• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Disallowed goal angers Hulk

429882_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 28, 2014 10:10:00 PM

The forward had a goal chalked off for an alleged handball in the second half of a thrilling encounter on Saturday night, and was relieved to see his nation emerge victorious

Hulk has revealed his anger at match officials for disallowing his second half strike in Brazil's dramatic last-16 penalty shoot-out victory over Chile.

David Luiz opened the scoring 18 minutes into an enthralling encounter in Belo Horizonte but Alexis Sanchez levelled matters just after the half-hour mark.

The forward thought he had put Brazil back in front in the second half but his goal was disallowed for handball and the Selecao ultimately only scraped through 3-2 on penalties, with Julio Cesar saving two spot-kicks.

"It was a great match," Hulk, who missed during the shootout, told Rede Globo. "We knew how good Chile are.

"But we lost concentration and I made a mistake. It was our only mistake and they ended up scoring a goal.

"But then, there was my goal too, when the ball came to my chest but it wasn't given. To me, it was clean. I controlled the ball on my chest and shoulder.

"I saw the ball go in but he didn't give it and I initially thought [that the linesman] had given offside.

"But the important thing is really that we still made it [through]. In times like this we see the strength of the group; how much we support each other.

"We're together, we didn't let our heads drop. Thank God Julio [Cesar] made all those wonderful saves!"

Tournament hosts Brazil will now face either Colombia or Uruguay in the quarter-finals.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Scolari: Brazil and Neymar singled out by referees

429928_heroa.jpg

Jun 28, 2014 10:35:00 PM

The former Portugal boss was unhappy at the treatment dished out to his star man in Saturday's World Cup penalty shoot-out win over Chile

By Ben Hayward in Belo Horizonte

Luiz Felipe Scolari feels his Brazil side, and Neymar in particular, are being singled out for special treatment by referees.

Barcelona star Neymar was on the receiving end of some heavy tackles from Chile in Saturday’s World Cup round of 16 clash.

Although Scolari was delighted his players had emerged victorious in a tense penalty shoot-out following a 1-1 draw after extra-time, he was less enamoured by the performance of English referee Howard Webb.

He said: “I remember when I was Portugal coach and, in the fifth minute of the game, Netherlands defender Khalid Boulahrouz broke Cristiano Ronaldo in half and he had to go off 10 minutes later.

“When I saw Neymar after the game today I remembered that. Some people say Neymar falls too easily. He fell three times. There were 15 fouls on [Alexis] Sanchez and after 12 he went down.

“We have four or five days to get Neymar in shape for the next match. It is a big problem, his thigh is swollen.”

There was a lot of talk early in the tournament that Brazil were receiving preferential treatment from officials, most notably after the questionable penalty which enabled them to see off Croatia in the opening game.

Scolari believes things have now turned full circle, adding: “Everything that is wrong is with Brazil. We always see how things happen and how hesitant referees are when it comes to Brazil.

“If we are going to be champions it can’t be like this, it has to be the same for everyone. We’re starting to doubt that.”

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's time for Brazil to get nasty - Scolari

428040_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Jun 28, 2014 11:38:00 PM

The Selecao coach has vowed that his team will turn up the heat in their quarter-final clash and admitted being World Cup hosts has its drawbacks

Luiz Felipe Scolari has promised that Brazil will ditch their "politeness" and get nasty with World Cup opponents after their penalty shootout victory over Chile on Saturday.

The Selecao took the lead through David Luiz but were pegged back by Alexis Sanchez and forced to a 1-1 draw after 120 minutes.

Julio Cesar pulled off two shooutout saves - while David Luiz, Marcelo and Neymar converted their spot kicks ,as Brazil overcame huge pressure in Belo Horizonte to reach the last eight of the tournament, and Scolari admitted that their profligacy and "politeness" almost cost them.

"We scored the goal, then we suffered a goal from a throw-in, which is unacceptable in modern football," head coach Felipao told reporters.

"After that, we had three or four chances to score a winner and we couldn't do it because of lack of precision. That's when we always get under more pressure. The possession was the same, but we couldn't score.

"We had a discussion in the dressing room, after the game, about how we're being too nice and too cordial with our opponents.

"It's time we show that we can't be laid back every day. It's time we defended a little diferently, to go back to my style which is slightly more aggressive. I can't stand all this politeness any more."

World Cup hosts Brazil handled the immense pressure in the shootout brilliantly and the trainer - who lifted the trophy with the Selecao in 2002 - conceded that the fanatical support in the nation has its drawbacks.

"We felt really tense," he said. "It's not easy to play a World Cup at home.

"We could just admit that reaching the final is hard enough, but the team and the fans have embraced the idea of us being champions. And we will be. We could dodge the subject. But confidence is what the people are expecting and we must maintain that."

Scolari's men will face Colombia in the last eight of the World Cup after James Rodriguez's two goals saw them past Uruguay shortly after Brazil knocked out Chile.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sampaoli curses Chile misfortune

429958_heroa.jpg

By Kris Voakes
Jun 28, 2014 11:21:00 PM

The 54-year-old was left deflated after Mauricio Pinilla's extra-time strike came back off the crossbar, before his side went down 3-2 on penalties

Chile coach Jorge Sampaoli praised his players and cursed their luck following their last-16 elimination from the World Cup at the hands of Brazil.

La Roja were beaten 3-2 on penalties by the host nation in Belo Horizonte following a 1-1 draw after extra-time, but it could so easily have been different if a Mauricio Pinilla's shot hadn’t cannoned off the crossbar in the final minute of extra time.

“That near goal right at the end was really hard for us. We so nearly won, it was harsh,” Sampaoli told a post-match press conference.

“If we had scored then we would have made history forever. It would have been the ‘Mineirazo’.”

But while Chile couldn’t follow in the footsteps of Uruguay's 'Maracanazo' side of 1950 by beating Brazil on their home turf, Sampaoli was still full of praise for his battling outfit.

“I’m very proud of my players. I’m proud for Chile. Everyone was against us in the stadium, but we gave everything, we fought hard. The players have represented our country in a beautiful, wonderful way,” he added.

“Our team nearly won today, but moral victories don't count.”

The 54-year-old admitted that he had tried his best to prepare his team for a penalty shoot-out, but their return of two successful efforts from five attempts was down to the pressure of the moment.

“Penalties are something you always train for but when you are on the field, it's always different, it's more luck than anything else.

"We were able to give Brazil a fright. We have shown we are on a level with these great teams. I think Brazil will feel better and more confident after today.”

The Selecao will meet Colombia in the quarter-finals on Friday, while Chile fly home after falling to a fourth World Cup elimination at the hands of Brazil.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arevalo: Everyone wanted Uruguay out of the World Cup

429965_heroa.jpg

Jun 28, 2014 11:10:00 PM

The midfielder has stressed his belief that his nation were the victims of a vendetta against them in the wake of their 2-0 loss to Colombia at the Maracana

By Paul Macdonald at the Estadio Maracana

Uruguay midfielder Arevalo Rios believes that "everyone" wanted his nation out of the World Cup, following their 2-0 round of 16 loss to Uruguay at the Maracana.

A double from James Rodriguez ended Uruguay's controversial tournament, after they were forced to make do without Luis Suarez, due to the four-month ban from football imposed on him for biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini coming into effect.

A goal in either half sealed their fate, but Rios reckons that his side have been victimised from all quarters throughout the event.

He told Uruguayan TV: "We had to fight against everyone. And when I say everyone, we were against everyone. Since the World Cup draw, we know they wanted us out of the World Cup.

"This group showed that we won't stop fighting when things become harder and harder. We had two victories against big teams in the world and we did everything we could. But it was not enough against everything we had to face."

Colombia now progress to the quarter-finals, where they will meet hosts Brazil in Fortaleza, after their dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over Chile earlier on Saturday.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez row did not distract Uruguay, insists Tabarez

428644_heroa.jpg

Jun 29, 2014 12:50:00 AM

In the absence of their star striker Uruguay crashed out of the World Cup to a James Rodriguez-inspired Colombia, but their coach insists the row did not drain them

By Liam Twomey at Estadio Maracana

Oscar Tabarez insists his Uruguay players were not affected by the Luis Suarez biting controversy after they crashed out of the World Cup to Colombia.

The Uruguay FA are in the process of appealing the four-month global ban and nine-game international suspension handed down to Suarez by Fifa for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.

The Liverpool star's absence overshadowed preparations for Saturday's round of 16 clash at the Maracana but in the event it was James Rodriguez, Colombia's talisman, who stole the show with two goals.

Uruguay lacked attacking drive and inspiration throughout the match, but while Tabarez admitted his team missed their star striker, he remained adamant that the controversy had not left them drained of energy.

"When we discussed things before the match we all knew what happened, but we had to stop thinking about it and only bring out the positive things," he told reporters.

"That generated a lot of strength to come out of this match with a good result. Suarez is a very important player but we knew he was not going to play or be close to us because it was so decided by the punishment imposed on him.

"I don’t know what energy we could have lost. We simply accepted that he was suspended, and we criticised the excessive harshness of the sanction - very subjective, it’s true, but it’s the feeling of an entire people.

"Football needs players of the quality of Luis Suarez. We know him as a human being and we tried to defend him. When he no longer was able to be with us, that was the end of that. We had the energy and we showed that.

"I don’t want to talk about this anymore in front of people who have been after him for a long time."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sublime James gives Uruguay something to chew over

429994_heroa.jpg

Jun 28, 2014 10:55:00 PM

The midfielder scored both goals as Jose Pekerman's side booked a quarter-final clash against Brazil with a 2-0 win over Uruguay at the Maracana on Saturday

By Greg Stobart at the Estadio Maracana

This was billed as the clash between two teams missing their star players on a stage made for special talents.

Yet James Rodriguez made sure that this last-16 clash still showcased one of the world’s best and it is hard to conceive that Luis Suarez or Radamel Falcao could possibly have made a greater impact.

James is so baby-faced that he looks like he should still be at school, but the 22-year-old was the man among the boys as he sunk Uruguay to book Colombia’s place in the World Cup quarter-finals for the first time in their history.

He has been arguably the man of the tournament so far and his double here means he tops the scoring charts with five goals while he also has two assists to his name.

Brazil are in his sights now. And he has given the hosts something to fear ahead of their last-eight clash in Fortaleza on Friday.

The first goal was special, the best of the World Cup so far.

He had no right to score, particularly in the context of 28 minutes of dour, attritional football up to that point.

But James controlled Juan Cuadrado’s headed pass with his chest, swivelled like a ballet dancer and struck a perfect left-footed volley in off the crossbar from 25 yards.

It was jaw-dropping. If the atmosphere was not loud enough already – Colombia fans vastly outnumbered those from Uruguay – the noise level was deafening as he jigged by the corner flag with his team-mates.

Five minutes after the restart, Rodriguez was on hand with a poacher’s finish from close range, again after an intelligent contribution from Cuadrado when he headed across goal.

All the talk in the build up to the match focused on the four-month ban given to Suarez but the Uruguay striker’s standing as a national hero has clearly not been affected by his bite on Giorgio Chiellini.

Celeste supporters chanted Suarez’s name and wore masks representing his face, clearly feeling that Uruguay had been the victims of an injustice over the severity of the suspension.

If Suarez had been here, he might have given Colombia some attacking thrust and caused them problems.

Instead, Uruguay were listless going forward and Suarez had to watch from his living room in Montevideo as James stole the show.

He has been so good that the absence through injury of Falcao, one of the best strikers on the planet, has barely been noticed.

James can become a Colombia legend over the next decade. He is already their all-time leading scorer in the World Cup and has netted seven times in his last six international fixtures.

And with all eyes on the World Cup, there will be plenty of discussions in European boardrooms about how to get him out of Monaco.

Rodriguez has shown in this tournament that he has the talent and the mental strength to play for one of Europe’s big guns, that he could fit in any side whether it’s Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or Manchester United.

At 22, he has taken on the pressure of spearheading a nation whose previous best World Cup performance was a last-16 defeat to Cameroon in 1990.

His name was cheered loudest of all before kick-off and he received a standing ovation from all sides of this famous stadium when he was substituted five minutes from time.

If he carries on this form, Brazil will be next. And then, who knows? Perhaps Colombia and James could even find themselves back at the Maracana for the final on July 13.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chicharito benched again by Mexico

423009_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 28, 2014 9:53:00 PM

The Manchester United striker netted in El Tri's victory over Croatia, but will once again be restricted to the role of substitute on Sunday

Mexico boss Miguel Herrera has revealed Javier Hernandez will again start from the bench in his side's last-16 clash with Netherlands.

El Tri finished second to Brazil in Group A after defeating Cameroon and Croatia either side of a 0-0 draw with the tournament hosts.

Herrera, therefore, has decided against tinkering with the side that has served him so well to date, with Carlos Salcido's inclusion at the expense of the suspended Jose Juan Vazquez the only change in personnel.

“The ban forces us to put in Carlos but he is a guy with loads of experience," the Mexico coach told reporters on Saturday.

"He doesn’t have the intensity of Vazquez, but he has the timing and positional sense to constantly recover the ball and long-distance shooting that could be an important factor."

There had been talk of Hernandez earning a recall after his goal as a substitute in the 3-1 defeat of Croatia, but the Manchester United man will once again start on the bench.

“Chicharito has been an important factor for the team," Herrera stated. "What I thank him for the most is that he has never sulked.

"A player in his situation could think he has done enough to be a starter, but Javier is still helping the team with his attitude.

"He never reduces his effort and when he goes on he offers the lift that the team needs."

Turning his attention to the Dutch, Herrera admitted that he holds his Netherlands counterpart Louis van Gaal in the highest esteem.

“I don’t believe I can compare to Mr. Van Gaal, who has done incredible things with his teams," he enthused.

"For me, it is a pleasure and an honour to be on the bench in front of someone as important as him.

"We have a great opponent, but we are sure of the effort and determination we are showing, and the physical state of the team.

“Tomorrow will be complicated, but we trust that we are going to win."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal: The weather will affect us

427983_heroa.jpg

Jun 28, 2014 4:23:00 PM

The 62-year-old believes Mexico will be able to deal with the humidity and heat in Fortaleza better than his own team and is frustrated that the pitch is not in good condition

By Robin Bairner at Estadio Castelao, Fortaleza

Louis van Gaal believes the heat and humidity in Fortaleza will hinder his Netherlands side more than it will Mexico in their World Cup second round match.

Many players have complained about the temperatures in Brazil throughout the tournament and some games have required water breaks during each half.

As well as the pitch not being in great condition, Van Gaal is worried that the conditions will affect his team on Sunday, saying the North Americans will adjust easier than his own players.

"It’s OK," he told a press conference. "I was here a year ago, and it was hotter then, but even so the humidity is so high that it will affect the match.

"That’s why we tried to get the players to be as fit as possible. I’m quite conscious that it will also affect the Mexicans, but they’re used to it much more than [Netherlands] are.

"With Ajax, I played Mexico in Mexico City, and our players could hardly keep up for half the match.

"The pitch is the most important material for a football player. I just checked the pitch and it’s not that good."

The coach admitted Miguel Herrera's team will be a difficult opponent for his side, insisting they are better than his side's previous opponents Chile, before praising their coach.

"I think Mexico are comparable to Chile. If you look at the entire Mexico team, I would say they’re better. They almost play identically.

"They play according to their qualities and their skill. Mexico are a bit more eager, and you see this – it’s part and parcel of every player in their team, which is a wonderful thing to see.

"I expect a match like against Chile. There’s not such a big difference between the way they play. The Chilean team has two outstanding players, Mexico not so much, perhaps, but that’s why they’re a better team.

"I do think Mexico can grow even further – I would say every team can grow and develop further. It’s my feeling that the Mexican players are very open to what their coach has to say.

"I like it if a coach enjoys himself and is passionate. I saw an interview with him and he even says sensible things, so what more could you want."

Van Gaal says Leroy Fer is the only injured player in the team, but that Bruno Martins Indi, who suffered a concussion in the game against Australia, remains a worry.

"Apart from Leroy, everyone is fit."

"[The situation with Martins Indi is] slightly difficult because you don’t know when an injury [of this type] is over and done with. He trained yesterday but that doesn’t mean he’s ready for these extreme conditions. He could play for 20 minutes."

Having finished top of their group with wins over Spain, Chile and Australia, Van Gaal praised his players and says there is a great atmosphere in the camp.

"Well, I don’t think it would be possible [to play so well] without excellent harmony between players and staff. We have this harmony, and we create this harmony.

"Both players and staff are convinced they need to progress as far as possible, and this has resulted in what we’ve been able to show the world.

"It’s incredible that we have played a new system after only three weeks. We have players from foreign competitions, and we only get them one or two weeks prior to the world championship."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Algeria won't be easy for Germany, insists Low

429361_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 28, 2014 6:46:00 PM

The 54-year-old feels there is still much more to come from his side, that hammered Portugal in the group stage, but says they will not simply sweep the African nation aside

Joachim Low has dismissed the suggestion that Germany will have it "easy" in their World Cup last 16 clash with Algeria.

The three-time champions are heavy favourites to overcome Vahid Halilhodzic's men, who surprised many by pipping Russia to second place in Group H.

However, while Low feels that there is still more to come from a Germany side that opened their World Cup campaign by routing Cristiano Ronaldo's Portugal, before then drawing with Ghana and edging out United States, he is not underestimating the threat posed by Algeria.

"Knockout games have a magic about them," he told reporters on Saturday. "We'll be full of confidence, but it would be a big mistake to think it will be easy.

"We've delivered so far. We're essentially happy, but we know that we can play better."

Meanwhile, Low revealed that Jerome Boateng will be fit to feature in Porto Alegre but added that the last 16 clash has come too soon for Lukas Podolski.

"Jerome has got a little niggle in his knee," the Germany boss explained. "But it won't rule him out of the Algeria game.

"Lukas will be missing for the last 16, though. He's pulled a muscle. He needs two to three days of rest."

Should Germany progress to the quarter-finals, they would meet the winners of France's clash with Nigeria

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cabaye: France cannot be arrogant towards Nigeria

426627_heroa.jpg

Jun 28, 2014 10:47:00 PM

The midfielder has warned les Bleus against being over-confident, but still expects them to see off the Super Eagles

Yohan Cabaye has demanded that France are not "arrogant" when they face Nigeria on Monday after an impressive World Cup campaign so far.

Didier Deschamps' side needed a dramatic fightback to beat Ukraine in a play-off in order to secure their place in the finals in Brazil, but they breezed into the last 16 as Group E winners and are brimming with confidence ahead of their showdown against the African nation.

However, while Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Cabaye has taken great heart from their performances in the tournament so far, he reacted to talk of France being potential World Cup winners with caution.

"We have come a long way considering we almost didn't make it to Brazil, so we should not get ahead of ourselves," Cabaye told Fifa.com.

"The fact we showed our quality in the group stage obviously should make us more confident but not arrogant, otherwise we are going to have major problems.

"We are bidding to progress on Monday and go as far as possible but we must do that with the same mentality, determination and quality we have shown so far.

"We are going to play a very good team and if we lose we must accept that. There is little use in putting extra pressure on ourselves and adding weight to our expectations.

"It is good to be ambitious but winning the World Cup is not easy as one can see by the good teams that have already been eliminated.

"I respect Nigeria, though we can beat them, but to say we are going to win the World Cup one has to be careful. There is still a long way to go."

Cabaye comes back into starting XI contention to face Nigeria after serving a one-match ban which meant he played no part in the draw with Ecuador.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Switzerland can make history against Argentina, claims Hitzfeld

423335_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Jun 28, 2014 5:56:00 PM

The 65-year-old believes his team can spring a surprise against the South Americans in their World Cup clash, insisting they have "nothing to lose"

Ottmar Hitzfeld has stressed that Switzerland will not change their approach when they come up against Argentina in their World Cup second round tie and believes "anything is possible".

The South Americans are among the favourites to win this summer's tournament and will be expected to knock out the Swiss in Tuesday's last 16 clash in Sao Paulo.

Hitzfeld will end his illustrious coaching career when Switzerland's campaign comes to an end, but the German is not ready to go home just yet as he attempts to mastermind a famous win at the Arena de Sao Paulo.

And the 65-year-old has vowed to adopt the same tactics that have served him so well during his Switzerland tenure, adding that he believes his team can spring a surprise against Alejandro Sabella's men.

"We will remain true to our philosophy," he told the Swiss Football Association's website.

"That is, we want to build on our good organisation and compactness, accept duels and quickly switch from winning the ball in defence to attack.

"I am convinced that we have opportunities. We are the clear outsiders but we have nothing to lose and much to gain.

"We can make history on Tuesday. Each player has the chance of his personal history being accompanied by a large chapter. In one game, anything is possible."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Boateng has played his last game for Ghana, says Heldt

424861_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Jun 28, 2014 5:22:00 PM

The Schalke general manager believes the player will be motivated by the incident and does not think he will feature for the Black Stars again

Schalke general manager Horst Heldt believes Kevin-Prince Boateng will never play for Ghana again.

The midfielder was sent home from the World Cup before his team's final group match against Portugal along with Sulley Muntari for allegedly insulting coach Kwesi Appiah - a claim he denies.

And although Appiah has said the midfielder could return to the national team in the future, Heldt feels that Boateng has played his last game for Ghana as a result of the incident.

"We have seen at Schalke that he is as an absolute team player," he told Bild. "I can't imagine that he will run out for Ghana again.

"I am sure that this World Cup and the suspension will not burden him. Quite the contrary, anyone who knows Boateng knows that all this will motivate him more."

Ghana tumbled out of the World Cup prior to the knockout stages after losing to the USA and Portugal, despite a thrilling 2-2 draw with eventual group winners Germany.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Robben: Conditions will suit 'fearless' Mexico

427364_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jun 29, 2014 9:49:00 AM

The Netherlands forward believes that his side's last-16 opponents will have a definite advantage by playing in Brazil, but is confident following the Oranje's displays so far

Arjen Robben believes that Netherlands will need to be wary of Mexico, particularly as their opponents will be suited to the conditions in Fortaleza.

The Oranje have impressed so far after progressing as Group B winners with victory in all three games, including a shock 5-1 dismantling of Spain in their opening encounter.

However, Robben, who has scored three times in Brazil so far, insists that the Dutch should not dwell on their successes to date when they come up against Miguel Herrera's men on Sunday.

"They are dangerous opponents," the Bayern Munich attacker told the Times of India.

"Especially when the match is being played in Brazil, a country more familiar to them. They are fearless opponents and proved it against Brazil in their group league match [a 0-0 draw].

"It's really been an unbelievable start for us. Before the World Cup, if you had said to me that we shall win all the three matches of the group, I would have not have believed you! But that's football and we did almost everything right to qualify for the round of 16."

Robben, who missed a golden opportunity when one-on-one with Iker Casillas in the final of the 2010 World Cup which the Dutch lost 1-0 to Spain, also stressed that he was pleased to have gone some way to making amends in this edition of the tournament.

"This was a new beginning," he said of the 5-1 win over la Roja on June 13.

"We were not playing them in the final of the tournament, rather it was our first match. And we were behind them.

"Then we played a second half that was almost like a dream performance. As if, we could do whatever we wanted to. That was the most pleasing part of that performance.

"It was satisfying. My goal gave us the lead and we were unstoppable after that, scoring goals at will almost. Scoring five goals against the world champions is something we shall never be able to forget."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Costa Rica's collective brilliance the secret to World Cup success

427185_heroa.jpg

Jun 29, 2014 9:33:00 AM

ANALYSIS: The Central Americans surprised everyone by finishing top of a group consisting of Italy, Uruguay and England. But how have they done it?

By Ben Hayward in Belo Horizonte

Few gave them a prayer. Drawn in a group featuring three World Cup winners with seven titles between them, pretty much everyone expected Costa Rica to be heading home early from Brazil 2014. Everyone, that is, except the team itself.

Goalkeeper Keylor Navas' claim before the tournament that Italy, England and Uruguay were "three great teams fighting for one place" in Group D sounded far-fetched. It turned out to be spot on.

Costa Rica stunned Uruguay by coming from a goal down to beat the South Americans 3-1 in their opening match. Then they beat Italy 1-0 to seal a second-round spot before a goalless game against England saw them top the group and secure a last-16 meeting with Greece.

Win it and they will have made history, having never gone beyond the last 16 of a World Cup - an achievement los Ticos managed at Italia 90. So how have they done it?

Often overshadowed by traditional Concacaf powers Mexico and United States, Costa Rica finished second in World Cup qualifying behind USA to seal a spot at Brazil 2014, winning all five of their home matches, drawing three on the road and losing just twice.

Goalkeeper Navas was La Liga's finest shot-stopper last season and has popped up at crucial times in this tournament, making vital saves in the games against all three rivals in the group stages.

Ahead of him, the side's five-man back line allows Jorge Luis Pinto's men to defend in numbers and attack on the break, with Oscar Duarte, Giancarlo Gonzalez and Michael Umana all impressing in the centre of defence.

Cristian Gamboa and Junior Diaz both like to get forward from the wide positions as attacks begin from the flanks and the forwards link up wide, with Celso Borges and Yeltsin Tejeda working incredibly hard in midfield to track back and also initiate counterattacks from deep. The front three of Joel Campell, Bryan Ruiz and Christian Bolanos adds pace, power and finishing ability in a team in which everything is clicking.

Ruiz scored the winner against Italy, but said: "It's not about Bryan Ruiz. It's about the team, the collective. We all work hard for each other and it's a group effort."

Those thoughts were echoed by coach Pinto ahead of the game against England. "There are no secrets," he said. "We have worked on mental and emotional aspects. Our strength is in our togetherness and our unity."

Pinto, however, is a coach who leaves absolutely no stone unturned as he seeks improvement for his side. "I learned from watching Italy in five World Cups," he said last week. "I'm taking advantage of that now, for example with the zonal marking we use."

When they need to, Costa Rica defend with seven men in a colossal collective effort as the two midfielders drop deep to aid the five-man back line. At times, such as against Italy, they have switched to man-to-man marking as well, while their attack is all about exploiting spaces on the break and the midfield also looks to switch play when needed to shake off their rival markers.

It's extremely effective and with three world champions already out at their expense, Greece - and future rivals, if they advance - will do well not to underestimate this team that has surprised the world already.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

From World Cup villain to unsung hero – Nigel de Jong keeping Netherlands running

425537_heroa.jpg

Jun 29, 2014 9:03:00 AM

COMMENT: The holding midfielder was the bad guy for many after Holland’s loss against Spain in 2010, yet has been vital to the Dutch once more in this tournament

By Stefan Coerts in Brasilia

Even though Netherlands came incredibly close to winning the World Cup just four years ago, all the post- tournament talk was not about their narrow loss in the final against Spain, but about the way the Dutch had behaved in the showpiece in Johannesburg. Holland were found guilty of making a number of reckless challenges throughout the game - and Nigel de Jong’s kung-fu kick at Xabi Alonso’s chest in particular will be remembered for its viciousness.

Ever since, the combative midfielder has been associated with his tough-tackling style more than anything else. Forgotten is the fact that De Jong played a major role in his side’s path to the final with his leadership, his interceptions in midfield and his accurate passing. For any random fan, De Jong was the ‘thug’ who misbehaved and got away with it.

Fast-forward four years and De Jong is once more making a big impact at the World Cup, only this time he’s not making the headlines for his reckless tackling, but for his fine performances instead.

The attacking partnership of Arjen Robben and Robin van Persie – as well as supersub Memphis Depay – have been taking much of the plaudits in the past few weeks, while De Jong's contribution to the Oranje on their way to the round of 16 has been overlooked.

Admittedly, harrying opponents in midfield, making interceptions and winning tackles remains De Jong’s core business, but he’s been incredibly important in possession, too.

In his side's last-16 clash with Mexico, his all round game will be crucial for his side as they come up against the strong North American side. And Diego Maradona insisted he will be the key man in the clash, over Van Persie and Robben.

"I think De Jong will be asked to do the dirty job in the midfield," the Argentine icon said. "No matter how strong the attack is, one needs spoilers in the middle, and in this seasoned fighter, the Dutch have one."

Robben and Van Persie might have been the stars of the show in the spectacular 5-1 win over Spain on matchday one, yet is was De Jong who won 80 per cent of his duels and had a passing accuracy of 81.3% to help Oranje take the initiative after a difficult first half.

The AC Milan man then went on to impress against Australia in Holland’s hard-fought 3-2 victory, winning all of his three tackles as well as making two crucial clearances, while his passing accuracy was once more close to 80%. Finally, in the 2-0 win over Chile that saw Louis van Gaal’s men secure top spot in Group B, the former Ajax star had a passing accuracy of 82.3%.

429167_heroa.jpg

Desperation | Chile's Gary Medel struggled to come up with an answer to De Jong's energetic display

Even more than the 22 balls recovered by De Jong over the past three games - more than any other Dutch player - what catches the attention most is his calmness on the ball, with the holding midfielder rarely losing possession.

De Jong’s average passing accuracy of 81% beats that of the more creative Sneijder by eight percent, even if they have both had close to 100 passes so far this tournament. Normally, one would expect the Galatasaray man’s passing accuracy to be slightly lower than that of De Jong as he tends to take more risks with his creative passes, but just 10% of Sneijder’s passes were long – and thus risky - balls, against De Jong’s 21%.

It’s therefore fair to say De Jong is arguably Holland’s key figure in midfield - and not Sneijder or Jonathan de Guzman, who has featured for just 140 minutes.

Admittedly, Robben and Van Persie have been Oranje’s undisputed stars so far this tournament with their goals and breath-taking actions, yet one should not forget De Jong’s significant role in the Dutch’s success so far.

The 29-year-old became somewhat infamous in South Africa four years ago. But in Brazil, De Jong has proven to be much more than a midfield bully.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Netherlands 2-1 Mexico: Van Gaal's men seal dramatic comeback win in Fortaleza heat

430229_heroa.jpg

Jun 29, 2014 6:58:00 PM

The Netherlands staged a dramatic late comeback to win 2-1 and ensure that Mexico's FIFA World Cup last-16 hoodoo continued.

Leading 1-0 with two minutes remaining in Fortaleza on Sunday, Miguel Herrera's men stood on the verge of reaching the last eight of the tournament for the first time since 1986, having exited in the second round in each of the past five finals.

However, substitute Klaas-Jan Huntelaar played a leading role in turning the game on its head, setting up the equaliser for Wesley Sneijder in the 88th minute before converting a stoppage-time penalty after Rafael Marquez was adjudged to have brought down Arjen Robben.

It meant heartbreak for Mexico, who had taken the lead through Giovani dos Santos' fine strike three minutes after half-time, and for long periods it looked as though the Dutch were wilting in the scorching 38-degree (100 Fahrenheit) temperatures.

But Huntelaar, introduced in the 76th minute to replace Robin van Persie, headed Robben's corner into the path of Sneijder to rifle home.

The Schalke striker then sent Guillermo Ochoa the wrong way from the spot to seal Netherlands' passage to the quarter-finals and ensure Mexico's last-16 curse was extended.

Van Persie returned from a one-match ban and slotted straight back into Louis van Gaal's starting XI. Van Gaal was forced into a change in the ninth minute when Nigel de Jong was replaced by Bruno Martins Indi, although signs of any injury were unclear.

Mexico, who had Carlos Salcido back in place of the suspended Jose Juan Vazquez, had the first sight of goal in the 17th minute when Hector Herrera fired wide of the left-hand post from just inside the area following good work from Oribe Peralta.

Miguel Herrera's men felt they should have had a penalty shortly afterwards, but Ron Vlaar's high foot on Hector Herrera went unpunished by referee Pedro Proenca.

Salcido then tried his luck from 30 yards in the 24th minute, his rasping drive causing Jasper Cillessen to move to his right and parry the ball behind for a corner.

Van Persie had Netherlands' first half-chance three minutes later, bringing down a ball over the top before firing into the side netting from an acute angle with his weaker right foot.

Following the first of two cooling breaks in which the players took on fluids to combat the searing temperatures, Mexico went close again just before the interval, Dos Santos seeing his effort saved by the legs of Cillessen.

The Dutch were denied a penalty of their own in stoppage time, Robben going down under a challenge from Hector Moreno, but once again the match official waved play on, with the latter carried off on a stretcher following the incident.

Mexico made a flying start to the second period, Dos Santos lashing a bouncing ball into the bottom right-hand corner from 25 yards three minutes after the restart.

Peralta threatened a second eight minutes later, but Cillessen was equal to his curling effort from just outside the box.

Netherlands came close to an equaliser in the 58th minute, but Ochoa made a superb reaction stop from Stefan de Vrij, tipping the ball onto the post after the defender met Robben's corner four yards from goal.

Sneijder then saw his 18-yard strike deflect narrowly over the bar.

Ochoa was called into action again in the 74th minute, rushing from his line to deny Robben as the Bayern Munich man bore down on goal, while Vlaar headed the resulting corner over the bar from six yards.

Then came the late drama.

Sneijder thumped a low shot beyond a motionless Ochoa before Marquez's trip on Robben handed Huntelaar the chance to clinch victory and inflict further heartache on Mexico.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fifa grants drinks break in 38.8 degree Fortaleza furnace

430202_heroa.jpg

Jun 29, 2014 5:38:00 PM

The searing heat in Fortaleza meant the game's governing body implemented the drinks break ruling for the first time at the World Cup

By Robin Bairner in Fortaleza

Mexico's last-16 clash with the Netherlands in Fortaleza saw referee Pedro Proenca implement the first official cooling break of the 2014 World Cup.

With temperatures at Castelao soaring to 38.8 degrees Celsius at one point, it was decided that conditions were hot enough to merit a stoppage in play on the half-hour mark.

FIFA's stance on the issue has been that they will treat cases on a match-by-match basis, so in encounters such as Sunday's, when the temperature reaches an extreme level, there is a pause in play after around 30 minutes of action in each half.

The implementation of these measures lies with the discretion of the referee but come with the players' safety in mind.

Breaks last approximately three minutes, which are then added onto stoppage time at the end of the period.

It was not just the players who were having to cope with the fierce heat. Spectators were shunning the seats in the sun and moving towards the back of the stands to sit in shaded areas.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fifa investigate alleged assault on Pinilla

430057_heroa.jpg

Jun 29, 2014 4:42:00 PM

The governing body are looking into reports that a Brazil Football Confederation official threw a punch at the Chile striker

Fifa have opened an investigation into claims that the spokesman for the Brazil Football Confederation assaulted a Chile player during Saturday’s World Cup clash in Belo Horizonte.

Brazilian media reported on Sunday that Rodrigo Paiva threw a punch at Mauricio Pinilla at half-time. Paiva denies the claims although he did admit there had been an incident.

He told the Lance newspaper: “There was pushing between the two sides. That always happens when everyone comes together. It was not an isolated incident and I did not punch anyone. It happens a lot and it has happened in other games too.”

Fifa confirmed it was seeking further information on the matter. Spokeswoman Delia Fischer said: “There has been an incident and the disciplinary committee is currently analysing the matter.”

Brazil went on to win the game on penalties following a 1-1 draw after extra-time. They face Colombia in the quarter-finals in Fortaleza on Friday.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

France will deal with World Cup pressure - Schneiderlin

428974_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jun 29, 2014 12:17:00 PM

The midfielder is confident his side will not be overcome by the occasion as they look to build on their impressive group-stage displays in the knockout stages in Brazil

Morgan Schneiderlin feels France can happily accept the pressure of the World Cup latter stages as they prepare to face Nigeria on Monday.

Didier Deschamps' side have enjoyed a successful tournament so far, coming top of Group E with two wins and a draw, scoring eight goals.

Schneiderlin has now urged his team to stay in their "bubble" and be ready for what is sure to be growing pressure as they continue to stay in the tournament.

"We'll deal with the pressure step by step," the 24-year-old told a press conference.

"It's normal, because the closer you are to the final, the more pressure there is. We need to stay in our bubble now, we need to play each game like it's a final, and win it.

"Every team in the knockout phase wants to play the final and win the World Cup so we'll keep the spirit and play our game."

Schneiderlin, who has two senior caps for les Bleus, also said France would practice penalties in training, after seeing Brazil come through the first shootout of the World Cup, defeating Chile 3-2 on Saturday.

"Until now, we did not really train, just a quick run, so I can't tell you if we'll train penalties or not," he said.

"We'll try to avoid them because it's like Russian roulette, it's 50-50 during a penalty shootout, so we'll try to end the game before them.

"If we have to do it, we have got players able to shoot. We'll see if we practice penalties at the end of the training, I think we'll take a couple of minutes to do it. We have to be ready for everything."