• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║ Bundesliga Season 2012-13 ║║

Kiessling

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'I'd have to be brainwashed to join Dortmund' - Draxler

By Chris Kvesa
Apr 29, 2013 2:41:00 PM

266562hp2.jpg

The talented playmaker has remarked that he would not consider a move to his side's fiercest rivals

Schalke midfielder Julian Draxler has stressed that he will not sign with Borussia Dortmund, as he "can't imagine wearing the black-and-yellow jersey" in the coming years.

BVB's brightest talent, Mario Gotze, will make the switch to Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich in a €37million deal this summer, and Draxler has since been rumoured to be a possible replacement for Gotze.

But the talented playmaker has no intention of joining his side's fiercest rivals anytime soon.

"Under no circumstances I will play for Borussia Dortmund in the coming season," the 19-year-old wrote on his Facebook page.

"I can't imagine Borussia Dortmund wanting to sign me and I absolutely can't imagine wearing the black-and-yellow jersey.

"There's been a lot of speculation this week. I didn't comment on it because I wanted to focus on the match [against Hamburg, which Schalke won 4-1].

"But I can assure you, with all respect, that, if I won't be brainwashed, I won't be playing for BVB in the next years."

Schalke currently sit fourth in Bundesliga as they bid to secure Champions League action next term.

Heynckes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Untouchable Bayern two games away from the most emphatic treble-winning season
The Bavarians have looked invulnerable on all three fronts in 2012-13 and are just two games away from the perfect season

Mirage

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Bayern toughest test I've faced' - Adriano
The full-back has praised his side's Champions League conquerors while urging his team-mates to focus on wrapping up the Liga title

eErotica69DogDorkVader

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gotze will have no buy-out clause at Bayern, says Rummenigge
The German legend wants to make sure that the Bavarians do not make the same mistake as rivals Borussia Dortmund have with the 20-year-old

eErotica69DogDorkVader

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kiessling denies Dortmund contact
The 29-year-old German striker insists he has made no contact with the Champions League finalists amid rumours surrounding his future at the end of the season

eErotica69DogDorkVader

Alfrescian
Loyal

Piszczek delays surgery until after Champions League final
The full-back admits he may need an operation on his hip but will put it off until after the May 25 European showpiece at Wembley which BVB qualified for on Tuesday

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Preview: Leverkusen and Schalke hit the road

2 May 2013

319074header.jpg

Bayern Munich face Borussia Dortmund on Saturday while Bayer Leverkusen and Schalke are on the road in this weekend's Bundesliga action.

The highlight of the 32nd round of competition sees Dortmund host Bayern in a preview of the UEFA Champions League final.

Bayern, who have already been crowned champions, sit 20 points clear of second-placed Dortmund, and will be full of confidence after completing a 7-0 aggregate win over Barcelona in the semi-final of the Champions League on Wednesday.

With the top three teams in the table automatically qualifying for the Champions League group stages, Leverkusen sit behind Bayern and Dortmund, seven points clear of the fourth-placed Schalke with just three matches to play.

A five-match unbeaten run has seen them build that gap and they will fancy their chances on Saturday against Nurenberg, who have lost their last three matches.

Key to Leverkusen's good run has been the form of striker Stefan Kiessling, who has bagged six goals in his last five Bundesliga matches.

The German is now the second top-scorer in the league with 22 strikes this season, leaving him just one behind Dortmund's in-demand forward Robert Lewandowski.

Chelsea transfer target Andre Schurrle has also been in good form recently for the BayArena outfit.

The fourth-placed side in Germany wins a place in the Champions League qualifying stages and Schalke are holding off a flurry of sides in a bid to finish in that position.

They are three points clear of the fifth-placed Eintracht Frankfurt, and go to Borussia Moenchengladbach on Friday.

Eintracht are at home to Fortuna Dusseldorf on Saturday, while other games on that day see Werder Bremen host the struggling Hoffenheim, Hannover face Mainz and Stuttgart play bottom-placed Greuther Furth.

And on Sunday, Augsburg's bid to stay in the division faces a tricky hurdle at Freiburg while Hamburg face Wolfsburg.

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Preview: Borussia Dortmund v Bayern Munich

3 May 2013

319091header.jpg

Saturday sees a dress rehearsal for the upcoming UEFA Champions League final as Borussia Dortmund host Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga.

The fixture is already the marquee clash of German football, but with this season's title already sealed – Bayern lead the second-placed Dortmund by 20 points – its significance appeared to dwindle in recent weeks.

However, stunning performances from both sides in their UEFA Champions League semi-finals have assured that the eyes of the world will be focused on this fixture, which serves as a preview to the decider of European football's premier club competition, to be staged at Wembley on May 25.

Whether both sides will be selecting first-choice teams is unclear, with Dortmund manager Juergen Klopp and Bayern counterpart Jupp Heynckes sure to keep their cards close to their chest.

A big crowd is a guarantee at the Westfalenstadion though, and goals are likely, with the two sides having played just one goalless draw since 1998.

Bayern's form this season has been nothing short of exceptional, with the Bavarian side having lost just one of their last 40 matches in all competitions.

Included in that run are 4-0 and 3-0 wins over Barcelona in their two-legged Champions League semi-final and triumphs over Dortmund, Juventus, Arsenal and Lille.

While they have been prolific going forward – Bayern have scored 90 goals in 31 matches, including 21 in their last five – the club's defence has also been superb.

Bayern have conceded just 14 league goals this term, giving them the best defence by a huge margin.

Dortmund have also been in excellent form, although comparatively to Bayern, they have dropped off the pace this season, failing in their bid to win a hat-trick of league titles.

They saw a nine-match unbeaten run in all competitions come to a halt on Tuesday, but despite losing 2-0 at Real Madrid, they progressed from their Champions League semi-final 4-3 on aggregate.

They have the league's top-scorer – Polish forward Robert Lewandowski with 23 – and will be missing only Mario Goetze (hamstring) from their first-choice side.

Goetze, who will join Bayern in the summer, is also in doubt for the Champions League final.

Bayern will be without midfielder Toni Kroos (groin) and defender Holger Badstuber (knee) while defender Dante, who missed Wednesday's clash with Barcelona due to being unwell, should come back into contention.

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

276629_thumb.jpg

Robben rules out Galatasaray transfer
The winger has rubbished speculation linking him with a move to Turkey and says his side have unfinished business with the Champions League

216907_thumb.jpg

Hummels opens door to Dortmund exit
The defender is refusing to commit his future to the club, but hopes Robert Lewandowski will remain at Signal Iduna Park

275028_thumb.jpg

Subotic: Lewandowski should stay at Dortmund
The Serbianl hopes the prolific attacker will not leave BVB this summer and says his side do not feel any pressure ahead of the Champions League final

231833_thumb.jpg

Ter Stegen not ready for Barcelona yet, says Illgner
The 46-year-old has voiced his opinion that a move to Spain could hurt his compatriot's career at this stage and has advised them to pursue Thibaut Courtois instead

275218_thumb.jpg

Robben: The pressure is on Dortmund
The Dutchman does not believe Bayern will be affected by expectation when they take on BVB in the Champions League final this month

249714_thumb.jpg

Dortmund prepare for Lewandowski exit with Son move
The German giants are on the verge of completing an €11.8m deal to sign the Hamburg star ahead as replacement for the Pole

264134_thumb.jpg

Bayern Munich make enquiry for Arsenal defender Koscielny
Incoming coach Pep Guardiola has sanctioned a €23.7 million summer swoop for the defender but the Gunners are confident of fending off the German giants' interest

170828_thumb.jpg

'No lunch with Bayern, only a handshake,' says Watzke
Following the revelation Mario Gotze is destined to join die Roten, Dortmund's general manager says relations between the clubs have soured because of a "couple of irritations"

268411_thumb.jpg

Heynckes targets historic treble
The 67-year-old is fully confident in Bayern Munich's chances of pulling off an unprecedented coup having already secured the league title and two finals ahead

240750_thumb.jpg

Beckenbauer: Heynckes should retire
The Germany icon feels the current Bayern Munich boss deserves a break from the "dirty business" of football once he leaves the club in the summer

276389_thumb.jpg

Dortmund hopeful Gotze will be fit for Champions League final
The attacking midfielder has torn a thigh muscle, but his club are optimistic about his chances of recovering in time for the final at Wembley

268382_thumb.jpg

Rummenigge: Bayern will not turn arrogant
The FCB supremo was delighted with the win over the Primera Division leaders but has urged his team to remain humble

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Beckenbauer: Heynckes should retire

By Joe Wright
May 2, 2013 3:58:00 PM

240750hp2.jpg

The Germany icon feels the current Bayern Munich boss deserves a break from the "dirty business" of football once he leaves the club in the summer

Franz Beckenbauer believes Jupp Heyckes should retire from coaching when he leaves Bayern Munich at the end of the season.

The 67-year-old has been linked with moves to the likes of Real Madrid and Athletic Bilbao when he makes way for Pep Guardiola in the summer but the German icon feels his old international team-mate has earned a break.

"He should take it slower and doesn't need the daily dirty business. I can't advise him to stay in coaching," he told Sky.

"There can't be an increase [in success if he leaves], and besides, he's quickly approaching 70."

Heynckes himself dismissed reports after the match that Real Madrid have been in contact with him, hinting that he may consider taking a hiatus from the game.

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Guardiola: My time at Barcelona is over

By Joe Wright
May 2, 2013 7:02:00 PM

247007hp2.jpg

The 42-year-old says he is proud to have worked at Camp Nou as both player and coach but insists that chapter of his life has ended

Pep Guardiola has paid tribute to the players he worked with during his time with Barcelona, but has stressed that now is the time to look to the future.

The 42-year-old left the Camp Nou hotseat at the end of last season and has spent the current campaign on sabbatical leave as he prepares to take over at Bayern Munich this summer.

Guardiola has expressed his pride in the working relationship he enjoyed with the Blaugrana as both player and coach, but insists the chapter of his life at the club must be considered closed.

Speaking on an official visit to Buenos Aires, he said: "My time at Barcelona is over. One is born, grows, and becomes older.

"When you make the decision to leave a club, it's better than when it's taken for you. I was happy at Barcelona.

"I had a wonderful relationship with those with whom I worked. The players I had love what they do. They never lost the passion they had when they were children.

"At Barca, things went well because the amateurs I knew became professionals. You are where you are because you win in big teams. Otherwise, you get a kick."

Guardiola refused to be drawn on commenting on his new side, however, simply stating: "It would be wrong to talk of Bayern. When I am there, I will start to talk about them."

Finally, the former Spain international tipped la Roja as favourites to lift the World Cup in 2014, but warned of three sides who could make the defence of their crown difficult.

"Spain is the favourite to win the World Cup. Germany, Brazil and Argentina are also candidates," he added.

Kiessling

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bayern didn't bail Dortmund out, says Watzke

By Will Jones
May 3, 2013 4:59:00 PM

154841hp2.jpg

The BVB general manager is losing patience with his side's arch-rivals after having to deny more claims over their previously perilous financial state

Hans-Joachim Watzke has strongly denied suggestions that Bayern Munich rescued Borussia Dortmund from going bust back in 2004.

BVB's general manager admitted that they did receive money from the Bavarian club but says it made little difference to their financial stability and insists it would not have happened had he been in charge.

"There has been a €2 million credit from FC Bayern, but not for me," according to ESPN.

"In 2004 Bayern paid that money to my predecessors. And, regardless of that €2 million, BVB was nearly bust in 2005. I would have rather gone begging than to borrow money from Bayern.

"One of my first official acts was to ask the creditors for permission to fully pay back the money, something other creditors only could have wished for.

"Bayern Munich has not played any role in helping Borussia Dortmund avoid administration; they got a high rate of interest and all of their money back. If anyone maintains the standpoint that Bayern Munich helped the economical 2.0 version of Borussia Dortmund in any way, they are knowingly telling a falsehood."

Bayern have already dethroned Dortmund as Bundesliga champions this season and the two teams go head to head in the league this weekend before their Champions League final clash at Wembley.

And after FCB announced that BVB star Mario Gotze would be joining the club in the summer - on the eve of the first-leg of their semi-final tie with Real Madrid - Watzke admitted that there is tension between the sides.

"I have always spoken about Bayern with a lot of respect and admiration. That has cooled down a bit. It is not the case that we are enemies. The relationship is absolutely fit for work. But why should we call it love, peace and harmony if it isn't so."

Bayern take on Dortmund on Saturday in the Bundesliga.

Manuel Neuer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga: Borussia Dortmund 1 Bayern Munich 1

5 May 2013

130502130513-franck-ribery-single-image-cut.jpg

Borussia Dortmund and 10-man Bayern Munich drew 1-1 in an ill-tempered match at Signal Iduna Park on Saturday.

First-half goals from Kevin Grosskreutz and Mario Gomez ensured the sides earned a point apiece. The hosts, though, could have secured a victory from the penalty spot in a second-half marred by Rafinha's sending off, but Robert Lewandowski’s effort was saved.

Jurgen Klopp made five changes from the side that lost to Real Madrid in midweek, with Marco Reus and Mats Hummels being the most notable absentees, while seven of the Bayern Munich players who beat Barcelona 3-0 were rested.

Bayern enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges, but it was Dortmund who took the lead after 11 minutes as Jakub Blaszczykowski crossed from the left and Grosskreutz arrived at the far post to volley past Manuel Neuer.

Three minutes later, Dortmund felt they should have been awarded a penalty as Ilkay Gundogan went down under pressure from Jerome Boateng, but the referee gave nothing before the German midfielder was replaced by Moritz Leitner due to an injury.

The visitors appeared to lack urgency in the final third, but it did not take long for them to draw level as Gomez headed Rafinha’s cross into the far side of the goal after pulling away from Neven Subotic 23 minutes in.

Robert Lewandowski had a quiet first half-hour, but soon after he sparked into life as he surged down the left, holding off Rafinha as he ran before beating Boateng and shooting for goal, but Neuer rushed out and deflected the Pole’s shot behind for a corner.

Bayern should have added a second in the closing stages of the first-half as David Alaba beat two players in the centre and slipped the ball through to Gomez, but his shot squirmed under Roman Weidenfeller and bounced over the bar.

The second-half began at fierce pace as Blaszczykowski sliced a left-footed shot wide from inside the Bayern area, while, at the other end, Claudio Pizarro had a penalty shout turned down after being brought down by Subotic.

Just before the hour mark the hosts were given the chance to retake the lead from the penalty spot as Nuri Sahin’s shot struck the hand of Boateng, but Neuer got down to his left and denied Lewandowski from 12 yards.

Bayern were the recipients of more bad news four minutes later as Rafinha received a red card for elbowing Blaszczykowski in the face. To make matters worse, the Brazilian did not leave the pitch quietly as a brawl ensued before Klopp exchanged words with both the right-back and a member of Bayern’s coaching staff.

Further petulance followed as Lewandowski and Boateng went head-to-head just outside the penalty area, but on this occasion the referee decided against issuing any cards.

Julian Schieber had a great chance to grab a winner late on as he got on the end of Marco Reus’ pass, but his first touch was poor, giving Neuer the chance to collect, while Sahin headed wide in stoppage time as the Champions League final rehearsal ended level.

Manuel Neuer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Wrap: Freiburg consolidate European place

6 May 2013

319437header.jpg

Freiburg’s quest for a Europa League place stayed on track as they strolled to a 2-0 win at home to Augsburg on Sunday.

Cedric Makiadi scored the opener for the hosts as he knocked the ball into the goal after a melee in the penalty area and the box-to-box midfielder almost got a second later on.

Jonathan Schmid had a good chance to double Freiburg’s lead just before half-time, but Alex Manninger in the visitors’ goal made the save as the first-half ended 1-0.

The powerful Makiadi continued to impress in the second-half, but it was Schmid who eventually got the goal which secured the win with just under 30 minutes remaining.

Max Kruse produced a clever turn and through-ball for the 22-year-old, who found the net for the ninth time this season and in the process bagged Freiburg’s 600th Bundesliga goal.

The other match on Sunday saw Hamburg and Wolfsburg play out a 1-1 draw at the Imtech Arena, as Thorsten Fink’s men suffered a setback in their pursuit for European football.

Wolfsburg made their hosts battle for the lead, but Hamburg did eventually open the scoring as Heiko Westermann headed past Diego Benaglio from Rafael van der Vaart’s free-kick in the final moments of the first half.

The visitors’ equaliser came in the 61st minute as Makoto Hasebe used Bas Dost’s run to his advantage, sneaking in towards the far post where he pulled off a diving header to find the net.

Dost should have given Wolfsburg the win as the Dutch striker looked to get on to Hasebe’s cross, but he missed the ball when onside meaning Dieter Hecking’s side sit in 11th, while Hamburg occupy seventh.

Manuel Neuer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

214797_thumb.jpg

Sammer: All-German Champions League final is extraordinary
The former Germany international has voiced his delight with the up-coming clash between Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund, and downplayed his touchline spat with Jurgen Klopp

153397_thumb.jpg

Bundesliga is number one, says Bierhoff
The former striker has suggested there may be a "changing of the guard" in European football on the back of a successful season for German clubs in the Champions League

218462_thumb.jpg

Hamburg could sell Son, says Arnesen
The club's sporting director has admitted he could be forced to part company with the South Korean if he elects not to extend his current contract

141321_thumb.jpg

Weidenfeller seals new Dortmund deal
The veteran shot-stopper has put pen to paper on a new deal which keeps him at Signal Iduna Park until the summer of 2016

276595_thumb.jpg

Ribery eyes Bayern extension
The Frenchman has spent the last six years at the Allianz Arena but is hoping to sign a new deal to keep him at the club beyond 2015

240749_thumb.jpg

Letting Heynckes go is madness, says Prohaska
The Austrian feels the 67-year-old deserved a new contract at the Allianz Arena but admitted that incoming coach Pep Guardiola will secure "supremacy"

262027_thumb.jpg

Huntelaar: Bayern can buy whoever they want
The Netherlands international is impressed with the Bundesliga champions' prowess in the transfer market and has hailed German sides' success in Europe

272083_thumb.jpg

Eriksen open to Borussia Dortmund move
The creative midfielder is relishing the prospect of a potential switch to the Bundesliga amid ongoing speculation linking him with BVB

276387_thumb.jpg

Blaszczykowski warns Bayern & Dortmund players to keep cool heads in Champions League final
The Poland midfielder wants football, rather than any conflict, to take centre stage at Wembley when the fierce rivals clash for the biggest prize in European football

259560_thumb.jpg

Luuk de Jong hopes to progress in Bundesliga
The Netherlands striker believes Borussia Monchengladbach could serve as an important stepping stone for his career and is hopeful of winning the European U21 championships

276393_thumb.jpg

Reus desperate for Hummels stay
The Borussia Dortmund defender is a reported target for Barcelona but his team-mate is anxious to keep him at Signa Iduna Park, describing him as a "complete player"

277278_thumb.jpg

Forget El Clasico - Dortmund-Bayern is Europe's best rivalry now
Germany's finest teams fought out a closely contested encounter at the Westfalenstadion and Saturday and Goal takes a look at the major talking points

266562_thumb.jpg

Draxler: I'll be at Schalke next season
The playmaker has once more underlined his commitment to the Champions League chasers, while general manager Horst Heldt has priced him at a lofty €100 million

277272_thumb.jpg

Dortmund and Bayern is never a friendly, says Neuer
The Germany international was happy to escape with a point after he saved a penalty from Robert Lewandowski and saw Rafinha sent off

276413_thumb.jpg

'We have to think about Dzeko' - Klopp
The coach has responded to rumours linking him with a move for the Manchester City striker

267884_thumb.jpg

Shaqiri: Bayern want to become as dominant as Barcelona
The Switzerland star dreams of being considered the best in European for years and believes Pep Guardiola has big boots to fill when he takes Jupp Heynckes' place

276622_thumb.jpg

Muller swoons over 'super transfer' Gotze
The versatile attacker has hailed the signing of his Germany team-mate and believes the deal will prove to be good business for the Bavarians

Manuel Neuer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Watzke: We want Lewandowski for one more year

By Joe Wright
May 4, 2013 3:04:00 PM

276417hp2.jpg

The Borussia Dortmund chief executive is hopeful the striker will see out his contract at Signal Iduna Park, while stressing that no more players will be offered release clauses

Borussia Dortmund are eager for Robert Lewandowski to see out his contract at the club, according to chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke.

Lewandowski has long been courted by the likes of Bayern Munich and Manchester United after another impressive season with the Champions League finalists, but despite the risk of losing him on a free transfer, Watzke is keen to keep the Poland star until his current deal expires in 2014.

"Our desire is still that he will play for us at least one more year until his contract runs out [on June 30, 2014]," he told Suddeutsche Zeitung.

Dortmund have already lost star playmaker Mario Gotze to Bundesliga champions Bayern after they matched his €37 million release clause, and Watzke has made it clear they will not offer players the same such deal in contracts in future.

He added: "After winning two championships and going through to the Champions League finals, we have reached a status where we expect every player to unconditionally commit to the club."

Manuel Neuer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Guardiola hails Messi's 'false nine' mastery

By SW Lim
May 4, 2013 9:12:00 PM

220991hp2.jpg

The incoming Bayern Munich coach has spoken about the positional switch that has now become synonymous with the Argentina international

Pep Guardiola has hailed Lionel Messi's mastery of the 'false nine' position during his time in charge of Barcelona.

The Spaniard, who will take over from Jupp Heynckes as Bayern Munich coach at the end of the season, transformed the Argentine from a wide player to a roaming attacking force during his four years at Camp Nou.

And the 42-year-old revealed what prompted him to recognise the potential in his talisman, while crediting former assistant and current Blaugrana trainer Tito Vilanova with foreseeing the striker's greatness.

"His movement in the middle of the pitch was second to none," Guardiola told reporters at a function in Buenos Aires.

"The position allowed him to come back looking for the ball without being followed by the defenders. That way, we were able to dominate in that part of the pitch and he had more freedom to come and get the ball.

"He seemed shy when I first met him, as always. He was with his father and I didn't know him, but Tito had told me he was going to be a sensation - and he was spot on."

The forward has continued to blossom in the wake of his ex-mentor's departure, inspiring his outfit to the verge of a 22nd Liga title.

Manuel Neuer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga

WEMBLEY "REALISTIC" FOR GÖTZE

rma_bvb_goetze_seitenlinie_389.jpg

Although the diagnosis has been confirmed, Mario Götze (r.) faces a "realistic" chance of being fit for the Champions League final

Dortmund - Mario Götze’s hopes of bowing out on a high with Borussia Dortmund have been given a lift by the club’s doctor, who believes he could be fit to face FC Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champions League final.

Götze limped out of Tuesday’s semi-final against Real Madrid CF after tearing muscle fibres in his thigh.
Recovery "realistic"

It was initially feared his season would be over with a three to five-week recovery period required, ruling him out of Dortmund’s remaining Bundesliga matches and the Wembley final on 25 May.

However, Dr. Braun, despite confirming the initial diagnosis following tests in Dortmund’s Knappschaftskrankenhaus, said on the Westphalian club’s website that there is a “realistic” chance Götze will be fit.

The game would be Götze’s last for Dortmund before moving to Bayern Munich in the summer.

Kiessling

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hoeness to stay as Bayern Munich president despite tax problems

By Chris Kvesa
May 6, 2013 5:51:00 PM

270026hp2.jpg

The ex-West Germany international offered to leave office until the investigations surrounding the scandal are over but the board has elected to retain him

Bayern Munich have announced that president Uli Hoeness will retain his post despite being investigated for tax avoidance by the German authorities.

It was revealed earlier this year that the 61-year-old was the subject of suspicion but, although he has offered his resignation, the club have decided that he will remain in his current role.

"The supervisory board of Bayern Munich has had a meeting to look at the tax case concerning president Hoeness," a statement on the club's official website reads.

"Hoeness offered the board to resign from his office until the authorities in charge have decided over the possible clearance of a sentence due to his voluntary declaration.

"Hoeness has declared his regret over the incident and apologised.

"In the interest of Bayern Munich, who should be fully focused on achieving their goals in the Champions League finals on May 25 and in the DFB-Pokal on June 1, the board has decided that Hoeness should keep his post as president.

"The board will closely observe the matter and will pick up the topic again, should new insight come to our attention."