• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Coleman: Bale being ignored by Real team-mates

27 May 2015

851239header.jpg

Real Madrid have been accused by Chris Coleman of "overlooking" embattled forward Gareth Bale on the pitch.

Bale has endured a turbulent second season in Madrid, with Real fans targeting the Wales international following the capital club's below-par season, which cost coach Carlo Ancelotti his job on Monday.

The Welshman's on-field woes have sparked speculation that he may be open to a return to the Premier League via Manchester United.

Wales coach Coleman, who spent time in Spain with Real Sociedad in 2007-08, leapt to the defence of Bale, claiming the player's team-mates have contributed to his struggles.

"He was heavily criticised after that first leg [against Juventus in the UEFA Champions League] but I am seeing him in great positions and not receiving the ball from certain players," Coleman said.

"My assistant Osian [Roberts] called me up and I told him 'I know what you are going to say, they are not giving him the ball'.

"It wasn't Carlo Ancelotti's fault, it is down to the players on the pitch and it looked to me like he was being overlooked.

"You can only do what you do best. With us when he is good positions we make sure we give it to him, in Madrid I did not see that and it was not because he was not working hard.

"I am not saying it was just Ronaldo, but offensively I look at Madrid and wonder why he is not getting the ball.

"That Madrid team towards the end of the season looked disjointed and did not seem to have that togetherness, and Gareth has suffered for that."

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pique: I´ll retire at Barca

27 May 2015

851378header.jpg

Gerard Pique declared he would retire next season rather than leave his boyhood club Barcelona as he aims to complete a "perfect season" by winning the treble.

The Spain centre-back has become one of the most respected defenders in the game since returning to Barca seven years ago following a spell with Manchester United.

Barcelona-born Pique has enjoyed a glittering career with the Catalan giants and could complete a second La Liga, UEFA Champions League and Copa del Rey treble next month.

The 28-year-old has another four years on his contract with the Spanish champions and has no intention of moving on to pastures new before he ends his playing days.

"I'll retire at Barca. I don't know when - the older I am, the better. I'm sure about that; I can't see myself wearing any other shirt," he told Marca.

"If I see that next year I'm not up to scratch, I'll hang my boots up at 29 years of age. I don't associate this sport with anything except Barcelona."

Barca face Athletic Bilbao in the Copa del Rey final at Camp Nou on Saturday before taking on Juventus in the Champions League final in Berlin a week later and Pique is determined to add another two winners' medals to his vast haul.

"There comes a point when you realise that you're storming forward, that you can beat anyone and this is what has ended up winning us the league and putting us in two finals," he added.

"Now we mustn't stop; we have to win the two matches that are left and make it a perfect season."

Suarez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Casillas: Whistling made me angry - but I can't imagine leaving Madrid

iker-casillas-alvaro-morata_1kyd617jjuqy31r9u3tnq8gm5z.jpg

By Miles Chambers
May 27, 2015 10:24:00

The goalkeeper is determined to fight for his place at Santiago Bernabeu despite some harsh treatment from a number of supporters

Iker Casillas says he has never been moved to tears by the whistles of Real Madrid fans but admits he has been angered by his treatment.

The goalkeeper's form has been under persistent scrutiny during the past 18 months following a handful of high-profile blunders and a dismal performance with Spain at the World Cup last summer.

However, Carlo Ancelotti reinstated him as undisputed No.1 across all competitions ahead of 2014-15, which drew ire from supporters who thought summer signing Keylor Navas deserved to start.

With Ancelotti having since been sacked this week and David de Gea linked with a big-money move this summer, speculation remains rife that Casillas will ultimately be forced to leave the club - but he admits he cannot envisage doing so.

"I want to face the season with the belief I have always had over the years, that's the passion for this position that I have,” he told Cadena SER. "I'll be in this goal next season and I do not imagine leaving the Real Madrid.

"I would hold off another goalkeeper because I am competitive. But there will never be a problem between myself and Real Madrid.

"What I want and desire is for the good of those who come to the Santiago Bernabeu, the people who call this club their home. It's not the typical brown-nosing flattery, it is the truth.

"I'm a very emotional person and I let the whistling get to me too much, though I never went home crying. But yes, I was angry at the response."

When put on the spot about Manchester United No.1 and Spain international team-mate De Gea being brought in, he added: "De Gea is an awfully nice guy and I'm used to his presence."

Ancelotti

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti '50-50' on AC Milan return: I'll decide on Wednesday

carloancelotti-cropped_1jc7tau6n24q1tbmjxdaabata.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 28, 2015 17:54:07

The Italian had previously stated his intention to take a year out after back surgery this summer but is now considering a dramatic U-turn

Carlo Ancelotti has revealed that he will decide on June 3 whether to take charge of AC Milan again, with club CEO Adriano Galliani admitting that the chances of the coach returning to San Siro are now "50-50".

Ancelotti was sacked as Real Madrid coach on Monday and claimed that he would take a year out of the game to recover from a back operation he will undergo in Canada this summer.

However, Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi immediately sent right-hand man Galliani to the Spanish capital to persuade Ancelotti to re-join the Rossoneri, where he won two Champions Leagues with during an eight-year stint at the Giuseppe Meazza between 2001 and 2009.

Ancelotti was still expected to go ahead with his plan for a 12-month sabbatical but the 55-year-old has now admitted that he is in two minds over what to do next.

"I've always got on well with Galliani," he told Milan Channel. "We'll decide on June 3.

"Will I take a year off? We'll see."

As for Galliani, he is also cautiously optimistic about Milan's chances of bringing Ancelotti back to Italy.

"Carlo is thinking of taking a break for a year but I hope to convince him to accept Milan's offer. The final response will arrive on Wednesday," he said.

"He'll think about it for a few more days but he told me that there's a 50-50 chance.

"I'll call him on Wednesday. We're agreed on everything but we'll see what he says on Wednesday when I call him."

Ancelotti won the Copa del Rey and the Champions League in 2013-14 - his first in charge of Madrid - but he was fired after Los Blancos finished second to Barcelona in La Liga and knocked out of Europe by Juventus.

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Carlo would have continued at Madrid despite surgery' - Ancelotti's wife

carlo-ancelotti-archive_1vp2ev3u72dpm1hy7go4ej97as.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 28, 2015 15:50:52

The Italian coach will need to "recharge his batteries" after back surgery but could have remained in control of the Blancos

Carlo Ancelotti's wife, Mariann, has admitted that her husband would have remained at Real Madrid had the club not decided to sack him on Monday - despite the coach's insistence that he has to take a one-year sabbatical for medical reasons.

The Italian coach penned a three-year contract when he arrived at the Santiago Bernabeu in the summer of 2013 and enjoyed a stellar debut season in Spain, winning the Copa del Rey and the Champions League.

But despite lifting the Club World Cup last December, Ancelotti was dismissed after Madrid finished second in La Liga, having failed to defend their European crown.

Ancelotti subsequently revealed that he required surgery on a longstanding back problem and would thus be taking a year out of the game.

The 55-year-old's wife, though, has now claimed that the former AC Milan boss would have stayed at the Santiago Bernabeu were his services still required.

"If Real had wanted, Carlo would have continued," Mariann told Vanity Fair. "But it did not happen and Carlo wants to recharge his batteries here in Madrid before making a decision about which club will be his next.

"We wanted to take advantage of the possibility to get to know places in Spain that we have not been able to visit up to now - museums, restaurants etc.

"In addition, we are going to have a new member of our family shortly and we look forward to the arrival of Alessandro, our daughter Katia’s son.

"Additionally, the people of Madrid are incredible. They have supported us a lot and they have transmitted their respect to us and the enormous appreciation that they have for Carlo.

"We are very grateful to the people for their affection and loyalty."

Ancelotti, who is being openly pursued by Milan, will go under the knife in Canada this summer.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Porto activate release clause for Casemiro

28 May 2015

852062header.jpg

Porto have activated the release fee for on-loan Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro.

The midfielder joined the Primeira Liga side on a one-year loan in July and has impressed at Estadio do Dragao.

Brazil international Casemiro scored three goals in 28 league appearances for Porto and looks set to stay in Portugal.

La Liga giants Real can opt to reject the move but would have to compensate Porto.

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fit-again Suarez set to aid Barca´s treble quest

29 May 2015

852540header.jpg

Luis Enrique can call on Luis Suarez for Saturday's Copa del Rey final after the striker succesfully shook off a hamstring injury.

The Uruguayan sustained the injury in the second leg of Barcelona's UEFA Champions League semi-final victory against Bayern Munich and missed the last two La Liga fixtures.

However, Luis Enrique confirmed the striker would be available for the weekend as Barca seek to claim the second of three potential titles.

"He's fine, he trained all week and, in principal, he's available, as is any other player in the squad," he told reporters.

Barca wrapped up the league title with a 1-0 victory over Atletico Madrid and, following Saturday's final, finish their season with the Champions League final against Juventus.

Ahead of this weekend's showpiece at Camp Nou, the Barca boss rubbished suggestions focus may wander to their clash with Juve.

"We haven't made that error once this season, so why would we do it now before the Copa final?," he questioned reporters.

"We're playing in our own stadium, there are so many things stimulating us and making us stronger. The motivation and hope is extraordinary at the moment.

"The situation is the best of the season, we've had great games, we've got great results and now there's two to go - the two final steps and the culmination of an exceptional season.

"The players are aware of how difficult finals are and they're not going in feeling arrogant. They know it will be difficult but they feel they can overcome those difficultiues.

"We've seen situations over the years where teams play cup finals at home and it's gone the other way, so we won't know [whether it is an advantage] until tomorrow.

"It's a familiar venue but with a different atmsosphere. There will probably be more Bilbao supporters than our own but to whom does it benefit? I'll tell you tomorrow."

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Athletic Bilbao v Barcelona: Catalans seeking second leg of treble

28 May 2015

852057header.jpg

With one leg of a possible domestic and European treble in the bag, Barcelona go in search of their second trophy of 2014-15 in the Copa del Rey final against Athletic Bilbao.

Barca wrapped up the league title with a 1-0 win at Atletico Madrid a fortnight ago, and Saturday's clash with Athletic marks the first of two finals in as many weeks as Luis Enrique's side steel themselves for a huge end to the season.

The following weekend sees them take on Juventus in the UEFA Champions League final, but for now their attentions are focused on completing the domestic double.

For one last time, Xavi will enjoy playing at Camp Nou for Barca, although he and his team-mates will occupy the away dressing room, and around 50,000 Athletic fans are expected to make the journey from the Basque Country as they go in search of a 24th official Copa crown.

Athletic are the second most successful club in the competition, behind Barca's 26 triumphs, although it is 31 years since their most recent success - a 1-0 win over the Catalan giants in 1984.

The pair have met twice in the final since then, with Barca running out 4-1 winners in 2009 and 3-0 victors three years later.

Barcelona midfielder-turned-centre-half Javier Mascherano was full of praise for Saturday's opponents, who choose players solely from the Basque region.

"Athletic is an excellent team and will make it very complicated," he said in quotes reported by AS.

"Maintaining the culture of Athletic in global football makes them a special club. It's very interesting that, despite the limitations, they continue to be so competitive.

"They deserve all my gratitude for maintaining the philosophy beyond results."

Barca booked their place in the final with a 6-2 aggregate win over Villarreal, while Athletic saw off Espanyol 3-1 over two legs.

Ernesto Valverde's side come into the game in fine form, having strung together a seven-match unbeaten run at the end of the league campaign to finish seventh, and midfielder Mikel Rico believes that run stands them in good stead.

"If you have to choose a way to reach a final, you choose to do it with a positive momentum," he said. "This year we have been a team, with both good and bad long stretches.

"In the second half [of the season] we have achieved 36 points and we finished in Europe, which was our goal in the league. We only need to put the finishing touch with the Copa title."

Athletic will be without Oscar de Marcos through suspension, while Barca's Luis Suarez missed the last two games of the league season with a hamstring injury but has trained with the squad this week.

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Suarez will only get better, warns Iniesta

29 May 2015

852622header.jpg

Luis Suarez "can only get better" after enjoying a superb first season with Barcelona, according to team-mate Andres Iniesta.

Uruguay international Suarez moved to Camp Nou in a reported £75million deal from Liverpool in July.

The forward has scored 24 goals in all competitions this term and has played a vital role in helping Barcelona to the Liga title, as well as the finals of the Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League.

Iniesta has seen first-hand Suarez's impact and tipped the former Ajax star to continue reaching new heights.

"He is playing in his first season, so to be in this situation is extra motivation especially having played such an important role in the team," Iniesta said ahead of Saturday's Copa showpiece against Athletic Bilbao.

"He's a signing who will be with the team for many years - he's a spectacular player in great form.

"He's adapted perfectly and can only get better. Let's see what he can do in these last two games."

Suarez has formed part of a fearsome attacking trio alongside Lionel Messi and Neymar, a strikeforce Iniesta believes is unparalleled in world football.

"I've been lucky to play behind some of the greatest strikers at this club and in the world. Having those three, there's no doubt, it's something you can't compare with," he added.

"So, I think at the current moment we have the best strikers in world. I think the future can only get better because they're relatively young with plenty of potential.

"The real winners are Barca. I played with [Thierry] Henry, [Samuel] Eto'o - great strikers - but let's say right now the threesome we have now are unique."

ToniKroos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Clement says Real goodbyes

29 May 2015

852691header.jpg

Assistant coach Paul Clement has said his goodbyes to Real Madrid amid speculation he is set for a managerial role in England.

Carlo Ancelotti was sacked as Real head coach after two seasons on Monday, as the Italian failed to the win any of the Liga, Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League titles this season.

It was widely expected that Clement, who worked with Ancelotti at Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain, would also leave the Santiago Bernabeu.

And Clement seemingly confirmed his departure on Friday by writing on Twitter: "It has been an honour to have worked with Carlo at the number 1 club in the world.

"Thank you to all the players, staff and fans. Hala Madrid."

Clement has been linked with the vacant managerial posts at Sunderland and Derby County.

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vietto encourages Atletico bid

30 May 2015

853004header.jpg

Villarreal striker Luciano Vietto has suggested Atletico Madrid meeting his release clause would be a win-win situation for everyone.

The 21-year-old Argentine topped the scoring charts at El Madrigal this season with 12 goals in La Liga, and his displays have seen him heavily linked with a move to Atletico.

While Vietto would get European football at Villarreal in 2015-16, he has hinted he would be open to a move to Vicente Calderon and encouraged Diego Simeone to make a bid.

"I can't assure anyone what will happen in the future," he told Radio Vila-real. "But my idea is to be here.

"If Atletico comes in with €20m, I'll make a decision with my family and agent.

"We'll try to make the best choice, but if they pay my [release] clause then I think everyone wins.

"At the moment there’s nothing going on, just rumours. My head is at Villarreal.

"I couldn't give my best [towards the end of the season] because I had some back problems. [The media] said I was thinking about other clubs and wasn't focused. That bothered me.

"It’s not nice when people say those things, especially when you do have problems and can't be at your best as a result."

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramos: I wouldn't have sacked Ancelotti

sergio-ramos-carlo-ancelotti-real-madrid_17mfyq0ytyrty1m5thcr8y0fp4.jpg

By Alberto Pinero
Jun 1, 2015 14:26:38

The Spain international believes Rafael Benitez will, at least, bring plenty of experience to the club as new head coach and hailed the form of David de Gea this season

Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos admits he does not believe sacking head coach Carlo Ancelotti was necessarily the right decision.

The former AC Milan boss was relieved of his duties last week after Madrid ended the 2014-15 season without claiming a major trophy.

While Ramos claims he may well have acted differently were he in president Florentino Perez's position, he hopes Madrid fans can at least savour the memories of the Decima triumph they achieved under Ancelotti last year.

"I'm not the best placed to decide these things. Perhaps, in my case, I would not have done this but that is what the club directors are there to do," he told reporters when asked whether changing coach was the right decision.

"Madrid fans can savour the taste of not only a great person but a great coach who gave us a lot of titles that we didn't win for a long time."

Rafael Benitez is poised to be named Ancelotti's successor this week and Ramos believes the experience he will bring to the role could be vital.

"Obviously we can't comment much until it's made official by the club. He's a great coach with a lot of experience in Italy, England, Spain... a coach who brings experience is always good for a dressing-room like ours," said the centre-back.

Madrid continue to be linked with a summer move for Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea and Ramos says he is happy to see his international team-mate performing so well at club level.

"De Gea is a great goalkeeper, he's shown that. It's important he does well for his club so he's available for the national team," added the former Sevilla man.

"One hears that he could come to Madrid but, out of respect for Keylor Navas, Iker Casillas and Pacheco, I won't say anything."

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona B relegated to third tier of Spanish football

alen-halilovic-barcelona_13ycbvfjcp5h410qrqqyh8prvm.jpg

By Miles Chambers
May 31, 2015 20:52:38

While the first team are flying high with La Liga and Copa del Rey glory as well as reaching a Champions League final, their reserves have endured a poor campaign

Barcelona B have suffered relegation into the third tier of Spanish football following Sunday's 5-2 thrashing by Leganes.

The likes of Munir El-Haddadi – who featured sporadically in early parts of the campaign for Barca's first team – Alen Halilovic, Sandro and Jean Marie Dongou were unable to prevent the heavy defeat to their Madrid-based opposition.

Head coach Jordi Vinyals had criticised the players for lacking in “values of responsibility, intensity, solidarity and humility” in March in an attempt to spark his players into action and avoid relegation.

However, he was clearly unsuccessful as the B team remain rooted to the bottom of the Segunda Division and were mathematically relegated with a game to go in 2014-15's campaign.

The Catalans' reserve team plummeting into the Segunda B divisions – where Real Madrid Castilla also feature, having been relegated last season – is a far cry from the incredible success being enjoyed by the first team.

In a sharp contrast, Luis Enrique's men are on the verge of treble glory as they prepare for the Champions League final against Juventus next Saturday having triumphed in the Copa del Rey and lifted La Liga.

The other teams to follow Barca B into the third tier are Sabadell and Recreativo Huelva, while one of Racing Santander and Osasuna will also be relegated in the final matchday depending on results.

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid vice-president confirms Benitez deal

rafaelbenitez-cropped_1wiffmzrui2ix18po9exzpienj.jpg

May 31, 2015 13:25:59

The club official said he is looking forward to which players arrive to work under "an exceptional coach", saying the Spaniard will be one of the best in the world

Real Madrid vice-president Eduardo Fernandez de Blas has revealed the club's intention to appoint Rafael Benitez as coach, hailing him as one of the world's best.

Benitez is widely anticipated to succeed Carlo Ancelotti at the Santiago Bernabeu, after the Italian was sacked on Monday following a season in which the club missed out on the league and Champions League titles.

Fernandez de Blas is reported as telling a meeting of a Madrid members' group: "Ancelotti is an absolute phenomenon - a gentleman whom I have great affection for, and I think everyone else at Real Madrid does too.

"Until three days ago he was the best trainer in the world, as two years ago it was Jose Mourinho, and from this week onwards it will be Rafa Benitez.

"I'm excited and looking forward to July 30 to see how the best players in the world work under an exceptional coach."

The executive added that, despite his sacking, Ancelotti's reputation has been boosted by his time in the Spanish capital.

"Carlo now has more to his name than when he came, but we're here to make decisions, which we think are best for the club. We live and die by them."

Former Valencia, Liverpool, Inter and Chelsea boss Benitez announced his impending exit from Serie A side Napoli on Thursday.

Sunday's clash with Lazio will mark his final game as Napoli coach, with a place in next season's Champions League on the line.

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sevilla snare Krohn-Dehli

1 June 2015

854195header.jpg

Sevilla have completed the signing of Michael Krohn-Dehli from Celta Vigo on a two-year deal with the option for an extra 12 months.

The Denmark international has spent the past three seasons at Celta, making 108 appearances.

Sevilla have now moved to make the 31-year-old their first signing ahead of next season when they will play in the UEFA Champions League after beating Dnipro in the final of the Europa League, retaining their title in the competition.

Krohn-Delhi emerged from Ajax's famed youth academy, before returning to the Amsterdam club via a spell at RKC Waalwijk.

He struggled to make an impact in the Eredivisie, though, and returned to Denmark where he excelled for Brondby before signing for Celta in August 2012.

Postiga

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alves wants Barca extension not PSG - Blanc

1 June 2015

854073header.jpg

Paris Saint-Germain coach Laurent Blanc denied he will sign Dani Alves, claiming the Brazilian full-back wants to stay at Barcelona.

Alves' future has sparked speculation for most of this season, with the Brazil international linked with a move away from Camp Nou after he slammed club directors for saying he was "chasing money".

But while PSG are widely considered Alves' preferred destination, Blanc declared on Sunday that the French champions will not be recruiting the 32-year-old.

"I can say that Dani Alves will not come to PSG," Blanc said on beIN Sports in France.

"I don't think so. Alves' contract with Barcelona is ending and he wants to renew with them. At the end of the day, this is all a game."

Alves has claimed he will announce his future plans after Saturday's UEFA Champions League final where Barcelona face Juventus in Berlin.

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Monday June 1 2015

Messi: I want to repay Barca

By Football Espana staff

alves-messi-cdrfinal490epa_0.jpg

Lionel Messi has revealed that he wants to repay Barcelona for “everything they’ve done for me” with victory in this season’s Champions League final.

The Argentine has been at Camp Nou since 2000, when the club agreed to pay for the then-13-year-old’s growth hormone treatment on the condition he and his father moved to Spain.

Now 27, Messi feels he is obliged to continually do his best for La Blaugrana and hopes to cap off the season with European glory against Juventus on June 6.

“[The Champions League final] is a different but special game,” he said in an interview with UEFA.com.

“We suffered a lot to get into the final and we know it won’t be easy because Juventus are a great team and anything can happen.

“[Xavi Hernandez] is the best player in Spain’s history. He passes the ball wherever you want it and it was my pleasure to play alongside him on the pitch and in training.

“[Dani Alves] is the best full-back in the world. It’s very difficult to find one like him nowadays, with his desire.

“Coming [to Barca] was very important, not only for my football career but personally.

“I grew up at this club and want to do so much for them in light of everything they’ve done for me.”

ToniKroos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benitez: I'm back home & I want trophies

rafa-benitez-real-madrid-03062015_pkexfunfn6n31t25fvpwsckf1.jpg

By Enis Koylu
Jun 3, 2015 13:11:49

The new Real Madrid boss was overcome by emotion when addressing the media for the first time since being hired by Florentino Perez

New Real Madrid coach Rafael Benitez broke down in tears after sealing a return to his "home".

The former Napoli and Liverpool boss began his coaching career with Madrid's youth sides, before coaching a variety of teams in Spain and around Europe.

Following the sacking of Carlo Ancelotti, president Florentino Perez moved to bring him back to the Santiago Bernabeu and the 55-year-old is hoping to make a positive impact.

"It's an exciting day because I'm back home again," he said at his official unveiling.

"I hope to win titles and play well. This is the hardest part, when you have to speak but don't know what to say.

"It's a very exciting day for me. I promise to work with dedication. I hope we can repay the confidence placed in us."

Perez added: "The requirement in Madrid is always high and our new coach will make us stronger in our objectives, which are the dreams of Real Madrid.

"Rafa breathes football and Real Madrid. He works with passion for this sport. He is known for his brilliant preparation for matches and his great track record."

Blancos stars such as Pepe and Sergio Ramos have come to the defence of Ancelotti's record at the club and Benitez completely understands why the coach's former charges support him, while refusing to compare his planned style to the Italian's or Jose Mourinho's.

"Players should show their love for Carlo after what they've been through together," he added. "I talked with Ancelotti and I wished him the best.

"Mourinho's Madrid, or Ancelotti's Madrid? I like a Real Madrid that wins and plays well. I shouldn't try to be like other coaches, I'm thinking about the future."