• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ La Liga Season 2015-16 ★

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juninho: Neymar must not focus on replacing Messi

neymar-cropped_ynloohqh38c91sews4expnoyq.jpg

By Tom Webber
Oct 5, 2015 15:03:00

The former Lyon midfielder has warned his fellow Brazilian not to exert too much energy into trying to replace injured Barcelona star Lionel Messi

Neymar should not put pressure on himself to fill the void left at Barcelona by Lionel Messi's injury, according to former Brazil international Juninho Pernambucano.

The Argentine was ruled out for two months with a knee injury in September, missing the Champions League win over Bayer Leverkusen and the Liga defeat to Sevilla on Saturday.

But the former Lyon midfielder does not believe it should be solely down to Neymar to minimise the impact of Messi's absence at Camp Nou.

"Neymar's thoughts should not be: 'I am going to replace Messi, I'm going to get the ball, score all the goals and make everything happen'," Juninho told Globo.

"It cannot be like this, but he has to take the initiative and know that Messi is not on the field and he maybe has to take the lead.

"With the Argentine absent, he may have to do this."

While Juninho accepts that Neymar is comfortable with the responsibility required to lead a big team through his experience as captain of Brazil, he believes that the situation at club level is different.

"Even with the increased pressure it is not something that Neymar is not used to," he added.

"At Santos he was always the centre of attention, and with the Brazilian national team.

"What will be harder, to lead the five-time world champions or the Spanish and European champions?

"I think that in Barcelona it is more difficult. In Brazil, he knows that he is already the leader of the team by what he does on the pitch and due to the absence of other players of his level.

"Therefore, I think that with Brazil it is easier and our need today causes us to have more patience with him.

"Nothing is easy - neither in the Selecao nor at Barcelona. The Brazilian national team is the best known in the world and Barcelona is the best club in the world.

"And when they lose their best player it is also difficult."

Neymar will miss Brazil's first two World Cup 2018 qualifying fixtures against Chile and Venezuela as he serves the remaining two games of a suspension carried over from this year's Copa America.

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Carvajal out for Spain with ankle injury

danicarvajal-cropped_8xk2d2zh5xcf1enxss27lyhcp.jpg

Oct 5, 2015 16:30:20

The defender hobbled off during Sunday's derby against Atletico and could face up to three weeks on the sidelines, which would rule him out against Luxembourg and Ukraine

Real Madrid right-back Dani Carvajal is set to miss Spain's forthcoming Euro 2016 qualifiers after his club confirmed he has suffered an ankle injury.

Carvajal sustained the problem in Sunday's derby against Atletico Madrid, making way to be replaced by Alvaro Arbeloa before half-time having set up Karim Benzema's opening goal in the 1-1 draw.

In a brief statement released on their official website on Monday, Real announced that Carvajal "has been diagnosed with an injury to the peroneal tendons in his right ankle".

The length of time he will spend on the sidelines was not disclosed, pending further assessment of the injury, although AS reported that Carvajal faces an absence of between two to three weeks.

National team coach Vicente del Bosque could seek to call up defensive cover following the news that Real Sociedad centre-back Inigo Martinez is also out with a muscle injury.

Reigning European champions Spain are expected to confirm their their place at Euro 2016 with victory over Luxembourg on Friday before travelling to Ukraine in their final qualifier.

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Torres defends Benitez over 'defensive' jibes

rafael-benitez-cropped_1fh3ykfgs42no1mjqbd625fdb1.jpg

By Joe Wright
Oct 6, 2015 20:53:00

The Real Madrid coach has been criticised for being too defensive at his new club, but Fernando Torres insists he will come good in the Spanish capital

Fernando Torres has jumped to the defence of Real Madrid boss Rafael Benitez over criticism of his team's style of play this season.

Benitez has been dubbed 'too defensive' by some sections of the Spanish media after his side tried and failed to hang on to a 1-0 lead against Atletico Madrid at the weekend.

But Torres, who enjoyed the best form of his career under the 55-year-old at Liverpool, has little doubt Benitez will bring success to the Santiago Bernabeu.

"Benitez is not defensive. He's a great coach and, if you give him time, the results will come," he said at a sponsor event, as quoted by Marca.

Torres went on to admit that Atletico believe they should have won the derby last Sunday after Luciano Vietto's 83rd-minute equaliser.

"The feeling is that we lost two points in the derby. But I don't know if 10 more minutes would've been good or bad for us because they were launching some good counters," he added.

"The point helps us to keep going and stay positive. Madrid stayed back because we forced them."

The 31-year-old's contract at the Vicente Calderon is due to expire next June, but he has made it clear he wants to stay to win trophies under Diego Simeone.

"It's no secret that I want to continue with Atletico. If they think the same, everything will be easy. It's where I want to be," he added. "My dream is to celebrate a title with Atletico.

"To have the confidence of the coach regardless of results is something amazing. I respect Cholo 100 percent."

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramos questions Benitez's substitutions in the Madrid derby

sergio-ramos-rafael-benitez-real-madrid_18mli3m3txo24zgylpe0ikmj8.jpg

By Sam Marsden
Oct 6, 2015 19:39:03

The Spanish defender has replied to criticism from his manager by saying the changes made in the second half against Atletico Madrid should be talked about

Sergio Ramos has questioned the substitutions made by Rafa Benitez during Real Madrid’s 1-1 draw with Atletico Madrid on Sunday night.

The Madrid coach decided to take off Isco and Karim Benzema in the second half with his side in the lead, only for Luciano Vietto to grab a late equaliser for Atletico at the Vicente Calderon.

Benitez has since criticised Ramos in a radio interview on Monday for giving away a penalty in the first half — even though it was missed by Antoine Griezmann.

Asked by reporters at Spain’s training base on Tuesday about his manager’s comments, Ramos gave a stinging reply.

“I’d hope that anything he has to say he will say when we next see each other,” the defender responded in reference to Benitez revealing he was “angry” at the manner in which the spot kick was given away.

“It was a disappointing mistake, but I won’t lose any sleep over it. I’m not worried about it because we all make mistakes and nobody makes them on purpose.

“Thankfully Keylor [Navas] saved the penalty and it didn’t influence the final result. But just as people talk about the mistake I made, they will also talk about [Benitez’s] substitutions.”

The decision to take Benzema, who scored the opening goal in the Madrid derby, has been in the spotlight this week.

After the game, the Frenchman responded to reporters by telling them to “ask the manager” when they questioned him on why he’s always the player who is substituted.

However, Benitez has since put out that fire by praising the 27-year-old forward’s ability and joking that if he doesn’t want to be taken off so frequently “he should score two goals a game.”

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona defend Messi over fraud charges

messi_gxkx949lyufw1xmvhh102lj9o.jpg

By Daniel Edwards
Oct 8, 2015 23:29:28

The club have reacted angrily after learning that their star man will face trial over alleged tax offences

Barcelona have released a statement defending Lionel Messi following the news their star man will stand trial over allegations of tax fraud.

The 28-year-old had appeared to be in the clear over accusations dating back between 2007 and 2009, after the Prosecutor's Office recommend pursuing charges solely against father Jorge.

The State Attorney, however, disregarded that instruction and will seek 22 months in prison for Messi.

"The club is shocked by the difference in opinion between the Prosecutor's Office, which on September 25 decided not to charge Messi on fiscal crimes, and the views expressed today by the State Attorney which state exactly the opposite," a statement released on Thursday by Barcelona explained.

"FC Barcelona express solidarity and affection towards Lionel Messi and his family in such an unusual situation. The club will continue to give him all its help and support in legal, fiscal and administrative matter during the trial.

The Catalans signed off the short missive with a stinging condemnation of the judicial process.

"Barcelona reject the accumulation of outside decisions, completely inadmissable and which started a long time ago, and which are unrelated to sporting matters," the statement fired.

"They damage the club's good standing, its stability as well as that of the sportsmen which belong to it. The club will continue to work firmer than ever to defend its rights and to be prepared for any new challenges that may arrive."

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

James talks down Benitez, Ramos rift

10 October 2015 13:42

925855header.jpg

Real Madrid midfielder James Rodriguez has played down suggestions Sergio Ramos has fallen out with head coach Rafa Benitez.

The Madrid coach publicly criticised Ramos for giving away a penalty in the 1-1 La Liga draw with Atletico Madrid on Sunday, prompting the centre-back to question Benitez's second-half substitutions in return.

James has subsequently claimed there is no tension between the two and is adamant the atmosphere at the Santiago Bernabeu is a pleasant one.

"I don't know what happened between Ramos and Benitez," the Colombia international was quoted as saying by Marca.

"All I can say is that there is always a good atmosphere at the club."

James is recovering from a thigh injury, but he is hopeful he will soon be ready to make his comeback.

"The recovery is going well," he added.

"I don't know if I'll be available for the next game, though. I'm still a little way off."

The 24-year-old has made just two appearances for Madrid so far this term due to his fitness problems, scoring twice in the process.

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Soldado reveals reasons behind Tottenham failure

10 October 2015 16:25

925933header.jpg

Roberto Soldado says he was unable to recover his best form at Tottenham once Andre Villas-Boas left White Hart Lane.

The 29-year-old joined Spurs from Valencia for a fee believed to be £26million in August 2013, but the Spain international failed to hit the form he showed in La Liga and moved to Villarreal in August.

Soldado has now claimed the sacking of Villas-Boas, who brought him to White Hart Lane, in December 2013 proved to be the tipping point for his time in England.

"I went there with excitement and enthusiasm, thinking that the Premier League offered the perfect football for me," he is quoted by AS.

"But it was the opposite. After the departure of Villas-Boas, who was the one who signed me, everything was turned upside down.

"I lost confidence and I had a hard time. But now I think the experience has helped me appreciate and enjoy my life more."

Soldado has already scored twice and registered three assists in just six Liga games for Villarreal, who surprisingly top the table after seven rounds of matches, and the forward admits the change in environment has helped recapture his enjoyment of the game.

"After two years in England, the goal was for me to enjoy myself again," he said. "We've only just started, but I'm having a lot of fun.

"It's vital to be happy in what you do, no question."

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bale doing a fine job coping with pressure at Real Madrid - Beckham

11 October 2015 10:13

926362header.jpg

Former Real Madrid midfielder David Beckham has hailed Gareth Bale for the way he has been coping with the pressure at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The Wales international joined Madrid from Tottenham in September 2013 and impressed in his first season at the club.

However, he received his fair share of criticism last term and Beckham is impressed with the way Bale has managed to hold his own in the Spanish capital.

"I got to know Gareth when I trained at Tottenham a few years ago – and he’s a fantastic guy with so much talent," Beckham told the Daily Star.

"I wasn't surprised when Real Madrid signed him for the amount they did. But, obviously, with that comes a lot of pressure.

"And when you are at Real Madrid, whether you sign for £1million or £100m, there is always pressure on you to perform.

"In his first season Gareth won the Champions League and scored in the final – that was unbelievable for him.

"But for me it is now that Gareth is showing why he is such a great character."

Bale, who recently returned to the pitch after a calf problem, has netted twice in five appearances in all competitions for Madrid in 2015-16.

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neymar: Messi, Suarez and I silenced critics

11 October 2015 12:29

926411header.jpg

Barcelona attacker Neymar feels Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and himself have silenced critics who claimed the three were not compatible.

A number of former players and pundits questioned Barcelona's decision to bring in Suarez after the 2014 World Cup as they felt the Uruguay international did not fit the Catalans' style and could not play in the same team as Neymar and Messi.

However, Barcelona's attacking trident - nicknamed MSN - impressed in 2014-15, scoring a combined 122 goals in all competitions as Barcelona won the Champions League, La Liga and Copa del Rey and Neymar believes they have proved their doubters wrong.

"Some said we wouldn't get along well, but I knew they were wrong," Neymar told the official Barcelona website.

"I think we surprised everyone. Before I came to Barcelona, they said I would be fighting with Leo and with other players as well.

"I knew that was not going to happen because those sort of things don't affect me.

"Messi has helped me a lot since I joined Barcelona.

"And we have a friendship both on and off the pitch with Suarez. We are really happy with how things are going on the pitch."

ToniKroos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sunday October 11 2015

Barca in centre-back hunt?

stones-everton490epa_0.jpg

By Football Espana staff

Barcelona are reportedly looking to revamp their centre-back options with one of Aymeric Laporte, Marquinhos, Jose Maria Gimenez and John Stones.

According to Mundo Deportivo, sporting director Robert Fernandez believes La Blaugrana’s backline needs freshening up with the future in mind.

Although Gerard Pique and Javier Mascherano remain Barca’s first-choice partnership, with Marc Bartra, Jeremy Mathieu and Thomas Vermaelen on standby, the Argentine is now 31 and has not yet abandoned hopes of returning to midfield.

Elsewhere, Marc Bartra is expected to reassess his future next summer if he continues to play second-fiddle behind Pique and Mascherano, while Jeremy Mathieu’s performances and Thomas Vermaelen’s long-term fitness have come under scrutiny.

Consequently, Robert has assembled four defensive targets between the ages of 20 and 21, whom he feels can lead the club into the next decade.

The first name on his shortlist is Laporte, who has already played over 100 games for Athletic Bilbao but would likely warrant a sizeable transfer fee, given he recently signed a new contract with a €50m release clause and holds Basque status.

Next up is Gimenez, who has been regarded as the new Diego Godin for his strength and composure and always stood up well to Barca’s attack.

The Uruguayan is understood to have a low release clause, set at €24m, and reportedly attracted Manchester United’s advances this summer.

Further down the list are Marquinhos, who MD claim is “the perfect candidate but impossible dream” after two previously-failed bids to lure him away from Paris Saint-Germain, and Everton’s John Stones, although British players have historically struggled at Camp Nou.

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo: I want another six years at Real Madrid

14 October 2015

928204header.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo has underlined his intention to retire at Real Madrid – but he insists he can keep playing for at least another five years.

The 30-year-old was awarded the fourth European Golden Shoe of his career on Tuesday after scoring 48 league goals last season, placing him ahead of Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Manchester City's Sergio Aguero.

Ronaldo has been linked with a move to French champions Paris Saint-Germain should he opt to call time on his spell in the Spanish capital, but the former Manchester United star has no such plans.

"Since I came here I've had to think big because Madrid is the biggest club in the world. It's a beautiful moment in my sporting life. To win four Golden Boots is a great honour," he told Marca.

"I want to say thanks to my team-mates because without them I wouldn't have the chance to win it. The physios, too – they help me stay strong physically throughout the season and they work well for me and for Real Madrid.

"I want to win more, I still feel good, I feel young. I'm 30 and I want to play for five or six more years and in these years I want to do things well and try to keep my level from the last few seasons.

"I know it'll be more difficult every time, but in my head I think it's possible. I want to win and I'm at the best club in the world. I have a contract until I'm 33 and as I've said many times, my dream is to finish here at Real Madrid because I feel good, I feel useful, and I want to keep going.

"I always look for more. I wan the fifth Boot, the sixth... Madrid have to win all the time and this year won't be any different. We want to win the league, the Champions League and the cup."

Ronaldo is eager to land more goalscoring prizes in the coming seasons but has warned that the race for the Golden Shoe will not simply be contested by himself and Messi.

"I thought of winning one, two, but not four. But sometimes you get into a sequence. This last time, for instance, I started scoring goals in the first few games and thought: 'Okay, it's going well, I'll carry on'," he explained.

"There are many great forwards in Europe, in England, in Germany... [Wayne] Rooney, Aguero, [Robert] Lewandowski, Neymar, [Karim] Benzema is also great, Luis Suarez is another. There are great players and I feel privileged to have won four times. But I want to keep winning more."

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramos back in Madrid training ahead of Levante clash

14 October 2015

928545header.jpg

Sergio Ramos has returned to training with Real Madrid after missing Spain's last two Euro 2016 qualifiers with a shoulder injury.

Ramos dislocated his shoulder in Madrid's 4-0 Champions League win over Shakhtar Donetsk last month, but returned to action for the derby with Atletico Madrid - a 1-1 draw - 10 days ago.

However, Ramos then withdrew from the Spain squad ahead of qualifiers with Luxembourg and Ukraine after aggravating the problem.

Madrid take on Levante on Saturday and may be able to utilise Ramos again after the centre-back took part in what the club described as an "intense session" with the squad on Wednesday.

Rafael Benitez's men sit second in La Liga, one point behind leaders Villarreal with 15 points from seven games.

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barca to make final appeal to FIFA over Turan

14 October 2015

928550header.jpg

Barcelona are to make a final appeal to FIFA in an attempt to bring forward Arda Turan's registration before taking the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Turan joined Barca from Atletico Madrid in July but is not eligible to play for the Spanish champions until next year because of a transfer ban imposed on the club.

The embargo, which came about as a result of Barca breaching rules relating to registering youth players, expires on January 4.

But, following a cruciate knee ligament injury suffered by Rafinha last month, Barca enquired with FIFA and the Spanish Football Federation over the possibility of fast-tracking the Turkey star's registration.

That request was rejected by FIFA, although the Spanish and European champions have since called for a "more concrete answer" and hinted they could take the matter to CAS.

And Barca have now confirmed they are to make another plea to FIFA's Appeals Committee on Thursday, which the club said will serve as a "prelude" to an appeal to CAS.

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benitez: I fought for Ramos to stay

15 October 2015

928708header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Rafael Benitez insisted there is no rift between himself and Sergio Ramos, claiming he fought more than anyone to keep the defender in Spain.

Ramos was the subject of interest from Premier League giants Manchester United throughout the transfer window before opting to sign a new five-year contract at Madrid in August.

Benitez criticised Ramos following Madrid's 1-1 draw against rivals Atletico Madrid on October 4 but said there has been no falling out.

Ramos was guilty of giving away a penalty against Atletico, but looks set to retain his starting spot against Levante in La Liga on Saturday.

"I fought more than anyone for Ramos to stay," Benitez told Onda Cero.

"There are absolutely no problems between us. He's our captain, an outstanding footballer and he has to keep showing that."

"I'm surprised by the number of stories they make up. We have a great dressing room and there is a very good, relaxed and healthy atmosphere amongst the players."

He added: "I don't have a problem with any player in the squad."

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sanchez rubbishes exit rumours amid Real Madrid reports

15 October 2015

928723header.jpg

Arsenal striker Alexis Sanchez says he has not considered leaving the club amid speculation Real Madrid are interesting in signing him.

The Chile international was the subject of reports suggesting Madrid were set to bid for the former Barcelona man, who continued his fine form with three goals during the international break.

After a slow start to the season with Arsenal, Sanchez now has nine goals in his last five games for club and country.

Three goals while on international duty helped Chile to wins over Brazil and Peru in their opening World Cup qualifiers, with Sanchez now focused on his return to club action.

Speaking at a press conference ahead of his return to England, the 26-year-old told reporters: "I'm very happy at Arsenal, I don't think about leaving.

"I always want to be the best at everything I do. I'm never happy with what I do, I always want to give more."

Sanchez scored 25 goals in all competitions during his debut season with the north London club last term - helping Arsenal defend the FA Cup as Arsene Wenger's men finished third in the Premier League.

ToniKroos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid v Levante: Benitez plays down reports of Real rifts

15 October 2015

928868header.jpg

Rafael Benitez has reported a united dressing room at Real Madrid ahead of his team's return to La Liga action against Levante.

Real resume after the international break second in the standings, a point behind surprise early leaders Villarreal.

They are unbeaten in all competitions under Benitez, but the former Liverpool boss has come in for criticism following back-to-back Liga draws with Malaga and Atletico Madrid, with detractors pointing towards a perceived negative style of play.

Rumours of rifts with key members of the playing staff, most notably Cristiano Ronaldo, have also been a feature of the fallout from the Madrid derby – something Benitez was keen to refute.

"I'm surprised how many stories are invented, we have a very good locker room," he said in an interview on Onda Cero.

"The relationship between them is quite good, a very good atmosphere among the players, relaxed and healthy.

"I have no problems with any player in the squad. Yesterday I had a good time talking with Cristiano.

"I have a custom that is to greet them and ask how they are. I greet [the players] one by one. I've had more complicated locker rooms than this one."

Captain Sergio Ramos, who Benitez described as "a phenomenon" and stated that there were "zero problems between us", is back in training after missing Spain's closing Euro 2016 qualifiers with a shoulder injury.

Luka Modric sustained an adductor injury while away with Croatia and he is set for a period on the sidelines, although Gareth Bale played a full part in Wales' qualifiers against Bosnia-Herzegovina and Andorra to put his recent calf injury behind him.

"We have a lot of injuries, but very clear circumstances," Benitez said.

"[The medical staff] work hard to prevent [injuries], but we play twice a week to intensity. We have many internationals."

Levante checked Villarreal's flying start with a 1-0 win last time out – Brazilian forward Deyverson netting decisively seven minutes from time to seal a first victory of the campaign and lift Lucas Alcaraz's men out of the relegation zone.

Ivan Lopez was substituted before half-time in that game and missed training on Wednesday along with fellow defender David Navarro (vertigo) and midfielder Verza.

Angel Trujillo has resumed gym work after undergoing eye surgery last month.

"We have casualties, some in the same position, but let's make the best of it." Alcarez told a pre-match press conference.

"Rafael Benitez is a methodical coach and I very positively appreciate his work."

Real have won their past seven La Liga games against Levante, whose previous triumph at the Santiago Bernabeu came in 2007 when Salva Ballesta scored the only goal.

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pedro may want to change Chelsea decision - Luis Enrique

16 October 2015 15:15

929457header.jpg

Luis Enrique has suggested Pedro may be reconsidering his decision to leave Barcelona for Chelsea.

The Spain winger has struggled to make an impact at Stamford Bridge following his £21million switch from Barca in August.

Pedro opted to leave Camp Nou in search of more first-team opportunities, but his arrival has coincided with Chelsea's worst start to a season in 37 years.

Luis Enrique said: "We know what the situation was with Pedro, we understand it, it's logical, he wanted to play more and over the course of a player's career you have to make decisions.

"Perhaps now he might want to change that decision I don't know.

"It's not a question of us missing him, that's what life in football is like."

Luis Enrique has been suggested as a possible replacement for Vicente del Bosque, who has yet to commit to Spain beyond Euro 2016.

Asked if he would like to assume the position one day, he replied: "Yes, I would like to manage Spain."

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique: Messi will not be rushed back from injury

16 October 2015 14:49

929449header.jpg

Luis Enrique is adamant Lionel Messi will not be rushed back from injury - by Barcelona or Argentina.

Messi is sidelined with a knee injury sustained against Las Palmas last month and is not expected to return for at least another four weeks.

There have been suggestions Argentina, who have failed to win either of their opening two World Cup qualifiers, are desperate for him to be available for the crunch clash with Brazil on November 13 while Barca meet Real Madrid in the season's first Clasico nine days later.

Barca coach Luis Enrique is keen, however, for the 28-year-old to come back only when he is ready.

"I want him to recover properly, not for him to be ready for any particular game, just get back to 100 per cent fitness," he said ahead of Saturday's game with Rayo Vallecano at Camp Nou.

"I am sure the Argentinian Football Association and Barcelona are primarily concerned with Messi being fit. I am sure [Argentina coach] Tata Martino wants him to fully recover. We are thinking of the best interests of Messi himself."

Barca won the corresponding fixture against Rayo last season 6-1 - a game which featured a Messi hat-trick - but Luis Enrique is not expecting an easy evening.

He added: "What we know is Rayo will present the same problems as they did last season, they don't let you relax for a single moment on the ball. We found that last season, both home and away.

"In football, easy games don't happen. That's not the way the game works."

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Griezmann happy to retain Sociedad affection after Atletico win

18 October 2015 19:38

930865header.jpg

Antoine Griezmann says he could never celebrate a goal against Real Sociedad after a subdued reaction to his stunning solo effort in Atletico Madrid's 2-0 Liga win at the Anoeta.

The France international returned to his former club in style, surging majestically through the Sociedad defence to produce a chipped finish in the ninth minute.

As when he netted in a victory over Sociedad in the Spanish capital last term, Griezmann offered scant acknowledgement to the goal and he received a standing ovation from the majority of the home supporters when he was substituted during the closing stages.

"I can never celebrate a goal against the club that gave me everything," the forward told television reporters.

Hosts Sociedad caused some late incidents after Griezmann's withdrawal, as Diego Reyes and Jonathas both talked themselves into red cards either side of Yannick Ferreira-Carrasco sealing the points with his first goal for Atleti in an ill-tempered affair.

"We knew it would be a difficult game because they are strong at the Anoeta," Griezmann said.

"We knew we would have few chances to score and that we would have to take them when they arrived."

Atletico are back into Champions League action against Astana on Wednesday night, but Griezmann is happy to have the matches coming thick and fast.

"Every player wants to play a match every three days because that's good – it means that you play European competitions," he added.

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Simeone labels Gimenez challenge ´act of heroism´

18 October 2015 23:19

931000header.jpg

Diego Simeone dismissed claims nine-man Real Sociedad should have been given a late penalty in a controversial end to Atletico Madrid's 2-0 win at the Anoeta Stadium.

Atletico were leading 1-0 through a fine solo goal from Antoine Griezmann in injury time when defender Jose Maria Gimenez appeared to bring down Sociedad forward Jonathas.

But referee Ignacio Iglesias did not point to the spot and Atletico quickly launched a counter from which Yannick Ferreira Carrasco made sure of the points.

Iglesias' decision angered Sociedad coach David Moyes. Asked about the incident, Simeone said: "The truth is that from the bench we were far away from it. But I was told that he [Gimenez] hit the ball when he threw himself over in an act of heroism.

"The referee saw that he touched the ball and not the player. The [opposition] player was looking for contact in a heroic act by Gimenez."

Simeone's men are now fourth in La Liga, two points behind Real Madrid, Celta Vigo and Barcelona, who are all level on 18 points.

"Whenever you come to this stadium you know it's going to be a difficult game because Real are a very competitive side," Simeone added.

"When they're losing they find extra reserves of effort, especially against the big clubs, and they have an amazing emotional resilience. They can be very dangerous then.

"The truth is that during the second half we found it difficult to get out of our own half, although we weren't under any pressure in our area."