two-year contract in August after his contract with Chelsea expired.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nice wait on FFF´s Ben Arfa decision

14 January 2015

772106header.jpg

Nice are sweating on Hatem Ben Arfa's future amid suggestions he has breached FIFA regulations and appeared for too many clubs this season.

The former Newcastle United midfielder completed his move to the Ligue 1 club earlier this month after a mixed four-year spell on Tyneside that included a brief loan at Hull City.

However, Ben Arfa may be prohibited from playing during the remainder of 2014-15 due to an apparent breach of FIFA laws that state a player can only play for two clubs in a season.

With the 27-year-old having featured for Newcastle's under-21s and Hull this season, Nice are now waiting on a decision from the French Football Federation (FFF).

With the Football Association (FA) in England stating that an under-21 game is not classed as competitive, FIFA wrote to the FFF to state otherwise - leaving the decision in the hands of French football's governing body.

"OGC Nice just received the copy of the letter sent today by FIFA to FFF," read a statement on Nice's website.

"Contrary to the position of the [English] Football Association, it appears for FIFA that the under-21 game "shall be considered official as defined in rules" and "should be taken into account for the calculation of the setting pursuant to Article 5 para. 3 of the Regulation" status and transfer of players.

"FIFA then drew the attention of the FFF to the fact that this letter was "purely informative" and "is therefore without prejudice to anyone."

"The decision is up to the French authorities. Pending the decision of the FFF, OGC Nice will make no further communication."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Huth charged for explicit tweets

14 January 2015

771852header.jpg

The Football Association have charged Robert Huth with misconduct following tweets sent by the Stoke City defender earlier this month.

The German centre-back responded to tweets sent from an account which posts sexual images and invites users to guess the gender of individuals in the pictures.

Huth deleted the tweets and later issued an apology for any offence caused by his actions.

He tweeted: "Clearly no offence was meant or directed to anyone, but apologies if I've offended anyone."

However, Huth could now face a suspension after the FA revealed on Wednesday that the former Chelsea man has been charged for his use of social media.

A statement on the governing body's official website said: "Stoke City's Robert Huth has been charged for misconduct in relation to comments posted on social media.

"It is alleged the comments were indecent and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute, contrary to FA Rule E3(1).

"It is further alleged that this breach of Rule E3(1) is an “Aggravated Breach” as defined in Rule E3(2), as it included a reference to gender and/or gender reassignment.

"Huth has until 6pm on 21 January 2015 to respond to the charge."

Huth has been linked with a loan move this month after falling down the pecking order at Stoke under Mark Hughes.

MeeSoupOzil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Eto´o could leave Everton - Martinez

14 January 2015

771827header.jpg

Roberto Martinez is considering whether to let striker Samuel Eto'o leave Everton amid interest from two unnamed clubs.

Everton manager Martinez dismissed talk of Eto'o being on the verge of joining Serie A club Sampdoria as speculation on Monday.

The former Cameroon international was then left out of the Merseyside club's squad for Tuesday's FA Cup third-round defeat at West Ham.

Sampdoria continue to be linked with a move for the 33-year-old frontman and the Seattle Sounders are also reported to be keen to take him to Major League Soccer.

Martinez confirmed after Everton's FA Cup exit that Eto'o is in demand, but has not decided whether to allow him to leave Goodison Park.

The Spaniard said: "With Samuel, we have a really good relationship and we are looking at his situation.

"We had a couple of clubs contact us in the last 12 hours so I decided it was better now to leave him out of the squad and allow us a different focus in the group.

"We will decide [in the] next few days the next step. He's been fantastic for us, we've got a really good relationship and we will see what's [the] next best step for both [parties]."

Eto'o joined Everton on a two-year contract in August after his contract with Chelsea expired.

Everton should let him go and get someone younger even if they have to spend a bit more. Their campaign this season is very lacklustre so far.

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nasri out for up to a month

16 January 2015

773056header.jpg

Samir Nasri will miss Manchester City's clash with former club Arsenal after being ruled out for up to a month with a calf problem.

Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri is set for a month on the sidelines with a calf injury.

The ex-France international has been a regular in the City XI so far this season, and was expected to line up against former club Arsenal in the Premier League on Sunday.

However, manager Manuel Pellegrini has revealed he will be without Nasri for at least three weeks.

"Samir Nasri has a calf injury so he will not be fit," he said. "I think he will be out for around three weeks to a month.

But there is some more positive news for Pellegrini, who has seen his attacking line in particular depleted by injuries in recent weeks.

"Vincent Kompany is 100 per cent fit," he continued. "We have some doubts about Edin Dzeko.

"[Aguero] is working with the squad every day and he doesn't have any problem. We will see if he will start."

Pellegrini added Wilfried Bony to his squad this week, signing the striker from Swansea City for a reported £28million, but will have to wait until the player's involvement in the Africa Cup of Nations with the Ivory Coast comes to an end before bedding him into his squad.

"Wilfried Bony is similar to [former City striker] Alvaro Negredo," he added. "He is an important striker inside the box."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Duo hand Newcastle injury boost

15 January 2015

772456header.jpg

Mehdi Abeid and Siem de Jong have returned to Newcastle United training after recovering from respective toe and thigh injuries.

Newcastle United duo Mehdi Abeid and Siem de Jong handed caretaker manager John Carver a boost by returning to first-team training on Thursday.

Abeid has been struggling with a broken toe since sustaining the injury on international duty with Algeria in November – forcing him to miss the Africa Cup of Nations finals.

Midfielder De Jong, meanwhile, has made just two league appearances following his move from Ajax, due to a serious thigh injury he suffered in September.

However, both players are expected to be in contention for a first-team place in the near future.

"Mehdi Abeid and Siem de Jong trained for the first time today," said Carver on Thursday. "Mehdi is further ahead than Siem."

Carver also delivered an update on the fitness of Gabriel Obertan, who has been sidelined with a thigh problem.

"Gabriel Obertan is about two weeks away from joining in with the team. He's in great condition and has worked really hard," Carver added.

Newcastle, still looking for their first win of 2015, host high-flying Southampton at St James' Park on Saturday.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers refusing to discuss Gerrard return

15 January 2015

772462header.jpg

Brendan Rodgers refused to be drawn on speculation surrounding a possible return to Liverpool for Steven Gerrard from LA Galaxy.

Brendan Rodgers refused to comment on speculation regarding a potential return to Liverpool for Steven Gerrard.

The Liverpool captain is set to leave the club at the end of the season and join MLS side LA Galaxy, thus ending a 26-year association with the Anfield outfit.

With the Galaxy's 2015 season set to run from March to December, it remains to be seen what will happen to Gerrard at the conclusion of this year.

A potential loan move back to Liverpool has been rumoured, but Rodgers was unwilling to talk about the situation in a press conference on Thursday.

"I won't speculate on if he comes back. He's still a Liverpool player," the manager said.

Rodgers, who says the club are "in discussions" about bringing Divock Origi back from Lille this month, also dismissed reports that misfiring striker Mario Balotelli could move on in the current transfer window.

"Mario works hard," he said. "He certainly won't be going anywhere in January."

Defender Dejan Lovren arrived from Southampton in the off-season, but the Croatian has failed to impress thus far and has not started a game since the 3-0 defeat at Manchester United on December 14.

"Dejan will prove in his time he is a very very good player," Rodgers said.

"He needs time and he will prove to be an outstanding player. This year experience will benefit him."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gomis going nowhere - Monk

15 January 2015

772480header.jpg

Swansea City manager Garry Monk will not sell Bafetimbi Gomis and has backed Wilfried Bony to be a success at Manchester City.

Swansea City manager Garry Monk is not prepared to lose striker Bafetimbi Gomis after Wilfried Bony departed to Manchester City in a big-money deal this week.

Bony completed a switch to the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday, but rumours surrounding a potential exit for Bony have persisted, with Crystal Palace thought to be among the clubs keeping a keen eye on the France international.

However, asked whether Gomis will stay at the Liberty Stadium, Monk said: "100 per cent.

"I can't affect what goes on elsewhere and what is said, but we control what is here. He works hard, his commitment is there for me to see and my focus is on him producing his best football for us.

"There has been nothing at all [in terms of enquiries]. Speculation is speculation, I don’t worry myself with any of that, only on preparation for the game coming up."

Bony's transfer is reported to be worth £28million to Swansea and Monk thinks the deal was in the best interests of the club.

"I had discussions with the club over the situation and you have to take a lot of things into consideration when these things come up," he continued. "We will always do what's best for the club.

"We felt this deal was."

Despite the pangs of disappointment over losing Bony, who scored 34 goals in 70 appearances, Monk believes Swansea should be proud of the role they played in his development.

"You could see from his performances how committed he was here and when this opportunity comes around you have to consider all views - his, mine, the club - and you have to make a decision that is best for the club but also the player," he added.

"He will be fantastic there, we all know his quality and, with world-class players at Manchester City and the chances they create, he'll do fantastically well and hopefully he goes there and produces the football he helped produce here.

"Of course, it is disappointing to lose a big player and a big personality, but I kind of feel proud of it that the team-mates and club played a good part in his development, improved him and gave him a platform to do what he's done.

"I'm versed in the history of the club and these sums of money now make me proud. We wish him all the best, he deserves his chance. All players want to play at the highest level, so he goes with our blessing."

Swansea host Chelsea in the Premier League on Saturday.

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stoke sweating on Pieters fitness ahead of Leicester clash

15 January 2015

772468header.jpg

Mark Hughes is sweating on the fitness of Erik Pieters ahead of Stoke City's Premier League clash with Leicester City on Saturday.

Mark Hughes will make a late decision on the fitness of Erik Pieters ahead of Stoke City's Premier League clash with Leicester City.

Pieters was withdrawn at half-time on Sunday as Stoke fell to a 3-0 defeat to Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium with a groin injury and has not recovered as quickly as expected.

That could see the full-back miss this weekend's match at the King Power Stadium against bottom club Leicester, with Hughes saying Pieters will continue to be monitored.

"Erik is a bit of a worry for us to be fair, and we will need to check him out because he is still a little bit sore," he told the club's official website

"We had hoped that it would have settled down by now. He has felt something in his groin for a number of weeks, but in fairness to him it hasn't been noticeable because he has been playing as well as ever.

"He just felt something before the end of the first half, though, when he blocked a cross so we need to get to the bottom of that."

Pieters is not the only concern for Hughes as Steven N'Zonzi is also a doubt, but the midfielder has made better progress from a similar injury sustained against Arsenal.

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

United match not make or break for Redknapp

16 January 2015

772938header.jpg

QPR boss Harry Redknapp does not believe his job is in danger and says Shaun Wright-Phillips has turned down numerous loan opportunities.

QPR manager Harry Redknapp has laughed off claims that Saturday's Premier League clash with Manchester United is a pivotal fixture in deciding his future at the club.

Redknapp's men currently sit second bottom, two points off the foot of the table and have lost all 10 of their away matches so far this season.

But Redknapp says it would be unfair to hang his job on a meeting with the 20-time champions of England.

"The journalists could have picked an easier game for me," he joked. "No, seriously, I take no notice of that.

"I've got a great relationship with the owner and the shareholders, but if they want to take a change of direction then that's their decision.

"There's nothing I can do about that - whatever they do, they do. There's no point losing sleep.

"I spoke to [chairman] Tony Fernandes yesterday, and all week, and he mentioned nothing of that nature to me."

Redknapp, speaking at a news conference on Friday, also revealed out-of-favour winger Shaun Wright-Phillips had turned down numerous opportunities to go on loan to Championship clubs.

"We've offered Shaun the chance to go out on loan, but he's not wanted to go," he added.

"I think he needs to move on and play - I've told him that many times.

"He is a good lad, he's not a minute's problem. He trains hard.

"I think he needs to move on, but he's not going to move when he's on a fantastic contract.

"It is not the boy's fault. If someone wants to give you a lot less money, you're not going to move are you?

"Blackburn, Bolton, maybe Charlton, they've come in for him and he didn't want to know. He doesn't want to go on loan."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Allardyce hopeful of permanent Song deal

16 January 2015

772963header.jpg

Sam Allardyce is hoping to keep Alex Song at West Ham on a permanent basis when his loan from Barcelona expires.

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce is hopeful of landing midfielder Alex Song permanently when his loan deal expires at the end of the season.

Song is reportedly attracting the attentions of both Liverpool and Manchester United, but Allardyce insists the London club West Ham have the financial clout to compete for his signature.

"There are a considerable amount of funds available next season," he said. "We can't be spending that this season because we are at the extreme of that budget but next season is a completely new budget.

"It depends what Barcelona are looking for and what Alex is looking for and those negotiations will happen in and around that period."

Allardyce also insists he has no fears regarding the future of on-loan full-back Carl Jenkinson.

Parent club Arsenal have been left short at the back following an injury to Mathieu Debuchy, but the West Ham boss does not believe Arsene Wenger has the option to recall Jenkinson.

"I'm 99 per cent sure he's ours for the season," he added. "I don't think there is a call-back clause this month."

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

826732_thumb.jpg

Newcastle 1-2 Southampton: Elia double keeps Saints marching on
The Dutch winger, on loan from Werder Bremen, scored his first goals for Ronald Koeman's side either side of a bizarre strike for Yoan Gouffran at St James's Park

826012_thumb.jpg

Van Gaal on misfiring Falcao: I have to judge him on goals
The Colombian wasted a number of chances against QPR, though goals from Marouane Fellaini and James Wilson helped the Red Devils pick up three points at Loftus Road

825792_thumb.jpg

QPR 0-2 Manchester United: Fellaini & Wilson get Van Gaal's men back on track
Radamel Falcao failed to respond to Louis van Gaal's pre-match challenge to prove himself but the giant Belgian came off the bench to secure all three points at Loftus Road

825212_thumb.jpg

Tottenham 2-1 Sunderland: Eriksen to the rescue as Spurs leave it late
Sebastian Larsson's free-kick looked set to seal a point for the Black Cats, only for the former Ajax man to strike from long-range for Mauricio Pochettino's side

825992_thumb.jpg

Aston Villa 0-2 Liverpool: Borini & Lambert pile the pressure on goal shy Villans
The Italian and the former Southampton man both scored their second career goals for the Reds to extend the hosts' winless run in the Premier League to seven

825492_thumb.jpg

Swansea City 0-5 Chelsea: Oscar & Diego Costa inspire ruthless Blues
Jose Mourinho's side scored four goals before half-time, and though they were unable to repeat the trick after the break, Andre Schurrle added a late fifth

825822_thumb.jpg

Leicester 0-1 Stoke City: Bojan keeps Pearson’s Foxes rooted to the bottom
The Spaniard's strike midway through the second-half was enough to earn all three points for the Potters and subject the Foxes to another defeat at the King Power Stadium

825352_thumb.jpg

Burnley 2-3 Crystal Palace: Gayle completes stunning comeback
The forward scored yet another late winner to earn Alan Pardew's side all three points at Turf Moor, despite the Clarets racing into a 2-0 lead early in the first-half

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United 'have to win every game' for top-four chance - Fellaini

825792_heroa.jpg

By Alex McMahon
Jan 17, 2015 22:12:00

The Belgian midfielder broke the deadlock to set up a 2-0 victory over QPR but warns that they cannot let up if they are to bring Champions League football back to Old Trafford

Manchester United must "win every game" if they are to secure a return to the Champions League, says midfielder Marouane Fellaini.

The Belgian came off the bench to break the deadlock as Louis van Gaal's side took a 2-0 victory at QPR on Saturday, James Wilson adding a second late on.

Southampton also won on Saturday to maintain their top-four challenge, while a win for Arsenal against Manchester City on Sunday could put them within one point of United in fourth.

"We have to win every game to stay in the top four," Fellaini stressed to MUTV of their competition.

"Every team wants to play in the Champions League so we have to keep going in a lot of games."

Meanwhile, 19-year-old Wilson hopes to add more goals to his game after also burying the second at Loftus Road, believing that his late strike will boost his confidence after a mixed season so far.

"It gives me great confidence as I've been struggling for my first goal this season off the back end of last season and hopefully I can take it into the next game and the rest of the season," he enthused.

"Walking into the dressing room [afterwards], everyone was congratulating me and making me feel really good and welcome."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: Liverpool have regained their identity

825182_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee at Villa Park
Jan 17, 2015 18:54:00

The Reds boss was pleased with his side's performance in the 2-0 defeat of Aston Villa, their sixth victory in their last eight matches since defeat at Manchester United

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says his side have regained their "identity" of the last two years in recent weeks, and praised the performance during the 2-0 win at Aston Villa.

Goals from Fabio Borini and Rickie Lambert handed the Reds victory in the Midlands, their sixth from the last eight matches in all competitions since defeat against Manchester United on December 14, and Rodgers has been impressed with his players' response.

"We regained our identity of how the team has played for two years," he told reporters. "It was well reported that we were nowhere near what we had been and we needed to find a solution to that. We changed the system for that game [against United] and even though we lost that game, I'd seen enough.

"You're always looking to improve, for us the challenge is with young players, you see the youthfulness of the team today. We're building towards the future here.

"We had a bump in the road in the early part of the season now but we're improving, solid at the back and playing some good football now, but we have to keep improving.

"The most important thing for me is the style. In my time here we've played a lot of different systems. The players that we bring in are footballers, if you look at Emre Can today...what a player he is. That's a midfielder playing in defence.

"The most important thing for me is the identity and the style of the team."

The Liverpool boss dropped goalkeeper Simon Mignolet for that defeat at Old Trafford, only to be forced into bringing him back into the line-up after No.2 Brad Jones picked up an injury.

And Rodgers was full of praise for Mignolet's performance in the face of an Aston Villa barrage, led by Christian Benteke: "He was outstanding today, he made two or three good saves but what was really pleasing was how dominant he was.

"He looked really calm and composed, wasn't flustered and when called upon he made two very good saves, one outstanding save. I was very pleased for him, he's had a little bit of stick but he was excellent today."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal defends 3-5-2 system after QPR win

826942_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Jan 17, 2015 20:44:00

The former Netherlands boss remains confident in his tactics despite the Red Devils only scoring once they had reverted to a 4-4-2 set-up

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaaldefended the use of his 3-5-2 system after criticism from sections of the away supporters in Saturday's 2-0 Premier League win at QPR.

United ended a run of three league matches without a win as substitutes Marouane Fellaini and James Wilson scored in the second half to clinch all three points at Loftus Road.

However, it was a somewhat disjointed performance from United and some fans started chanting "4-4-2" in an apparent attempt to get Van Gaal to switch shape.

The Dutchman acknowledged that his side created more chances after changing tactics with the score at 1-0, but believes the defensive strength of his side is compromised when he plays four at the back.

"I know in advance when we play with four midfielders in a diamond that we create more chances," Van Gaal said.

"But then the balance of the team is also weak. And you see it because we have created chances but also Queens Park Rangers have, and we have to decide every week how to play. That's the question.

"But with the other system [3-5-2] we played against Tottenham, maybe you remember the first half - we created six or seven chances more than today and we did not score.

"So it's always the question - are you effective enough?"

Van Gaal recalled Radamel Falcao to his starting XI in the absence of injured Robin van Persie.

Earlier this week Van Gaal challenged the Colombia international to prove his worth to the team and though praising a decent showing, he stated the former Atletico Madrid man should have scored in the first half when he was denied by Rob Green at close range.

"In the first-half, I think we created one chance and I think Falcao has to score," Van Gaal added.

"But in the second-half I think Falcao was also three times [involved] with big chances and we scored two goals.

"It's not so important what I think because he wants to score goals and for me I have to judge how he has played and scoring goals is an important aspect of a striker, I know."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Redknapp laughs off sack rumours after latest QPR defeat

17 January 2015

773770header.jpg

Harry Redknapp laughed off sack rumours after QPR's 2-0 Premier League defeat to Manchester United on Saturday.

QPR manager Harry Redknapp laughed off claims his job could be under threat after their 2-0 defeat to Manchester United in the Premier League.

A 13th loss of the season extended their winless run to six games in all competitions and sees them remain in trouble in the bottom half of the table, two points above basement club Leicester City.

Reports prior to Saturday's fixture suggested defeat at Loftus Road could spell the end for Redknapp, but the 67-year-old insists he will be staying at the club.

"It's their [the owners] choice if they want to make a change," he said. "[But] because someone writes in a newspaper, suddenly everyone believes what is written.

"I spoke to Tony Fernandes this week five times and he's never mentioned anything to me, and just said what a load of nonsense.

"I don't worry. What will be, will be. We're still in amongst it.

"Okay, it was a setback today, but the bottom seven teams there is not a thing in it. It's going to be very close and I still think we've got as much of a chance as anybody."

A spirited first-half display from the strugglers was undone after 58 minutes when substitute Marouane Fellaini put United ahead, and fellow replacement James Wilson completed the win late on.

The QPR boss was disappointed to see the game slip out of his side's grasp, but was able to find the positives from yet another defeat.

"I am very pleased, I thought we worked very hard today," he added. "At half-time we were right in the game, I just felt it was important we didn't switch off, but we did and we got punished with the goal.

"Overall, I couldn't ask for more. It was one of our better home performances."