• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║ La Liga Season 2012-13 ║║

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cruyff: Mourinho's way of doing things is wrong

The Dutch legend feels the Real Madrid coach is currently paying the penalty for his approach to the job, and is confident that Tito Vilanova's absence will not affect Barcelona

Dec 21, 2012 12:05:00 AM

By Frank Tigani

223757hp2.jpg

Barcelona legend Johan Cruyff has claimed that Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho is currently paying the price for his methods of coaching.

The Spanish champions have been struggling for form in recent weeks, and the Netherlands icon feels they would do well to adopt the approach to player recruitment that the Blaugrana have.

"His negative behaviour will always have its consequences. He thinks that his way of coaching is right and he justifies it by past results, but I believe it is wrong," Cruyff told Rac1.

"I am not surprised by what is happening at Madrid. This will always happen when your philosophy is to sign and gamble on big signings.

"Homegrown players have more than just a contract with the club. They take the club to their heart. Transfers can bring in good players, but never for too long. Clubs need their youth system."

The Barca legend also believes that the Catalans will be unaffected by the loss of Tito Vilanova, who underwent surgery to remove a tumour on Thursday.

"The news was a surprise. My first thoughts go to his wife and children. Those are the ones who suffer the most. You have to be with the family," he continued.

"I think he will return in two or three months. You have to think positively in times likes these.

"The team will not be affected. They are united more now and know what they have to do. They are footballers with great experience and they will step up.

"[Assistant coach Jordi] Roura will do fine. He knows the club and we have had him for several years now. Why can we not go well with him? he will take control of one game and then it will be rest.

"From February is when things become more serious. The team has to overcome this difficult period with tranquility."

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga wrap: Real Sociedad extend unbeaten run

21 December 2012

299381header.jpg

Real Sociedad extended their unbeaten run in La Liga to seven games as they overcame Sevilla 2-1 on Thursday, while Rayo Vallecano also won.

Philippe Montanier's side had claimed the scalps of Valencia and Malaga in recent weeks and they added Sevilla to that list courtesy of strikes from Carlos Vela and Alberto de la Bella.

Sociedad opened the scoring in the 18th minute through former Arsenal striker Vela, who netted his seventh goal of the season.

Chilean defender Gary Medel pulled a goal back for the visitors four minutes into the second half before substitute de la Bella secured the points with 20 minutes remaining at the Anoeta Stadium.

Sociedad move to within two points of sixth-placed Levante, who were comprehensively beaten 3-0 at Rayo.

After a scoreless first half, Rayo blitzed their opponents with three goals in the final half-hour.

Ignacio Martinez Nacho broke the deadlock on the hour mark before Piti doubled the home side's advantage 20 minutes later.

Substitute Franco Vazquez, who was on the pitch for no more than two minutes, completed the scoring with seconds remaining to send Rayo to 25 points alongside Sociedad.

Espanyol, meanwhile, continued to pull away from the relegation zone after recording a 2-0 victory against cellar-dwellers Deportivo La Coruna.

Former Barcelona and Atletico Madrid midfielder Simao sent Espanyol ahead on 31 minutes and Christian Stuani put the result beyond doubt inside the final two minutes.

Espanyol are now two points clear of the drop zone, with Granada and Mallorca scheduled to play on Saturday.

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga wrap: Atletico notch another win

22 December 2012

299462header.jpg

Atletico Madrid closed within six points of table-toppers Barcelona with a 1-0 La Liga victory over Celta de Vigo on Friday.

Diego Simeone's side have been in terrific form so far this season and even though they were not at their best on this occasion, they did just enough to collect another three points.

Celta de Vigo have struggled for form this season but a 2-1 Copa del Rey win over Real Madrid last week boosted the confidence within the team ahead of what could be a relegation dogfight this season.

They were not expected to get a result in front of 45,000 fans in Madrid but the visitors put up a good fight in the first half.

The scoreline remained 0-0 until the 77th minute when substitute Adrian lashed a 20-yard strike past Celta de Vigo goalkeeper Javi Varas and into the top left corner of the net.

And despite Atletico being reduced to 10 men when Brazilian defender Miranda was given a second yellow card with four minutes remaining, they held on for an important victory.

In the other match on Friday, Valencia romped to a 4-2 home success against Getafe at the Mestalla.

The winners made a flying start as Soldado, Jonas and Ricardo Costa all scored in the first 30 minutes.

Alexis' goal on the hour-mark narrowed Valencia's lead to 3-2 and Getafe were in the game right until the last minute, when a goal from Paraguayan substitute Nelson Valdez settled the result.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La liga wrap: Barca win again, Real lose

23 December 2012

299541header.jpg

Barcelona kicked nine points clear at the top of La Liga after a 3-1 win at Real Valladolid while Real Madrid lost on Saturday.

With Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova suffering a relapse of throat cancer this week, his players had no shortage of motivation as they travelled to Estadio Municipal Jose Zorrilla.

And although they took a while to get going, Xavi's goal on 43 minutes gave Barca the lead heading into the break.

Argentine forward Lionel Messi bagged his 91st goal of the calendar year on the hour-mark and although Javi Guerra's 89th-minute effort gave the winners a slight scare, it only lasted a matter of minutes.

Substitute Tello was on hand to seal the result in second half stoppage time as Barcelona extended their lead on the second-placed Atletico Madrid.

And Barca would have been delighted with Real Madrid's 3-2 loss at Malaga which leaves last season's champions a whopping 16 points off the pace.

After a goalless first half, Isco's 49th-minute opener for Malaga stung their opponents into gear and they responded on 66 minutes thanks to a Sergio Sanchez own goal.

But a quick-fired double from Malaga's Paraguayan striker Roque Santa Cruz had more than 27,000 fans in Malaga delighted and although Karim Benzema pulled a late goal back, Jose Mourinho's men suffered another disappointing defeat.

Malaga – who sit fourth on the table – are now just two points behind Real Madrid.

Other results saw Real Mallorca climb out of the relegation zone with a 2-1 win at fifth-placed Real Betis.

Benat put Betis in front after just six minutes but Victor and Javi Marquez responded for the strugglers who snapped a 14-match winless streak with the surprise result.

Mainz and Dani Benitez netted for Granada in a 2-1 win at Osasuna while Athletic Bilbao and Real Zaragoza played out a goalless draw.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

241262_thumb.jpg

Messi: If Barcelona are not winning, my goals are meaningless
The Argentina star stressed the team's desire to set things right after last season's Champions League disappointment, and revealed his "dream" to see out his career at Camp Nou

231043_thumb.jpg

'We are here to help Vilanova' - Alves
The Barcelona defender has said that football is not as important as the stricken coach's health, and that every win they manage in La Liga is dedicated to the 44-year-old

241739_thumb.jpg

'Casillas is the pride of Real Madrid' - Del Bosque
The Spain boss has come out in defence of his captain, who was controversially dropped in favour of Antonio Adan for the 3-2 loss to Malaga on Saturday

223757_thumb.jpg

Cruyff: Gap between Barca & Madrid not good for La Liga
The Blaugrana currently hold a 16-point advantage over the reigning champions going into the winter break, and the Dutchman feels the competition is already over

206079_thumb.jpg

Bielsa: Athletic have been in this situation too often
The San Mames boss is hugely disappointed with the way the first half of the season has gone for his team, and admitted that their performances have not been good enough

210298_thumb.jpg

Guti: Casillas knows he is the best in the world
The retired midfielder has hailed his former team-mate's ability after the goalkeeper was dropped in favour of Antonio Adan

241739_thumb.jpg

We must respect Mourinho's decision, says Casillas
The Real Madrid captain has decided not to light the blue touchpaper about the Portuguese's decision to drop him insisting that the team comes first before him

234620_thumb.jpg

Zubizarreta: In January Barcelona will keep Villa
The Blaugrana director of football insists that the former Valencia striker will remain at Camp Nou despite reports linking him with a move to Arsenal in the new year

231681_thumb.jpg

Pepe: Dressing room is on a bit of a downer
The Madrid centre-back believes morale within the squad is low after another defeat in the league has left the club trailing Barcelona by 16 points heading into the break

227458_thumb.jpg

You have to seize your chances at Barcelona, says Tello
The Blaugrana youngster admits that competition is fierce at Camp Nou but remains positive about his opportunities to play in "the best team in the world"

230392_thumb.jpg

Pinto set to commit to Barcelona until 2014
The veteran stopper is due to sign an extension to his current deal which will keep him at Camp Nou until June 2014

48718_thumb.jpg

Butragueno: Real Madrid played well against Malaga
The former Los Blancos striker feels that the reigning champions performed well in defeat and believes their resilience gives them a chance to still win the title

241278_thumb.jpg

Dropping Casillas is the latest in a long line of controversies for Mourinho
The Portuguese appears on thin ice after leaving club captain and icon Iker on the bench in the 3-2 defeat at Malaga on Saturday as his side fell 16 points behind Barca in La Liga

241819_thumb.jpg

Hazard dreams of playing for Real Madrid, reveals Belgium team-mate Benteke
The Aston Villa striker praised his compatriot's start to life at Stamford Bridge, suggesting there is no reason why he cannot play for the Spanish giants if he continues his form

159882_thumb.jpg

Xavi: Barcelona win was for Vilanova
The Blaugrana midfielder dedicates the victory over Valladolid to his side's coach, as he returned from hospital after a successful operation on his parotid gland

193900_thumb.jpg

Toni Grande shocked at Casillas being dropped by Mourinho
The assistant coach to Spain boss Vicente del Bosque admitted that it was strange to see the Blancos captain and international goalkeeper on the bench on Saturday night

211554_thumb.jpg

Pellegrini: Malaga win over Real Madrid fitting end to brilliant year
Despite sanctions imposed by Uefa, the Boquerones boss insists the future of his side will be determined by results on the field, expressing his joy with the season so far

235808_thumb.jpg

'Mourinho was showing his power' - Valdano
The Real Madrid boss controversially dropped Iker Casillas for the 3-2 loss to Malaga on Saturday, and the club legend has claimed that the Portuguese was stamping his authority

241278_thumb.jpg

Mourinho defends decision to drop Casillas
The Real Madrid head coach responds to those who were critical of him selecting Antonio Adan ahead of the club captain in their 3-2 defeat to Malaga

229653_thumb.jpg

Ramos surprised at Casillas snub in Madrid defeat
The Blancos defender admits it will be difficult to retain the Spanish title after falling 16 points behind leaders Barcelona at the winter break due to their 3-2 loss at Malaga

241482_thumb.jpg

Barcelona assistant Roura reveals team joy at Vilanova recovering
The Blaugrana head coach undertook surgery to eradicate a cancerous growth in his salivary gland and has left hospital, much to the delight of his squad

59920_thumb.jpg

Valencia need to be tighter at the back, says Valverde
The coach was pleased with his team's work rate and desire in the victory against the Azulones, but was disappointed by his side's defensive display at the Mestalla

221305_thumb.jpg

Barcelona confirm Vilanova has been released from hospital
The Catalans have announced that the coach has left the Vall d'Hebron facility and can return home after he underwent successful surgery on Thursday following a cancer relapse

230640_thumb.jpg

Joaquin targets second-placed finish in La Liga for Malaga
The Spanish winger has spoken about his side's aspirations prior to them facing a difficult match against Real Madrid

241565_thumb.jpg

Isco wins Tuttosport's Golden Boy award
The 20-year-old attacker succeeds the likes of Lionel Messi, Cesc Fabregas and Wayne Rooney in being named the best young player in Europe by the Italian newspaper

235931_thumb.jpg

Barcelona's Busquets has confidence in stand-in coach Roura
The Spanish defensive midfielder has expressed his faith in stand-in coach Jordi Roura, but says his side must beat Real Valladolid on Saturday for Tito Vilanova

233894_thumb.jpg

Mourinho says Kaka is unlikely to leave Bernabeu during transfer window
The Portuguese coach says the attacker is unlikely to depart in January, and spoke about Uefa's recent sanctions towards Saturday's opponents Malaga

237655_thumb.jpg

Malaga ready to take Uefa to CAS following European ban
Vicente Casado, the general director of the Andalucians, insists he will have no qualms in fighting the case in court as he retains every confidence in his side's integrity

222496_thumb.jpg

Spain job will be my last, says Del Bosque
The veteran trainer has assured fans of La Roja that he will not abandon the national team, while hinting at a possible international future for in-form Swansea ace Michu

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'My grandfather taught me what it meant to be a Barca fan' - Pique

The 25-year-old was made a member of the club just days after his birth, and has hailed his relatives for teaching him the principles of supporting the club

Dec 21, 2012 6:05:00 PM
By Gerard Brand

241091hp2.jpg

Amador Bernabeu- Gerard pique- 25th year membership of Pique in Barcelona

Gerard Pique has thanked his grandfather for teaching him the principles being a Barcelona fan when he was a child.

The 25-year-old grew up in the club's Catalan heartland, and has spent his entire playing career at Camp Nou, barring brief spells at Manchester United and Zaragoza.

He was made a member of the club by his grandfather, board member Amador Bernabeu, just a few days after his birth, and recently celebrated 25 years of being a socio.

"I'm very proud - apart from the fact I didn't take the decision to become a socio, because I was only a few days old, but it's true that my grandfather and then my parents made me aware of what it means to be a fan, how to be a Barcelonista, and I'm very proud of that," he told Uefa.com.

"It was my grandfather's idea. He was on the board of directors of Barcelona, and from the beginning he wanted to make me a Barcelonista.

"I have to thank him because now I'm celebrating my 25th anniversary because of him."

Pique is now expected to become a father in mid-January, and the player went on to admit that his current situation has brought new maturity with it.

"I believe love changes you. It's a very important part of your life. And when you have it, you see things in a different way than you might have done before.

"When you're single, you concentrate very much on football and your friends. Now it's about your partner, and there's a baby coming too; so things change and you have to adapt.

"But I think everything that's happening to me now is beautiful."

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: I hope Rafa wasn't thinking about Madrid during Club World Cup defeat

The 'special one' takes another dig at the Blues' manager while adding to the uncertainty surrounding his position as Los Blancos manager

Dec 21, 2012 7:30:00 PM
By Gerard Brand

239960hp2.jpg

The long-standing rivalry between Jose Mourinho and Rafael Benitez again came to the fore on Friday as the Real Madrid manager questioned Chelsea’s performance against Corinthians in the Club World Cup Final.

The Blues lost 1-0 to the Brazilian side in Yokohama last Sunday, and interim manager Benitez has endured a tough time since taking over from Roberto di Matteo in November.

And Mourinho suggested that there could be a possibility that Benitez will succeed him at the Bernabeu.

“I do not know where he will go,” the 49-year-old stated at a press conference. “But as a fan of Chelsea, I hope that during the game against Corinthians he was not thinking of Madrid.”

The former Chelsea boss also took the time to discuss his side’s recent poor form, with rivals Barcelona now 13 points ahead of current champions Madrid in La Liga after his side dropped two points at home in a 2-2 draw Espanyol.

“What happens is the fault of those who won the League. Everyone is guilty. Everyone must find motivation so that we can improve. I unashamedly say that we are unhappy with the [displays in] recent months. We have to improve in everything.

“I have more experience of victories than defeat. I’ve had 400 games and only lost 10 per cent of them, so I have to adapt to this situation."

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: I have a clear conscience over dropping Casillas

The Portuguese has been criticised for starting Antonio Adan over the club captain in Saturday's defeat, but is standing by his decision

Dec 23, 2012 7:50:00 PM
By Miles Chambers

240218hp2.jpg

Jose Mourinho insists that he has a clear conscience over dropping Iker Casillas in Real Madrid’s 3-2 defeat to Malaga on Saturday night.

Antonio Adan, widely considered inferior to the club captain, was chosen to start between the sticks by the Portuguese coach.

The defeat ensured that los Blancos are now 16 points behind Barcelona in La Liga, but Mourinho defended his decision and claimed he was merely picking what he saw as the strongest starting line-up.

"I have a clear conscience. Trying to make the best team for each match," he told Marca.

The former Chelsea, Inter and Porto boss added: "Losing makes you realise what others suffer."

With the league title now looking almost impossible to retain, Mourinho will hope his side fare better in the knockout stages of the Champions League.

The Spanish giants face Manchester United in one of the highlights of the last 16 draw, which also sees Barcelona drawn against AC Milan; Valencia up against Paris Saint-Germain; and Malaga tasked with surpassing Porto.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

231681_thumb.jpg

'When things go wrong, it's the foreigners who pay' - Carlos Secretario backs Pepe claims
The former Blancos defender agrees that his compatriots are often unfairly maligned in La Liga, although the president of the Spanish National Sports Council has disagreed

178357_thumb.jpg

Abidal: I make the effort for Tito and me
The France defender believes he and his coach have a mutual understanding following their respective battles with ill health, and says he tries to learn from his team-mates

241360_thumb.jpg

Juventus to make renewed bid of €7 million for Llorente
The Old Lady are prepared to redouble their efforts to sign the Spain international, having seen a previous bid of €4m rejected for the target man by the Basque club

207387_thumb.jpg

Iniesta: Barcelona's cycle of winning can go on for several years
The midfielder has warned that the Blaugrana will not become a diminished force any time soon, and commented on the shock news on Tito Vilanova and his Ballon d'Or chances

213955_thumb.jpg

Romeu: Barcelona striker Villa would be welcome at Chelsea
The Spanish midfielder, currently ruled out of action for six months, has urged the London club to sign the Barcelona attacker after recent speculation over the forward's future

202090_thumb.jpg

Albiol wants 'best in the world' Ronaldo to remain at Real Madrid
The Blancos defender hopes that the Portuguese attacker signs a new contract at Santiago Bernabeu, and he also believes that Iker Casillas' omission was blown out of proportion

221612_thumb.jpg

Iniesta: Villa is a key player for Barcelona
The Blaugrana striker has been linked with a move to the Premier League in the January transfer window, but the Ballon d'Or candidate hopes that his team-mate remains at Camp Nou

217552_thumb.jpg

Herrera: I want to play for Athletic Bilbao for a 'long time'
The 22-year-old midfielder says he hopes to play for the Liga club for the foreseeable future following his arrival at the Sam Mames in 2011

241130_thumb.jpg

Kluivert believes Messi is best player of all time
The former Barcelona star thinks that the Argentine is peerless, and sympathises with Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo for having to compete with him for awards

187302_thumb.jpg

Lippi plays down Madrid rumour despite Zidane recommendation
The 64-year-old World Cup winner refuses to be enticed into talk of replacing Jose Mourinho at the Bernabeu, saying he is happy with the job he has done at the Chinese champions

242516_thumb.jpg

'Mourinho did it in Madrid's best interests' - Del Bosque plays down Casillas omission
The Spain boss believes the saga involving his goalkeeper and the Blancos coach has been blown out of proportion but hinted at a possible international career for Antonio Adan

235808_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Now is the wrong time to discuss my future
The Portuguese trainer's position at the Santiago Bernabeu has come under intense scrutiny in recent weeks, but he refused to be drawn in on the furore surrounding his fate

236050_thumb.jpg

Juventus and PSG behind Barcelona in Europe, says Ancelotti
The former AC Milan boss feels the Catalan giants are the benchmark to aim for, while is also resigned to missing out on reported targets Daniele De Rossi and Wesley Sneijder

242402_thumb.jpg

Figo: Ronaldo deserves Ballon d'Or
The 40-year-old believes his compatriot is a worthy candidate following his exceptional form in 2012, but feels it is very difficult to predict who will claim the prize

239159_thumb.jpg

Neymar: I have no preference for Barca
The Brazil starlet suggested that a move to Camp Nou is not the only option for him in Europe, while adding that his only goal is to enjoy himself wherever he is

163554_thumb.jpg

Villa's future 'in Barcelona's hands', admits agent
The forward has been linked with a Premier League move after being restricted to cameo appearances this season, but his representative insists he will not force a transfer

103038_thumb.jpg

Tabarez: Barcelona are the best I have ever seen
The Uruguay coach has praised the club’s long-term strategy for success and hailed Brazil's appointment of Luiz Felipe Scolari

229182_thumb.jpg

Mascherano: My hero growing up was Makelele
The midfielder has revealed his admiration for the ex-Chelsea star, while naming Marcelo Bielsa, Pep Guardiola, Rafael Benitez and Tito Vilanova as his favourite coaches

241962_thumb.jpg

Mourinho has no problem with Casillas, says ex-Madrid goalkeeper Buyo
The former Blancos man feels it is the shot-stopper's performances the Portuguese coach is unhappy with rather than it being a personal issue, and says Europe is now the priority

237947_thumb.jpg

Caminero: Atletico made a titanic effort to keep Falcao
The sporting director emphasised the sacrifices his side made to ensure the prolific Colombia striker stayed in the Spanish capital and hailed Diego Simeone's reign at the helm

229777_thumb.jpg

Portuguese players face huge pressures in La Liga - Pepe
The 29-year-old, named Portugal's Person of the Year for 2012 by Record, reveals he considered quitting football after an incident with Javier Casquero in the 2008-09 season

241278_thumb.jpg

Mourinho not leaving Real Madrid, says Louro
The goalkeeping coach does not expect the trainer to leave Los Blancos despite recent poor results, and insists the side remain as hungry as ever to win trophies

229181_thumb.jpg

There is no set date for my comeback, says Abidal
The defender insists he will return to first-team action when he feels physically ready, and added that he intends to see out his career in Catalunya despite interest from PSG

241962_thumb.jpg

Former Sevilla keeper Dasayev says Casillas is tired
The former Spartak Moscow keeper admitted it was "a surprise" to see the Blancos captain dropped, but feels the number of games played in recent seasons may have taken its toll

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ex-Barca boss Cruyff attacks Real Madrid's 'personality'

The Netherlands icon believes Los Blancos do not set the same example to young players as Barcelona, and discussed the future plans of Pep Guardiola

Dec 26, 2012 10:20:00 AM
By Joe Wright

228225hp2.jpg

Johan Cruyff has slammed the current set-up at Real Madrid by attacking the club's "personality" and the way the side teach their young players to behave.

The former Barcelona coach believes Los Blancos should look to the Blaugrana when it comes to the example to set to young players, and suggested that Jose Mourinho's team are not as level-headed as those of the Liga leaders.

"What really annoys me about Madrid today is the personality the club has adopted, the way they teach their young players to be," he told AS.

"Look at how Xavi, [Andres] Iniesta or [Lionel] Messi behave and you'll know what I mean. They're normal, down-to-earth guys."

Cruyff went on to highlight the reasons behind Barcelona's impressive recent form, citing the pressure they apply after losing possession as the key to their style on the pitch.

"To know how Barcelona play, look at the team when it doesn't have the ball," Cruyff said. "They pressure their opponent right up to the goalkeeper to get the ball back as quickly as possible. The most difficult thing in football is to do the easy things and do them well. That's the difference between Barca and all the rest."

Cruyff credits much of this style to former boss Pep Guardiola, and believes that the former midfielder would be able to implement the same system at whichever club he chooses to coach next, provided they allow him the time to do so.

When asked about the future of Guardiola in the game, he said: "He's too young to stop. He'll be back, but to do something different. Who knows what. Maybe he'll manage a national team - that has its pros and cons.

"To adopt Pep's style of play, you have to train a lot. If he goes to a club, he'll have to impose his vision and his system on the team. It'll have to be a club where he can do his job without interference and where his style will be appreciated by the supporters.

"If he wants to be at a new club for four or five years, he'll need a president who gives him carte blanche to implement his vision."

The former Ajax star also said he believes Sapin's national manager Vicente Del Bosque should be awarded the Coach of the Year prize at the Ballon d'Or ceremony early next month.

"For me it has to be Vicente del Bosque for what he's achieved and the way he has conducted himself," Cruyff added.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Messi turns down whopping £460,000-a-WEEK deal after Anzhi trigger his £205m Barcelona release clause

By TOM SHEEN PUBLISHED: 01:08 GMT, 28 December 2012 | UPDATED: 06:08 GMT, 28 December 2012

Lionel Messi turned down a blockbusting move to an unknown Russian club after a bid of £205million triggered his release clause. The club, thought to be Anzhi Makhachkala, then offered a blockbusting £460,000-a-week deal to the Argentine superstar, a massive £24m a year after tax, according to The Sun.

article-2254006-12BFD303000005DC-758_468x356.jpg

How much??? Even £460,000 a week couldn't tempt Messi to leave Barca

Barcelona were obliged to accept the massive offer but a gobsmacked Messi quickly rejected the move after discussions with Barca president Sandro Rosell and his family.The three-time World Player of the Year, who scored a record breaking 91 goals this calendar year, then pledged his future by signing a new deal with the Catalan giants.

article-0-16A06A09000005DC-878_468x551.jpg

Record-breaker: The deal would've eclipsed the world record fee of £80m rivals Real Madrid paid for Cristiano Ronaldo

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

189522_thumb.jpg

I hope Iniesta wins the Ballon d'Or, says Del Bosque
The 62-year-old would rather the Roja midfielder scooped the award instead of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, and also praised the strength in depth that his country boasts

239087_thumb.jpg

'Neymar & Messi together would be spectacular' - Ramalho
The Santos coach hailed his star player as a genius, and he believes the Brazil starlet would fit in best at Barcelona due to their fluidity, compared to Real Madrid's rigidness

170106_thumb.jpg

Arsenal table €12.5m offer for Adrian Lopez
Arsene Wenger has also targeted moves for David Villa and Fernando Llorente but is reluctant to step up his interest in Newcastle United forward Demba Ba due to injury concerns

170163_thumb.jpg

No ‘magic bullet’ to beat Barcelona, says Rijkaard
The former Blaugrana boss believes that incredible discipline is needed to conquer Tito Vilanova’s team, and he tips Lionel Messi for Ballon d’Or success

232253_thumb.jpg

Deportivo sack head coach Oltra with side sitting bottom of La Liga
The Spanish side sit rock-bottom of La Liga with 12 points, though the president announced that the decision was actually made 10 days prior due to the ‘irreversible’ form slip

181231_thumb.jpg

Capello: Nobody is bigger than Madrid
The former England boss says that the decision by the Blancos coach to drop the Spanish keeper must be respected as the club will always be more important than any one player

242669_thumb.jpg

Maradona: It is great that Mourinho dropped Casillas
The Argentine legend believes that the Portuguese trainer had every right to bench the club captain, and stated that he foresaw los Blancos' slump in form

229787_thumb.jpg

Xabi Alonso in the dark over contract situation at Real Madrid
The former Liverpool midfielder, who is bound to the Santiago Bernabeu outfit until 2014, has revealed that he has not discussed any extension to his deal

240958_thumb.jpg

Rosell: Barcelona value spirit of fair play above winning trophies
The Blaugrana supremo insists that while ensuring silverware is a priority, the responsibility of instilling moral values in their players is more important

226598_thumb.jpg

Alba: It's easy to play with Barcelona because they have so much quality
The full-back believes he has fulfilled a dream by returning to break into the first team at Camp Nou, adding that he could not have asked for any more after a spectacular 2012

233803_thumb.jpg

Falcao's future will be decided in the summer, says Marin
The Rojiblancos official believes the Colombia star has "earned the right" to chose his own destiny, adding that the risks Atletico Madrid took to sign him have paid dividends

241360_thumb.jpg

I'm leaving Athletic Bilbao, confirms Llorente
The Spain international has revealed he plans to depart the Basque outfit, but was coy on his destination, stating that his future was in the hands of his agent

242990_thumb.jpg

Illgner: I saw no reason to drop Casillas
The ex-Germany keeper admits he was surprised at Mourinho's decision but has backed the Spain star to come back stronger, and believes Real Madrid can win the Champions League

237012_thumb.jpg

Bojan return to Barcelona possible, says father
The attacker was sold to Roma for around €12 million in 2011 before being loaned out to AC Milan this season, but his father insists that his future may be back at Camp Nou

230681_thumb.jpg

Piatti says Valencia must improve for the fans
The Argentine forward says his team must do more in order to produce results fans can appreciate, but admits he is proud to be playing in La Liga

228186_thumb.jpg

Llorente insists depleting contract will not mean loss of focus
With the January window looming and the potential for the Athletic Bilbao striker to seek a new club approaching, he has moved to calm fears that his concentration will be affected

237370_thumb.jpg

Barca's Rafinha wants to face brother Thiago with Brazil
The promising attacker, who pledged his allegiance to the Selecao, is keen to meet on the international stage with his sibling, who opted to represent la Furia Roja

237947_thumb.jpg

Falcao rules out January transfer
The Colombian star has stated that he intends to stay with Atletico Madrid until the end of the season, but made clear that he will certainly play in a different league one day

215008_thumb.jpg

I think Ronaldo will stay but I don't know about Mourinho, says Pepe
The former Porto man is of the opinion that the attacker will renew his deal with los Blancos, but is unaware as to whether the coach will follow suit

223284_thumb.jpg

Simeone: La Liga is not boring, it is unequal
The Argentine coach moved to correct a previous statement in which he claimed Spain's top division is dull, and added that "time will tell" if his is the best Atletico Madrid ever

186403_thumb.jpg

Laporta: Paris Saint-Germain must adopt Barcelona's philosophy
The ex-Blaugrana president believes the Ligue 1 side must enhance their own personality, and revealed his pride at having spent time with "the greatest team in history"

188020_thumb.jpg

Guardiola will return next year, says Laporta
The former president believes that the coach will be back in the hot seat somewhere in 2013, but he cast doubt over the possibility of Paris Saint-Germain

238028_thumb.jpg

Anzhi rubbish rumours of €250 million bid for Messi
The club's marketing consultant says there is not a 'shred of truth' in reports linking the Barcelona star with his side, and said such a transfer goes against their principles

242666_thumb.jpg

Maradona: Mourinho is one of the world's top coaches
The Argentina legend thinks that the Real Madrid head coach’s attention to his players is key to his continuing successes, and believes the ex-Inter boss commands respect

242671_thumb.jpg

Mourinho shrugs off Casillas snub as a success for coaches
The Portuguese is looking forward to the Blancos facing Manchester United in the last 16 of the Champions League, and dismissed suggestions he wants the Paris Saint-Germain job

174425_thumb.jpg

Vilanova will return to Barcelona hot seat in 15-20 days, says Rosell
The president of the Catalan club said that the coach will combine working with his cancer treatment, and he also revealed that he wants Carles Puyol and Xavi to remain at Camp Nou

224657_thumb.jpg

Ancelotti rules out Ronaldo swoop
The Paris Saint-Germain head coach believes that his current squad have enough quality not to need the Real Madrid star, and cited financial impossibilities as another reason

236286_thumb.jpg

Mourinho needs our support, says Di Stefano
The legendary attacker has stressed that everyone connected to the team should stand behind the trainer and stated that los Blancos are capable of winning the Champions League

238027_thumb.jpg

Messi used to be so small I didn't think he could make it, says former agent
The former representative of the Argentine attacker has reflected on his first encounter with the player, and told the story of how the Ballon d'Or holder ended up in Spain

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

234620_thumb.jpg

David Villa is sad and out of favour, but set to stay at Barcelona until the summer
The Spain striker has seen first-team appearances hard to come by this term and is ready to call time on his Camp Nou career, but his club will not sanction a sale mid-season

230685_thumb.jpg

Feghouli: I always planned to stay at Valencia
The Algerian, who delayed flying out for the Africa Cup of Nations, has proclaimed that he never had any intention of leaving the Mestalla after signing a contract extension

230390_thumb.jpg

Mascherano praises Aguirre impact at Espanyol ahead of Barcelona derby
The former Liverpool and West Ham United midfielder believes Sunday’s clash will be difficult, and also said that it felt great having Tito Vilanova close to the players again

241278_thumb.jpg

Valdano insists Mourinho has ‘average’ Madrid record
The former Santiago Bernabeu sporting director believes that the Portuguese coach is yet to excel with the Blancos, and hailed Pep Guardiola’s ‘romantic’ style of football

238367_thumb.jpg

Casillas wins Goalkeeper of the Year award
The captain beat away competition from the likes of Petr Cech, Victor Valdes and Joe Hart to take the International Federation of Football History and Statistics award

243881_thumb.jpg

Iniesta hoping to end career with Barcelona
The Spain midfielder hopes to play with the Blaugrana until he retires from the game, but says he must maintain his current performances at Camp Nou to do so

242569_thumb.jpg

'If PSG want Cristiano Ronaldo, we'll call Perez' - Al Khelaifi
The Real Madrid attacker has been linked with a move away from the Santiago Bernabeu, but the Parisians' president is adamant any move will go through the proper channels

233011_thumb.jpg

Barcelona have not won La Liga yet, warns Iniesta
The Spain international says his team-mates would be wise to continue with the same hunger they had at the start of the season, or risk becoming complacent

241739_thumb.jpg

Arbeloa: Casillas has shown what a professional he is
The Real Madrid skipper was left out of the last game before the winter hiatus, but his team-mate has praised his reaction to Jose Mourinho's decision

160389_thumb.jpg

Del Nido: Sevilla have rejected a €16m bid for Negredo
The club's president claims his side turned down the offer for the Spain international, and says they are not in a position where they are forced to sell players

230386_thumb.jpg

Arsenal make formal David Villa approach as they prepare second Adrian Lopez bid
Arsene Wenger is willing to pay up to €17m to secure the permanent signing of Spain's record goalscorer while the Gunners are also still in talks with Atletico Madrid

228186_thumb.jpg

Juventus not giving up on January move for Llorente
The Bianconeri are already in talks with the Spain international over a move in the summer, but they remain hopeful that they can get their man sooner to help strengthen the side

58166_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid still a notch above Barcelona, insists Kopa
The ex-France ace believes the current Primera Division leaders remain second best in Spain for now following Madrid's impressive history, though, says Barca play "better" football

231182_thumb.jpg

Feghouli signs Valencia extension until 2016
The 23-year-old France-born attacker, who has been in great form this season, has ended speculation about his future by inking a two-year extension with the Mestalla side

204161_thumb.jpg

Pepe's absence will affect Real Madrid, says Sergio Ramos
The former Porto centre-back is expected to be unavailable for at least four weeks due to injury, and his team-mate is concerned that his absence could hurt Los Blancos

210839_thumb.jpg

Gurpegui: We hope Llorente will help us until the end
The Spanish defensive midfielder has expressed his desire for the side's striker ‘saga’ to end quickly and hopes his team-mate will stay until the end of his contract

117430_thumb.jpg

We can beat Barcelona, says Espanyol's Capdevila
The former Spain international is optimistic los Periquitos can take something away from their visit to the Camp Nou this weekend despite Barca's impressive form

109117_thumb.jpg

Elustondo: We are not scared of Real Madrid
The Real Sociedad midfielder believes his team must go out fighting when they face Real Madrid on Sunday

237599_thumb.jpg

Burak: It feels good to compete against Messi and Ronaldo
The Turkey attacker has received abuse following comparisons with his Real Madrid and Barcelona counterparts but says he enjoys competing with them

237947_thumb.jpg

It is totally untrue that Falcao has an agreement with Real Madrid, claims Cerezo
Clearly agitated by rumours that his star is off to his club's arch-rivals, the Atleti president has made it clear that his Colombian ace is not going anywhere

159096_thumb.jpg

Soldado: I think Gago will remain at Valencia
The Spain international is looking forward to the return from injury of his former Argentine team-mate who he believes will not leave the Mestalla despite recent speculation

237012_thumb.jpg

I know we will face the best team in the world, says AC Milan's Bojan
The former Catalan starlet is wary of the Spanish giants ahead of his side's Champions League clash and he did not rule out a return to his former stomping ground

218404_thumb.jpg

I don't know if Neymar would fit at Barcelona - Pedro
The Blaugrana forward has praised the Brazilian wonderkid but also expressed his doubts over the South American's ability to gel with the team in case of a transfer to Europe

229188_thumb.jpg

Valdes: My dream is to retire at Barcelona
The Blaugrana goalkeeper has expressed his desire to stay with the Catalans until the end of his career, and insisted that his side have not won La Liga yet

214177_thumb.jpg

Sergio Ramos: Real Madrid can still win La Liga
The Spain international feels that his team have now found their form and he is confident that los Blancos still have a shot to challenge for silverware this term

241360_thumb.jpg

Juventus in Llorente negotiations
The Liga outfit have revealed they have been contacted by the Old Lady, who wish to acquire the Spain international when his current deal with Marcelo Bielsa's side ends in June

239960_thumb.jpg

Mourinho would consider a move to UAE, says Flores
The 49-year-old has been linked with Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain should he leave Real Madrid, but the ex-Spain defender thinks he could move to the Middle East

239962_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo: I still have feelings for Manchester United
The Portugal striker has revealed he still holds the Premier League runners-up in high regard, but has admitted it will not prevent him trying to score and defeat them in Europe

228225_thumb.jpg

Cruyff labels Real Madrid season a 'failure'
The Netherlands icon feels the points gap between Spain's two biggest sides is remarkable at this stage of the season, and questioned the decision to drop Iker Casillas

109913_thumb.jpg

Celta Vigo secure Vadim Demidov on loan
The Liga side have brought the Norway international back to Spain until the end of the season with the defender already thinking about extending his stay beyond the summer months

239963_thumb.jpg

Modric: I have something to offer Real Madrid
Los Blancos' summer signing insists he can justify the huge investment made in him following the winter break, after a disappointing start to his career at the Santiago Bernabeu

229312_thumb.jpg

Arda Turan is going nowhere, says Simeone
The Atletico Madrid boss has said that he does not expect the midfielder to leave Los Rojiblancos in the January transfer window, while also is still to have talks about signings

220628_thumb.jpg

Valdez: I gave my word to stay at Valencia
The Paraguay international has revealed his desire to make his loan spell at the Costa Blanca club a pernament move after playing more regular first-team football at the Liga side

230685_thumb.jpg

Feghouli keen to complete Valencia contract talks before AFCON commences
The Algerian has delayed meeting up with his national team ahead of the African tournament to try and thrash out a deal to see him stay at the Mestalla until 2016

241283_thumb.jpg

Boca Juniors reveal Gago bid
The Argentina outfit have revealed that they have made a formal offer for the Valencia midfielder and would like to bring him back to his homeland in January

241244_thumb.jpg

Messi: I wish Argentina could be as successful as Barcelona
The Albiceleste star says that he desperately wants the national team to win trophies in the near future, and also wished Camp Nou coach Tito Vilanova a speedy recovery

240398_thumb.jpg

I think Mourinho will stay, says Ronaldo
The 27-year-old insists that the current head coach is the right man to lead the Blancos forward, but added that he will not discuss his own contract renewal any further

55066_thumb.jpg

Cerezo: Atletico must end Real Madrid and Barcelona dominance
The Rojiblancos supremo says it is vital for the game that his side breaks the pair's dominance in La Liga and praised the work of coach Diego Simeone

202080_thumb.jpg

Mourinho hoping to replicate 2012 success
The Portuguese lifted La Liga last season but has endured a tough end to the year, though that has not stopped him from clinging on to the hope of winning more silverware

240098_thumb.jpg

Deco: Mourinho feats harder than Guardiola's
The Fluminense midfielder enjoyed great success with Barcelona, but has given his backing to the Real Madrid boss when asked for his thoughts on the two coaches

239998_thumb.jpg

Alexis Sanchez: I want to stay at Barcelona
The Blaugrana winger has made it clear that he wishes to remain a player at the club and wants to continue to help the four-time Champions league winners earn more silverware

238367_thumb.jpg

Casillas 'working hard' to regain Real Madrid spot
The Spain goalkeeper is desperate to return to the Blancos first team, as he issued a rallying call to his team-mates ahead of their next two games - both at the Santiago Bernabeu

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga preview: Real hope to fight back in title race

3 January 2013

300112header.jpg

Real Madrid captain Iker Casillas has not given up hope of defending their La Liga crown ahead of Sunday's match against Real Sociedad.

With a quiet festive period over, Jose Mourinho's men return to action against Sociedad, who are unbeaten in eight league matches.

The reigning champions are 16 points adrift of leaders and arch-rivals Barcelona after 17 games but Casillas is entering the New Year with a positive frame of mind.

"When things don't go well, it means we are low on morale," he said.

"The players have to be wanting more and cannot be sad. Our goal is to remain ambitious. The day I have no ambition left is the day that I will not be sitting here.

"We are 16 points off the pace, it's not what we wanted but 2013 has arrived, and, as I said last week, what we have to do is try to cut the deficit.

"I know the situation is difficult but it's not impossible."

Despite Real's disappointing form to date, the Madrid-based outfit have not lost to Sociedad in the past 11 clashes with the club.

Meanwhile, Barcelona will welcome lowly Espanyol to the Nou Camp on Sunday, aiming to maintain their undefeated campaign.

Barca have recorded 16 victories and one draw, helping them move nine points clear at the summit.

Tito Vilanova's men have also scored a league-high 57 goals, thanks to the majestic Lionel Messi, who has led the way with 26.

Their opponents Espanyol, however, have endured a difficult start to the season and occupy the final relegation spot on goal difference.

In other fixtures across the weekend, second-placed Atletico Madrid travel to Mallorca on Sunday looking to end their two-game losing streak away from home.

High-flying Malaga, who sit two points behind Real in fourth position, make the trip to basement side Deportivo La Coruna, Levante entertain last season's Copa del Rey finalists Athletic Bilbao and Real Zaragoza will look to snap a two-match losing run on home soil when Real Betis take to the field on Friday.

Ernesto Valverde's Valencia will clash with Granada, while Sevilla and Osasuna face off in a battle of the league's strugglers.

Promoted Celta de Vigo - outside of the drop zone on goal difference - will look to open 2013 with a bang when they host Real Valladolid and Getafe meet Real Vallecano in a mid-table encounter.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga: Real Zaragoza 1 Real Betis 2

5 January 2013

300191header.jpg

Real Betis held on at Real Zaragoza to record a 2-1 win on Saturday and stay fifth in La Liga.

Despite the home side dominating the opening half, with both Helder Postiga and Alvaro Gonzalez missing chances, it was Betis who went ahead through Ruben Castro when he calmly slotted the ball past the onrushing Roberto on the stroke of half-time.

The visitors continued to counter-attack and found a second goal on the break when Jorge Molina netted on 58 minutes.

Castro almost made it three but was denied twice by Roberto in the 73rd minute before Francisco Montanes pulled a goal back for the frustrated hosts with his close-range effort.

Zaragoza were unable to find an equaliser though, and their match finished on a sour note when Gonzalez was sent off for a second bookable offence lat on.

Betis' win was their sixth from nine games away from home in the league, the second best record in the division.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga wrap: Barca go 11 points clear

7 January 2013

300298header.jpg

Barcelona preserved their unbeaten start to the season with a 4-0 victory over Espanyol, while Real Madrid also won in a thriller.

A sublime opening half-hour from the home side did the damage, with Xavi opening the scoring after just 10 minutes at Camp Nou.

Pedro soon netted a double before Lionel Messi converted a penalty after Cesc Fabregas was brought down in the area.

With manager Tito Vilanova back on the touchline after surgery for cancer, Barcelona were seemingly buoyed by his return as they broke the deadlock through Xavi, who slotted home unmarked.

The hosts' were unrelenting and after Kiko Casilla made a great save to deny Iniesta in the 13th minute, it took just another two minutes for the second to come as Pedro sent the ball into the far corner of the net.

Midway through the half Sergio Garcia blazed a golden chance to halve the deficit over the bar and it proved costly as Pedro added Barcelona's third in the 27th minute.

And it went from bad to worse for the visitors with Messi netting his 27th La Liga goal of the season two minutes later.

Victory moves Barcelona 11 points clear at the top of the table following Atletico Madrid's 1-1 draw at Mallorca.

Defending champions Real Madrid secured a priceless 4-3 victory over Real Sociedad in a pulsating clash at the Bernabeu, despite playing most of the match with 10 men.

Jose Mourinho's men took the lead two minutes into the game through Karim Benzema before goalkeeper Antonio Adan was dismissed for a challenge inside the penalty area.

Xabi Prieto scored the resulting spot-kick to level proceedings but the hosts' restored their advantage in the 35th minute through German midfielder Sami Khedira.

Prieto levelled five minutes before the half-time break, however a quick-fire brace from Cristiano Ronaldo put the home side two goals ahead with 20 minutes left to play.

Sociedad, however, ensured a nervy finish as Prieto completed his hat-trick 14 minutes from time before their hopes were dashed when Daniel Estrada saw red for a second bookable offence.

Meanwhile, Iago Aspas bagged a first-half brace to help Celta de Vigo to a 3-1 victory over Real Valladolid.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga: Rayo Vallecano 3 Getafe 1

8 January 2013

300366header.jpg

Rayo Vallecano moved up to seventh in La Liga with an impressive victory over Getafe on Monday night.

Spanish veteran Piti netted a brace for the victors, while Lass also got his name on the scoresheet.

Paco Alcacer did manage to find the back of the net for Getafe, but it was a mere consolation as Rayo Vallecano picked up a deserved three points.

Rayo Vallecano started the better of the two sides and Lass gave them the lead after just 14 minutes when he struck from a tight angle.

That advantage was doubled just prior to the half hour mark when Javi Fuego set up Piti and the Rayo Vallecano forward made no mistake with his left boot.

Piti then grabbed his second just seven minutes into the second half to make it 3-0, only for Alcacer to nod home a goal for Getafe moments later to give the visitors hope.

Despite the fact both sides had late chances, the match finished 3-1 as Rayo Vallecano climbed to seventh to be just two points off a Europa League position.

Getafe remain in 10th place, some four points behind Rayo Vallecano.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

244376_thumb.jpg

Valverde: Granada red card was referee's decision
The Spaniard defended his player's behaviour amidst the team's contentious come-from-behind victory which ensured they would keep the pressure up in the race for fourth place

168425_thumb.jpg

Montanier praises Varane's potential
The French boss has lauded the quality of Real Madrid's backline and singled out the young defender for special praise, insisting the 19-year-old will become "world-class"

201043_thumb.jpg

Villas-Boas hails Guardiola and Mourinho
The 35-year-old praised the impact the former Barcelona boss made on modern football, while acknowledging the importance of his former mentor in his own journey as a coach

230115_thumb.jpg

Atletico Madrid can go far in every competition - Adrian
The forward is content with his side's start to the season and insists all of his team-mates will be working hard to maintain their impressive league form

231572_thumb.jpg

Aguero: Messi deserves Ballon d'Or
The Manchester City forward believes the Barcelona star should win the prestigious award, and says he hopes he too can one day take the crown

233918_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Players perform better when they have competition
The Portuguese coach insists that striking a balance between "trust and competitiveness" is vital in order to get players to reach their maximum level on the pitch

230390_thumb.jpg

Mascherano: We never imagined Tito would be back so soon
The Barcelona midfielder has been shocked by his coach's rapid recovery since undergoing surgery for cancer a month ago, and is expecting a tough match against Espanyol