• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2013-14 ║

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga: Five things to know

Friday 28 Feb 2014 8:04a.m.

cristiano-ronaldo-celebrate-1200.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo (Reuters)

By Paul Logothetis

Atletico Madrid will put its title hopes on the line when it hosts Spanish league leader Real Madrid on Sunday.

Madrid leads Atletico and Barcelona by three points.

Barcelona will be looking to rebound from a demoralizing loss at Real Sociedad when it hosts Almeria.

Here are five things to know about the 26th round of Spanish games:

KNOCK-OUT PUNCH

Real Madrid has looked unstoppable lately, stretching its unbeaten run to 27 games in all competitions following Wednesday's 6-1 rout of Schalke.

Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale are supplying the goals while Madrid's defence has kept opponents at bay. Goalkeepers Diego Lopez and Iker Casillas have shown no rust despite sharing the duties between three competitions.

"Our three forwards are so dangerous in attack," Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti said. "(Schalke) might have been Bale's best game of the season, he's showing a lot more confidence in his play."

The three Madrid forwards have combined to score 70 goals in all competitions to make Madrid the title favourite.

ON THE ROPES

A full week without football might be just the rest Atletico's players needed as their title charge has hit a bit of a slump.

Atletico lost at Osasuna 3-0 to slip three points behind Madrid, and another loss will all but keep it from breaking a Madrid-Barcelona monopoly on the league that has lasted a decade.

"We know how important the derby is," Atletico striker Diego Costa said.

"If we lose, winning the league will be much more difficult. But I don't think we ever thought of ourselves as title contenders."

Atletico has lost twice in three games since it went to the top the league for the first time since 1996.

GOOD LUCK

Despite a poor effort in losing at Sociedad 3-1 last weekend, Barcelona is likely looking forward to Almeria's visit following all the scrutiny it has been under because of Neymar's transfer drama.

Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino has been under pressure, too, and the Argentine will be absent from the touchline at the Camp Nou due to a ban.

"We're training hard. Because of Saturday's loss we're all upset with ourselves," said Barcelona midfielder Xavi Hernandez, who did not play at Sociedad. "We know it's the moment of truth, we can't afford any more slip-ups."

Barcelona has never lost in 11 meetings with Almeria, winning nine of those by a combined score of 31-1.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE HUNT

With Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico looking almost certain to finish in the top three, that leaves one qualifying place left for next year's Champions League.

Athletic Bilbao has held fourth place for a good chunk of the season, with Sociedad and Villarreal only four points behind the Basques.

Athletic hosts Granada on Friday, which means Sociedad will go to Sevilla and Villarreal welcomes last-place Real Betis on Sunday knowing exactly what results they will need to keep up the chase.

"We're involved in a really tough fight, against very difficult rivals who show they won't allow any type of advantage," Villarreal goalkeeper Sergio Asenjo said.

TEETHING ISSUES

Athletic's promising season has seen coach Ernesto Valverde employ a variety of experienced players, new arrivals and youth team standouts.

One of those, Guillermo Fernandez, was left with a lifelong reminder of his maiden Spanish league goal in the Basques' win at Betis on Sunday.

Fernandez headed home on his first touch as a second-half substitute and, in the ensuing frenzy to celebrate, the 20-year-old forward emerged without a tooth.

That won't keep Fernandez from keeping a place in Bilbao's team, however, with forward Ibai Gomez expected to be sidelined for two months by injury.

"He has an instinct for scoring goals and that's a great thing since we're in need of goals," Valverde said.

Full Time score : Athletic Bilbao 4 Granada 0

AP

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti critical of ´violent´ Atletico

2 March 2014

421643header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti hit out at "violent" city rivals Atletico after an ill-tempered 2-2 derby draw on Sunday.

The visitors took a third-minute lead at Vicente Calderon when Karim Benzema prodded Angel Di Maria’s cross home, but Atletico fought back in what was a fiery encounter.

Diego Simeone's side were unlucky not be awarded several penalties as Diego Costa was brought down more than once in the box, but each time referee Carlos Delgado ruled in favour of Real.

Goals from Koke and Gabi gave Atleti a 2-1 lead at the break, but Cristiano Ronaldo netted an 82nd-minute leveller to snatch a share of the spoils - simultaneously extending Real's unbeaten run to 28 matches in all competitions and denying Atletico a first La Liga double over their neighbours in 63 years.

But afterwards, Ancelotti was more concerned with a less-than-flattering assessment of the hosts, who saw coach German Burgos sent to the stands for confronting referee Delgado in the second half.

"Atletico tried to play a violent match, not our style," said the Italian. "(Our response) was just to think only of playing and not other things.

"We must take the draw. It was a difficult game. We tried to play but it was not so easy. Our second half was very good. In the first half, after (Karim Benzema's) goal, we tried to defend high up but we let Atletico back into the game.

"Atletico had more difficulty in the second half because we moved the ball across our front line, left to right. We were not patient in the first half. They got tired in the second.

"We lost the ball too easily in the first half, that's why Atletico could get into the game."

Real defender Sergio Ramos added that he and his team-mates became complacent after taking the lead, but he was happy to earn a draw.

Ramos told Canal Plus: "Maybe after the early goal we relaxed a bit too much, but after the break we came out with more intensity.

"We've got a point, but at the end of the day we're having a great season. This is a very difficult stadium to play in.

"Our first 15 minutes were great, but then we relaxed a bit and they took their chances. After that though, we improved."

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Khedira boost for Real Madrid, Germany

2 March 2014

421542header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti is hopeful that injured midfielder Sami Khedira will return to action before the end of the season.

The Germany international suffered an anterior cruciate ligament tear during his country's 1-1 draw with Italy in November, making him a doubt for the FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

Germany team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt stated at the time that Khedira's World Cup hopes were not over, and now club boss Ancelotti claims that the 26-year-old could play a part in the latter stages of Real's campaign.

"His recovery work is going very well. He has started running after three and a half months," Ancelotti explained.

"Everything is going well and I think that in 15 or 20 days he can be in Madrid working with the team. We hope he can play before the end of the season."

Ancelotti's side remain in the running for the treble, having moved top of La Liga, booked their place in the Copa del Rey final and won 6-1 against Schalke in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League tie.

Despite having the likes of Luka Modric, Xabi Alonso, Isco and Asier Illarramendi available to choose from in midfield, Ancelotti is eager for Khedira to return.

"He's a player this team needs, because he's very important," the Italian continued.

"Making a decision without Khedira isn't easy. With Khedira it'll be even harder."

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Simeone: Title chances ´still alive´

2 March 2014

421646header.jpg

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone is adamant his side are still in the Liga title race despite a 2-2 draw with city rivals Real on Sunday.

After initially falling behind to Karim Benzema's third-minute goal, Atletico forged a 2-1 lead at half-time thanks to strikes from Koke and Gabi.

They were denied several penalties by referee Carlos Delgado as Diego Costa looked to have been tripped by Sergio Ramos, Pepe and Alvaro Arbeloa, but each time Real escaped.

With time running out, Cristiano Ronaldo stole a late point for the visitors, denying Atletico a first La Liga derby double in 63 years.

The result left Atletico three points behind their neighbours in the race for the summit, but Simeone is still confident his side are serious title contenders.

"We went behind but reacted really well," he said. "We started to play between the lines, press them on the shoulder and create chances.

"In the second half we were good. We had opportunities but couldn't find the final pass to make it 3-1.

"The team put in great work. I'm proud of the squad.

"What counts is the final result. The team showed today it's alive (the title race). That might bother some, but we're still alive.

"Three points off the top with 12 games left is very good."

Simeone would not talk about the performance of referee Delgado, however, stubbornly making no comment on the official - who sent home coach German Burgos to the stands after a second-half confrontation - despite being pushed for an assessment.

"No, no, I'm sorry - I'm not saying anything about the referee," he added.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barca assistant: Title ´depends on us´

3 March 2014

421706header.jpg

Assistant coach Jorge Pautasso maintained Barcelona's title hopes remain in their own hands after a 4-1 win over Almeria.

The win over Almeria, and the Madrid derby between Atletico and Real finishing in a 2-2 draw on Sunday, has left Barca just a point off top spot.

With 12 league games remaining, Real (64 points) lead Barcelona (63) and Atletico (61) in the title race.

With matches against both their title rivals still to come, Pautasso said top spot would remain up for grabs until season's end.

"The only important thing here is that we have won. We are close to our opponents," he told a news conference in place of coach Gerardo Martino.

"Of course the result of the (Madrid) derby is good for us. Atletico took a point, which is bad, but we are closer now to Real Madrid.

"I think we still have chances to catch them. It depends on us. I think the title won't be decided until the end of the season, with the three teams fighting close."

Alexis Sanchez tucked away a rebound at the back post to give Barca a ninth-minute lead before Lionel Messi curled in a stunning 30-yard free-kick.

The La Liga relegation battlers hit back through an Angel Trujillo header in the 27th minute, but Barca sealed the points late on.

Carles Puyol scrambled in a goal and Xavi struck from range in the final eight minutes to give Barca three points.

"The first half was impeccable, we constantly created chances, and we did well to recover possession," Pautasso said.

"We had 10 clear chances to score, but in the second half we lacked depth, despite having the ball.

"In the end, however, we closed out the game. The goal margin we won by is justified."

Pautasso is worried about Barca's defending from set-pieces after conceding from a corner to Almeria, who are three points clear of the bottom three.

"We are a short team and that makes aerial plays difficult for us," he said.

"In some situations we use a zone marking system, in other we mark man-to-man. Our rivals take advantage when they get set-pieces.

"We will try to improve in this regard and we will try to avoid conceding risky free-kicks and corners."

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Puyol to leave Barcelona at end of season

BARCELONA Tue Mar 4, 2014 5:00pm GMT

r

Barcelona's Carles Puyol is surrounded by photographers before announcing his retirement at Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper in Sant Joan Despi near Barcelona March 4, 2014. Barcelona captain Puyol will leave the club at the end of the season following a persistent battle with a knee injury, he said on Tuesday. REUTERS/Gustau Nacarino

(Reuters) - Barcelona captain Carles Puyol will leave the club at the end of the season following a persistent battle with a knee injury, he said on Tuesday.

The 35-year-old defender, a fans' favourite for his battling displays, has been restricted to just five league games this season and has decided to end his time at the Nou Camp.

Puyol, who made his Barca debut in 1999, has the second highest number of appearances for the club with 593, only bettered by Xavi Hernandez.

"I will leave FC Barcelona at the end of the season," he told a news conference.

"I have told the club the situation and we are both in agreement that it is the right decision. I will rescind the two years left on my contract.

"The injuries I have been suffering from have been worse than I expected and have not allowed me to play at my level."

He added: "It is not finished today, there are three months of the championship left where those that know me are aware that I will not take it easy and I will fight to the end to try and help the team achieve their objectives this season."

Puyol came through the Barcelona youth system, La Masia, and was given his debut under coach Louis van Gaal.

He has been club captain for the past 10 years, but has been restricted in the last two seasons by knee injuries.

He has won 21 titles at the club and captained the famed 'six cups' side of 2009 that won all the competitions open to them during that calendar year.

With Spain he won Euro 2008 and the 2010 World Cup but injury cost him a place in the victorious Euro 2012 squad.

Spanish media have reported the Catalan could continue his playing career at a less-demanding level, such as Major League Soccer, but he has yet to give any hint of his next move.

"I don't know what I will do after June 30, what I am sure about is that after the season I will need to rest," he added. "I have had four years without a break due to injuries. After that we will see."

(Reporting by Tim Hanlon, editing by Ed Osmond and Toby Davis)

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spanish government minister backs Barca over Neymar

By Tim Hanlon
BARCELONA Tue Mar 4, 2014 1:06pm GMT

r

Barcelona's Neymar (R) and Alexis Sanchez celebrate a goal against Almeria during their Spanish first division soccer match at Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Albert Gea

(Reuters) - Barcelona should be treated with more respect, Spanish sports minister Miguel Cardenal said on Tuesday following criticism of the Catalan club for their handling of the Neymar transfer,

Brazilian striker Neymar was signed last June to add to Barca's rich array of talent and was also intended as a show strength as they beat off competition from around Europe including bitter rivals Real Madrid.

However, it has already cost Sandro Rosell the club presidency and while Barca initially claimed the cost of the transfer was 57.1 million euros it is now closer to 100m.

Following Rosell's exit the club admitted that the player had cost 86.2 million euros and then after being charged with tax fraud last month they agreed to pay a further 13.5m euros to the Spanish treasury.

The Spanish champions reiterated that they did not consider they had committed any offence and said they had made the payment due to a "possible difference of interpretation" about how much they owed.

Barca have been criticised by fans and the media in Spain but have found an ally in Cardenal, the Secretary of State for Sport.

"Barca are the team of Xavi, Puyol, Busquets, Pique, Cesc, Victor Valdes, Pedro.... and Iniesta, who scored the goal that made history (to win the 2010 World Cup), who brought so much joy and brought the world to our feet with our style of football," he wrote in the Spanish newspaper El Pais.#

"As long as there is no conviction, and we are at the very early stages of a case where no one can foresee the outcome, Barca have reason to maintain their stance that they acted within the law and met the necessary rules.

"They have shown themselves repeatedly to be willing to comply scrupulously with their obligations in case there has been any error."

He added: "I am completely against the disproportionate response that has taken place recently. I would not be doing my job correctly if I did not speak out when an emblem that has given so much to our sport as is the case here is attacked and accused."

His decision to publicly back Barca was questioned by Carlos Martinez Gorriaran, spokesman for the UP and D party.

"I think it is very strange that a Secretary of State decides to defend a football club that is being investigated," he told Spanish Congress.

"As a member of the government he should dedicate himself to guaranteeing the legal process."

(editing by Justin Palmer)

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Varane best defender in the world, says Mourinho

375902_heroa.jpg

Mar 6, 2014 12:46:00 PM

The ex-Madrid boss has nothing but praise for his former protege, while he also expects Neymar and Eden Hazard to shine at the World Cup

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho believes that Real Madrid youngster Raphael Varane is arguably the best defender in the world.

The Portuguese, who left the Santiago Bernabeu for Stamford Bridge last summer, made the French youngster a regular in his starting XI last term.

Varane earned widespread praise for his composed defensive performances and Mourinho has nothing but good memories of the centre-back.

Indeed, after being asked who were the young players to watch at the World Cup after being unveiled as Yahoo's global ambassador for football 2014, the Blues boss stated: "I would say [Eden] Hazard for sure, Neymar and Varane.

"I think Varane is the best central defender in the world. He is still young, but I think he's the best. Already, yes. I think he's the best defender."

Varane has made just six La Liga appearances so far this term as a knee injury kept him sidelined for the majority of the first half of the season but is expected to be named in France's squad for Brazil 2014.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Madrid players were too busy queuing in front of the mirror, says Mourinho

372977_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Mar 6, 2014 11:02:00 AM

The 51-year-old Portuguese was not impressed with his players' attitude during his time at the Santiago Bernabeu outfit

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has hit out at Real Madrid players as he feels they cared more about their public appearance than about winning trophies.

The Portuguese coach left los Blancos for Chelsea last summer after three years in charge of the Santiago Bernabeu side and he was not impressed by the attitude shown by his players during his time at the club.

"Lots of times at Real Madrid, the players would be queuing in front of the mirror before the game while the referee waited for them in the tunnel," Mourinho told Esquire.

"But that’s how society is now. Young people care a lot about this: they are twentysomething and I am 51 and if I want to work with kids I have to understand their world.

"I’m a manager since 2000, so I’m in my second generation of players.

"What I feel is that before, players were trying to make money during their career, be rich at the end of their career.

"But, in this moment, the people who surround them try to make them rich before they start their career."

Mourinho won one La Liga title, the Copa del Rey and a Supercopa de Espana during his three years at Madrid.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Milan linked with Real keeper Lopez

Milan could make an approach at the end of the season to Real Madrid for Diego Lopez, reports in Italy have said.

FootballEspana – Thurs, Mar 6, 2014

1003029-16276435-640-360.jpg

AS quotes Tuttosport as saying the Rossoneri will be in the market for a goalkeeper to replace former Atletico Madrid custodian Christian Abbiati, who will turn 37 very shortly and, as such, is considered to be in the final stages of his career.

Lopez is Madrid’s first choice for League matches but hands the gloves over to Iker Casillas for the Copa del Rey and often the Champions League.

Coach Carlo Ancelotti inherited the situation from his predecessor, Jose Mourinho, but has described it as “abnormal,” suggesting he is open to resolving the dilemma at the end of the season.

But Milan could face competition from Tottenham Hotspur to sign Lopez, who moved to Santiago Bernabeu from Villarreal in January 2013.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Buffon: Casillas in ‘peculiar’ spot

Gianluigi Buffon believes the situation of Iker Casillas at Real Madrid is a strange one for such a talented goalkeeper.

FootballEspana – Wed, Mar 5, 2014 10:35 GMT

1182975-24745597-640-360.jpg

Casillas has lost his place as Los Blancos’ first choice for La Liga games but is called on for the Copa del Rey and the Champions League.

Speaking at a press conference prior to Italy’s friendly with Spain, Buffon admitted his surprise at Casillas’ problems at club level.

“I know [Casillas] from way back,” Buffon said.

“It’s a peculiar case. But you don’t measure goalkeepers for the amount of games they play but for their quality. He’ll come back stronger.”

[Spain v Italy - 21:00 LIVE]

Buffon declined to comment on who he felt was the best goalkeeper in the world today, insisting that there are a number of candidates and finding an objective opinion is impossible.

“Saying one goalkeeper is the best doesn’t deserve an answer,” the Juventus custodian continued.

“For the Italians it will be me, for the Spaniards, Iker, for others [Petr] Cech or [Manuel] Neuer.

“There are times when someone is playing better, then someone else. Consistency is key.”

Buffon added that while he was looking forward to playing La Roja, he does not view the fixture as a chance avenge Italy’s defeat in the Euro 2012 final.

“It’s an important game but it’s a friendly. You can’t compare it to a competitive match,” he said.

“We want to continue getting stronger as a team. It’s not a revenge match, just a chance to beat a great rival.”

Read the original article on Football Espana - The ultimate website for English-speaking fans of Spanish football

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barca will buy to replace Puyol

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has confirmed the club will go into the transfer market to replace Carles Puyol.

FootballEspana – Wed, Mar 5, 2014 08:58 GMT

1195272-24979480-640-360.jpg

Puyol announced on Tuesday that he was leaving Camp Nou at the end of this season and speaking on TV3, Bartomeu paid tribute to the departing captain.

“I’m sad for what it means for Puyol,” Bartomeu said.

“But I’m happy with the path he has taken at this club. I don’t know what he’ll do in the future but he’s welcome to return to Barca.

“His spirit and determination would teach the younger players well.

“If this was America we’d retire his shirt number and hang it high in Camp Nou.”

Bartomeu added that no one was present at Puyol’s press conference at the request of the man himself, and that Puyol told the Barca hierarchy last week that he wanted to leave.

“There are no central defenders at the club that can replace Puyol,” Bartomeu added.

“So we will look. [There will be two signings] - a centre-back and a goalkeeper.”

Bartomeu also confirmed the club’s intention to retain Tata Martino for at least next season, despite not yet speaking with the coach about his future.

The president also insisted no offer to rename Camp Nou has been received, and he will not consider his position should the members vote on renovating Camp Nou go against him.

“This is a proposal of the club so whatever happens, the policy will continue,” Bartomeu said.

“Barca is a living club which is constantly updated and we do it because it’s a necessity. By 2021 we will have the most modern facilities in the world.”

Read the original article on Football Espana - The ultimate website for English-speaking fans of Spanish football

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Whitecaps seal Morales deal

5 March 2014

427666header.jpg

Vancouver Whitecaps have confirmed the signing of Malaga midfielder Pedro Morales pending receipt of an International Transfer Certificate.

The Chile international has featured 17 times for Malaga this season, scoring once, and will move to BC Place on a free transfer to become their Designated Player.

Morales, 28, lists Universidad de Chile and Dinamo Zagreb among his former clubs, and Whitecaps head coach Carl Robinson is eager to see his new signing in action in the MLS.

"Pedro is an exciting attacking player and we are thrilled to have him join our club," Robinson told the club's official website.

"He is a natural number 10 who will bring a creative flare to our attack and is someone the supporters will enjoy watching."

Morales has three goals from 11 international caps and made 22 league appearances during his two seasons in the Spanish top flight with Malaga - scoring four times.

Robinson's Whitecaps get their MLS campaign under way on Sunday against New York Red Bulls at BC Place.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zubizarreta: Valdes replacement practically signed

5 March 2014

427737header.jpg

Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has revealed the club are close to signing a replacement for the departing Victor Valdes.

The experienced goalkeeper announced in May that he will leave Camp Nou at the end of the season when his contract expires, ending his lengthy association with Barca, with whom the 32-year-old has won six La Liga titles and the UEFA Champions League three times.

Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Pepe Reina have both been linked with a move to the Catalan giants and while Zubizarreta is confident that a new first-choice stopper will be announced soon, he has stopped short of naming Valdes' successor.

"I already know the name of the goalkeeper who is going to replace Valdes and he's practically already signed," he told Catalunya Radio.

"We just have to give it a little more time, before we make the announcement."

Zubizarreta, himself a former Barca goalkeeper, expects head coach Gerardo Martino to have a busy close-season after Carles Puyol announced that he would also leave at the end of the current campaign.

"We knew that Victor Valdes wasn't going to stay, now we know that Carles Puyol isn't going to either," he added.

"They have been two obvious references in our squad.

"Just taking these two players into account, I would say that it's already now more than the tweaks we had envisaged."

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Puyol would be welcome in MLS, says Henry

6 March 2014

430454header.jpg

Thierry Henry would welcome that former team-mate Carles Puyol to the MLS after the Spaniard revealed his intention to leave Barcelona.

Veteran Spain international Puyol announced on Tuesday that his contract at Camp Nou, where he has spent his entire career, will be rescinded at the end of the season.

The 35-year-old has yet to decide where he will play next season, but is unlikely to be short of honours having won six La Liga titles, three UEFA Champions Leagues, the FIFA World Cup and UEFA European Championship during his glittering career.

Henry played with Puyol at Barca between 2007 and 2010, helping the Catalan club to success in the 2009 Champions League before leaving to join the New York Red Bulls.

And the Frenchman feels Puyol's presence would be a boost for football in the United States.

"He (Puyol) is an intelligent person and I am sure that he knows what he wants to do," Henry said in quotes reported by the Spanish media.

"If he wants to come and play in the United States then he would be very welcome.

"Should he want to come it would be great. It would be good for the league because it is always good to have players like him."

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Casillas praises form of Lopez

7 March 2014

430557header.jpg

Iker Casillas believes the form of Diego Lopez has played a huge part in Real Madrid sitting top of La Liga with 12 games to go.

Lopez has been first-choice goalkeeper under head coach Carlo Ancelotti this season, restricting Casillas to 15 starts in the Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League.

The 32-year-old has no complaints about Ancelotti's decision and insists Lopez's 10 clean sheets in 2013-14, coupled with only conceding an average of a goal a game, validate the Italian's team selection.

"So far, the gaffer has opted for Diego Lopez in La Liga and we are leaders thanks in no small part to his efforts," Casillas told Marca. "I, when I play, try to do the best I can.

"You have to follow the manager's orders.

"Of course, everyone wants more minutes.

"I, at this moment, as I said, respect the manager's decision, and if he says cup and Champions League, I'm happy with that and (will) try to do my best for the team."

Despite a lack of first-team action, Casillas remains Spain number one ahead of the FIFA World Cup, but he insists his focus is solely on helping Madrid win trophies and will only turn his attentions to the tournament in Brazil at the end of the season.

"We have four months remaining until we the World Cup, the reality now is the club," he added.

"If we do well and get the tenth (Champions League title), many players in the squad will be in the World Cup (but) currently have to think about the club."

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Promising weekend for Real, Barca

5 March 2014

429969header.jpg

Real Madrid and Barcelona will look to prolong winning streaks over Levante and Real Valladolid respectively in La Liga this weekend.

The Bernabeu-based side have won their past four matches against Levante, including 5-1 and 4-2 wins the past two times they have welcomed them to Madrid.

Carlo Ancelotti's men need to bounce back after a 2-2 draw with rivals and title challengers Atletico Madrid at their last start but should chalk up a victory on Sunday to preserve their advantage over second-placed Barcelona.

Gerardo Martino's men are one point in arrears of Real, and can maintain the pressure on the leaders if they take all three points from their trip to Valladolid, a side they have beaten eight times in succession.

Barca will go provisionally top of the table should they avoid defeat on Saturday, with Real kicking off 24 hours later.

Atletico Madrid, three points behind Real, are on the road at Celta de Vigo, who have not lost at home in seven matches.

Celta have won four and drawn three at their Estadio de Balaidos venue, meaning Diego Simeone's men have work to do if they are to break down the hosts and end a two-match winless run.

Front-runners for the fourth and final Champions League spot, Athletic Bilbao travel to Valencia on Sunday.

The Basque outfit are hovering in the unusual position of being comfortably fourth, six points clear of fifth-placed Villarreal but some 11 points behind Atletico in third.

The other Sunday fixture sees Almeria, three points above the drop zone, host seventh-placed Sevilla, while on Monday, Osasuna and Malaga go head to head and Real Sociedad - who occupy a Europa League spot in sixth - take on relegation-placed Rayo Vallecano.

Other Saturday clashes see Villarreal on the road at Granada, Real Betis welcoming Getafe and Espanyol hosting Elche.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Real Valladolid v Barcelona

6 March 2014

430434header.jpg

After a run of one win in 10 league matches, there are few teams struggling Real Valladolid would like to face less than Barcelona.

However, it is the reigning La Liga champions who visit Estadio Jose Zorrilla on Saturday, when Gerardo Martino's men will be confident of climbing to the top of the division - at least overnight.

With Real Madrid not playing until Sunday, Barca can go two points clear at the summit, but the Camp Nou outfit's form has become far more difficult to predict in recent weeks.

Barca - currently two points ahead of third-placed Atletico Madrid - got their season off to a flyer, winning 16 of their opening 18 league matches.

However, Barca have now won just four of their last eight in La Liga, raising doubts over the club's title-winning credentials this time around.

Despite a shaky record of late, Valladolid are a side who will hold no fear for Barca, with the Catalans having registered eight consecutive victories against the relegation strugglers.

A tally 74 of goals places Barcelona at the top of the goalscoring charts for the five major European leagues, while their total of 15 different goalscorers puts them second behind Arsenal and Ajax.

The big news at Barcelona this week has been the announcement that club captain Carles Puyol is to leave at the end of the season.

The 35-year-old defender has enjoyed an extremely successful career with the Catalan club, winning six La Liga titles and three UEFA Champions League crowns, but has been plagued by injury problems this term.

That said, Puyol played a full 90 minutes in Sunday's 4-1 victory over Almeria and even got his name on the scoresheet seven minutes from time, but is reportedly not in contention to play this weekend.

Despite the quality that Barca possess, Juan Ignacio Martinez believes his charges can spring an upset.

"We know it will be difficult, very difficult, but we have more options at home," he is quoted as saying by the club's official website. "It is essential to look at ourselves, take the few chances...and compete for 90 minutes."

Jonathan dos Santos (knee) remains sidelined for Barcelona, while Gerard Pique (calf) is a doubt.

Jeffren (hamstring) is likely to miss out for the hosts.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Celta Vigo v Atletico Madrid

6 March 2014

430465header.jpg

Atletico Madrid have fallen to the bottom of the pile in the three-way chase for the Liga title but will want to keep pace by beating Celta Vigo.

Diego Simeone's men sit third in the Spanish top flight, two points adrift of second-placed Barcelona and three points off city rivals and leaders Real Madrid.

However, Atletico's title charge has waned in recent weeks as they have picked up just one win from their last four league fixtures, while they also conceded a late equaliser to miss out on victory against Real on Sunday.

Saturday's trip to Vigo marks the beginning of a series of very winnable fixtures for the men from the Spanish capital, who face Espanyol, Real Betis and Granada before the end of March.

Atleti picked up a 2-1 win when the sides met in Madrid in October, and are unbeaten in the last five meetings between the two.

Diego Costa netted both goals on that occasion, before Nolito found the back of the net 19 minutes from time for a Celta consolation.

The Vigo outfit saw a five-game unbeaten run brought to an end by Elche last time out, but will be keen to get back to winning ways in their charge for a place in the top half, and Nolito believes that his side have the capabilities to outwit Atleti.

"They're a brilliant team, they're competing against Real Madrid and Barcelona for La Liga, which gives them enormous merit," he is quoted as saying by Faro De Vigo. "We've got to be very careful and focused.

"We need to show more intensity than they do, because if you're not intense enough against a great team like them, you've no chance.

"In the end though, it's 11 against 11 and even though we know it's going to be really difficult, we’ll be going out there to win, even if we can grab it in the final minute."

Atleti are without full-back Javier Manquillo (neck), who has taken his first steps towards making a return to training, while defender Rafinha (toe) is a doubt for the hosts and forward Mario Bermejo (thigh) could be back in contention.