• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║ La Liga Season 2012-13 ║║

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Madrid's €45m dilemma: Renewing Cristiano Ronaldo's contract will cost the Spanish side a fortune in taxes

Extending the Portuguese forward's deal will see the capital club liable to pay over 50 per cent tax on their prized asset, on top of the vast sums already paid on a fee and wages

Sep 4, 2012 8:00:00 AM

206512hp2.jpg

ANALYSIS
By Alberto Pinero | Spain's Real Madrid Correspondent

Cristiano Ronaldo is sad. That's exactly how the player himself described his current state of mind after Sunday night's 3-0 win over Granada, in which he scored twice, but refused to celebrate.

His post-match quotes set the alarm bells ringing at Real Madrid, already aware of Cristiano's unhappiness following a meeting the previous day with president Florentino Perez and sporting director Jose Angel Sanchez. But while the club were aware of the issue, they had not imagined it would cause such a furore the following day.

Ronaldo's reasons remain unclear, with Florentino, coach Jose Mourinho and even agent Jorge Mendes said to be in the dark regarding the player's problems with the club and his decision to air his grievances to the press on Sunday.

According to some of Spain's most prestigious press, it seems to be a combination of factors which have contributed to Cristiano's current melancholy. They all agree on one thing, however: at the root of the problem lie the negotiations for a new contract which are yet to bear fruit.

Ronaldo's agents have been in discussion with Madrid for some time over a deal to renew the Portuguese's contract. Cristiano has a deal until 2015 and receives around €10 million each year before tax. Performances on the pitch have been outstanding and, as the club had agreed in principle to extend his deal, the signature seemed a forgone conclusion.

168340hp2.jpg

The 'Beckham Law' | The Englishman benefited from low tax rates in Spain

Over the last three years, players such as Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Samuel Eto'o have earned more money than Ronaldo, despite performing at a lower level than the 27-year-old. And it is believed Cristiano was keen on upping his salary to become the world's highest-earning footballer this summer. Madrid, meanwhile, are aware of his worth - both on and off the pitch.

The problem, however, lies in the abolition of the so-called 'Beckham Law', which allowed foreigners who had lived in Spain for less than 10 years and who earned above €120,000 per annum to pay a lower tax rate of around 23 per cent and not the usual 45%. David Beckham was one of the first to take advantage of the law after his move in 2003.

Having arrived when the law was still in force, players like Cristiano and Kaka still benefit from those advantages, too, but will cease to do so as soon as they sign new contracts. That means Madrid are currently paying around €15.5m per year in wages to allow Ronaldo to take home €10m after tax. But if the reported raise to €15m becomes a reality with a renewal, the club will be forced to fork out a massive €31m, losing over half of that total to the taxman every year.

It is conceivable, then, that Madrid are currently unwilling to renew Ronaldo's deal on those terms, given that they can keep Cristiano until 2015 and save around €45m in taxes by letting him see out his present contract, albeit with the considerable risk of losing their star player for free at the end of his deal.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Del Bosque: I do not understand the transfer market, but I do understand the ball

The decorated coach expressed his passion and motivation for football during an in-depth interview, while also picking out Barcelona's Xavi as a potential future boss

Sep 4, 2012 10:40:00 PM

By Tom Webber

202218hp2.jpg

Spain trainer Vicente Del Bosque has admitted that he has never completely understood the transfer market and instead prefers to focus on his development as a coach.

The 61-year-old retired from professional football with Real Madrid in 1984 but remained at the club to undertake a career as a trainer and in an extensive interview with AS, he revealed that the quality of players and coaches at the Santiago Bernabeu moulded him into the coach he became.

"I do not understand business, I don’t understand transfer fees, the market - what I do understand is the ball, and that is thanks to all these trainers and players to have passed through Madrid. With each I gave them my eyes and ears. I was a sponge," Del Bosque said.

"But I’ve learned a lot from everyone who passed through the club since I retired as a player too. People like Leo Beenhakker, John Toshack, Jupp Heynckes, all of them I have tried to learn from."

The Champions League, World Cup and European Championship winner also revealed his motivation to succeed as well as a passion for youth development.

"Well, for starters I have tried to earn a living and support my family well. I follow my passion, which is football," he added.

"And then, professionally, the titles with Real Madrid and now with the national team, to see all those guys we were talking about earlier, to develop our footballers and as people too.

"But I think the most rewarding was working with the youth team, with the boys, their experiences, their families.

"During those years we gave back and I speak in plural because it was more than just me. Madrid had a gear to them where they cared and were generous, altruistic and often anonymous."

Del Bosque then picked out one of his current charges, Barcelona's Xavi, as a player he believes could well make the transition from player to coach.

"In Xavi I see a coaching future, really. He is an extension of the coach on the field, whilst his education is Barca," the Spaniard praised.

"He has taken in all that is good and that makes Barcelona. I believe in him. He has common sense and is friendly."

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: I joined Real Madrid in order to challenge Barcelona

The former Inter boss feels the Catalans and the Blancos are pushing each other to new heights and is pleased to be testing himself against the best

Sep 6, 2012 11:10:00 AM

By Stefan Coerts

207442hp2.jpg

Jose Mourinho has revealed that the chance to challenge Barcelona was one of the main reasons for him to join Real Madrid in the summer of 2010.

The flamboyant coach feels that La Liga is arguably the best competition in the world when it comes to the top teams, and believes the rivalry between both clubs is pushing them to new heights.

"We are talking about Barcelona and Real Madrid, two great teams. Pick any other team in the world, and they would not finish in the top two in La Liga," Mourinho told AS.

"And that's exactly why I joined Real Madrid. Because it's not easy to challenge Barcelona. It's very hard to be successful in this competition.

"Life's much easier in any other league. Any league where you are not locking horns with Barcelona is easier. Barca are the main reason why Madrid got to where we are now, because they set the bar very high.

"Barcelona's era of winning consecutive Liga titles is over, but their cycle has not come to an end yet. They are still a great team and so are Madrid.

"The rivalry between Madrid and Barcelona is a blessing for football. I don’t have any figures but I’m sure the Spanish Supercopa had a bigger audience than many Champions League games last term."

Madrid won the Supercup on the away-goals rule after recording a 2-1 win at home following a 3-2 loss in the first leg.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

207853_thumb.jpg

We are out for revenge, says Barcelona star Lionel Messi
The 25-year-old Argentine has warned that the Catalan giants are looking for a clean sweep of trophies this season

168183_thumb.jpg

Valencia's Pablo Piatti breaks arm in freak training ground accident
The winger broke his arm in training while attempting an overhead kick, following in the line of a number of players to have suffered bizarre injuries while at the club

205227_thumb.jpg

Milan wanted Barcelona midfielder Xavi, says his Mum
The 32-year-old's mother has claimed that the Italian giants made an offer for her son while he was playing for Barca's B team

202265_thumb.jpg

Enzo Francescoli: Messi is the closest thing I have seen to Maradona
The 50-year-old has revealed his admiration for the Barcelona forward and labelled him as the most comparable player to the Albiceleste legend

207367_thumb.jpg

Song will not have any problems adapting at Barcelona, says Cameroon legend
The former Espanyol star feels the midfielder will easily adapt to his new surroundings, and added that his previous spell at Arsenal will be an advantage

207329_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Madrid fans will love Modric
The Portuguese trainer believes his latest signing will quickly make an impact at the Liga champions, while reiterating that Kaka will get his chance at some point

206702_thumb.jpg

Iniesta deserved to win the Uefa Best Player in Europe Award, says Rijkaard
The former Blaugrana coach claimed that the 28-year-old midfielder is "an example for any player", and also gave his views on Cristiano Ronaldo's recent problems at Real Madrid

208098_thumb.jpg

'Saying my son wants to play for Real Madrid is not a sin' - Falcao's father reaffirms transfer comments
The Colombian striker's parent has told yet another media outlet that the Colchoneros star is keen on making the move to the Santiago Bernabeu at the end of the season

208171_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo acts completely normal, insists Ruben Amorim
The prolific attacker recently stated that he feels unhappy at Real Madrid, but his international team-mate feels the change of scenery has benefited him

207441_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Conte is the Italian Special One
The flamboyant Portuguese feels his Italian counterpart is a great coach, and believes Juventus can go far in the Champions League this term

207392_thumb.jpg

Cissokho: Valencia are as good as Barcelona & Real Madrid
The Frenchman is confident that the Mestalla outfit can challenge the two traditional Liga giants, and feels they will only improve once they get used to each other

208021_thumb.jpg

Fabregas: I want to retire at Barcelona
The Catalan midfielder has stressed his commitment to the Blaugrana and says he hopes they remain at Camp Nou for the foreseeable future

207874_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo does not want to leave Real Madrid, says Florentino Perez
The club president says the Portuguese star does not want to depart Los Blancos, but is sad for other reasons

206926_thumb.jpg

Falcao takes to Twitter to reject father's claims that he 'dreams' of playing for Real Madrid
The Colombian ace has reiterated his desire to remain with the Vicente Calderon outfit despite the intense speculation regarding his future, not least from his family members

205113_thumb.jpg

Xavi: Vilanova can lead Barcelona to many titles
The 32-year-old has thrown his support behind the Barca coach, who he believes can lead the club to more titles, while giving his thoughts on Iker Casillas and Cesc Fabregas

201162_thumb.jpg

Casillas: Footballers have worries too
The Spain shot-stopper came to the defence of his fellow professionals after many observers dismissed the validity of their concerns due to their wealth and stature in society

173720_thumb.jpg

Sepp Blatter: The Ballon d'Or should go to a Spain international
The head of football's world governing body believes this year's Ballon d'Or should be given to a player from the 2012 European Championship winners

207649_thumb.jpg

Al-Thani committed to Malaga project, insists vice-president
The Liga outfit's Qatari owners seemed to withhold financial aid, but the club insists this is not the case, claiming they have always placed the side's interests at heart

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Viggo Mortensen labels Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho a 'coward'

The Lord of the Rings actor stated that the Blancos coach would not have picked on somebody like Diego Simeone, and also criticised his preferred style of football

Sep 5, 2012 9:40:00 PM

By John-Paul Tooth

14338hp2.jpg

Viggo Mortensen, the actor best known for playing Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, has criticised Jose Mourinho for the second time in two weeks.

The 53-year-old star, who lived in Argentina for several years during his childhood, recently revealed that he is a Madrid fan.

But his affection for the Spanish giants does not appear to extend to their Portuguese head coach.

"I like football to be played on the floor, colourfully, enthusiastically and artistically, and Mourinho does not seem to be a fan of that kind of game, so I have a different approach from him as a fan," the American actor told Sportyou.

Mortensen also criticised the former Inter coach's behaviour during last season's Supercopa match with Barcelona, when he famously poked Barcelona's Tito Vilanova in the eye during a touchline brawl.

"It is little comfort to me that Mourinho's behaviour goes against the tradition of Real Madrid," he added.

"I would like him to be educated, not going to the locker room while playing to spite others, and not sticking his finger in peoples' eyes.

"It is cowardly to make that offensive gesture towards Tito Vilanova, a polite guy, and not towards Simeone, who would have kicked his a**e."

Mortensen, however, did add that he hoped Mourinho would "win us the 10th [Champions League] this year."

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Messi is a magician while Cristiano Ronaldo is a general, says Blatter

The Swiss official has voiced his admiration for the Barcelona and Real Madrid attackers, while stating the presence of high-profile coaches benefits the game

Sep 7, 2012 7:45:00 AM

By Stefan Coerts

173720hp2.jpg

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has taken the time to praise La Liga stars Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, referring to the duo as living legends.

The 76-year-old feels the two are quite different on the pitch, but has nothing but positive words for both the Barcelona star and the Real Madrid attacker.

"Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo? Both! They are different but both fantastic for football," Blatter was quoted as saying by Marca.

"Cristiano wants to be the general on the pitch, lay down the law and scream here I stand. Messi, on the other hand, is like a conjurer, a magician. They are both living legends of football."

The Fifa boss then went on to stress that outspoken coaches like Jose Mourinho, Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and Pep Guardiola are good for the image of the game.

"Mourinho's one of the giants in football. It's good for the sport to have big names like Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger, Guardiola.

"Each one has his own style and charisma. They don't sit on the bench all sad and quiet."

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

207346_thumb.jpg

Khedira: Maybe Ronaldo just wanted the public to know
The Real Madrid midfielder is the latest to have his say on his team-mate's stunning declaration, offering his opinion on why the Portuguese forward spoke out

207219_thumb.jpg

'Lack of discipline harmed us last year' - Negredo speaks of drastic change at Sevilla
The Spain striker has lifted the lid on a disappointing last season in which the club finished ninth and promised things are very different this term

201186_thumb.jpg

Mascherano: Playing at centre-back for Barcelona is a risk
The 28-year-old midfielder has spoken about the difficulty of playing in central defence for his club side, while currently training with the Argentina national squad

200862_thumb.jpg

Adrian insists that he is happy at Atletico Madrid
The 24-year-old spoke positively about Los Rojiblancos' form, and reflected on their recent Super Cup win over Chelsea

148821_thumb.jpg

'The national team are like my family' - David Villa hails return to Spain squad
The Barcelona forward spoke of his delight at scoring for the world and European champions, and reserved special praise for his team-mates

179001_thumb.jpg

Giuseppe Rossi almost went to Roma, claims striker's agent
The former Manchester United front-man almost sealed an 11th-hour move to the Giallorossi, but is still five months away from returning to competitive action

193325_thumb.jpg

Juanfran: It is time to play in the Champions League
The 27-year-old Spanish international has underlined the ambition that surrounds Los Rojiblancos to make it into Europe's elite competition

207875_thumb.jpg

Benzema: I have not seen Cristiano Ronaldo unhappy at Real Madrid
The France international has expressed his bewilderment at the story surrounding his Portuguese team-mate, saying that he has not seen the attacker moping at Los Blancos

207329_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid fans will love Modric, says Croatia boss Stimac
The national team coach has expressed his belief that the playmaker will enchant los Blancos supporters following his big-money move to the Spanish capital

202328_thumb.jpg

Koeman: Vilanova and Guardiola are not so different
The Dutchman has admitted that he was surprised by the decision to appoint the 42-year-old, and believes the Blaugrana play a slightly different style to last season

208098_thumb.jpg

Falcao on par with Hugo Sanchez, says Simeone
The Argentine coach has showered praise on his team's superstar, considering him to be on the same footing as the legendary Real Madrid and Tricolor striker

208666_thumb.jpg

Pedro determined to continue impressing for Spain after win over Saudi Arabia
Fresh from an eye-catching display against the Green Falcons in Galicia, the Barcelona winger has declared his interest in only doing his talking on the pitch

208043_thumb.jpg

Falcao's father's comments are not important, insists Atletico president
The striker's parent had claimed that his son is eyeing a move to Real Madrid this summer, but his current employers have ridiculed the suggestions

208018_thumb.jpg

I am happy at Barcelona, insists Fabregas
The Spanish midfielder has insisted he is enjoying his time at Camp Nou, despite failing to secure a starting berth under Tito Vilanova

208697_thumb.jpg

Falcao would be perfect for Real Madrid, says Vitor Baia
The former Blaugrana shot-stopper believes the Colombia international would be a great fit for the Santiago Bernabeu side, but the Catalans would have to make changes for him

208703_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo is not sad, he is fine, says Portugal team-mate Nani
The Manchester United winger said there is nothing wrong with the reportedly unhappy Blancos star, who celebrated his goal during the 2-1 win over Luxembourg on Friday

201165_thumb.jpg

Barcelona's Abidal will play again, says doctor
The French international has been told he could play make a return to action after undergoing a liver transplant earlier this year

206125_thumb.jpg

Iniesta among the world’s best players, says Real Madrid's Sergio Ramos
The Spaniard has hailed his international colleague, while offering words of support for club team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pele was better than Messi & Cristiano Ronaldo, says Di Stefano

The former Madrid star has praised the Primera Division stars, but feels the Brazil legend was on an even higher level

Sep 10, 2012 10:10:00 AM

By Stefan Coerts

106901hp2.jpg

Real Madrid legend Alfredo Di Stefano feels that Pele was a better player than Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.

The Argentine had plenty of kind words for the Madrid star and the Barcelona attacker, but still feels that the former Brazil international was a class apart.

"The best player ever? Pele. Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are both great players with specific qualities, but Pele was better," Di Stefano was quoted as saying by El Colombiano.

"Messi is the more technical player of the two. He's better inside the area, the way he handles the ball and dribbles. You can see that he enjoys himself playing.

"Cristiano has a better body and is physically very strong. He has pace, speed and [is] a player with courage. Plus he can finish with both legs."

The 86-year-old Di Stefano made over 300 appearances for Madrid between 1953 and 1964, winning five European Cups in the process.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mascherano: Playing at centre-back for Barcelona is a risk

The 28-year-old midfielder has spoken about the difficulty of playing in central defence for his club side, while currently training with the Argentina national squad

Sep 9, 2012 5:45:00 PM

By Jake Johnson

201186hp2.jpg

Javier Mascherano has spoken of the risk involved in playing centre-back at Barcelona following some criticism after he made a mistake in the lead-up to one of Real Madrid's goals in the recent Spanish Supercopa.

Speaking in Argentina, where he is currently preparing with his national side for Tuesday's World Cup qualifier against Peru, the defensive midfielder explained how playing in defence means you might be responsible for more goals.

"I run a lot more risk playing centrally for Barca than [I would] in any other team due to how we play," Mascherano stated to Mundo Deportivo.

"We are constantly attacking and yes, we [might] have 70 per cent of possession, but three or four times [the opponent] will attack you.

"You find yourself [under pressure] with 50 or 60 meters behind you," he explained.

"Every mistake, like mine against Real Madrid [in the Spanish Supercopa], is a goal. Playing in the centre at Barcelona is a risk, but I also particularly like to run that risk."

More often deployed in a defensive-midfield role for his national side, Mascherano missed out on Argentina's 3-1 victory over Paraguay on Friday due to suspension. He is expected to start in Tuesday's fixture against Peru in Lima.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Roberto Carlos: Anzhi do not want to sign Cristiano Ronaldo

The Portugal international is unhappy at his current club, but the ambitious Russian side have no intention to make a move for the attacker just now

Sep 10, 2012 9:05:00 AM

By Stefan Coerts

208958hp2.jpg

Roberto Carlos has made it clear that Anzhi Makhachkala are not interested in signing Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid at this point.

The Portugal international recently revealed that he's unhappy at the Liga champions, and has since been linked with a move away from Madrid on more than one occasion.

Nevertheless, Roberto Carlos has stressed that the prolific attacker is not on Anzhi's wish-list for now.

"Lots of people have asked me whether Anzhiare after Cristiano Ronaldo. I haven't come here to sign Cristiano, though," the Anzhi director stated to Marca.

"Cristiano is happy here. If he doesn't want to celebrate his goals, then us, the people watching the games will celebrate them for him.

"He shouldn't worry, people like him a lot. Problems can be resolved."

The former Brazil international then went on to stress that Anzhi do intend to add to their ranks in the next transfer window.

"We are, however thinking about signing some quality players for next season."

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

206702_thumb.jpg

Injured Iniesta to miss three games
The Spanish winger will miss '10-15 days' after hurting his right leg, while Jordi Alba has tonsillitis and is a doubt for Barcelona's next match too

203100_thumb.jpg

Casillas targets eight more years at Madrid
On the 13th anniversary of his Los Blancos debut, the international goalkeeper has said he wants to finish his career at the Bernabeu, playing on until the age of 39

209660_thumb.jpg

Celtic’s Efe Ambrose: I'll stop Lionel Messi in the Champions League
The former Ashdod player is excited about the prospect of facing the Blaugrana superstar as he begins life with the Scottish champions

139566_thumb.jpg

Pastore: Kaka is my idol
The 23-year-old Argentina international has singled out the Real Madrid star as being his inspiration, explaining how he has modelled his game on the playmaker's

163554_thumb.jpg

Villa: I would be playing 90 minutes at any other club
Barcelona have been reticent to field the former Valencia striker since his return from a broken leg last month, but the 30-year-old is grateful to the club's medical staff

206512_thumb.jpg

I'm focused on winning with Real Madrid, insists Ronaldo
The Portuguese international has affirmed his commitment to the Spanish champions and claims that he is focused on achieving further success at the Santiago Bernabeu

207679_thumb.jpg

'If Riquelme retires, football loses one of the best' - Iniesta
The Spain international has revealed his continuing admiration for the 34-year-old, whom he played alongside during the early part of his career at Camp Nou

207400_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid would sell Ronaldo for €200 million
The Portuguese forward has a release clause of €1 billion but if Los Blancos can't resolve his unhappiness at the club, they may accept a bid of only a fifth of that price

201260_thumb.jpg

Juventus still looking at Llorente, reveals Marotta
The Old Lady's sporting director claims the Italian side are still working hard to identify potential targets ahead of the January transfer window

30241_thumb.jpg

Cerezo eyes long future at Atletico with Falcao
The club's president says he wants to stay at the Vicente Calderon for another 25 years with the Colombian striker leading the line throughout

201310_thumb.jpg

Aguero insists Manchester City can compete with Europe's finest ahead of Real Madrid clash
The forward, who used to play for Los Blancos' closest rivals, believes the Premier League champions have the quality to challenge Europe's elite for the biggest trophy of all

176636_thumb.jpg

Galliani: Barcelona & Real Madrid from another planet
The flamboyant director is adamant that the San Siro side can beat any Italian rival, but added that the Spanish giants are on another level

208691_thumb.jpg

Messi 100 times better than Cristiano Ronaldo, says Amato
The Argentine trainer feels his compatriot is without a doubt the best player around, even though he also respects the Portuguese forward and Neymar

186403_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo is under a lot of pressure, says Laporta
The former Barca supremo believes that things are not easy for the Portugal international, and doubts he will have realised what the consequence of his comments would be

207657_thumb.jpg

Arbeloa: Nobody doubts Cristiano Ronaldo's commitment to Real Madrid
The Spain international is adamant everybody at the club will remain supportive of the attacker, while also taking the time to praise Jose Mourinho

207424_thumb.jpg

Messi: I would rather win titles than score goals
Barcelona star has claimed that he would sacrifice personal success, if he was to see his club collect more silverware in the coming campaign

185003_thumb.jpg

Atletico Madrid and Malaga release Financial Fair Play statements
The Liga pair have given their thoughts on having prize money withheld by Uefa, following investigations into their finances

186403_thumb.jpg

I would return to Barcelona, says former president Joan Laporta
The 50-year-old has insisted he would go back to the club, but only once they become part of a separate Catalonia

208181_thumb.jpg

Hoeness: Bayern don't owe Osasuna any money over Javi Martinez
The German powerhouse feel they have no obligation to pay the Liga outfit anything as they believe Athletic should pay the compensation fee

20938_thumb.jpg

Song is a great signing for Barcelona, says Victor Munoz
The Cameroon international joined the Blaugrana from Arsenal this summer and the former Spain star has little doubt he will succeed

175535_thumb.jpg

Fabregas will have a spectacular season for Barcelona, says Pique
The towering defender has little doubt that the former Arsenal man will soon return to his usual best again and has called for patience from critics around him

98542_thumb.jpg

Diarra: I joined Anzhi because of Eto'o, not the money
The former Real Madrid midfielder made a deadline-day switch to the cash-rich Russian club, but insists his switch was not financially motivated

208820_thumb.jpg

Messi greeted with chants of 'Ronaldo, Ronaldo' in Peru
The Barcelona forward arrived with the national team to playful taunts from the Peruvian crowd

207384_thumb.jpg

Barcelona to wear colours of Catalan flag next season
The Blaugrana are looking to strengthen the club's historic link with the region of Catalunya by having a Senyera style shirt next year - the first time in over a century

175530_thumb.jpg

Markel Susaeta commits future to Athletic Bilbao
The Basques' winger has signed a new deal which will keep him at the club until the summer of 2017 while also having a buyout clause of €35 million in his new contract

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona to wear colours of Catalan flag next season

The Blaugrana are looking to strengthen the club's historic link with the region of Catalunya by having a Senyera style shirt next year - the first time in over a century

Sep 10, 2012 2:15:00 PM

By Michael Cerna

207384hp2.jpg

Barcelona's away kit for the 2013-2014 season will feature the red and gold colours of the Catalan flag, according to regional newspaper Sport.

Fans have waited 113 years to see the Bars of Aragon on the region's most successful club and will finally get their wish next year.

The jersey will feature the famous red and gold stripes in an attempt by the club's directors to promote the team's connection to the autonomous region and its people.

According to Sport, Barca are "reinforcing the sporting and sentimental ties that the majority of the population of the region share."

The current home and away jerseys already have had the colours of the Catalan flag on the back of the shirt since Joan Laporta's regime took charge in 2003, but this move goes a step further.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

176165_thumb.jpg

Manchester City plan raid for Barcelona youngsters
The Premier League champions' new CEO is looking to pick the best young talent from his former side as the Citizens look to the future

209568_thumb.jpg

Messi & Higuain behaved like little girls, says Zambrano
The 23-year-old was not impressed with the highly rated attacker's performances, and feels they looked frustrated as they were unable to leave their mark on the game

203660_thumb.jpg

There is no problem with Cristiano Ronaldo at Real Madrid, insists Casillas
The Spain captain has dismissed the speculation that there is something wrong with the Portuguese superstar while suggesting that a Los Blancos player should win the Ballon d'Or

209808_thumb.jpg

Barcelona will remain in La Liga even if Catalunya becomes independent, says Rosell
The president of the Catalan giants insists his club will continue to play in the top tier of Spanish football even in the event of the region becoming a fully autonomous state

206702_thumb.jpg

Alexis Sanchez unavailable for Barcelona's trip to Getafe
The Catalans No.9 joins Iniesta and Jordi Alba on the sidelines with the Spanish midfield maestro expected to miss '10-15 days' after hurting his right leg. Alba has tonsillitis

168662_thumb.jpg

Athletic will not take legal action over Martinez, says Rummenigge
The Basque club's president had threatened to take the Bavarians to court after the Spaniard travelled to Germany for a medical, but are now expected to drop the case

205108_thumb.jpg

Barcelona - Real Madrid Clasico clash confirmed for October 7
The Spanish giants have already faced one another twice this season in the Supercopa, but their first Liga clash will take play in just over three weeks' time

207657_thumb.jpg

'Cristiano has the same smile as always' - Arbeloa
The Portuguese superstar claimed that he was unhappy at the Bernabeu, but his team-mate has insisted there has been no change to the ex-Manchester United forward's usual demeanour

181232_thumb.jpg

Capello: Only Falcao has impressed me as much as Messi
The experienced trainer has voiced his admiration for the prolific hitman, likening him to the much acclaimed Barcelona star

179498_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid fans will forgive Cristiano Ronaldo, says Buyo
The former goalkeeper has likened the forward's situation with that of Hugo Sanchez and has little doubt that supporters will continue to support the attacker

209404_thumb.jpg

Fabregas: I knew what to expect at Barcelona, I'm not stupid
The former Arsenal star has stressed that he knew competition for places would be fierce at Barca and is determined to prove his worth at the club

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Madrid first club to surpass €500m income barrier

The Primera Division side have announced a record income over last term, as their net debt has fallen to €124.7 million

Sep 14, 2012 9:15:00 AM

By Stefan Coerts

210017hp2.jpg

Real Madrid have closed the 2011-12 fiscal year with income totalling €514 million, a seven per cent growth compared to the previous period.

This is the highest figure earned by an international sports institution, and los Blancos have become the first club to surpass the €500 million barrier in the sports industry.

Members’ contributions, from both annual membership and tickets, account for 9.5% of the total income.

<tbody>
</tbody>
Madrid's net earnings are €24.2m, which is 23.3% less than in the previous period.

This decrease is put down to increased costs arising on the security front, changes in tax regulations, hedging of contingencies and risks derived from the evolution of the economic context, as well as increased amortisation expenses from investments made.

However, the club's net debt has still dropped by 26.5%, to €124.7m.

Estimated income for the 2012-13 campaign is €516.6m, with net earnings of about €24.4m.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga preview: Real Madrid hope 'sad' Cristiano Ronaldo inspires champions against Sevilla

14 September 2012

289567header.jpg

Barcelona travel to Getafe as they look to preserve their 100 percent record in La Liga in their bid to regain the title they lost last season.

The 21-time La Liga champions seem to have made a smooth transition from iconic manager Pep Guardiola to former assistant Tito Vilanova.

Under Vilanova, Barcelona have won their opening three matches against Real Sociedad, Osasuna and Valencia, with Lionel Messi leading the way yet again with four goals.

But Saturday's game at the Coliseum Alfonso Perez will prove a big challenge after Luis Garcia Plaza's men upstaged Barcelona on their last trip to Getafe in November last year.

Getafe's recent form is also a cause for concern for Barcelona, with the club having claimed the scalp of reigning champions Real Madrid on August 28.

Real's surprise loss spurred the club into action and they head to Sevilla with a league victory and the Spanish Super Cup under their belt.

Following their 2-1 loss at Getafe, Jose Mourinho's troops bounced back with a win against Barcelona and a league victory at home to Granada.

Their opponents, Sevilla, are unbeaten this season but Real approach the game full of confidence having scored 15 goals in three previous encounters against the dual-Europa League winners.

La Liga's surprise packets Rayo Vallecano take on an Atletico Madrid side in red-hot form and boasting arguably the world's best striker in Radamel Falcao.

The Colombian striker has eight goals in all competitions, including a hat-trick in Atletico's 4-1 demolition of Chelsea in the UEFA Super Cup.

Vallecano's unbeaten start to the campaign is even more remarkable given last year's top-goalscorer Michu (15) departed for English Premier League club Swansea during the transfer window.

In other La Liga fixtures, Champions League participants Malaga will look to make it three wins from four at home to Levante, cellar-dwellers Osasuna play host to second-placed Mallorca, while struggling Granada welcome undefeated Deportivo La Coruna to the Estadio Nuevo Los Carmenes.

Top-three hopefuls Valencia, who are still searching for their first win of the season, do battle with Celta de Vigo, winless Espanyol face Europa League finalists Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad tackle Real Zaragoza on Sunday.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga wrap: Sevilla add to Madrid woes, Messi lifts Barcelona

16 September 2012

289789header.jpg

Sevilla heaped more misery on Real Madrid with a 1-0 win, while rivals Barcelona continued their perfect start to the La Liga season.

Defending champions Real were already five points adrift of league leaders Barcelona heading into Saturday's match after drawing and losing two of their opening three matches.

And that gap extended to eight points following Piotr Trochowski's goal in just the second minute of play.

The match started at a frenetic pace with the hosts taking the game up to Jose Mourinho's men.

A shot from the edge of the box inside the first minute was spilled back into the danger area by Iker Casillas but he recovered to stop Alvaro Negredo from tapping in the rebound.

Former Schalke midfielder Ivan Rakitic took the resultant corner where it was met by Trochowski, who had escaped the loose marking of Angel Di Maria and volleyed into the roof of the net.

In search of an equaliser, Real hit the post twice but could not prevent Sevilla from claiming their first win against the Spanish champions since October 2009.

Barcelona maintained their 100 percent start to the season with a 4-1 triumph against Getafe at the Coliseum Alfonso Perez.

Tito Vilanova's side laboured during the early stages of the match but took a single-goal lead into the break through Adriano.

Second-half substitute and two-time Ballon d'Or winner Lionel Messi then netted twice before a Javier Mascherano own goal robbed the visitors of a clean sheet, but David Villa rounded off the win in the closing moments.

Though the result may have been somewhat flattering, Barcelona moved back to the summit with a two-point advantage over their nearest rivals Malaga, who maintained their unbeaten start to the season at home to Levante.

Malaga, the surprise packets of this season's competition, ran out 3-1 winners thanks to goals from Javier Saviola, Joaquin and Francisco Portillo.

Meanwhile, Valencia ended their winless start to the 2012/13 campaign with a 2-1 victory over Celta de Vigo at the Estadio de Mestalla.

Valencia broke the deadlock through Sofiane Feghouli in the fourth minute before Michael Krohn-Dehli restored parity on 16 minutes.

However, the hosts restored their one-goal advantage five minutes into the second half after Aly Cissokho's headed home Tino Costa's cross.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

204663_thumb.jpg

Vilanova thrilled with Barcelona victory over Getafe
The Barca coach pointed out that his side have already won in the two fixtures which derailed their title hopes last year, whilst also giving his response to Carles Puyol's injury

201597_thumb.jpg

We have to fight until the end, says Real Madrid defender Pepe
The 29-year-old expressed his disappointment at falling further behind Barcelona, but insisted that he and his team-mates will do their best to claw back the gap at the top

207442_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Manchester City cannot buy Real Madrid's trophies and history
The Portuguese coach launches a broadside at the Eastlands outfit before their Champions League tie, insisting that Roberto Mancini's side cannot compete with his club's past

210652_thumb.jpg

Alberto Botia: Sevilla gave everything we had against Real Madrid
The defender was delighted with his side's narrow victory over the reigning Liga champions and praised his team-mates' collective effort after the game

210665_thumb.jpg

Sergio Ramos concedes Real Madrid can play much better
The 26-year-old Spanish international has expressed disappointment at Los Blancos’ slow start to the season, but has rebuffed any negativity surrounding the club’s outlook

208041_thumb.jpg

Vilanova hails Fabregas' influence on Barcelona victory
The Blaugrana coach and fellow team-mates were on hand to laud the midfielder's efforts, in a match that ended in a one-sided affair for the Catalan outfit

204185_thumb.jpg

Puyol expected to miss four to six weeks following strained knee ligaments
The Catalan veteran appeared to have shrugged off his injury shackles, but pulled up after twisting his knee in just over 50 minutes of action against Getafe

206183_thumb.jpg

Pellegrini encouraged by Malaga's 'ability to score three goals'
The Chilean sees enthusiasm peak at La Rosaleda, on the eve of the team's Champions League opener against Zenit St. Petersburg

204286_thumb.jpg

Pellegrino: Celta bothered us in the first half
The Argentine accepts the victory over the minnows, although he admits his team barely emerged on top during the match

113408_thumb.jpg

Pernia: Iniesta deserved to win Fifa Ballon d'Or
The former Spain left-back played with the Barcelona man at the 2006 World Cup, and he believes the gifted midfielder should have been nominated for the accolade

210319_thumb.jpg

'I always wanted to come here' - Martins delighted to join Levante
The former Newcastle and Inter striker recently completed a move to the Valencia-based side, and has talked of his desire to repay the faith shown in him by his new employers

172829_thumb.jpg

Modric thinks before the rest, says Croatia team-mate Rakitic
The Sevilla midfielder believes his compatriot will prove to be a "great" capture for Los Blancos, as he looks ahead to the weekend's Liga clash between the two outfits

210281_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo: Messi fascinates me more than Cristiano Ronaldo
The former striker prefers the Argentine over the Portugal forward and believes Brazil will come good in time for the World Cup

206125_thumb.jpg

Sergio Ramos: Real Madrid have to keep improving in order to win titles
The Spain international has stressed that the Primera Division giants will have to work hard in order to replicate their league success from 2011-12

207679_thumb.jpg

'I'm not interested in what Maradona says' - Riquelme calls time on his Boca Juniors career
The Argentine international is happy to have had his contract suspended and says he is uninterested in the 51-year-old's comments about his perceived lack of motivation

170404_thumb.jpg

Vilanova: I am to blame if Fabregas is not at his best
The Barcelona trainer has played down suggestions that the 25-year-old has been playing badly and says he will take responsibility if he cannot get help his charge improve

207441_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: If Ronaldo is sad but plays like he does, that's perfect for me
The Santiago Bernabeu boss insists he has nothing to worry about regarding the Portuguese forward, despite speculation mounting over whether he might leave La Liga over his sadness

210085_thumb.jpg

Calderon: If Ronaldo is not happy at Real Madrid, he has to leave
The former Blancos president says the club should not be afraid to offload the Portuguese star if the player is unhappy in the Spanish capital

134237_thumb.jpg

Monreal: I am focused on Malaga
The defender is not thinking about a late transfer away from his current club as he has set his sights on playing Champions League football

203067_thumb.jpg

Kluivert: Coaching Barcelona a dream but I would not turn down Madrid
The all-time Oranje topscorer hopes to take charge of one of the Liga giants at some point in his career, while also praising Andres Iniesta and Xavi

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gone in 68 seconds: Real Madrid's Liga hopes hit by early blow in Seville as Barcelona go eight clear

Jose Mourinho's men failed to recover after falling behind early on at Sevilla and are already adrift in the battle for the Primera Division, following Barca's 4-1 win in Getafe

Sep 16, 2012 8:40:00 AM

210683hp2.jpg

ANALYSIS
By Ben Hayward | Spanish Football Writer

Iker Casillas apologised to his defenders. The Real Madrid goalkeeper had made a mess of what should have been a routine save from Jesus Navas' 20-yard drive. But less than 30 seconds later, he was picking the ball out of the back of his net.

From the resulting corner, Angel Di Maria failed to track Piotr Trochowski and the German struck an unstoppable half-volley into the top-right hand corner. There were just 68 seconds on the clock. It was an early blow for Jose Mourinho's men but they seemingly had plenty of time to recover. They never did.

The Portuguese recently revealed his squad had spent hours and hours working on set pieces, but that was the third goal they had conceded from such sitautions in just four fixtures in La Liga so far. It is the worst record of any side in the competition this term and remains a huge concern for Madrid.

But it is not the only one. Before the game, Mourinho had claimed he was more worried by his side's faltering form than by Cristiano Ronaldo's well-documented sadness. And on this evidence, he had every reason to be. One win, one draw and two losses in La Liga so far represents his worst-ever start to a season as a coach and, to make matters worse, Madrid are already eight points behind Barcelona.

BARCA CONTINUE PERFECT START
210661_hp.jpg

While Madrid looked off-colour in their new green kit, Barca shone in orange and yellow, extending their flawless start to La Liga to a fourth straight success by beating Getafe 4-1 in the capital.

The excellent Cesc Fabregas created the first for Adriano as he put his recent poor form behind him, before Lionel Messi stepped off the bench to add two more, including one from the penalty spot.

David Villa added a classy fourth after coming on too, as the Catalans replicated their start to the 2009-10 season, when they also won their first four.

The only sour note was a knee injury to captain Carles Puyol, who is sidelined for up to six weeks and will miss the Clasico.

<tbody>
</tbody>
In claiming La Liga last season, Madrid lost just two games in the whole campaign, but Mourinho's men have already been defeated twice this term in the championship and the club has never clawed back an eight-point lead on their fiercest rivals, who thrashed Getafe 4-1 earlier on Saturday.

Mourinho had seen his side come off second best in a physical battle at the Sanchez Pizjuan as Sevilla played with impressive intensity, cut the supply line from Xabi Alonso and restricted their visitors to only a handful of opportunities.

Gonzalo Higuain should have made at least one of them count, blasting over the bar after 21 minutes and hitting another effort straight at Andres Palop shortly after half-time. In truth, however, he was lucky to even be on the pitch at all after kicking out at Fernando Navarro early in the game.

All eyes were on Ronaldo, though. The Portuguese saw a free-kick in the first-half saved and came close with another long-range effort, but was unable to find the space to exploit a side he had picked apart so seamlessly with four goals in 2010-11, and three more last term in back-to-back 6-2 wins.

Cristiano also saw two penalty appeals knocked back and seemed to spend more time on the turf than stretching Sevilla. The sad face was back.

In fairness, however, the Portuguese had scarce support. Di Maria was dreadful before departing at the interval, while Mesut Ozil proved peripheral, save a couple of decent passes and late second-half substitute Jose Callejon was frustrating at best.

The man who almost changed the game in Madrid's favour was Luka Modric. The summer signing came off the bench at half-time and for 10 to 15 minutes at the beginning of the second period gave Madrid the creative impetus they had been lacking in the middle.

Modric came closest of all as he saw his long-range drive pushed onto the post by Palop after 52 minutes. But the Croat saw his influence wane, and as Trochowski dropped deeper late on, Sevilla maintained their incredible intensity and defended in numbers to keep Madrid at bay.

Mourinho must have wished he had started Modric, but with the material at his disposal, Madrid should still have had enough to win this game. Tactically, there appeared to be no clear objective and four games into the new season that must surely be the greatest concern of all.

"I don't have a team at the moment," Mourinho told reporters in a quick-fire press conference after the game. But the buck stops with the coach and it seems strange a side that brilliantly beat Barca to win the Spanish Supercopa can produce such disjointed displays in La Liga.

With Pep Guardiola gone, perhaps the Portuguese lacks the motivation necessary to get the very best out of his toiling team. Already eight points behind Vilanova's Barcelona, the road back looks long now. With 34 games still to play, it is too early to write them off just yet, but the title is already Barca's to lose and with a Clasico to come at Camp Nou on October 7, the Catalans can conceivably extend their advantage at the top.

That is a game Madrid simply cannot afford to lose, but at the moment it is difficult to imagine any other result. "I'm worried about my team," Mourinho added.

So he should be.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Madrid have an attitude problem, says Emilio Butragueno

The Spain legend has expressed his disappointment with his former side's present plight, claiming attitude and "a lack of luck" are the main reasons behind their poor form

Sep 16, 2012 7:10:00 AM

By Renger Dotinga

51045hp2.jpg

Emilio Butragueno has expressed his dismay at Real Madrid's current run of form, after watching his former club succumb to their second defeat of the season against Sevilla on Sunday.

The reigning Liga champions were undone by Piotr Trochowski's second-minute strike, aresult which leaves Los Blancos eight points behind arch-rivals Barcelona.

"There is a big deficit with Barcelona, but we must continue. On Tuesday we have an important match," the 49-year old told Canal+.

"We lacked the luck to get back into the game, and there was an attitude problem. We must be united, whether we are winning or losing."

The Spaniard went on to comment on Cristiano Ronaldo's much-publicised unhappiness at the club, but refused to be drawn into a discussion on whether financial motives are behind his apparent discomfort.

"He is a key player, hopefully he'll continue for many more years here," Butragueno added.

"[We already spoke about money], we need to return to normal."

Madrid begin their Champions League campaign on Tuesday, when they welcome Premier League champions Manchester City to the Santiago Bernabeu.