• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ Serie A Season 2015-16 ★

Inler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Khedira nears Juventus return

27 September 2015 16:19

918229header.jpg

Juventus could welcome Sami Khedira back into the first team as the Germany international nears a full recovery following two months out with a thigh tear.

The Scudetto holders have endured a disappointing start to the new campaign, with Saturday's 2-1 defeat to Napoli leaving them languishing in 14th place in the Serie A standings.

A 2-1 win over Manchester City on matchday one of the Champions League provided a rare highlight, and they could have Khedira available for Wednesday's Group D meeting with Sevilla at Juventus Stadium.

The midfielder picked up the injury during a pre-season friendly with Marseille on August 1 and is yet to make a competitive appearance for the Turin giants.

On Sunday, Khedira returned to training alongside team-mates that did not travel for the meeting with Napoli.

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

I would pick Alexis Sanchez over Neymar, says Di Natale

28 September 2015 13:19

918685header.jpg

Udinese star Antonio Di Natale has stressed he would prefer Alexis Sanchez over Neymar if he had to choose between the Arsenal man and the Barcelona forward.

Neymar and Alexis played together at Barcelona in 2013-14 before the Catalans opted to cash in on the Chile international and bring in Luis Suarez from Liverpool.

Di Natale would have held on to his former team-mate, though, had he been in charge and has nothing but praise for the 26-year-old.

"Alexis and Neymar are both wonderful players, who play talismanic roles for top club sides," he said.

"When you're talking about players at that level, it's always difficult to say who's better. If I was a coach, I'd love to have both of them in my team.

"But if I had to choose one, I'd choose Alexis: because he's a little more 'concrete' than the Brazilian.

"Alexis is the best team-mate I had in my life. I've played with a lot of champions, but he is the best; and he's proven it by performing for enormous clubs such as Barcelona and Arsenal.

"It's quite easy to be a star in a little or medium team, where there is no pressure and where competition is far to be ferocious. But to confirm your individual qualities within the biggest teams is something only few can achieve."

Alexis netted 16 goals in 35 Premier League appearances for Arsenal last season, but initially struggled to get going this term, with his hat-trick in the 5-2 win over Leicester City at the weekend representing his first goals of 2015-16.

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Icardi: Inter must not lose spirit

28 September 2015 11:29

918633header.jpg

Inter captain Mauro Icardi has urged his team-mates not to lose morale after Sunday's 4-1 Serie A defeat at the hands of Fiorentina.

Roberto Mancini's men would have gone 13 points clear of reigning champions Juventus had they maintained their perfect record, yet they never looked like claiming their sixth league win of the season as Fiorentina went three goals up within 30 minutes.

Icardi sees no reason for pessimism, though, as Inter are still joint first in the table and he remains confident they can challenge for the Scudetto in 2015-16.

"Let’s not forget that we’re still joint top of the table. We have a really united, talented group here and we can’t lose spirit over this," Icardi told Inter's official website.

"We’re aiming high, the club has put in a great deal of investment to take Inter back to where it belongs.

"The early blows harmed us and it was hard to turn the result around after we went down to ten men.

"But this was just one match, let’s not make a big deal of it. We need to focus on our next game."

Inter resume Serie A action away against Sampdoria on October 4, with Juventus the next visitors to San Siro two weeks later.

Bacca

Alfrescian
Loyal

Napoli deny Higuain made comments about Ronaldo

27 September 2015 23:41

918481header.jpg

Napoli have released a statement denying striker Gonzalo Higuain made controversial comments about former Real Madrid team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Quotes emerged on Sunday of Higuain reportedly branding three-time Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo "over-rated" and egotistical in an apparent interview with Spanish magazine Don Balon.

However, Napoli insisted the Argentina international never made those comments.

"Napoli and Higuain categorically deny ever he has been granted an interview with 'Don Balon'," the statement read.

"Therefore the sentences attributed to Higuain are considered false and without any foundation."

Higuain, who played alongside Ronaldo at the Santiago Bernabeu before moving to Napoli in 2013, made headlines when he was quoted as saying: "He [Ronaldo] has a lot of ego.

"If you don't say he's the best, he's not your friend. Cristiano thinks he's the best but he's over-rated.

"I've shared a dressing room with Messi and one is nothing like the other."

Higuain scored in Napoli's 2-1 victory over struggling Serie A champions Juventus on Saturday.

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rossi takes wage cut at Fiorentina

30 September 2015 04:42

919722header.jpg

Fiorentina striker Giuseppe Rossi has accepted a wage cut with more incentives as he works his way back to top form, the Serie A club announced.

Rossi, who is out of contract at the end of the 2016-17 season - has been ravaged by knee injuries since moving to Florence in 2013, and only recently returned from a 15-month lay-off.

Serie A leaders Fiorentina have now moved to renegotiate Rossi's contract, with the Italy international's new deal including "altered economic terms, with a reduced fixed salary compensated by increased variables tied to appearances and goals".

The 28-year-old has started two matches for Fiorentina this season, with the former Manchester United frontman named on the bench in the other four games.

Cavani

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nesta: Mihajlovic will guide AC Milan back to the top

30 September 2015 16:28

919921header.jpg

Alessandro Nesta is confident AC Milan will soon return to the top under the guidance of Sinisa Mihajlovic.

The San Siro side have been struggling for consistency so far this season and currently sit 11th in the Serie A table with nine points from six games.

Nevertheless Nesta, who won two league titles and two Champions Leagues during his 10 years at the club, has little doubt they will come good once they gain greater consistency.

"Sinisa knew how to play football and Milan are a great opportunity for him," Nesta was quoted as saying on the official Milan website.

"Milan have changed a lot this year and they need to sort themselves out a little during the match and find some consistency.

"But I think the foundations are good and so are the players. They will be back at the top soon."

Nesta wore the Milan jersey between 2002 and 2012 and he has nothing but fond memories of his time with the Rossoneri.

"I have so many wonderful memories of my time at Milan. It was a long time and a very successful period," he said.

Podolski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schalke outcast Boateng returns to train with AC Milan

30 September 2015 18:18

919995header.jpg

Exiled Schalke midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng will train with AC Milan until the end of 2015, paving the way for the Ghana international to return to the Serie A club permanently.

Following May's 2-0 Bundesliga defeat at Cologne, Boateng and team-mate Sidney Sam were indefinitely suspended by Schalke.

A proposed August switch to Sporting Lisbon broke down due to a disagreement over Boateng's image rights but, having previously expressed his openness to playing for a club he represented between 2010 and 2013, the 28-year-old is back in training with Milan.

He is under contract at Schalke until the end of this season so would be unable to play competitively for Milan before January if coach Sinisa Mihajlovic pursues a formal transfer.

Boateng is expected to feature in friendly and reserve-team matches during his extended trial period.

A brief statement on Milan's official website on Wednesday read: "Kevin-Prince Boateng, from tomorrow until December 31, will train with the first team at Milanello."

Ghana international Boateng is the second controversial talent to return to Milanello under Mihajlovic's watch, with Mario Balotelli currently on a season-long loan at San Siro from Liverpool.

Inler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Criticism no problem for under-fire Felipe Anderson

30 September 2015 20:32

920071header.jpg

Under-fire Lazio winger Felipe Anderson insists he has been unaffected by recent criticism of his form.

After emerging as a standout performer for the Serie A club last season, scoring 10 goals and adding a further seven assists, the Brazil international has struggled to match those feats this term, failing to complete a full 90 minutes and scoring only one goal thus far.

The 22-year-old, however, claims he has been untroubled by the criticism directed towards him from sections of both the media and the club's fan base.

"It's normal in football, when everyone expects a lot from you, they criticise a lot," he said. "Of course, we're at the beginning and no-one is happy.

"That's football, if you do well you're the best, the next day you're not.

"I've never felt that I'm the best, I worked well with the team, and everyone got goals. I'm an important player who can make a difference, but I never thought like that."

And the man who was strongly linked with a £22million summer move to Manchester United went on to stress his intention to work his way back to top form.

"I am like everyone else in side, though, I have to work and run for the team," he said. "I think opponents know me better this season which makes things for me more difficult.

"I know I have to do better, I have to work in order to improve."

Felipe Anderson is expected to feature for Lazio when they take on Saint-Etienne in the Europa League on Thursday.

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rossi has shown his love for Fiorentina - agent

30 September 2015 07:40

919738header.jpg

Giuseppe Rossi has shown his love and loyalty for Fiorentina after accepting a reduced salary, according to his agent Andrea Pastorello.

Injury-plagued striker Rossi, who only recently returned from a 15-month lay-off, agreed to reduce his wage with more incentives on Tuesday as he works his way back to top form and fitness.

The Italy international's contract will still expire at the end of the 2016-17 season.

Rossi's time in Florence has been decimated by injuries since arriving in 2013 and Pastorello told Viola News: "In light of an understandable request on the part of the club, Rossi has shown his firm attachment to the club and the fans with a very unusual gesture in the current football landscape.

"It's of great value, both financially and symbolically. This is particularly true, as it doesn't affect the expiry in 2017, and his wage has been lowered by more than what we've read.

"Unlike what some have mistakenly thought and written, Rossi will not receive a Euro more than the expected wage that he had.

"Now we're just thinking about playing, and about Florence enjoying this moment [with Fiorentina top of Serie A]."

Rossi has started two matches for Fiorentina this season, with the 28-year-old named on the bench in the other four games.

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

No room for errors – Fiorentina coach Sousa

30 September 2015 20:56

920075header.jpg

Paulo Sousa has warned his Fiorentina side of the pressure that comes with being top of Serie A as he switches their focus to the Europa League.

A 4-1 win over Inter catapulted Sousa's men to the summit of the domestic standings, but the Fiorentina coach must prepare his side for the trip to face Portuguese side Belenenses in a game he believes they cannot afford to lose.

Fiorentina entertain Atalanta in Serie A just three days after their trip to Lisbon, but Sousa is intent on ensuring his side make amends for the 2-1 defeat at home to Basel in their first game in Group I.

"How do we feel on top of the table? We have more responsibility, but it is very important to remain concentrated, because otherwise you won't improve and in fact will be torn down," said Sousa.

"Without a doubt, the match against Belenenses is more important than the Atalanta match.

"We must be aware of what it means to have lost the first game, and come out focused on bringing home the three points.

"We must always respect our principles of football, because we want to control the game in order to reach victory, seeing as we didn't start the Europa League on the right foot. My team is going through a general period of growth."

Sousa will be reunited in Lisbon with former Portugal teammate and current Belenenses coach Ricardo Sa Pinto.

He said: “Obviously I am immensely happy to meet up with a friend like Sa Pinto again. I am pleased he’s getting positive results. It is also special for me to come back home to Portugal and experience a Portuguese stadium atmosphere again.

"In their history Belenenses have always had some difficulties, but were able to overcome them with great results. The statistics show they are as organised and gritty as their coach.

"Anywhere I go to work, I try to stay true to myself and those values that are important to me. That goes from quality of work to efficiency. They are all important. I believe that the humility and strength of every individual player allow us to go forward with heads held high as a team."

Sousa added that Facundo Roncaglia will face a late fitness test ahead of the game, and that Giuseppe Rossi has "a very good chance" of being in the starting lineup.

Bacca

Alfrescian
Loyal

I believe in what I do - Allegri

30 September 2015 23:41

920202header.jpg

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri says he has ignored the criticism levelled at him in recent weeks after his side beat Sevilla 2-0 in the Champions League.

The Italian champions have just one win under their belt in this season's Serie A campaign, and Allegri has come under fire from sections of the club's support.

But back-to-back victories in the Champions League have given Allegri some respite, and he hit back at his critics after goals from Alvaro Morata and Simone Zaza saw off Sevilla in Turin.

"I have no stone in my shoe," he said. "I believe in what I do; why should I worry?

"Over the past five years at Juventus and AC Milan I got good results, thanks to the players.

"Tonight was the first step of a team that has to play at great levels. I was very happy with these guys, who want to grow and manage the game. You have to have the strength to hold the game, otherwise you may lose."

Allegri was in dire need of a positive result after Juve's 2-1 defeat at Napoli in their previous game in the league, and he will hope the win against Sevilla will give his side a boost ahead of the visit of Bologna in Serie A.

"The lads put in a good performance, tactically, technically and defensively. We had a very young attack with little international experience.

"Hernanes had a good game after all the criticism of his performance at Napoli.

"Sevilla are a very solid team and dangerous in attack, but when the lads are open to working hard and sacrificing themselves for the team, we can do well.

"Against Napoli we got it wrong technically, making many errors to allow lots of counter-attacks. Even then, towards the end we were still in the running for an equaliser.

"If you keep the ball it is easier to play, attack and defend. We still have to improve this aspect, but it is getting better."

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Callejon inspired by Europa League heartbreak

1 October 2015

920460header.jpg

Jose Callejon revealed Napoli are determined to go all the way in this season's Europa League following their semi-final heartbreak last term.

Rafael Benitez's side reached the last four in 2014-15 only to be beaten by Dnipro, who went on to lose the final to Sevilla.

Napoli thrashed Club Brugge 5-0 in their opening group game of this season's tournament and, as they prepare to visit Legia Warsaw, Callejon admitted he is desperate to make amends for last season by reaching the final in Basel.

"Last year we went so close to reaching the Europa League final, which is why it means a lot to us to do even better this time round," the 28-year-old said.

"We put in a great performance against Club Brugge and we hope to do well against Legia. It's easier for us to be fired up for the bigger fixtures, so we have to improve for the so-called smaller ones.

"It will be tough, but we want to win and we have to win."

Head coach Maurizio Sarri explained that a handful of star names will need to be rested for the trip to Poland given they must travel to face AC Milan in Serie A on Sunday.

"Obviously there will be many changes - it is physically necessary when there are so many games," said Sarri.

"Lorenzo Insigne has to get back to 100 per cent fitness after that knee injury, Marek Hamsik was called up on international duty too, so he needs to rest. Elseid Hysaj was not at his best after the Juventus game.

"Everyone who is here needs to be ready to play. Our opponents are very dangerous, especially on home turf. It will be a real tough test."

Cavani

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inter captaincy hasn´t changed me, insists Icardi

1 October 2015

920712header.jpg

Mauro Icardi insists he does not feel any extra pressure on his shoulders now that he is captain of Inter.

The striker was handed the armband by manager Roberto Mancini before the start of the 2015-16 season, despite only being 22 years old.

Icardi, who signed a new long-term contract with the club in the off-season, believes he has the full backing of his team-mates after taking over the role from defender Andrea Ranocchia.

"Nothing has changed for me since becoming Inter captain," Icardi told El Grafico magazine.

"I'm just continuing to live the same way as I always have.

"The decision to make me captain was made by Mancini with the consent of the whole club and, of course, I had the approval of the rest of the squad.

"It would be false of me to claim that I have changed now as a result of the responsibility. People like to talk about me and I have a certain reputation that the media plays up on.

"But the people who say these things don't know me. The image created by the media is completely different to how I am as a person."

Icardi scored 22 goals in Serie A last season, though his fine form in front of goal was not enough to see him add to his solitary cap for Argentina.

His only international appearance, which came in a World Cup qualifier against Uruguay in 2013, ruled out any possibility of him playing for Italy.

However, the Rosario-born forward admits switching nationalities was never something he had considered.

"There will be plenty of chances for me as I’m still young," he said when asked about his Argentina career.

"I was happy with the interest from Italy but I'm Argentine, and always said I wanted to play for Argentina."

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Balotelli and Honda doubtful for Napoli clash

1 October 2015

920744header.jpg

AC Milan pair Mario Balotelli and Keisuke Honda both appear to be doubts for Sunday's Serie A clash with Napoli.

Striker Balotelli has a groin muscle strain while attacking midfielder Honda is struggling with the flu.

Neither player trained with the team on Thursday, with Balotelli likely o continue working individually on Friday.

A statement on Milan's official website read: "For Keisuke Honda, the Japanese midfielder didn't train with his team-mates after coming down with the flu.

"Mario Balotelli was also in the gym on Thursday and worked apart from the rest of the squad.

"On Friday, it will be decided whether the forward will continue to work in the gym, which is looking likely, or whether to join up with the rest of the squad."

Milan are level on nine points with Napoli in the Serie A heading into the game at San Siro.

Inler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dzeko, Salah join Roma permanently

2 October 2015

920926header.jpg

Roma have revealed deals for Edin Dzeko and Mohamed Salah have been made permanent.

A financial statement published on Thursday confirmed loanees Dzeko and Salah will remain in the Italian capital beyond the 2015-16 Serie A season.

Dzeko and Salah joined Roma on season-long loans from Premier League duo Manchester City and Chelsea respectively.

"These players were first signed on a temporary basis, which has been transformed into definitive transfers after planned contractual conditions were met," read a Roma statement, which also revealed a permanent deal for Genoa winger Iago Falque.

Dzeko, who is sidelined with a twisted knee, has scored once since arriving in Rome, while team-mate Salah has bagged three goals.

Inler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lichtsteiner faces a month out after heart surgery

2 October 2015

921192header.jpg

Juventus have confirmed that defender Stephan Lichtsteiner will be out for approximately a month after undergoing heart surgery.

The 31-year-old was hospitalised after complaining of breathing difficulties in the 1-1 Serie A draw with Frosinone on September 23.

Lichtsteiner returned to training at the beginning of this week but was subsequently forced to miss the Champions League win over Sevilla as Juve conducted further tests to identify the cause of the issue.

The Italian champions have now confirmed the Switzerland international has undergone a successful operation and will be sidelined for the next 30 days.

"During last week's match with Frosinone Stephan Lichtsteiner suffered breathing difficulties due to a benign cardiac arrhythmia (atrial flutter) which later stopped of its own accord," a statement released by the club read.

"Tests and specialist consultancy conducted over the following days suggested surgery to be the best course of action for the defender.

"Dr. Gaita today performed a cardiac ablation operation and Lichtsteiner is expected to return to competitive action within 30 days."

Juve, who are at home to Bologna in Serie A on Sunday, will hope to have Lichtsteiner back for the Champions League meeting with Borussia Monchengladbach on November 3.

Marchisio

Alfrescian
Loyal

Buffon Ballon d´Or omission blasted by agent

2 October 2015

921278header.jpg

Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon's omission from the FIFA Ballon d'Or 59-man shortlist has been heavily criticised by his agent.

The official document is not due to be released until next week, but a leaked shortlist for the prestigious award emerged on Friday, with Buffon's name conspicuous by its absence.

Buffon enjoyed another superb season with Juve in 2014-15 as he helped the Turin club to the double of Serie A and Coppa Italia as well as the Champions League final.

The 37-year-old has already proven his value this campaign, producing an instrumental performance in their 2-1 Champions League win at Manchester City last month.

And Buffon's representative Silvano Martina told Tuttomercatoweb: "What he [Buffon] has done and is doing is plain for everyone to see.

"I don't know if he'd win, so it still doesn't have much meaning, but when you look at some of the names on there, the fact that Gianluigi isn't among them speaks for itself.

"If you can find a goalkeeper who did better that he did in all competitions last season then..."

Lev Yashin is the only goalkeeper to win the honour, doing so in 1963.

Bacca

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus v Bologna: Dybala eyes Scudetto spark

2 October 2015

921182header.jpg

Paulo Dybala has seen enough from Juventus' Champions League exploits to suggest a fifth consecutive Serie A title is not out of their reach, despite a woeful start to the season, with a fine chance to kickstart the Scudetto hunt arriving with Bologna in Turin on Sunday.

A solitary win from Juve's first six games has done little to suggest that Italy's dominant team of the past four seasons will be able to recapture their former glories, but Massimiliano Allegri's new-look squad has impressed on the continent.

Victories over Manchester City and Sevilla have left Juve top of a hotly contested Champions League group and a run of one defeat in 25 league fixtures against Sunday's opponents will be further cause for optimism.

Former Palermo forward Dybala has not seen much difference in the side's performances in domestic and continental action, so expects a title challenge to remain at the forefront of their ambitions.

He told Premium Sport: "I do not think that there is a difference in performance [from Serie A and the Champions League].

"In Europe, teams play more open and allow more space. In Serie A, all teams are closed. Against Frosinone [a 1-1 home draw] we gave away the ball and they scored.

"It [the Scudetto] is still a possible target because we are Juventus and we always fight to win. We did not start well but we will fight until the end."

Dybala has only started in four of his eight Juve appearances since joining from Palermo in pre-season, but is the champions' top scorer with three goals in all competitions.

He added: "I played a good game against Sevilla, but I also played well in the Super Cup against Lazio when I came on.

"I fought together with the team until the end and settled on the pitch very well."

Summer signing Sami Khedira made his debut against Sevilla in midweek, boosting a Juve midfield that is still searching for its best form since being shorn of Arturo Vidal and Andrea Pirlo, as well as injury victim Claudio Marchisio, although the latter is reportedly in line for a return this weekend.

Stephan Lichtsteiner is sidelined by a respiratory illness, although Chelsea loanee Juan Cuadrado has impressed in his place on the right flank. Martin Caceres has been suspended by the club after being caught drink-driving this week and Mario Mandzukic remains out with a thigh injury.

Former Juve winger Emanuele Giaccherini will not return to Juventus Stadium this weekend, as Bologna's on-loan Sunderland man has a thigh problem.

It is another headache for Delio Rossi, with Bologna having lost five of their six games this term. High-profile summer signing Mattia Destro is yet to find the net since arriving, but Rossi insisted this week that the Italy international "is not the problem".

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sampdoria v Inter: Biabiany hoping to make immediate impact

2 October 2015

921416header.jpg

Inter winger Jonathan Biabiany is determined to make up for lost time and help Roberto Mancini's side bounce back from their loss against Fiorentina by beating his former club Sampdoria at the Luigi Ferraris.

Biabiany, now in his third spell at Inter, missed all of last season after it was discovered that he had an irregular heartbeat during a medical with city rivals Milan.

The Frenchman finally returned to action on September 24, coming on as a substitute in Inter's 1-0 win over Verona.

That victory was Inter's fifth of the season, but their winning start was brought to an abrupt halt by Fiorentina at San Siro last Sunday – Paulo Sousa's men moving up to top spot in Serie A with a comprehensive 4-1 triumph.

Despite beating Roma in their previous home fixture, ninth-placed Sampdoria failed to garner any momentum as they lost to Atalanta last time out.

And Biabiany, who joined the Genoese club from Inter in 2011 before moving to Parma just six months later, is confident that Inter can return to winning ways on Sunday.

"Getting back into action as soon as possible would make me really happy. The aim is to finish as high as possible and achieve success," he told Inter's website.

"It wasn't a great game against Fiorentina but it was just one match. There are still plenty to go. We dropped three points but we can make them up on Sunday.

"When I joined, I knew I would have to be patient and follow a programme. I didn't think I'd be back so soon and it's great to be available for selection."

Inter will be without Miranda for Sunday's match, the Brazil defender is suspended after seeing red against Fiorentina, while Stevan Jovetic is likely to miss out with a hamstring injury.

Another Inter man facing his former club, Mauro Icardi, will be looking to kick-start his season after been named as the new club captain – the Argentine having netted just twice so far this term.

Sampdoria claimed their first win over Inter in 10 attempts in the corresponding fixture last season, and defender Ervin Zukanovic has claimed Walter Zenga's men must be at their best to repeat that feat.

"Inter are a team whose players can hurt us at any moment of the match," Zukanovic told SampTV. "But for our own part, we're driven by the desire to overcome the defeat against Atalanta."

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Milan v Napoli: Antonelli calls on improvement in attack

2 October 2015

921420header.jpg

Luca Antonelli says Milan must improve in attack if they are recapture their best form in Sunday's Serie A clash with Napoli.

Maurizio Sarri's in-form Napoli side are unbeaten in seven fixtures across all competitions, and travel to San Siro on the back of consecutive wins against Juventus and Legia Warsaw.

Sinisa Mihajlovic suffered his third defeat as Milan boss last time out, former Napoli man Blerim Dzemaili securing victory for Genoa at the Luigi Ferraris.

However, Milan had triumphed in their previous two matches prior to that defeat, and Antonelli, who has now returned to the Milan fold following a month out injured, has insisted that the side are on the cusp of hitting peak form.

"Napoli are a strong team in really good form. It's going to be tough," he told Milan's official website.

"But we are a good team as well. We just need to improve in the final third and we will be winning games easily, because we create lots of chances.

"We have to show Napoli respect because of how well they are playing, but that does not mean that we have to play a different game to how we know we can play.

"Personally, it is always a special match. I scored my first Serie A goal against Napoli at the San Paolo, it was a great feeling for me. Hopefully I can do it again on Sunday."

After a sluggish start to the campaign, Napoli are beginning to come good under Sarri, and were deserved winners against defending champions Juventus last week.

Gonzalo Higuain put in a superb display in that victory, scoring one and assisting another, and the Argentina striker moved his tally for the season up to six with a stunning goal in the 2-0 Europa League win over Legia.

Dries Mertens netted Napoli's opener in Thursday's win, and the diminutive winger is hoping to capitalise on the likely absence of Lorenzo Insigne (knee), with another strong performance this weekend.

"We are very happy with the game and the result [against Legia], and for me I am pleased with my goal and how I played," Mertens told Napoli's official website.

"We know that we can win more and more if we keep up this intensity. We have to continue like this and I will try to give my best in Milan on Sunday. We have to continue the race in the championship."