• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2014-15 ║

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus´ Caceres suffers fractured ankle

8 March 2015

801159header.jpg

Juventus defender Martin Caceres is to undergo surgery after fracturing his left ankle in training on Sunday.

The defender was taking part in a session ahead of Juve's Serie A fixture at home to Sassuolo on Monday.

Leaders Juve have yet to disclose how much action the Uruguayan will miss, with the Turin club set to give an update after he has gone under the knife.

A statement on Juve's official website read: "Martin Caceres is to undergo surgery after fracturing the malleolus bone in his left ankle during [Sunday's] training session.

"The defender will be operated on tomorrow, with a prognosis on his recovery time to be established afterwards.

"The operation will be carried out by Dr. Flavio Quaglia at Turin's Fornaca Clinic."

Inler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini: I did not watch Icardi penalty

8 March 2015

801198header.jpg

Roberto Mancini was unable to watch as Mauro Icardi's dramatic late penalty earned Inter a 2-2 draw at Napoli on Sunday.

Napoli looked set to move within two points of second-placed Roma as Marek Hamsik's header and a wonderful long-range strike from Gonzalo Higuain put Rafael Benitez's men into 2-0 lead at Stadio San Paolo.

However, Rodrigo Palacio reduced the arrears, before Icardi showed supreme confidence with a chipped penalty in the 85th minute after Fredy Guarin had been felled by Henrique - earning the full-back a second yellow card and subsequent red.

"Icardi is a brave guy," Mancini told Sky Sport Italia when questioned about the Argentina international's audacious spot-kick.

"I didn't even see the penalty as I wasn't looking.

"We were playing against a great side. We could not expect to dominate. It is also true that Napoli has great offensive potential and it is normal that they can get you in trouble in some moments of the game."

Icardi also spoke with reporters after the final whistle and explained that he opted for his cheeky effort because he is well acquainted with Napoli goalkeeper Mariano Andujar and felt his fellow Argentina international would have studied his previous penalties.

"I decided to take it like that because Andujar studies very well the attackers he faces," he said.

"We always want to win, but we gained a point which helps improve our league standing."

Inler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inter must be more cynical - Mancini

9 March 2015

801321header.jpg

Roberto Mancini wants his Inter side to be more "cynical" despite seeing them fight back to draw 2-2 at Napoli in Serie A on Sunday.

Mauro Icardi's late penalty earned Inter a point as Rafael Benitez's men missed the chance to close the gap on second-placed Roma, who drew with Chievo earlier in the day.

Marek Hamsik's 51st-minute header and a superb long-range strike from Gonzalo Higuain put Napoli in control.

However, Rodrigo Palacio pulled a goal back with 18 minutes remaining and the turnaround was completed in the 87th minute courtesy of Icardi's chipped penalty after Henrique received his second yellow card for a tug on Fredy Guarin.

Inter coach Mancini has urged his players to be more streetwise and was left to reflect on what might have.

He said: "Although we were playing at Napoli against a great side, the disappointing thing is losing 2-0 when you shouldn't be in that situation.

"We might have to improve in terms of experience and become a bit more cynical. That said, Napoli have a lot of quality up top and can cause you problems at any moment.

He added: "I'm not happy because towards the end we should have tried to win the game. We should have pressed for a third goal."

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mattiello surgery a success

9 March 2015

801352header.jpg

Chievo have revealed that on-loan winger Federico Mattiello has undergone successful surgery after suffering a horrific broken leg during Sunday's Serie A draw with Roma.

The 19-year-old came off worse in a challenge with Radja Nainggolan in the first half of the stalemate against Rudi Garcia's side.

Juventus teenager Mattiello fractured the tibia and fibula in his right leg and remains in hospital following a two-hour operation on Sunday.

A statement on Chievo's official website said: "Chievo Verona announces that the surgery that was performed on the player Federico Mattiello was perfectly successful .

"The player will remain under observation in the Department of Orthopedics Hospital Sacred Heart of Negrar and will be constantly monitored prior to a permanent prognosis."

Matiello tweeted from hospital: "I thank everyone for the many messages, which give me the strength to look ahead!!!"

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zdenek is Zeman for Cagliari after Zola sacking

9 March 2015

801602header.jpg

Zdenek Zeman has returned to take the top job at Cagliari following the Serie A club's decision to sack Gianfranco Zola on Monday.

Zeman parted company with the club in December and was replaced by Zola, who lasted just 11 games - winning two of those to leave Cagliari 18th in the table.

And, with 12 games to go to save their top-flight status, Cagliari have acted quickly to get Zeman back at the helm, despite the fact he managed only three victories from his 18 games in charge this term.

A club statement read: "Cagliari Calcio announce that the [role of leading the team] was entrusted to Zdenek Zeman and his staff composed of Vincenzo Cangelosi, Giacomo Modica and Roberto Ferola."

Zola, who finished his playing career at the Stadio Sant'Elia, saw his tenure get off to a foreboding start, with a 5-0 loss at Palermo in his first game.

The first of his two wins came in the following match at home to Cesena, but a run of six games without a win sealed his fate.

Zeman's return to the dugout will come on Saturday, when Empoli are the visitors as Cagliari seek to close the four-point gap to safety.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cagliari sack Zola

1023532_heroa.jpg

Mar 9, 2015 12:14:11

The Serie A outfit have decided to part ways with the former Chelsea man after just three months following a string of poor results

Cagliari have announced that they have sacked head coach Gianfranco Zola following their 2-0 defeat at the hands of Sampdoria at the weekend.

Zola, who finished his playing career at the Stadio Sant'Elia, replaced Zdenek Zeman in December following a poor start to the season for the Sardinian outfit.

However, a 5-0 defeat in his first game in charge offered little hope of a quick turnaround and it has now been decided that the club will look at alternative options after just two wins from his 11 games at the helm, leaving them 18th in Serie A.

Saturday's loss to Sampdoria was the final straw and Zola's departure was confirmed on Monday with the club languishing four points from safety.

"A decision made reluctantly against a great man who wrote unforgettable pages in the history of Cagliari, giving luster and international prestige to the land of Sardinia," a statement reads.

"He and his staff go with thanks for the work done in recent months with dedication, professionalism and passion, and the heartfelt good luck for the rest of his career."

Just months after being sacked, Zeman has already been linked with a swift return to the club as Zola's successor.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Allegri demands further Juventus improvement

1045582_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Mar 9, 2015 08:16:33

The 47-year-old has urged his men to step up their game versus Sassuolo and feels they did not put in a bad performance in their loss to Fiorentina

Massimiliano Allegri has stressed that Juventus must improve if they are to win a fourth consecutive Serie A title this term as they prepare to take on Sassuolo on Monday.

The reigning Italian champions currently hold an eight-point lead over second-placed Roma having played a game less.

However, Allegri is adamant that they can still develop even further as a team as they look to go 11 points clear with a win.

"We must improve, stop conceding and work on our focus, because we’re at the final straight of the season," Allegri said at a press conference.

"We’re in good physical shape though, and we’ll need to put in a great performance on Monday night. Sassuolo are never an easy team to face and dangerous in open space, with three front men whose talents few teams can boast.

"This team has won three consecutive league titles and it seems as if people think it’s just naturally going to happen again this season. I think a bit of enthusiasm has been lost, winning four league titles isn’t straightforward and few teams throughout history have managed to do so.

"Everyone should be proud of what these lads are doing. The league still isn’t over and calm is required. We must keep working, take the positive aspects on board and limit the negative ones."

Allegri then went on to discuss his side's 2-1 Coppa Italia defeat at the hands of Fiorentina in midweek and feels the Turin side were not as bad as some made it out to be.

"We’ve calmly sat down and analysed the Fiorentina match, because it seemed as if the game was a disaster. Instead, if you take away the seven minutes of madness at the start of the second half, when we afforded them two shots and then conceded from our own mistake, we had four or five important opportunities of our own and Fiorentina barely got out of their half.

"We must avoid the situations in which we allowed them to counter, but I wouldn’t change any of the decisions I made. Fiorentina will be favourites for the return leg, but we’re capable of overturning the scoreline."

Rossi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Icardi: Inter renewal still far away

946442_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Mar 9, 2015 11:56:42

The Giuseppe Meazza side are keen to extend the striker's current deal, but he has made it clear there is no agreement just yet

Mauro Icardi has admitted that he is not close to a renewing his contract with Inter at the moment.

The Argentine attacker has developed into a key player at the Giuseppe Meazza side since joining them from Sampdoria in the summer of 2013 and they are keen to reward the 22-year-old for his sublime performances with a new and improved deal.

Sporting director Piero Ausilio recently revealed that Inter have already sat down with Icardi's agent, Abian Morano, a number of times to hold talks and a deal seemed imminent.

However, Icardi has made it clear there are still plenty of details that need ironed out first.

"I don't know about my renewal. There are still a lot of things that need sorted," Icardi told reporters.

General director Marco Fassone, meanwhile, is hopeful an agreement will be reached in the not too distant future.

"There have a number of meetings. We have expressed our desire to renew his deal and to hold on to him," Fassone added.

"I believe that there's also a desire to extend on Icardi's part and that there is a will to wrap things up shortly."

The striker has already netted 15 goals in 25 Serie A appearances so far in 2014-15 and his contract runs until June 2018.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lazio 4 Fiorentina 0: Klose at the double to send side up to third

9 March 2015

801663header.jpg

Miroslav Klose scored twice as Lazio turned in a fine performance to rout Fiorentina 4-0 and move into the UEFA Champions League places in Serie A.

Just one place and one point separated the teams before Monday's contest at Stadio Olimpico, but it was the hosts who made the most of Napoli throwing away a two-goal lead in Sunday's 2-2 draw against Inter.

It took just seven minutes for Lazio to make the breakthrough, Lucas Biglia opening the scoring in some style with an excellently controlled volley from the edge of the penalty area.

Lazio continued to swarm the visitors' goal, but found Fiorentina goalkeeper Norberto Neto in fine form - the Brazilian twice making fine stops from stinging Felipe Anderson shots.

Neto was again called into action when Biglia tried to replicate his goal with a similar volley, only for the goalkeeper to tip his shot onto the post this time.

However, there was nothing Neto could to prevent Lazio's second in the 65th minute, Nenad Tomovic's trip on Felipe Anderson led to Antonio Candreva drilling home the resulting penalty.

Klose added the third with a diving header after Candreva's shot was saved by Neto and the World Cup winner tapped home his second five minutes from time to complete the comfortable win.

Stefano Pioli's men subsequently leapfrog Napoli on goal difference to go third, while Fiorentina slip four points adrift of Lazio.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Toure wants to join me at Inter, says Mancini

10 March 2015

801867header.jpg

Former Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has claimed that midfielder Yaya Toure wants to join him at Serie A side Inter.

Toure was signed by Mancini during the Italian's stint at the Etihad Stadium from 2009 to 2013.

The Ivory Coast international is under contract until 2017, but there has been speculation over a potential move to pastures new, with Inter and Paris Saint-Germain mooted as possible destinations.

"Yaya's played in all the top leagues apart from Germany and Italy and if he, as it seems, would like to come to Italy, then there is this possibility," Mancini told GazzettaTV.

"It's not going to be easy. He's a player with personality and incredible technical quality, but if he were to come to Italy, then Inter would certainly be his first choice.

"Let's first just see what happens with Financial Fair Play. I'm convinced that we'll sign some good players who will boost the quality of the side. Yes, [I've been given carte blanche to spend], but they forgot to give me the pen."

Speaking about the chances of Inter - who sit ninth in Serie A - winning the league next season, Mancini added: "Of course we can.

"I'm so confident because of what we are doing. The foundations are solid. I can see the lads improving all the time; everybody's getting better.

"Next season, we are aiming to fight it out with Juve, Napoli and Roma."

Lavezzi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Camoranesi urges Juve to sign Cavani

11 March 2015

802444header.jpg

Former Juventus man Mauro Camoranesi has urged the club to sign Edinson Cavani in order to help them compete with the rest of Europe's elite.

Cavani spent six and a half seasons in Serie A with Palermo and then Napoli, before a move to Paris Saint-Germain in 2013.

The Uruguay international has netted 18 goals in all competiitons for PSG this season, although there have been reports of a spat between the player and coach Laurent Blanc.

"Cavani is a world-class striker," Camoranesi told Tuttosport.

"Cavani and [Carlos] Tevez would be a fantastic strike partnership.

"Maybe he wouldn't be enough to ensure they [Juventus] won the Champions League, but he'd certainly help them make a leap forward in Europe.

"It's hard, there's so much competition in Europe. They still need a few years to be able to compete with the superpowers.

"It's important to show that you're a top club by getting great players on the transfer market, not average signings leaving you with five players you have to sell."

Rossi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benitez: Napoli fans want me to stay

11 March 2015

802601header.jpg

Having hinted at a possible move away from Napoli, Rafael Benitez maintains the club's fans want him to stay at Stadio Sao Paulo.

Benitez's men host Dynamo Moscow in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday with the Spaniard having hinted in a recent interview that he would not necessarily be averse to a change of scenery.

But the former Valencia and Liverpool boss claims Napoli's supporters are keen for him to remain.

"Every day I meet fans who tell me they've never seen a Napoli like this, and ask me to stay," he said.

"I say that we must go forward shoulder to shoulder.

"We cannot make a projection of what will happen in the long term, but we can certainly give our best tomorrow [against Dynamo] and try to win.

"I want to win every game, both in Italy and in Europe. But what I can expect now is that tomorrow we will play an intense match and look for the best result. Then we'll see. But my future is tomorrow.

"We want to win, this is clear, but we need to show the same intensity that I've seen for most of [the draws] against Lazio and Inter."

Benitez is bidding to become the first coach to win the competition, in its various incarnations, with three different clubs.

But, while Napoli are just three rounds away from the final, Benitez maintains his side must focus on seeing off Dynamo first.

"We will play against a club that has players of international quality with [Mathieu] Valbuena, [Kevin] Kuranyi and [Aleksandr] Kokorin and is also balanced at the back," he added.

"But I have faith in my team, I want the boys to play with the mentality of always going to look for success."

Podolski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Podolski: Chapter with Arsenal not closed

11 March 2015

802502header.jpg

Lukas Podolski says "the chapter is not closed with Arsenal", with his loan deal at Inter set to expire at the end of the season.

The Germany international moved to San Siro in January, having fallen out of favour under Arsene Wenger.

Podolski has yet to find the net in nine appearances for his new club, and has hinted that a permanent move to Inter would not be his desired choice.

"At Inter there have been some negative situations, but I see the bright side in all of it," he told Bild.

"Also, it's generally easier to criticise someone who comes on loan, as I did this winter.

"The chapter is not closed with Arsenal, because there is no purchase option.

"I was the first person to clear things up in the talks with Inter and say I didn't want any kind of redemption clause.

"When you're on loan you never know what can happen, so at the end of the season we'll analyse things freely and decide the situation."

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Garcia wants to replicate Rotterdam performance

11 March 2015

802767header.jpg

Rudi Garcia has challenged his Roma players to replicate the performance they produced against Feyenoord when they visit Fiorentina in the UEFA Europa League last 16 first leg on Thursday.

Roma progressed with a 2-1 win in a fiery contest at De Kuip that saw two Feyenoord players sent off, completing a 3-2 aggregate victory.

However, Garcia's men have not won in Serie A in over a month and were beaten 2-0 by Fiorentina in the Coppa Italia last month, having claimed a 2-0 win and a 1-1 draw in the two league fixtures with the Florence club.

"We've met Fiorentina three times already and I think tomorrow will be different to the other games," Garcia said.

"We need to think of this as a match lasting 180 minutes: that's crucial if we're to play well and go through. We have to play better than we did against Chievo [in Sunday's 0-0 draw], but that shouldn't be too hard.

"I hope to see the Roma of Rotterdam, of the first half against Hellas [Verona] and the last 20 minutes against Juve [in a 1-1 draw nine days ago].

"I'm confident in my players' ability: they're quite capable of playing as well as they did until not long ago.

"My players know we have to take the game by the scruff of the neck, playing to our strengths."

Speaking of their recent poor form, forward Adem Ljajic added: "There's no mental block. We're a great group and we talk together. We'll come through this with our heads high.

"We'll all behind the coach and trying to reproduce the things we run through in training during the week.

"We played our game for the first six months. We're doing less well now and we need to get back to our best."

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Cagliari bank on Zeman, home record

12 March 2015

803006header.jpg

Zdenek Zeman will begin his mission to save Cagliari from relegation to Serie B against Empoli as the majority of Serie A's struggling sides face tougher tests.

Zeman, 67, was rehired as coach by Cagliari on Monday to replace Gianfranco Zola, who had only taken over from the Czech on December 24.

Cagliari have not won in six matches, losing five, but they should be confident on Saturday against 14th-placed Empoli, who have not won in Sardinia since 2002.

Zola's eight-game stint in charge of Cagliari led to two wins and four defeats, leaving the club in 18th - the highest of Serie A's three relegation slots.

But Cagliari could surge away from fellow drop-zone outfits Cesena and Parma, who face Inter and Sassuolo, respectively.

Atalanta, who sit 17th, host 12th-placed Udinese, while Chievo will travel to seventh-placed Genoa on Sunday.

Empoli, however, have their own reasons to believe in victory, as they have not lost in six games.

Leaders Juventus will play in the other match on Saturday as they visit Palermo.

Juve winger Simone Pepe, who has played in his club's past two matches in all competitions after approximately two-and-a-half years battling injuries, hopes to be involved again.

Palermo's 10-game unbeaten run at their Stadio Renzo Barbera has Pepe wary of Juventus' hosts.

"We need to keep our focus because Palermo have gone a long time without losing a home game and we must try to stretch our advantage over Roma," Pepe told Juve's website.

Juventus lead second-placed Roma by 11, with Lazio, Napoli, Fiorentina and Sampdoria completing the top six.

Roma will host Sampdoria on Monday, Lazio will visit Torino, Napoli travel to Hellas Verona and Fiorentina take on Milan.

Inler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fiorentina v Roma: Garcia seeks relief from domestic woes

10 March 2015

802104header.jpg

Rudi Garcia is motivated to ensure that Roma bounce back from another disappointing domestic weekend when they face Serie A rivals Fiorentina in the UEFA Europa League last 16.

Roma have fallen 11 points behind leaders Juventus in the race for the Italian title following a run of four straight league draws in which they have scored just twice.

A goalless stalemate with Chievo on Sunday left Garcia frustrated at what he described as a "terrible performance" and they will need to be much improved in order to see off a Fiorentina team still in the hunt for a UEFA Champions League place.

Garcia's men battled through a fiery last-32 tie with Feyenoord to reach this stage and the Frenchman is hopeful that Thursday's first leg in Florence can provide some welcome relief from their Serie A struggles.

"We're second, and we want to stay there, but to do so we need to do better than [a draw with Chievo]," Garcia told Sky Sport Italia.

"I expect more, both from individuals and the squad, because I know what each player is capable of.

"The club and staff are united. It's important to make clear to the team that we must do better, and we have an opportunity to do that now.

"[On Sunday] I was disappointed, but I woke up [on Monday] motivated and charged. We must work to play a great game on Thursday."

Fiorentina, meanwhile, suffered a huge blow to their Champions League ambitions with a 4-0 humbling at the hands of Lazio at the weekend, leaving them four points adrift of Roma's capital city neighbours in the fight for third place.

But captain Manuel Pasqual has urged Fiorentina - who knocked out Tottenham in the previous round and beat Juve in the first leg of the Coppa Italia semi-final last week - to put their horror show at Lazio behind them.

"Just as we did well not to dwell on some of the big wins we've picked up recently, we need to make sure we put this loss behind us quickly," Pasqual told Fiorentina's official website.

"We need to work hard and look at what went wrong, of course, but the most important thing is to move on.

"We have an important game against Roma on Thursday and then Milan on Monday night. Both are vital if we're to progress in the Europa League and continue performing well in Serie A."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fiorentina 1 Roma 1: Keita gives Garcia´s men the edge

12 March 2015 23:15

803461header.jpg

Seydou Keita scored an equaliser for the second time in as many weeks to give Roma a precious away goal as they drew 1-1 with domestic rivals Fiorentina in the first leg of a UEFA Europa League last-16 tie on Thursday.

After falling 11 points behind leaders Juventus in Serie A and exiting the Coppa Italia to Fiorentina last month, Roma will know the Europa League provides their last realistic hope of success this term.

They appeared to be on track for another disappointing result at the Stadio Artemio Franchi as Josip Ilicic gave hosts Fiorentina a 17th-minute lead.

Adem Ljajic saw a penalty, which had been controversially awarded, saved by Neto on the hour mark as Roma sought a response.

Yet it was Keita - Roma's scorer in a 1-1 draw with Juventus 10 days ago - who had the final say with a well-placed header to give Roma a narrow advantage ahead of the return leg in seven days' time.

Chances were few and far between early on, but Ilicic took advantage of the first real opportunity of the match following a quick Fiorentina counter-attack.

Mohamed Salah broke clear after intercepting a poor pass from Daniele De Rossi and expertly slipped Ilicic through to lash home beyond Lukasz Skorupski at the near post.

De Rossi was substituted in favour of Miralem Pjanic because of an apparent injury five minutes later and Roma, despite enjoying plenty of possession, struggled to break down the home defence.

However, Rudi Garcia's men should have levelled a minute before the interval when Ljajic spooned the ball over the bar from point-blank range after Alessandro Florenzi had been denied by Fiorentina goalkeeper Neto.

Roma were handed a huge lifeline in the 59th minute as Neto was harshly adjudged to have brought down Juan Iturbe as the forward raced towards goal.

But Ljajic again fluffed his lines as his low penalty was kept out by Neto diving to his right.

Neto's heroics appeared to spur Fiorentina on as they pushed for a second, with Ilicic and Borja Valero both firing wide from the edge of the area.

Yet the hosts required more fine work from Neto, the Brazilian racing out of his area to dispossess Radja Nainggolan before Milan Badelj fouled Pjanic to prevent him from firing into an empty net from long range.

Roma's reward finally arrived when Keita met Florenzi's corner with a powerful header directed down into the ground and past Neto.

Badelj forced Skorupski to tip over a 35-yard drive, but that was as close as Fiorentina came to a victory on the night as Roma stood firm.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Roma deserved victory - Garcia

12 March 2015 23:55

i

Roma did enough during Thursday's 1-1 draw against Fiorentina in the UEFA Europa League last-16 to warrant victory, according to coach Rudi Garcia.

Josip Ilicic had given Fiorentina a 17th-minute first-leg lead at the Stadio Artemi Franchi before Seydou Keita headed home an equaliser 13 minutes from time.

The midfielder's leveller could yet prove a crucial away goal, although Garcia was left disappointed not to be heading into next week's second leg in front.

"We deserved to win today. We had lots of chances to win the match," said the Frenchman.

"We were up against it in the first 20 minutes, but then we turned a corner and stopped giving it away in midfield.

"We were ambitious and got a goal, which is always important when you're playing away in a European knock-out tie.

"We shouldn't just play to get through on away goals in the second leg - we have to try and win the game.

"In the last 70 minutes tonight it was the same Roma side I saw against Juve [in Serie A last Monday] and Feyenoord [in the Europa League last 32].

"We showed character and personality. We built the play well and showed we could stretch them [Fiorentina].

"It was a good performance from us this evening and I think we could have got the victory."

Lavezzi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Parma hit with two-point deduction

13 March 2015 18:06

803880header.jpg

Beleaguered Serie A side Parma have been deducted two points by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC), their second such sanction of the season.

The Tardini club have been hampered by financial problems throughout a desperate campaign and have already received a previous one-point deduction for an inability to pay their players' wages.

Parma's clash with Udinese last month was postponed due to a failure to meet stewarding costs, while their following fixture was boycotted by the club's players.

Their points tally now stands at nine - 15 adrift of safety.

The club failed to pay wages for July, August and September by an FIGC-set November 17 deadline.

With wages still not settled, another deduction referring to October, November and December is to be expected. January, February and March payments are still outstanding.

In addition, former club president Tommaso Ghirardi and sporting director Pietro Leonardi have been banned from any football-related activity for four months.

Parma face a bankruptcy hearing next Thursday.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inter v Cesena: Shaqiri wants lessons to be learned

13 March 2015 20:44

803984header.jpg

Xherdan Shaqiri knows Inter must cut out the mistakes when they attempt to respond to their midweek defeat at Wolfsburg by beating relegation-threatened Cesena in Serie A on Sunday.

Roberto Mancini's side slumped to a 3-1 loss in the first leg of their UEFA Europa League last-16 tie at the Volkswagen Arena on Thursday.

Rodrigo Palacio put Inter in front after only five minutes, but Naldo equalised in the first half and Kevin De Bruyne's double put the Bundesliga side in command.

Juan Pablo Carrizo was arguably at fault for all three goals, but Mancini did not lay the blame with the Argentine goalkeeper - who is expected to be replaced by first-choice Samir Handanovic for the clash at San Siro this weekend.

Switzerland winger Shaqiri was left frustrated by the manner in which Inter surrendered their lead on and is eager to put that setback behind them by securing three points against Cesena.

He said in an interview with Mediaset Premium: "We played really well at the start but then they managed to get one against the run of play.

"It's unbelievable the things we're giving away. We have some great players and now we have to push on and look to the next match. We have to give it everything we've got and learn from the mistakes we made.

"If we can cut out them out, we can go a long way. But we really must cut them out."

Inter are without a win in their last three games in all competitions, but fought back from two goals down to draw 2-2 at 10-man Napoli last weekend.

Mancini's men are ninth in the table and will be expected to secure victory against a Cesena side who head to Milan on the back of claiming four points from their last two games against Udinese and Palermo.

Those two results have given Domenico Di Carlo's men a fighting of avoiding the drop, but they will need to improve their away form in order to stand a fighting chance of staying up.

Cesena, who are four points from safety, have won just once on the road this season - against beleaguered Parma back in January - and Di Carlo has injury concerns over the likes of Francesco Renzetti, Stefano Lucchini and Ze Eduardo amongst others.

Inter, who won 1-0 at Cesena in October, will be without defender Juan Jesus due to suspension.