• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hughton ´disappointed´ to be only black manager

13 March 2014

432001header.jpg

Chris Hughton has expressed disappointment at being the only black manager in the top four divisions of English football.

Chris Powell's sacking as Charlton Athletic boss on Tuesday leaves Hughton as the only non-white manager in the pyramid's top 92 clubs.

And the situation has prompted Hughton to call on the Football Association (FA) and professional clubs to address the "disappointing void".

"To be the only black manager in the divisions is something that is really disappointing," Hughton said. "There's no doubt there is a massive imbalance in those from a playing capacity going through to management.

"There is a really disappointing void and it's our responsibility to make sure that changes.

"I have seen good strides made in general in involvement in football circles.

"What we have found is there are far more black and ethnic (minority) coaches involved at lesser levels - at grassroots level, associated with clubs, at academy level, at under-21 level - but those same percentages don't apply to first-team management.

"I have seen significant work done at other levels. It's good to see some of those balances a little bit more correct at other levels, but it's (now a case of) taking it to the next step, which is mainstream management.

"We all have a responsibility in the game to continue to work and to continue to evaluate why that is the case. That starts from the FA, from the football clubs themselves and the football environment."

Norwich travel to Southampton on Saturday for their latest Premier League fixture.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pardew ´relieved´ not to lose job

13 March 2014

431987header.jpg

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has revealed it was "a relief" not to lose his job after he headbutted Hull City's David Meyler.

Pardew sparked controversy during his side's 4-1 victory at Hull on March 1 when he clashed with Meyler on the touchline.

The 52-year-old has since been handed a three-match stadium ban and four-game touchline suspension by the Football Association (FA), with the former starting against Fulham on Saturday.

Newcastle formally warned Pardew and fined him £100,000 in the immediate aftermath of the incident, but opted not to dismiss the former West Ham boss.

Speaking in his first press conference since learning his punishment from the FA, Pardew thanked his club for the backing they have given him.

"It was a relief when I was told I would not lose my job," Pardew said.

"My mistake was in front of millions of people and I had to pay a price.

"(Club owner) Mike Ashley acted swiftly and we move forward. Since the incident, the backing I have had from the club has helped me."

Assistant manager John Carver will take charge against Fulham on Saturday, and Pardew insisted that Newcastle are fully prepared for their visit to the relegation-threatened club.

"Our game plan is in place. John Carver knows it inside-out and I trust him 100% to deliver it," Pardew added.

Captain Fabricio Coloccini is poised to rejoin the first team after missing the win at Hull due to a family bereavement, a return that Pardew feels will be key in helping the team manage his absence from the dugout.

"Coloccini will come back into the team and he is important," Pardew explained. "His captaincy needs to step up a level over the next three games."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Remy, Debuchy face injury lay-offs

13 March 2014

431988header.jpg

Newcastle United will be without Loic Remy and Mathieu Debuchy for at least three matches.

Leading goalscorer Remy has a calf complaint that is likely to keep him out until the end of the month, while full-back Debuchy is expected to miss the next four fixtures with a groin injury.

The news was confirmed by the club on Thursday and comes as a further blow to Newcastle, who already have manager Alan Pardew banned for seven matches following his headbutt on Hull City's David Meyler.

The St James' Park outfit could now be without the duo for matches against Fulham, Crystal Palace and Everton.

Remy currently tops the Newcastle scoring charts with 13 goals in 23 Premier League appearances.

Newcastle head into this weekend's clash at Craven Cottage with a view to closing in on a potential UEFA Europa League qualifying berth.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hughes confirms Huth setback

14 March 2014

432239header.jpg

Stoke City defender Robert Huth has undergone further surgery on his troublesome knee, ruling him out for the remainder of the season.

Huth, an integral member of Stoke's squad, initially went under the knife after limping out of a home win against Sunderland on November 23.

The 29-year-old German had stepped up his recovery in recent weeks, playing in a behind-closed-doors friendly as he neared full fitness.

However, Stoke chairman Peter Coates revealed on Tuesday that Huth was unlikely to feature again this term and details of his setback have now been announced by manager Mark Hughes.

"Unfortunately Robert had an operation last night and he will now miss the remainder of the season," Hughes said on Friday.

"The knee was reacting adversely to the work we were trying to do with him, so this is something that we have had to do.

"He has been close on a number of occasions, but we weren't willing to risk him.

"In some regards it was good news because we have got to the bottom of what the problem was, and hopefully he will be fit and raring to go for the start of next season."

Prior to suffering the injury, Huth had established a reliable central defensive partnership with Stoke captain Ryan Shawcross.

Huth has made 148 Premier League appearances for Stoke since joining from Middlesbrough in August 2009.

Hughes, meanwhile, appears to have accepted that speculation regarding the future of Asmir Begovic is inevitable given the Stoke goalkeeper's consistently impressive form.

Spanish giants Real Madrid are the latest club to have been linked with Begovic, who is set to represent Bosnia-Herzegovina at the FIFA World Cup.

"I'm not sure where the news originates from, but to be honest I'm not surprised because top teams are looking at Asmir," Hughes said.

"They will want to keep their fingers on the pulse and keep tabs of what Asmir is doing here. We aren't encouraging that though because he is somebody that we would obviously like to keep here.

"He has had an outstanding season once again, and we are fortunate that he is here and contracted to us. In that regard we are fortunate, but I know that he wants to test himself at the highest level possible."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Aguero a doubt for Manchester derby

14 March 2014

432210header.jpg

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero is a doubt for the Premier League clash with rivals Manchester United due to injury.

Aguero was taken off at half-time in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League defeat to Barcelona with a hamstring problem, leading to fears the Argentina international could miss a large part of City's run-in.

While manager Manuel Pellegrini said Aguero's injury was not "very serious", he confirmed the 25-year-old will be out for more than a week, meaning he could miss the Manchester derby on March 25.

"Tomorrow, we will know the extent of Sergio Aguero’s injury. We do not know exactly what is wrong," Pellegrini said on Friday.

"Aguero will be out for more than one week but I don’t think it is very serious.

"Matija Nastasic and Stevan Jovetic are still recovering. Maybe next week they will be fit. Micah Richards also has a problem."

Aguero has been hampered by a number of injuries this season, but still boasts 26 goals from 28 games in all competitions.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Poyet relieved to focus on relegation scrap

14 March 2014

432208header.jpg

Gus Poyet has spoken of his relief that his Sunderland side can concentrate on a relegation battle now that their cup runs have ended.

The Wearside outfit were dumped out of the FA Cup at the quarter-final stage by Hull City last weekend just a week after losing the League Cup final against Manchester City.

Sunderland now turn their attention to a crunch Premier League clash with fellow strugglers Crystal Palace on Saturday and head coach Poyet has warned his players that there are no distractions now as they strive to avoid the drop.

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager said: "It's a relief to have that sorted in certain ways.

"I was a fan when I was young and I went to the stadium and wanted to see my favourite player on the pitch and I would blame the manager when he didn't play him. We all do that.

"We are all managers and we are all fans. You don't realise at that time what is going on behind the scenes.

"How long it took for someone to sort out the tickets for the final for example, you would not believe. You give players and staff a certain amount of tickets but sooner or later you know they are going to come and ask for more and then somebody else does and you never finish.

"How can you control that and sort everything else out as well? It's impossible.

"Even on the day before. Now there is nothing, no distractions. There is no Wembley, no tickets, no summer, no pre-season. It's only me they know is preparing things and we have to concentrate on winning football games.

"That is perfection. That's what we all want and I think that's one of the best things about being in England.

"They don't have to talk to the press every two days like in other countries. They have nothing to worry about apart from sleeping well, eating well, training well and be ready to give their maximum.

"It's impossible to ask them to win every game, but just to give their maximum. Everything is in place for them to do that."

Poyet will have a fully fit squad to select from when Tony Pulis' side travel to the Stadium of Light.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho expresses fears over Chelsea squad depth

14 March 2014

432187header.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has doubts over whether his squad is capable of winning the Premier League and the UEFA Champions League.

Mourinho's side hold a seven-point lead in the Premier League, albeit having played more games than the rest of the top four, and will head into the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie against Galatasaray level at 1-1 following a draw in Turkey.

Ahead of Saturday's domestic game at Aston Villa and Tuesday's return meeting with Galatasaray, Mourinho expressed concern over the make-up of his squad and whether they can compete on two fronts.

"If you ask me can we go all the way in the Champions League and the Premier League, I think it's very difficult," he said.

"Our squad is quite short; two of our players (January signings Nemanja Matic and Mohamed Salah) can't play in the Champions League. Twenty players minus two players is 18. Minus (the injured) Marco van Ginkel is 17.

"I don't think we have a huge squad in terms of numbers and experience to cope.

"To win the Premier League we have to win nine matches and wait for Man City not to win every match. To win the Champions League we have to beat Galatasaray, we have to beat someone in the quarter final, (the) semi-final, (and the) final.

"When I say someone, I mean the best teams in the world so I think both are very difficult but let's go match by match."

Mourinho, who will be without David Luiz and Ashley Cole at Villa Park, also described the table as fake - with City capable of catching Chelsea by winning their three games in hand.

"We don't look at the table because the table is fake," he added.

"If I watch Tottenham against Arsenal and want Tottenham to win does that help? No.

"I think the team is motivated and strong but not because of the table. They know the table is fake.

"We have clear objectives for the next season but if we can do it this season we don't say no. We are very calm, very relaxed and that's important."

good2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aguero has been hampered by lots of injuries. Hope he recovers fast and stays fit for the rest of the season.

Aguero a doubt for Manchester derby

14 March 2014

432210header.jpg

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero is a doubt for the Premier League clash with rivals Manchester United due to injury.

Aguero was taken off at half-time in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League defeat to Barcelona with a hamstring problem, leading to fears the Argentina international could miss a large part of City's run-in.

While manager Manuel Pellegrini said Aguero's injury was not "very serious", he confirmed the 25-year-old will be out for more than a week, meaning he could miss the Manchester derby on March 25.

"Tomorrow, we will know the extent of Sergio Aguero’s injury. We do not know exactly what is wrong," Pellegrini said on Friday.

"Aguero will be out for more than one week but I don’t think it is very serious.

"Matija Nastasic and Stevan Jovetic are still recovering. Maybe next week they will be fit. Micah Richards also has a problem."

Aguero has been hampered by a number of injuries this season, but still boasts 26 goals from 28 games in all competitions.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Saturday, March 15, 2014

5 things to know about the Premier League

By SAMUEL PETREQUIN
AP Sports Writer
Published: Thursday, Mar. 13, 2014 - 6:09 am
Last Modified: Thursday, Mar. 13, 2014 - 6:15 am

1nw16a.Xl.55.jpeg

West Brom's Gareth McAuley, right, blocks Manchester United's Wayne Rooney during the English Premier League soccer match between West Bromwich Albion and Manchester United at The Hawthorns Stadium in West Bromwich, England, Saturday, March 8, 2014.

LONDON -- When Alex Ferguson took over as Manchester United manager, Liverpool was the dominant force of English football. The Scot made clear that his objective was to take the Reds off their perch, and he succeeded.

His successor, David Moyes, has so far failed to keep Ferguson's standards of excellence at United as the Red Devils are languishing in sixth place ahead of Liverpool's visit on Sunday. In contrast, the Merseyside club is in the hunt for its first Premier League title in 24 years, trailing leader Chelsea by seven points with a game in hand.

Here are five things to know ahead of this weekend's Premier League matches:

---

TITLE CHELSEA'S TO LOSE

A win for Chelsea at Aston Villa on Saturday would lift Jose Mourinho's team to 69 points and 10 points clear of Liverpool and Arsenal, who don't play until Sunday.

Whatever the Portuguese manager says about preferring to be in Manchester City's position — nine points behind Chelsea in fourth place but with three games in hand — there is no doubt that the South London club is ideally placed to win its first title in four years.

Mourinho, though, keeps pretending his team is the one under pressure, despite evidence that City's form is dipping. After dropping points at Norwich and losing to Wigan in the FA Cup, Manuel Pellegrini's side has been knocked out of the Champions League by Barcelona.

"Our next objective is top three, as that gives us direct qualification (to the Champions League group stage). If at a certain point our distance to fourth is big, I will say we will think a bit more, but objective now is top three. If Man City win three games in hand, which they can, they are top," Mourinho said.

---

RED ALERT AT LUNCHTIME

Liverpool has not finished above Manchester United in the Premier League for 12 years, but the Reds' agony looks about to end. For once, Brendan Rodgers' players are travelling to their bitter rivals as favorites, having played a superb attacking football the whole season.

The Reds are 11 points ahead of United in the standings and have scored 73 goals in the league this season, 27 more than David Moyes' team and more than any other club. United has shown signs of improvement recently but a first loss at Old Trafford against Liverpool since a 4-1 drubbing five years ago would not be a surprise.

"To see Man City doing well, and particularly Liverpool, is really difficult," United striker Wayne Rooney told Inside United magazine. "It's not nice when we know we are capable of being up there challenging and we haven't been doing that this season. However, it means we have to step up and get back up there because the feeling we've had this season is not a nice feeling at all to have"

---

SPURS LOOKING FOR REDEMPTION

Another fierce local rivalry is taking center stage as Tottenham hosts third-place Arsenal in North London. The derby at White Hart Lane is crucial for both teams as they can't afford to lose more points in the pursuit of their respective goals this season: the title for Arsenal and a Champions League berth for fifth-place Tottenham.

But pride will also be at stake. Spurs' hopes of finishing in the top four have been damaged by their 4-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge last weekend, when coach Tim Sherwood criticized his players for their lack of character. Sherwood has told his players they need to show a better face if they want to commit their future to the club.

"We spent more than two hours in a meeting amongst the players and we said what we had to say," midfielder Sandro said. "Every player had their fair share to say, put it that way. I think that is positive from ourselves and we have to show in the next match that we can do much better. And we will prove that. I am sure we will show much more character in the next matches."

---

BENDTNER INCIDENT

Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner is facing disciplinary actions for another off-field issue, in a season that has seen highly limited playing time for the Dane. Inconsistent performances have marred the 26-year-old striker's career in recent years and he has not played for the Gunners since early February.

Bendtner is now also facing a club fine for an alleged drunken incident in Copenhagen earlier this week.

British news agency Press Association reported that Bendtner threatened a taxi driver in Copenhagen on the night his teammates exited the Champions League to Bayern Munich in Germany. The forward is claimed to have unbuttoned his trousers and rubbed against the taxi.

---

2008 SPIRIT

Fulham's classic stadium Craven Cottage is in danger of losing Premier League football next season as the London club is three points adrift at the foot of the table, four points from safety.

With nine matches remaining before the end of the season, the Cottagers have no room for mistake against Newcastle at home on Saturday. Team captain Brede Hangeland has warned his teammates they need to battle harder to recapture the spirit of 2008, when they escaped relegation in the closing stages of the season.

"The only thing that will pull us out of this situation is hard work and belief that we can do it," Hangeland told the Daily Mirror. "We have to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and the situation we are in and pull in the same direction. That year when we survived, we slowly turned the ship around in the quality of training, and the belief that we could do it. We had a system and bunch of players who followed it. That is obviously an example that we need to try and replicate."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rodgers: Manchester United will 'suffer' without Champions League

378461_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Mar 15, 2014 9:59:00 AM

The Northern Irishman says signing world-class players has been difficult due to the Reds' exile from Europe and believes David Moyes could encounter similar problems

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers expects Manchester United “will suffer” if they lose their place in the Champions League.

David Moyes’ side sit sixth in the Premier League ahead of Liverpool’s visit to Old Trafford on Sunday but are nine points behind fourth-placed Manchester City, who have two games in hand.

Rodgers admits player recruitment has been hindered following Liverpool’s exile from the Champions League and believes United will face similar problems if they are not in the competition next season.

“We are 11 points clear [of United] now; if it goes to 14, they can’t do it,” Rodgers told reporters.

“Even 11 is going to be very tough because we are entering into a period where we are stronger.

“Our first job is to *consolidate fourth place and then work upwards. That will be the aim.

“We still have a lot of work to get into the Champions League, but when you’re not in it, it’s so difficult.

“This club is a worldwide club, monumental, but we found it difficult because the best players want to play in the best competitions.

“This was Liverpool and we weren’t in the Champions League and to get in the type of players we want, that’s where we need to be and trying to be.

“Any club will suffer the same when they’re not in there. There is no doubt it will hurt you but they will know that.”

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wenger vows to investigate Arsenal injury crisis

377648_heroa.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Mar 15, 2014 9:41:00 AM

The Gunners will be without Theo Walcott, Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere and Mesut Ozil for Sunday's north London derby clash with Tottenham

Arsene Wenger has pledged to try to find the cause of the injury crisis that is threatening to derail Arsenal's season.

Theo Walcott will miss the rest of the campaign with a ruptured cruciate ligament in his knee, while Aaron Ramsey has not featured since picking up a thigh problem on Boxing Day.

Jack Wilshere fractured a bone in his foot during England's friendly win over Denmark, while Mesut Ozil could be out for up to six weeks with a hamstring injury sustained against Bayern Munich on Tuesday.

All four are out of Sunday's crucial north London derby clash with Tottenham as the Gunners look to breathe life into a faltering title challenge, and Wenger admits the injuries are a worry.

"I am concerned that this happens," he told reporters. "If you look at our overall injury list going into such a decisive part of the season, we have not Wilshere, not Walcott, not Özil, not Ramsey and we went to Bayern without [Kieran] Gibbs and [Nacho] Monreal.

"We are analysing very deeply why it happened and to see if there is a link between all these injuries.

"For Walcott, it's completely bad luck. Wilshere – I don't think it is linked with the other injuries; it's more linked with his history and the kick he got.

"But the rest, maybe we have to find why it happened. It's very difficult to find any obvious reason why.

"For example, a player like Ozil –he was rested against Stoke, then he goes to Germany and he trains different, sometimes on a different ground with different sessions.

"He played the whole game [for Germany against Chile] and the whole game for us against Everton and he produced on that day, doing more physically than usually and he paid for it the next day. Why? I don't know."

Wenger revealed he is particularly concerned about Ramsey. The Welshman was Arsenal's star performer in the first half of the season but is still two weeks away from making a return.

"That's our worry at the moment, Ramsey is taking longer than expected," the Frenchman admitted.

"He had a first setback and then he planned to join in [training] on Thursday but he had recurring pains in his thigh. Of course, he's now a little apprehensive because of the setback.

"We have to be very cautious with him. When will he be back? I believe it's two more weeks now."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City under no extra pressure to win Premier League, says Pellegrini

376931_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Mar 15, 2014 9:18:00 AM

The club have already secured the Capital One Cup and the Chilean has urged his side to recapture the form they showed at the start of the year in order to catch Chelsea

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini insists he is under no extra pressure to win the Premier League this season.

City were dumped out of the FA Cup by Wigan Athletic last Sunday and had their Champions League campaign ended by Barcelona on Wednesday evening.

Pellegrini admits that his side much recapture the form they showed at the start of the year if they are to overturn a nine-point gap on Premier League leaders Chelsea, whom they have three games in hand on, but has dismissed the suggestion that the success of their season will now be defined on whether they do so.

“I don’t think [there] is an extra pressure because the pressure is exactly the same from the first game of the Premier League to the last,” the Chilean told reporters.

“We won the Capital One Cup and the pressure in the FA Cup and the Premier League were exactly the same. Now, the pressure to win the Premier League is exactly the same.

“I hope that we will recover our performances from when we played one month ago.

“I think the last month we felt a little bit the 18 games we played in two months previously. That is the cost of being in all competitions.

“If we want to have a chance of fighting for the title, we must recover the way we were playing one month ago.”

Asked if he was concerned about Chelsea’s advantage in the table ahead of City’s trip to Hull City on Saturday, Pellegrini replied: “Concern? No.

"Of course it is better if we had already played those three games in hand and won. Chelsea have done that, so we must do it in the future.”

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bendtner will be fined for Copenhagen trip, says Wenger

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:24pm GMT

r

Arsenal's Nicklas Bendtner (R) celebrates his goal against Cardiff City with Bacary Sagna during their English Premier League soccer match at the Emirates Stadium in London January 1, 2014. REUTERS/Dylan Martinez

(Reuters) - Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner will be fined by the club for taking an unauthorised trip to Copenhagen this week, manager Arsene Wenger said on Friday.

"Nobody gave him any permission to go to Copenhagen and he will be fined for that," Wenger told a news conference.

Bendtner, 26, was alleged to have been involved in an altercation with a taxi driver during the trip, according to Danish media reports. His Arsenal team mates drew 1-1 with Bayern Munich on Tuesday night and were eliminated from the Champions League last 16.

" he has created some trouble there, I don't know, I will speak to him today," Wenger said.

"The only thing that is for sure is he had nothing to do in Copenhagen."

Bendtner, who was fined and banned from driving for three years for being over the legal drink-drive limit in Copenhagen last year, has not played for Arsenal since February 2.

When asked if it was the 'final straw' for the player, Wenger said: "He is at the end of his contract at the end of the season."

Third-placed Arsenal travel to north London rivals Tottenham in the Premier League on Sunday.

(Reporting By Michael Hann, editing by Stephen Wood)

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes concedes Liverpool are favourites in 'biggest game'

LONDON Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:05pm GMT

r

Manchester United manager David Moyes reacts during their English Premier League soccer match against West Bromwich Albion at The Hawthorns in West Bromwich, central England March 8, 2014. REUTERS/Darren Staples

(Reuters) - Manchester United manager David Moyes conceded that Liverpool probably start as favourites to win what he described as "the biggest club game in England" when they meet at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Liverpool are second in the Premier League, seven points behind leaders Chelsea with a game in hand, but 11 points clear of United, who are sixth with no realistic chance of retaining their title.

Former Liverpool striker Ian Rush said earlier on Friday that Liverpool go into the match as the clear favourites and Moyes did not disagree.

"Their league position suggests they are ahead of us and they possibly do come here as favourites. Liverpool are having a very good season and we will have to do everything we possibly can to beat them."

Liverpool, who have won their last four league matches, have not finished above United since 2002 and although they look like doing so this season, Moyes told reporters at his pre-match news conference that United still had plenty to play for.

"It would be a big boost for us to win on Sunday," he said. "I think everyone knows the importance of Manchester United v Liverpool games.

"I think it is the biggest game in the country. There is great history between the two clubs going back years and I think this is the biggest club game in the Premier League."

Liverpool (18) and United (20) have won 38 league titles between them.

United, who finished champions five times and runners-up three times in Alex Ferguson's last eight seasons in charge at Old Trafford, have not finished outside the top three since 1991, but they will almost certainly do so this season.

Moyes, who has had a difficult introduction since succeeding Ferguson at the start of the season, said there was plenty of positives to take from their recent form, having kept clean sheets in their last three league matches.

"We are not in as strong a position as we'd like, but we are normally very good coming into the final furlong and we have big games coming up this month. Our motivation is to make sure we keep progressing," he said

ONLY DEFEAT

Their only defeat in the last six weeks was a 2-0 reverse at Olympiakos in a Champions League last 16 first leg last month.

Moyes added: "With the exception of Olympiakos we have been progressing and improving. I see signs of it in training, the players are looking well and sharp and I am looking forward to it."

Striker Robin van Persie appeared on Thursday to allay fears that he was looking to move away from Manchester United by saying he wanted to stay beyond the end of his current contract and that he had learnt a lot from Moyes' training sessions.

"It's nice of Robin. Robin is happy here and we are very pleased about that," a naturally delighted Moyes said.

"He has a couple of years left on his contract and I am sure that's something the board will look at. I have always said we have two outstanding forwards in Wayne Rooney and Robin.

"Both of them are capable of winning games on their own and both are pivotal international players for Holland and England and are the sort of players any side in Europe or the world would want in their team.

"I am delighted to have them here and that both of them want to be Manchester United players is even better."

Winger Nani has returned to the United squad ahead of Sunday's match at Old Trafford, while Rafael, Javier Hernandez and Jonny Evans all have a chance of being involved, Moyes said.

(Reporting by Mike Collett; editing by Toby Davis)

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

West Brom sack Anelka for gross misconduct

By Mike Collett
LONDON Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:10am GMT

r

West Bromwich Albion's Nicolas Anelka looks on during their English Premier League soccer match against Everton at The Hawthorns in West Bromwich, central England January 20, 2014. REUTERS/Darren Staples

(Reuters) - West Bromwich Albion have given French striker Nicolas Anelka notice they are terminating his contract for gross misconduct, the Premier League club said in a statement on Friday.

Anelka, who was given a five-match ban by the FA following his controversial 'quenelle' salute during a match on December 28, had earlier said on Twitter he was quitting the Midlands team.

"The club considers the conduct of Nicolas Anelka on December 28, coupled with his purported termination on social media this evening, to be gross misconduct," West Brom said.

"As a result the club has tonight written to Nicolas Anelka giving him 14 days' notice of termination as required under his contract," they added on their website (www.wba.co.uk).

Anelka, who turned 35 on Friday, made the 'quenelle' salute, which is associated with anti-Semitic sentiments, when he scored the first of his two goals in a 3-3 draw in a league game at West Ham United's Upton Park ground.

Earlier on Friday, the former France striker tweeted that he was quitting the club but West Brom said they had not received any official notification of his intention to end his contract.

"Following my talks with the club I've been told I could be back in the squad under certain conditions that I can't agree," Anelka said on his Twitter account (@anelkaofficiel).

"As I want to preserve my integrity I've decided to free myself and to put an end to my contract with WBA with immediate effect."

TERMINATION INVALID

West Brom responded with a statement saying: "... Nicolas Anelka is unwilling to agree to the conditions set by it (the club) which may have enabled his suspension to be lifted and for him to resume training.

"These conditions were, firstly, that the club required (him) to apologise to it, its supporters, sponsors and the wider community for the impact and consequences of his gesture made on December 28, and secondly, that he accept a substantial fine.

"Nicolas Anelka's purported termination of his Premier League contract this evening via social media was invalid as this was not conducted under the correct legal process as required by his contract."

West Brom, fourth from bottom of the table and one place above the relegation zone on goal difference, had earlier criticised Anelka for a lack of professionalism.

"The club notes Nicolas Anelka's comments on Twitter this evening. However the club has received nothing formally regarding the termination of Nicolas Anelka's contract from either him or his advisers.

"The club regards the release of such a statement on social media as highly unprofessional...

"The club confirms it has been continuing discussions with Nicolas Anelka and his advisers as part of its own internal enquiry into the gesture he made...," added West Brom.

"Following the conclusion of the FA's enquiry into the same incident the club had hoped to conclude its own investigations next week."

SIGN OF ALLEGIANCE

After receiving his five-match ban from the FA and an 80,000 pounds ($133,000) fine last week for the 'quenelle' salute, the Frenchman said on Thursday he would not contest the suspension.

The FA, who wanted a longer ban, also said they would accept the sanction imposed by its independent regulatory commission.

Anelka said the salute, devised by his friend Dieudonne M'bala M'bala, was a sign of allegiance with the French comedian and that he was using it as an anti-establishment gesture.

The FA accepted that while the gesture is deemed to be anti-Semitic, Anelka was not an anti-Semite.

Anelka's sacking by West Brom could signal the end of a long career for the striker who played 69 times for France and featured for a host of Europe's top clubs.

After making an initial impact at Paris St Germain, he had spells at Arsenal, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Manchester City, Fenerbahce, Juventus and Chelsea among others.

Anelka was part of Real's Champions League-winning team in 2000 and, in all, his aggregate transfers were worth close to 90 million pounds ($149.65 million).

He signed for West Brom as a free agent after leaving Juventus at the end of last season and played 12 times for the Midlands club, scoring twice.

(Additional reporting by Gregory Blachier in Paris and Tony Jimenez and Ken Ferris in London; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

Luis Suarez

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Humbled United slipping into mediocrity

By Zoran Milosavljevic
Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:47am GMT

r

Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic (L) fouls Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge to concede a penalty and be sent off during their English Premier League soccer match at Old Trafford in Manchester, northern England, March 16, 2014. REUTERS-Phil Noble

(Reuters) - Conceding three penalties to Liverpool at Old Trafford would have usually triggered a furore among Manchester United fans, players and management under any other circumstances but for the humiliating manner in which they lost Sunday's derby.

Not even the fiery Wayne Rooney questioned referee Mark Clattenburg's decisions on an afternoon the England striker described as one of the worst days he ever had in football, after a crushing 3-0 defeat left United with only a forlorn hope of finishing in the top four in the Premier League.

Rooney's post-match comments underlined a gulf in class between the two teams this season, with the balance of power swinging back towards a Liverpool side transformed by Brendan Rodgers from mid-table underachievers into title contenders.

United, shockingly for their fans, seem to be heading in the opposite direction - at least in the short term.

The mauling United suffered at the hands of their bitter rivals actually flattered David Moyes's men.

It is difficult to fathom how a team that won their 20th league title under Alex Ferguson last season have struggled under his successor Moyes. But the reasons for United's spectacular fall from grace are complex.

Too many players in the squad appear to have reached the summit of their careers last season.

The partnership of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, once the defensive pillars who made United's rivals in England and Europe green with envy, has come to an end with the latter heading to Inter Milan and the former's future at Old Trafford uncertain at best.

PALE SHADOW

More surprisingly, striker Robin Van Persie looks a pale shadow of the player whose goals propelled United to the Premier League's pinnacle last term and his tepid performances have raised question marks over his ability to lead the line beyond this season.

Van Persie criticised his team mates for moving into his space and not getting the ball enough to him after a 2-0 first-leg Champions League defeat by Olympiakos Piraeus, but if they did it is because his poor movement off the ball and lack of cutting edge in big games has been palpably clear.

Rooney, often asked to operate in a dual role of a forward and a midfield workhorse whenever Van Persie is deployed as the lone striker, seems to thrive on his own up front when the Dutchman is sidelined for one reason or another and Moyes is forced to give Danny Welbeck a start.

Moyes, handpicked by his compatriot Ferguson to take over the reins on a six-year contract, seems reluctant to play Mexico striker Javier Hernandez while Welbeck has been used sparingly and mostly out of position.

Expensive acquisition Marouane Fellaini, his former Everton protégé, still looks like a bewildered schoolboy in a United shirt while speculation that Moyes made a futile bid last week to lure Paul Pogba back to Old Trafford suggests that record signing Juan Mata may be more suited to playing further upfield than a playmaker United are still craving for.

A looming Champions League exit on Wednesday is still unlikely to force the board's hand as Old Trafford's echelons of power will probably feel they have to give Moyes at least another season to get a grip on things, having backed Ferguson's choice to name the fellow Glaswegian as his successor.

But even a Champions League comeback in the return leg against Olympiakos and United's passage into the competition's last eight is unlikely to be more than a flash in the pan this term unless they can somehow squeeze through to the May 24 final in Lisbon.

Judging by their current form, United will need to produce something very special if they are to get past some of Europe's heavyweights who now look well and truly out of their league.

(editing by Justin Palmer)

Luis Suarez

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hart and Boyd await further action from FA

George Boyd and Joe Hart must wait to see if they face further action from the FA after squaring up in the second half of Manchester City's 2-0 win over Hull.

George Boyd and Joe Hart

170314boydhart.jpg

Monday 17th March 2014

Video footage appeared to suggest the Hull substitute spat in Hart's direction after the goalkeeper had reacted furiously to Boyd's fall under his challenge in the box in the 69th minute, although Tigers manager Steve Bruce denied that was the case.

Referee Lee Mason booked Hart for his part in the incident with Boyd, who later added to the controversy by insisting Hart "put his head in" and should have been sent off.

The FA will await the referee's report on Monday before deciding whether to take any further action over the incident, which soured a fine win for a City side who had been reduced to 10 men in the 10th minute after captain Vincent Kompany was dismissed. The Belgian may also face further punishment for his reaction to being sent off.

David Silva put the visitors ahead with a delicious left-foot strike four minutes later, then Edin Dzeko wrapped up victory after being put through by Yaya Toure in injury time.

Bruce defended Boyd over the spitting allegation, describing it as "a load of rubbish" and adding: "He (Boyd) has tried to talk and shout and something's come out. That's what I've seen of it.

"George Boyd wouldn't do that, no chance. Not deliberately, anyway. He is as honest as they come - he was playing non-league six years ago."

Bruce also backed Boyd over the suggestions of diving, accepting referee Lee Mason got it right in not awarding a spot-kick but adding: "George has tried to go round the goalkeeper and he has lost his balance.

"Boyd is going at full tilt and he's expecting to get clattered. To be fair to Joe he has done what every experienced goalkeeper does - he's pulled himself out of the road. George is trying to take evasive action rather than simulate to get a penalty."

Meanwhile Boyd, who was at the centre of another, arguably stronger penalty call when he fell under Fernandinho's challenge two minutes later, criticised Hart's reaction to the initial incident.

Boyd said: "He didn't nut me but he's put his head in, so he should have got sent off really.

"He said after he didn't touch me, but I thought he touched me a little bit. He came (after the game) and said he didn't touch me. He apologised for the reaction and that's it."

The controversy took the shine off a solid City performance, which was later given new importance after title rivals Chelsea slumped to defeat at Aston Villa.

The weekend results mean City now trail Jose Mourinho's men by six points, but with three games in hand they now have their destiny back in their own hands.

Midfielder Samir Nasri said: "Sometimes you can win games when you are lucky and that can make you a champion. We know if we win our last 11 games we are going to be champions."

Nasri criticised the dismissal of Kompany, insisting the City defender had been fouled by Hull striker Nikica Jelavic first, but said the sending-off had helped instil a new motivation within his team.

Nasri added: "When everyone plays for the team it doesn't matter if we have 10 or 11 - we can win games because we have quality.

"It was a mistake from an official because the first foul was on Vinnie and he took a red card, so for 80 minutes we played with 10 men.

"When your captain gets a red card you just want to show that you can do it without him and as well for him.

"It was up to us to continue to run and defend the way we did with 10 men. You want to fight to the end and that's what we did."

Luis Suarez

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FA set to examine Foy report

The FA will examine Chris Foy's match report before deciding whether to charge Jose Mourinho or any of those involved in Chelsea's injury time melee.

Jose Mourinho manager of Chelsea is sent off by re

Jose%20Mourinho%20manager%20of%20Chelsea%20is%20sent%20off%20by%20referee%20Chris%20Foy%20during%20the%20Barclays%20Premier%20League%20match%20between%20Aston%20Villa%20and%20Chelsea.jpg.jpg

Monday 17th March 2014

Chelsea surrendered the initiative to Manchester City in the Barclays Premier League title race on Saturday when they lost 1-0 to Aston Villa at Villa Park.

Fabian Delph beat Petr Cech with a clever backheel eight minutes from time, and further drama unfolded soon after following a straight red card for Ramires.

The Brazilian was dismissed for a reckless two-footed lunge on Karim El Ahmadi right in front of the dugout.

Mourinho, opposite number Paul Lambert and a number of coaches entered the pitch to try to cool the situation down.

But, after being ushered off the pitch, Mourinho brushed past fourth official Jon Moss and went on to the pitch again, shouting towards referee Foy.

Mourinho wanted to speak to Foy about the fact that Gabriel Agbonlahor went unpunished for coming off the bench and grabbing Ramires by the neck, but the referee was not interested and he sent the Portuguese to the stands.

Mourinho, fearing another charge for bringing the game into disrepute, was careful not to question the integrity of Foy after the match, but he may still be sanctioned as the FA rule book says managers must not leave the confines of their technical area during the match.

Rule E3 states any manager who does so could be liable to an FA charge, with a fine of £8,000-£12,000 a possible punishment.

Should it be deemed that Mourinho, or any of the other officials who came on the pitch used abusive language, they could be banned for two matches.

Villa boss Lambert was keen to talk about the result, rather than the dismissal of Mourinho, Ramires and Willian, who received a second yellow card for a push on Delph in the second half.

"People are going to comment on the decisions, but I am here to talk about the game," Lambert said.

"I want to talk about football and the good things about the game.

"We were fantastic, everyone to a man. A young group of lads performed outstanding out there.

"I think it's unfair to single out any individual. It was a team performance."

Mourinho will learn his fate on Monday when the FA receives Foy's report.

Agbonlahor could also be censured for his role in the fracas.

The whole evening was one to forget for Mourinho and Chelsea as a whole.

It is understood that Chelsea are angry about reports that came from inside the ground that Mourinho and Chelsea captain John Terry tried to "storm" the referee's room.

The Blues insist neither Mourinho nor any of his players entered the room.

Mourinho's team now stand six points ahead of Manchester City and Manuel Pellegrini's men have three matches in hand.

Mourinho must now lift his team for Tuesday's Champions League match against Galatasaray.

The score is 1-1 after a tense first leg in Turkey. The good news for Mourinho is that Samuel Eto'o is expected to be fit for the game.

The Cameroonian sat out the Villa game as he was not 100 per cent but he should be available to face the Turks.

Luis Suarez

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: Stop sending Foy to Chelsea matches

Jose Mourinho has called on the Premier League to stop sending Chris Foy to Chelsea games after the referee dismissed two more Blues players.

Chris Foy

170314foy.jpg

Monday 17th March 2014

Fabian Delph struck Aston Villa's only goal eight minutes from time to put a big dent in Chelsea's title hopes.

The deft flick from the impressive midfielder was soon forgotten, however, as Mourinho took centre stage in injury time moments after Foy had dismissed Ramires for a sliding tackle on Karim El Ahmadi.

The Chelsea manager came on to the pitch as a melee ensued involving players from both teams.

The Portuguese claimed he was only attempting to cool tempers, and to ask Foy why he had not sent off Gabriel Agbonlahor for accosting Ramires, but the referee was not interested and he dismissed the Chelsea manager.

Mourinho then asked to speak to Foy in the referee's room, but he did not want to speak to the Chelsea boss.

Mourinho, clearly annoyed at Foy for dismissing Ramires, and Willian for two bookings earlier in the match, tried his best to bite his lip in his post-match press conference, but he eventually relented in another media briefing minutes later.

"Maybe it's helpful that the (Premier League referees') committee doesn't send him (Foy) to our matches," the Chelsea manager said.

"I don't have the right to request (that). It's just I think they have to analyse the situation and see if every time he has Chelsea - or not every time - but many times he has Chelsea and problems are there, I think maybe it would be a good decision."

Although he was not manager then, Mourinho recalled Chelsea's defeat to QPR in 2011 when Foy dismissed Jose Bosingwa and Didier Drogba.

"The last time I remember something similar was in a match at QPR's stadium," Mourinho said.

When informed that it was Foy who took charge of that match, Mourinho said: "I didn't know (that). It's a coincidence."

Mourinho revealed the fact that Foy was to officiate the game had been regularly discussed at Cobham ever since the officials were announced.

"The players were speaking about it during the week," Mourinho added.

"They have a reason.

"I never care who the ref is. I don't want to know. But during the week the players were speaking about the situation and I think from now on the next time we have Mr Foy I have to work my people in a different way."

Mourinho did not want to say whether he thought the decision to send off Ramires or Willian was correct in case he was charged by the Football Association (FA).

The FA could take a dim view of Mourinho's claim that "problems" regularly occur when Foy officiates Chelsea games though.

The Chelsea manager is also facing an FA charge for entering the field of play. Rule E3 states managers must not leave their technical area as Mourinho did during the match.

Although in fairness to Mourinho, he was not the only one who did so. Paul Lambert entered the pitch, as did a number of coaches, and Agbonlahor, who had been substituted.

If the FA decides Mourinho or anyone else who entered the pitch has broken the law, it can fine him £8,000-£12,000.

If anyone involved is found to have used abusive or insulting language he can be hit with a two-match touchline ban.

Mourinho insists he has done nothing wrong an he would prefer the money to go to an interesting destination if he is fined.

The Chelsea manager added: "I don't think it would be a problem to make a donation to help young referees to have better conditions to improve a referees academy, this kind of situation or to improve kids with social problems or economical problems."

The stoppage-time drama took away the focus away from the fact that Chelsea had surrendered the initiative in the title race to Manchester City, who are six points behind the leaders with three matches in hand.

Villa, meanwhile, are just two wins short of the 40-point mark which usually guarantees a team safety from the drop.

It was the first time Villa had won successive home games since August 2010 and manager Paul Lambert was happy following the final whistle.

He said: "I want to talk about football and the good things about the game.

"We were fantastic, everyone to a man. A young group of lads performed outstanding out there.

"I think it's unfair to single out any individual. It was a team performance."

Luis Suarez

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FA to request Anelka ban transfer

The Football Association will seek to ensure Nicolas Anelka serves his 'quenelle' suspension wherever he goes next.

Anelka.jpg

Sunday 16th March 2014

The controversial French forward was sacked by West Brom on Friday for "gross misconduct", both for making the 'quenelle' gesture - widely considered to be anti-Semitic - in a game against West Ham on December 28 and for failing to make an apology for it or to accept a club fine over the incident.

Press Association Sport understands the FA will write to world governing body FIFA on Monday to ask that the five-match ban it imposed for the gesture is served by Anelka at whichever club he may choose to go to next.

Anelka cannot play for another club until next season, because the transfer window is currently closed.

West Brom played Swansea on Saturday but - because Anelka's contract had been terminated prior to that game - he still has the full five matches of the ban to serve.

The FA will also request that the punishment only be considered complete once the player has paid the £80,000 fine issued alongside the ban, and once he has completed an education course.

FIFA would be expected to agree to the FA's request, but the FA could withhold the player's registration in the event that FIFA did not extend the ban worldwide.

On Friday Anelka announced on Twitter that he had terminated his agreement with the Baggies, saying he was not prepared to accept the conditions being imposed on him by the club.

Later that evening the club announced he had been sacked for gross misconduct, both in relation to making the gesture in the first place and by then announcing his departure via social media.

The statement added: ''The club notes Nicolas Anelka is unwilling to agree to the conditions set by it which may have enabled his suspension to be lifted and for him to resume training.

''These conditions were, firstly, that the club required Nicolas Anelka to apologise to it, its supporters, sponsors and the wider community for the impact and consequences of his gesture made on December 28 and secondly, that he accept a substantial fine.''

The FA announced on Thursday that it would not appeal against the length of Anelka's suspension.