• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2013-14 ║

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rakitic wary of Sevilla away-day slump

5 December 2013

402844header.jpg

Sevilla midfielder Ivan Rakitic is determined to avoid a return to the club's away-day woes.

Unai Emery's side ended a winless run on the road stretching back more than a year when they beat Espanyol last month, and followed it up with a 2-1 victory at Granada on Sunday.

A home win over city rivals Real Betis in between has lifted Sevilla up to eighth in La Liga and Croatia international Rakitic is keen to use the momentum going into the mid-season break.

"Now we are playing to improve further and to take another step forward, as every team does, including the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid," he said.

"After a while not winning away, we have now won twice in the last two attempts. But, nobody can relax.

"The derby win over Betis was very important for the following the game against Granada, because with these victories, the fans are going crazy.

"We are happy with how things are going but we have to continue as we are so as to continue experiencing this.

"Last year we had a slump and we do not want that to happen again. With an eye on what happened last year, we have to remain focused."

Rakitic has made 14 appearances in the league this season, scoring seven goals.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo threatens to boycott Ballon d'Or

334833_heroa.jpg

Dec 4, 2013 10:33:00 AM

The Madrid star refused to comment on the Uefa chief's latest remarks and has hinted he will not go to the award ceremony in January

Cristiano Ronaldo has suggested he may boycott the Ballon d'Or following Uefa president Michel Platini comments on Tuesday.

The European football chief joked that the award's voting deadline was extended for the sake of the Real Madrid forward, but some Spanish outlets claimed that the Frenchman was being serious with his remarks.

Ronaldo refused to respond to Platini's comments, while suggesting he may not go to the ceremony on January 13 in Zurich and instead stay in Madrid or go to Portugal.

"I do not think that [Platini] was trying to provoke me," the 28-year-old told reporters in Madeira, where he is enjoying a few days' rest and preparing for the opening of his own personal museum. "I will not respond to his comments.

"On the day of the Ballon d'Or ceremony I may be in Spain or in Zurich... or in Madeira."

The Portuguese winger has missed the last two games for his club having picked up a thigh injury in November, after starting each of the Blancos' opening 18 games this season.

He is currently the bookmakers' favourite to win the upcoming Ballon d'Or, ahead of fellow frontrunners Franck Ribery and Lionel Messi.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wednesday December 4 2013

‘I’ve had offers to leave Atleti, but…’

By Football Espana staff

oliver-training490ai_0.jpg

Oliver Torres has revealed that he has had ‘offers to leave’ Atletico Madrid, but that he would not change clubs or working with Diego Simeone for anything.

The midfield talent currently stands on the edge of the first team squad this season and is the subject of much excitement at the Vicente Calderon for the future.

For the 19-year-old, work under Coach Simeone has him feeling he is moving in the right direction and that Atleti is the club for him for life.

“Simeone has always supported me. I remember that at first he told me to play like I was with the youth team, to enjoy the most of each game,” Oliver has mused this week in an interview with Sportium.

“He has asked me to move much, to press and fight. He is very on top of me and follows with interest the work of the youth sector. I owe him much, I do not want to disappoint him.

“I have had offers to leave, but I would not change Atletico for the world. My dream was always to debut with the first team in a competitive match and now that I have done so I just want to play a lot of games here.

“Hopefully I can retire here. I feel very much part of the club.

“Being surrounded by players of great quality helps you to progress. The important thing is to keep growing as a player.

“I believe my situation is being managed quite well. Every day that passes I feel like a better player. I like my style and the way that I am.”

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Madrid & Bayern Munich head FIFPro defender nominations

338529_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle161
Dec 4, 2013 1:56:00 PM

Marcelo, Sergio Ramos, Raphael Varane and Pepe form the Blancos contingent, while the Bavarian quartet consists of David Alaba, Jerome Boateng, Dante and Philipp Lahm

Real Madrid and Bayern Munich both have four representatives apiece on the shortlist of defenders for Fifa's FIFPro World XI for 2013.

Los Blancos quartet Marcelo, Sergio Ramos, Raphael Varane and Pepe are all nominated, as are Bayern Munich's treble-winners David Alaba, Jerome Boateng, Dante and Philipp Lahm.

Both Liga champions Barcelona and Europa League winners Chelsea have three contenders each. The Blaugrana are represented by Jordi Alba, Dani Alves and Gerard Pique, while David Luiz, Ashley Cole and Branislav Ivanovic make up the Blues contingent.

Manchester City contribute two candidates in the form Argentine full-back Pablo Zabaleta and Belgium centre-half Vincent Kompany.

Elsewhere, Nemanja Vidic is Manchester United's sole representative, while Paris Saint-Germain's Brazilian defender Thiago Silva, Borussia Dortmund centre-half Mats Hummels and Everton left-back Leighton Baines also make the cut.

There is not a single player from Serie A on the 20-strong shortlist.

Iker Casillas featured among the goalkeepers nominated for the FIFPro team on Monday. The 15 midfielders and 15 forwards in contention will be unveiled on December 6 and 9, respectively, with the final XI set to be announced at the Fifa Ballon d'Or award ceremony in Zurich on January 13.

FIFPro World XI Shortlist of Defenders: David Alaba (Austria, Bayern Munich); Jordi Alba (Spain, Barcelona); Dani Alves (Brazil, Barcelona); Leighton Baines (England, Everton); Jerome Boateng (Germany, Bayern Munich); Ashley Cole (England, Chelsea); Dante (Brazil, Bayern Munich); Mats Hummels (Germany, Borussia Dortmund); Branislav Ivanovic (Serbia, Chelsea); Philipp Lahm (Germany, Bayern Munich); David Luiz (Brazil, Chelsea); Vincent Kompany (Belgium, Manchester City); Marcelo (Brazil, Real Madrid); Pepe (Portugal, Real Madrid); Gerard Pique (Spain, Barcelona); Sergio Ramos (Spain, Real Madrid); Thiago Silva (Brazil, Paris Saint-Germain); Raphael Varane (France, Real Madrid); Nemanja Vidic (Serbia, Manchester United); Pablo Zabaleta (Argentina, Manchester City).

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Karanka rejected Mourinho, Chelsea

6 December 2013

403194header.jpg

Aitor Karanka turned down an assistant gig under Jose Mourinho at Chelsea to eventually take over as Middlesbrough manager.

Karanka was assistant coach under Mourinho at Real Madrid and left the Spanish club around the same time as the Portuguese returned to Chelsea.

But instead of staying with Mourinho and heading to Stamford Bridge, Karanka went his own way and eventually replaced Tony Mowbray at Middlesbrough last month.

"I arrived at (Real Madrid) training one day and he (Mourinho) kept looking over at me. Suddenly he asked why I wasn't responding to his text messages," Karanka told La Sexta's 'Jugones' programme.

"I looked at my phone and there was a message from him asking 'if I go to (Chelsea) would you like to come with me?'

"At first, I was all for it but later I thought about it and decided against it as it was another league, another country."

Karanka must have changed his mind regarding moving to England as he joined Middlesbrough in the Championship on November 13 and the 40-year-old has led the club to one win from three games in charge.

The Spaniard credits Mourinho for teaching him a lot about being a head coach.

"With Mourinho every minute is a learning experience," Karanka said

"He is always three or four steps ahead, like during the (Champions League) match (last season) at Old Trafford when Nani was sent off and he immediately brought on Modric."

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sevilla president sentenced to 7 years in prison

Friday 06 Dec 2013 8:25a.m.

Jose_Maria_Del_Nido-1200.jpg

Jose Maria Del Nido (Reuters file)

A Spanish court has sentenced the president of Sevilla's football club to seven years in prison for embezzlement and corruption.

Madrid's Supreme Court upheld most of a 2011 ruling by a lesser court that found Jose Maria del Nido guilty of involvement in the embezzlement of public funds in the southern resort town of Marbella.

The Supreme Court reduced the original sentence of 7½ years by six months.

Del Nido cannot appeal the sentence, but he can ask for a government pardon.

The corruption ring centered on former mayor Julian Munoz, who in 2011 was also sentenced to 7½ years in prison.

AP

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Former Spain coach Luis Aragones retires at 75

Friday 06 Dec 2013 8:44a.m.

Luis_Aragones-1200.jpg

Luis Aragones (AAP file)

Former Spain coach Luis Aragones, the founder of the country's "tiki-taka" style of football, says he is retiring.

The 75-year-old Aragones, who last coached in 2009 at Turkish club Fenerbahce, tells Spanish online magazine Voxpopuli that "age has retired me. When I left Turkey I knew it would be difficult to continue and today it is definitive."

After coaching various Spanish clubs, Aragones took over Spain's national team in 2004 and transformed it from a perennial underachiever into the 2008 European champion.

Vicente del Bosque replaced him but maintained the ball possession and passing attack Aragones had implemented. Spain went on to win the 2010 World Cup and the 2012 European Championship.

Aragones coached Atletico Madrid, Barcelona and Sevilla, as well as other Spanish teams.

AP

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Martino will not rush Messi recovery

6 December 2013

403110header.jpg

Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino has hinted that Lionel Messi may not be fit in time for the new year.

The 26-year-old forward and four-time Ballon d'Or winner was ruled out for the rest of 2013 after tearing his hamstring in Barca's 4-1 win over Real Betis last month.

The Catalan club have slipped to consecutive defeats in Messi's absence, losing 2-1 to Ajax in the UEFA Champions League before seeing their unbeaten record in La Liga ended by Athletic Bilbao last Sunday.

Argentina international Messi is currently recuperating in his homeland and Martino insists the player will not be rushed back into action.

"He is working as planned, completing the different stages of his recovery," Martino said.

"We hope that he will be ready at the start of January, but the closer we get to the date we will see if he needs more time.

"We cannot guarantee when he will be ready; what interests us more is that he has completely recovered."

Barca have been widely criticised following their back-to-back losses, but Martino believes the recent setbacks have not affected morale in the camp.

"There are two options, that the pessimism harms us or makes us even stronger," he added.

"We are full of optimism. We need to transform that into the matches. We need to show that we are going to fight and there is a reason why we are top of the league and in the Champions League last 16.

"I don't want to say that we are not worried by losing two games, but we are not loaded by pessimism."

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo will return against Copenhagen - Ancelotti

334138_heroa.jpg

Dec 6, 2013 3:21:00 PM

The Portuguese has been out of action for the last couple of games but is set to make his comeback in Denmark, after this weekend's Copa del Rey clash with Olimpic de Xativa

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo will be fit to play in Real Madrid's final Champions League Group B game against Copenhagen on Tuesday.

The Blancos forward has been out of action since the tail end of November with a thigh injury picked up against Almeria that prevented him from partaking in a Liga clash against Valladolid and a European tie at home to Galatasaray.

The Portuguese attacker is suspended for Saturday's Copa del Rey trip to third-tier Olimpic de Xativa but Ancelotti has revealed that Ronaldo is back training and likely to feature at Parken.

"Cristiano is fine. He trained well and will play [in the Champions League] on Tuesday," Ancelotti told reporters on Friday.

"Xabi Alonso won't play tomorrow [Saturday] because playing on an artificial pitch is not good for his injury.

"We have trained well this week. We have no problems to use a strong side [on Saturday]."

Alonso has been repeatedly linked with a move away from Madrid of late but Ancelotti is not unduly worried by the speculation surrounding the former Liverpool playmaker.

"Xabi Alonso will decide his own future," the Italian added. "He is calm and I speak with him a lot."

Ancelotti spoke of his delight at the progress made in recent weeks by Gareth Bale, who joined the club for a world-record fee of €100 million during the summer.

"Bale is fitter and better than he was when he came," the ex-AC Milan boss added. "He is very happy. Bale links up well with his team-mates. He is happy and everyone else is happy with him."

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Casillas' poor form led to axe, explains Karanka

346447_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts62
Dec 6, 2013 11:47:00 AM

The Middlesbrough boss has reflected on his time at Madrid and insisted the goalkeeper's demotion had nothing to do with his relationship with Jose Mourinho

Former Real Madrid assistant coach Aitor Karanka has explained that Jose Mourinho dropped Iker Casillas because his performances were inadequate.

The Spain international, 32, lost his starting berth to Diego Lopez in 2012-13, with his supposedly poor relationship with Mourinho cited as one of the reasons for his demotion to the bench.

However, Karanka has now stressed that Casillas was dropped from the starting XI because they were unhappy with his displays, while admitting that his relationship with the goalkeeper has deteriorated as a result of last season's events.

"We thought a lot about his situation because we knew he was not just any player. We thought he should be performing better," he told La Sexta.

"I don’t know if Iker understood why he was benched. The same thing happened with [Fernando] Hierro, [Manuel] Sanchis and Raul. I think that he must have understood the situation.

"We were friends. We don’t have that relationship now because I left the club, and in all honesty, during those three years, especially towards the end, our relationship wasn’t great."

Karanka left Madrid at the end of the 2012-13 campaign and is currently in charge of Middlesbrough.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Leonardo: PSG tried to sign Ronaldo

8 December 2013

403787header.jpg

French giants Paris Saint-Germain did everything they could to sign Cristiano Ronaldo, according to former sporting director Leonardo.

Leonardo – who has also coached Inter and Milan – revealed that the Real Madrid star was previously top of the Ligue 1 outfit's list of targets.

PSG were also unsuccessful in a bid to sign Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba, but Leonardo still feels the club retain one of the best squads in the world.

"Pogba is at the level to play for PSG, of course," Leonardo told Telefoot.

"We thought of him and thought he would be a great investment because he is one of the best midfielders in the world.

"We also thought of signing Ronaldo. I did everything within the written laws to try to get him to Paris but it was impossible to make him leave Real Madrid.

"There is no other team that has the squad of the Paris Saint-Germain (though). No other team has such offensive force.

"The squad has Salvatore Sirigu, Thiago Silva, Thiago Motta, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and then came Edinson Cavani. We wanted this strong central spine. The team is ready for now and for the future."

Leonardo has also praised the efforts of PSG head coach Laurent Blanc, who he feels is vitally important to the ongoing success of the club.

Blanc took over from Carlo Ancelotti in June and has enjoyed early success, leading the club to the top of Ligue 1 and a place in the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League.

"Laurent Blanc is doing some very smart work - he brings a French perspective, which is important," Leonardo added.

"He was a great player, a world champion, someone who experienced a lot of things in Italy and in Spain. He has a global vision and that is important in football today."

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Del Nido gives up Sevilla presidency

347364_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu2
Dec 9, 2013 12:36:00 PM

The 56-year-old was last week found guilty of embezzlement and perversion of justice, so has decided to stand down in order to concentrate on his "personal situation"

Jose Maria del Nido has confirmed that he will give up the Sevilla presidency after being sentenced to seven years in jail.

The 56-year-old has been in office at the Andalusian outfit since 2002 but was last week found guilty of embezzlement and perversion of justice.

Del Nido, whose offences during his time as district lawyer for the municipality of Marbella between 1999 and 2003, voiced his regret at having to end his 27-year long association with the club.

"The day I hope would never arrive is here; the day I lose part of my heart," he said at a farewell press conference. "Since 1986, I’ve been here to serve this club.

"I’m leaving the post with a heavy heart, with sadness and with humility. When Luis Cuervas called me I was 28 years old and it was the dream of my life and since then I haven’t hesitated in my service of the club.

"The club called me in 2002 to become the president and in my first speech I said we’d get the pride back for the club. I think I’ve done that. The images of the successes will continue to play in the eyes of the Sevillistas.

"I learnt of the sentence last Thursday, though on Wednesday morning there were rumours that the sentence would go against me.

"I’ve resigned as president of the club and from all my executive roles here. I’ve no ties to Sevilla now. I’m going to devote my time to defending myself and ensuring my personal situation is as good as possible.

"I’m coping; I’ve only had one moment where I let it all get to me, with my children. This is my life."

Sevilla's success during Del Nido's reign included Copa del Rey wins in 2007 and 2010 and back-to-back Uefa Cup victories in 2006 and 2007.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo returns to Real Madrid squad

9 December 2013

403968header.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo has been named in Real Madrid's squad for their final UEFA Champions League group stage fixture with Copenhagen.

The Portugal international has been absent for the past three fixtures in all competitions after suffering a thigh injury in Real's 5-0 drubbing of Almeria on November 23.

But manager Carlo Ancelotti revealed last week that the 28-year-old had been progressing well in training and was set to play in the Group B encounter.

It means Ronaldo will now have the opportunity to break the record for goals scored in the Champions League group stages in a single season.

The former Manchester United forward currently has eight goals, which equals the tally also reached by Ruud van Nistelrooy, Hernan Crespo and Filippo Inzaghi in previous campaigns.

Paris Saint-Germain forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic has also bagged eight times in the pool stage, but he has been rested for their fixture with Benfica with qualification already assured.

Real have an unassailable lead in their section and will look to complete the group stages in style against Stale Solbakken's outfit.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti plays down talk of Di Maria spat

10 December 2013

404061header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has insisted there has been no rift between himself and Angel Di Maria.

Reports have indicated that the Argentina international is keen to leave the Bernabeu after he refused to acknowledge Ancelotti following his substitution in a Copa del Rey draw with Segunda B side Olimpic Xatvia on Saturday.

However, Ancelotti claims he is not aware of any issue with Di Maria and is adamant the 25-year-old remains an integral member of his team.

"Di Maria hasn't talked with me or with the club," Ancelotti said.

"He is happy and calm but my office door is always open if he needs to talk.

"If he does have a problem that would be (to fix in) the summer. At this moment a problem does not exist. Di Maria is a very important player for this team."

Real head into Tuesday's UEFA Champions League clash at Copenhagen hoping to end the group stage unbeaten.

Cristiano Ronaldo is poised to return after missing his side's last three games with a thigh injury.

Speaking at a press conference that was briefly interrupted by the unveiling of a banner protesting against oil firm Gazprom's sponsorship of the Champions League, Ancelotti confirmed that Gareth Bale and Xabi Alonso will also feature in a strong Real side.

"Bale had a small problem on Friday night but then recovered and he is fine now," the Italian added. "He will play tomorrow (Tuesday) without a problem.

"Xabi Alonso the same - all the players here are ready to play. We will put out the strongest team available."

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Messi won't leave Barca as long as I'm president - Rosell

340297_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright58
Dec 12, 2013 4:09:00 PM

The Barcelona president insists it will be almost impossible for the Argentine to leave the club despite revealing there have been no discussions over a fresh deal

Barcelona are not in talks with Lionel Messi over a new contract, according to president Sandro Rosell.

Speculation has mounted that the Argentine ace is eager for an improved salary at Camp Nou to match that of summer signing Neymar, despite the player having only signed a new deal until 2018 last year.

Blaugrana vice-president Javier Faus revealed earlier this week that the club have no plans to open negotiations with the 26-year-old at present, and Rosell has now backed up those claims - though he insists there is no chance the attacker could leave the club.

"At the moment, no," he told reporters when asked if there were discussions over a new deal, before adding: "While I am president, I think it would be extremely difficult for Messi to leave the club, if not impossible."

The Barcelona board are set to decide in the new year on whether or not to implement plans to redevelop Camp Nou or construct a new stadium, but Rosell was keen to stress he would fully support whatever decision was taken.

"It'll be a good day when all ideas are presented. I will support whatever the board decides to the death," he added.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona agree 'innovative' sponsorship deal with Intel

349726_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright8
Dec 12, 2013 5:31:00 PM

The computing firm will provide technology for facilities at both Camp Nou and La Masia, while the company logo will be printed on the inside of the Blaugrana shirts

Barcelona have agreed a new sponsorship deal with computer technology firm Intel, with president Sandro Rosell describing the agreement as "innovative and pioneering."

The Liga champions will be provided with the latest computing equipment for use within both Camp Nou and the La Masia training facilities as part of the lucrative new partnership.

The iconic Intel logo will also be printed on the inside of the Blaugrana shirt, a move which the club describes as "a pioneering initiative in the world of sports advertising."

"It is a huge satisfaction for Barcelona to be able to join forces and share the values of innovation and team-work with a company of such worldwide prestige as Intel," president Sandro Rosell was quoted as saying by the club's official website.

"It will mean much more than a financial sponsorship deal, as it will also help us to become one of the most technologically advanced clubs in the world.

"Intel is at the heart of computing, it works from within, and that is why our agreement is so innovative and pioneering in the world of sports sponsorship."

Barcelona will sport the new shirt for the first time during Saturday's Liga clash with Villarreal.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Prediction: Spanish Primera Division / Levante V Elche

Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:39:57 GMT

Spanish Primera Division -- Match Time:12/14/2013 04:00 Saturday

Levante V Elche Livescore | Match Preview| Match Statistics

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEVANTE V ELCHE : 1X2 BETTING TIPS AND PREDICTIONS

Levante sit in 13th position in La Liga with 4 wins, 5 draws and 6 defeats. Form is terrible with no wins in 6 games (1 draw and 5 losses) Levante have only managed a single goal in that time while conceding 8! They have not been helped by a mounting injury list. Out is Andeas Ivanchitz, David Navarro, Christian Lell, Issam El Adoua, Hector Rodas and Papa Babawara who would all start! Elche are level on points with Levante and have an identical record of wins, draws and losses. Form is slightly better with 2 win, 2 draws and 2 defeats. Just a couple of players out for Elche too with Manu and
You have to oppose Levante here who are on a diabolical run of form. Five consecutive defeats and three of them against lower table sides. They have been decimated by injuries to key men and we have to side with Elche here. The newly promoted side have done well so far this season on limited resources and can get a result here. The price has been hammered since it went up so get on as soon as possible before all the value remains!

--

LEVANTE V ELCHE : ASIAN HANDICAP BETTING TIPS AND PREDICTIONS

The odds are shortening in Elche’s favour all the time and one the Champions League and Europa are out of the way the price will disappear as punters latch on to the injuries and poor form of hosts Levante. I cannot see the home side winning at all here and like the Elche win odds. If you want to take some insurance the Asian handicap +0.5 looks a winner. This give Elche and The Draw and looks very good indeed.

--

LEVANTE V ELCHE : TOTAL GOALS BETTING TIPS AND PREDICTIONS

A tight game this one and for me looks a low scoring away win. Levante are in terrible form and are shorn of over half their starting eleven. Five straight defeats with just 1 goal scored puts them in bad shape. Elche will fancy their chances but they are unlikely to run riot so unders looks good. Both sides have been involved in low scoring games over the last 10 matches with just 21 goals scored for an average of 2.10 goals per game. Unders has paid out in 6 of those 10 games.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga: Levante 2 Elche 1

14 December 2013

404948header.jpg

Substitute David Barral scored twice as Levante came from behind to beat Elche 2-1 and snap a four-match losing streak in La Liga on Friday.

Trailing to Cristian Sapunaru's early goal, Barral – introduced in the 38th minute for the injured Baba Diawara – levelled proceedings on the stroke of half-time before netting a late winner.

Elche started brightly and took a deserved lead in the 26th minute after Sapunaru pounced on Botia's knock-down to sweep home following a clever free-kick.

And they should have doubled the lead in the 40th minute, only for Fidel – who was sent through on goal – to chip over Levante goalkeeper Keilor Navas and wide.

Levante made them pay immediately as Barral headed Nabil El Zhar's cross into the back of the net to equalise.

Both sides had good chances in the second half, with Richmond Boakye guilty of missing a sitter when he skewed wide from inside the six-yard box with an empty net to aim at following a corner.

And Levante again benefited from Elche's profligacy, as Barral fired a bullet header past Levante goalkeeper Tono following Pedro's cross in the 81st minute.

That was enough for Levante to win their first match in five and climb into the top half, while Elche remain 12th in the table.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Osasuna v Real Madrid

13 December 2013

404678header.jpg

Real Madrid can keep pace with La Liga leaders Barcelona when they travel to face struggling Osasuna on Saturday.

Carlo Ancelotti's men have won their last five league games since losing 2-1 to Barca back in October, and sit just three points adrift of the defending champions in third place.

And the capital club should be confident of taking another three points against a side they have beaten in three of their last four meetings.

Osasuna's last victory against Real came in January 2011, when they edged to a 1-0 triumph, but the visitors' recent record in Pamplona is far from impressive.

Indeed, Real have emerged victorious on just one of their last five visits to the El Sadar Stadium, however, they will be boosted by the presence of Cristiano Ronaldo, who made a goalscoring return to action in their UEFA Champions League clash with Copenhagen after missing the previous three games because of a thigh injury.

France defender Raphael Varane is still out due to a knee injury, while Fabio Coentrao (thigh) and Sami Khedira (knee) remain on the sidelines.

The hosts have endured a dismal campaign so far, and sit just one point above the relegation zone going into this game.

Javi Gracia's men have experienced a minor upturn in form in recent times, winning two of their last seven league meetings, but have already lost 10 games and possess the worst attacking record in the division.

Osasuna have scored a mere 11 times in 15 league games, although Gracia will have been pleased with their offensive performance in their Copa del Rey meeting with Malaga last weekend, which ended in a 3-3 draw.

Still, Gracia will have to cope without key midfielder Patxi Punal, who is suspended after receiving a straight red card in their 3-0 defeat to Valencia earlier this month.

Attacking midfielder Nino (knee) is doubtful, with Miguel Angel de las Cuevas (elbow) and Sisi (knee) both unavailable.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Barcelona v Villarreal

12 December 2013

404658header.jpg

Barcelona host Villarreal on Saturday knowing they will likely need all three points to maintain their spot at the top of La Liga.

Gerardo Martino's men suffered their first league loss of the campaign on December 1 as they slumped to a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Athletic Bilbao.

That setback allowed title rivals Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid to gain ground on the Catalan club, with the former now behind the defending champions on goal difference only.

Real are a further three points behind in third place, but Martino will be aware that his side can ill-afford another slip-up against a Villarreal team that is enjoying a strong return to the top flight following promotion last season.

Indeed, the visitors can move ahead of Bilbao - who travel to Sevilla - and into fourth place with a win at Camp Nou.

And they take on a Barca side with a number of injury concerns ahead of the encounter.

Lionel Messi is still on the sidelines due to a hamstring injury, with goalkeeper Victor Valdes (calf) also unavailable.

Full-back Dani Alves could be in line to return after a month out of action with a calf injury, but Ibrahim Affelay and Jonathan dos Santos (both knee) are long-term absentees.

Defender Adriano is out through suspension, but the hosts should be confident of defeating a side that has not beaten Barca since 2008.

That win did come at Camp Nou though, Marcos Senna and Jon Dahl Tomasson scoring in a 2-1 win.

Midfielder Cani is a doubt for Villarreal after picking up a knee injury in Villarreal's Copa del Rey clash with Elche, while Francisco Javier Farinos (Achilles) remains unavailable.

Bruno is banned, but the onus for the visitors should be on ex-Barca forward Giovani dos Santos, who will be keen to breach the home defence and add to his tally of seven goals in all competitions.