• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║║║║ Barclays Premier League Season 2012-13 ║║║║║

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea players are desperate for Mourinho to return to the Bridge, reveals Ivanovic

By LEE BRYAN PUBLISHED: 09:37 GMT, 1 May 2013 | UPDATED: 09:37 GMT, 1 May 2013

Branislav Ivanovic has urged Jose Mourinho to make a dramatic return to Chelsea.The Real Madrid boss appeared to issue a come-and-get-me plea to the Stamford Bridge club last night after his side were knocked out of the Champion League by Borussia Dortmund. And Ivanovic has revealed the Chelsea dressing room is united in their desire to see Mourinho replace Rafa Benitez.

article-2317578-198FF21D000005DC-549_634x391.jpg

Next move? Jose Mourinho looks set to join Chelsea after Real Madrid were knocked out of Europe

'Everyone who loves Chelsea hopes Mourinho will return,' he told a Serbian newspaper. 'As players we don't have any confirmed information that he would return. But we would all like it to happen because he is one of the best coaches in the world.'He is immensely respected by all for what he has done for the club.'With him we can be stronger as a club. It would add another dimension to Chelsea, and it would be sure to help us become one of the main contenders for the title.'Mourinho's Madrid side won 2-0 at the Bernabeu last night but lost 4-3 on aggregate.

article-2317578-19916770000005DC-875_634x376.jpg

Blunder: Mourinho appeared poised to announce his return to Chelsea when ITV cut him off

When asked if he would be at the Bernabeu next season, the former Chelsea manager said: 'Maybe not.'When asked to elaborate, Mourinho, who has had an uneasy three years in Spain, added: 'I want to be where people love me.'But Mourinho was cut short just as he looked set to reveal all, sparking criticism of ITV. He had been giving a post-match interview when reporter, Gabriel Clarke, wrapped things up so the channel could go to an advert break. Clarke said: 'Maybe next season with Real?', to which Mourinho said: 'Maybe not... I want to be where people love me.'

article-2317578-197CAA3F000005DC-770_634x415.jpg

Plea: Branislav Ivanovic (right) admitted the Chelsea dressing room want Mourinho to return

article-2317578-0287FE750000044D-875_634x561.jpg

Clarke responded with: 'We'll take that as England, we've got to go.'

Mourinho later admitted in his post-match press conference: 'I know in England I'm loved. I'm loved by the fans, I'm loved by the media that treats me in a fair way, criticising me but giving me credit when I deserve it. 'I know I'm loved by some clubs, especially one, and in Spain, the situation is a bit different because some people hate me. Many of you are in this room.'

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez has the mentality of a child, claims the man who brought Liverpool striker to Europe

By CARL MARKHAM, PRESS ASSOCIATION PUBLISHED: 11:18 GMT, 1 May 2013 | UPDATED: 11:26 GMT, 1 May 2013

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez 'sometimes has the mentality of a child' when he plays football, according to the man who brought him to Europe.
Henk Veldmate signed the Uruguay international for Groningen from Nacional as a 19-year-old in 2006 and said Suarez’s character was heavily influenced by his South American upbringing.'He’s a grown up person but also, in the way he likes playing football, he sometimes has the mentality of a child,' said the Dutch club’s sporting director.

article-2317638-197B1CD1000005DC-456_634x467.jpg

Like a child: Luis Suarez was described as such by the man who brought him to Europe

'That’s the way he enjoys playing. If you compare the mentality and attitude to Dutch players, then in South America it’s life or death.'To do the best for your family - it’s a way of life and a way of surviving.'Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers had suggested something similar in relation to Suarez’s background when he spoke last week immediately after the player received a 10-match ban for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic.

Veldmate, speaking in a Radio 5 Live documentary ‘What’s Eating Luis Suarez’ to be broadcast tonight, added it took him just 15 minutes to decide they had to sign the forward.
He had travelled to Uruguay to watch another player but was so taken by Suarez he immediately changed his priority.'He had everything you see today - he scored a goal and did some fantastic dribbles,' Veldmate added.'Sometimes you think he is lucky with his dribbles - he starts something and you think it is impossible but in the end it works and he creates a chance and scores a goal.'He dived to win a penalty, so all the things we see in Luis’ potential we saw in that 15 minutes and most importantly we saw he was a winner.'

Former Groningen team-mate Hugo Alves said that will to win was evident from the moment he arrived at the club.
'He is the type of player that once inside the box he is capable of anything to score a goal, to get the ball from an opponent,' he said.

article-2317638-197FCCBC000005DC-685_634x463.jpg

Incident: Suarez decided to bite Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic on the arm

'He does anything to win. He is a winner. And because of his way of thinking, if he is in the heat of the moment, full of emotion, he makes these kind of mistakes.'In the middle of an emotional game, he can vent it in the wrong way.'Obviously this kind of thing (biting) shouldn’t happen, cannot happen. It’s happened to him.'

article-2317638-197BE9EB000005DC-931_634x456.jpg

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Everton boss Moyes 'amazed' by Bundesliga

By Robert Butler
May 1, 2013 11:24:00 AM

240155hp2.jpg

With German football dominating the headlines, the Toffees manager expresses his admiration for the approach taken to the game in Germany

Everton manager David Moyes has heaped praise on the Bundesliga as reports continue that he could be tempted by a move to Germany in the summer.

The long-serving Toffees boss is out of contract at the end of the season and talk of him leaving the Merseyside club has been growing ever since he declined to pledge his future to the club, while German clubs have made headlines with Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund's Champions League exploits.

"When I've been to see games in Germany, I've been amazed with the atmosphere," Moyes told The Guardian. "People talk about the atmosphere in the Premier League but over there it is incredible.

"Nearly every club has a modern, up-to-date, stadium. The ticket prices aren't outrageous and nearly every game in sold out."

One of the reasons behind the success of the Bundesliga is due to the revolutionary '50+1' rule, created to ensure that an owner cannot gain control of more than 49 per cent of a club, ensuring that the key majority and voting power remains with the fans and members.

As a result of this, ticket prices have been kept to a minimum, profits have been put back into clubs to promote youth development and facilities have been modernised.

"I think that the 50+1 rule is encouraging," enthused Moyes. "There have been different winners of the league in recent years. I know Bayern Munich scaled it this season but Dortmund won it last year and it wasn't long ago Schalke won it and Bayer Leverkusen came close.

"Their youth teams and the way they develop player has been good, the Germans have been really good in how they've got their league right."

Despite the Glaswegian's enthusiasm for German football, he insisted that his mind remains open and that a decision regarding his future has not yet been made, concluding: "I've always said I wouldn't have a problem managing abroad and would want that opportunity in time but it's not my main ambition."

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Deals agreed: Mourinho & Falcao are Chelsea-bound

May 1, 2013 7:47:00 AM

256960hp2.jpg

After months of negotiations the European champions have reached a breakthrough in their efforts to bring back the Special One and recruit the prolific Atletico Madrid striker

By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Jose Mourinho has agreed a deal to re-join Chelsea as their manager this summer – and is poised to bring €59 million striker Radamel Falcao with him.

Goal.com understands that the Real Madrid boss is expected to be unveiled in the Stamford Bridge hot seat at the end of the season following a breakthrough in negotiations with the club over the last week.

The Chelsea high command, led by Roman Abramovich, have been in talks with Mourinho’s camp for months about a sensational return for the man who led the club to two Premier League titles during his first spell in charge from 2004-2007.

Negotiations have centred on how much control Mourinho will have in recruiting players and staff, as well as his place in a management structure where low-profile technical director Michael Emenalo holds the levers of power.

It is believed that, following a series of twists and turns during discussions, an agreement in principle has been reached for the Portuguese to take over from interim manager Rafael Benitez this summer.

Mourinho is expected to put pen to paper and formalise the deal when he ends his three-year spell in Madrid at the end of next month.

A report in Germany last week claimed that Chelsea were on the brink of landing both Mourinho and Atletico Madrid’s spearhead Falcao.

Goal.com understands that the European champions have since made further progress with both deals and are confident that Mourinho will announce the prolific Colombian, who is also represented by super agent Jorge Mendes, as one of his first signings.

Chelsea, who came close to landing Falcao last August and then again in January, have been in talks with Atletico top brass for weeks about the structure of a deal which is complicated by uncertainty over the future of goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, who has been extremely impressive since joining the Spanish club on loan at the start of last season.

Chelsea are prepared to allow the Belgian keeper to continue his development by staying in Madrid for another season if it eases Falcao's path to west London.

The Blues have made it clear that they are willing to activate the €59m release clause in the striker’s Atletico contract.

The deal is a complex one because of third-party ownership issues - with Mendes part of a consortium holding an interest in Falcao - but Chelsea have intensified their efforts to land the front man in a bid to ensure the transfer can be completed.

The London club have made Falcao a contract offer and it is believed that personal terms have already been agreed on a deal that is likely to make the striker one of the highest paid players in Premier League history.

Goal.com exclusively revealed in March that the former Porto man is chasing a deal worth around €295,000 per week.

Mourinho and senior Chelsea officials regard the Colombian, who has scored 32 goals in 36 games for Atletico this season, as an upgrade on current front men Fernando Torres and Demba Ba.

Falcao has the pedigree and star quality which Chelsea thought they had acquired with the £50m purchase of Torres in January 2010, but the Spaniard is now likely to be put up for sale to help fund the purchase of the player earmarked to be his replacement.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

275668_thumb.jpg

Barton will play in Championship if Marseille move fails, insists QPR owner Fernandes
The 30-year-old is currently enjoying a season-long loan at the Ligue 1 outfit, but the relegated club's chairman has insisted that no deal is in place to sell the midfielder

250038_thumb.jpg

Benitez: Chelsea will play strongest team against Basel
The interim manager says he will not run the risk of the Swiss side overturning their one-goal deficit from the first leg and danger the Blues' passage to the Europa League final

272013_thumb.jpg

I am at my peak, says Carrick
The England international believes he has improved greatly since moving to Old Trafford and, following a fifth Premier League title win, is now in the form of his life

263301_thumb.jpg

'He's like a Rolls Royce' - Parker praises Vertonghen
The Belgium international has enjoyed an exceptional debut campaign at White Hart Lane that was recognised by his selection in the PFA Premier League Team of the Year

257808_thumb.jpg

Cazorla: Arsenal must aim for trophies
The Spanish midfielder wants the club to learn from their inconsistencies this season and challenge for silverware next year, rather than simply aiming for a top-four finish

275298_thumb.jpg

Suarez has the mentality of a child, claims former coach Veldmate
The man who signed the Uruguayan for Groningen as a 19-year-old in 2006 believes the controversial Liverpool striker's character is influenced by his South American upbringing

270114_thumb.jpg

Coutinho will only get better, says Lucas
The 26-year-old believes the January signing from Inter has shone since his arrival, and has credited the Reds' contingent of South American players with helping him adapt

236035_thumb.jpg

Everton still in top-four race, insists Howard
The Toffees goalkeeper refuses to give up hope despite conceding it is unlikely that the Merseysiders can overhaul the three London clubs also in the Champions League hunt

248395_thumb.jpg

'Manchester City aiming to finish in style'
With his side 14 points behind runaway leaders and rivals Manchester United, the club's assistant has reassured fans that the club will not ease up as the season draws to a close

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wife orders Suarez to improve image after latest on-pitch misdemeanour

By DOMINIC KING PUBLISHED: 21:30 GMT, 1 May 2013 | UPDATED: 21:30 GMT, 1 May 2013

Luis Suarez is heeding warnings from his wife Sofia in an attempt to change his image. The Liverpool striker, serving a 10-match suspension for biting Branislav Ivanovic, was described as 'sometimes having the mentality of a child' by Henk Veldmate, the director of football who brought him to Europe when he signed for Groningen. Although Suarez, 26, has tempered his behaviour since the start of the season, his wife has told him that the image he portrays is proving detrimental.

article-2317906-1993E899000005DC-655_634x644.jpg

Cool it: Luis Suarez's wife, Sofia, wanted the Liverpool striker to clean up his image

article-2317638-197B1CD1000005DC-456_634x467.jpg

Like a child: Luis Suarez was described as such by the man who brought him to Europe

Now the Uruguayan says he intends to use her advice to help his rehabilitation.In an interview with Liverpool's official magazine, Suarez revealed: 'My wife has made observations like, "You were arguing with the referee and the defenders too much; you didn't really seem up for it; you might as well have not been on the pitch".

article-2317638-197FCCBC000005DC-685_634x463.jpg

Incident: Suarez decided to bite Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic on the arm

'I go away, think about it and realise she was right. 'She said people must go away and think that is what I am like off the pitch, even though I'm usually relaxed and easy-going. 'Having a wife that closely watches the game is good. She knows me better than anyone else and I want her observations to help me play better and be a happier person.' Veldmate, who took Suarez to Holland in 2006, said: 'In the way he likes playing football, he sometimes has the mentality of a child. If you compare the mentality and attitude to Dutch players, then in South America it's dead or alive.'

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

REVEALED: Liverpool's new home kit unveiled... and it looks like Suarez is staying

By DAN RIPLEY PUBLISHED: 23:01 GMT, 1 May 2013 | UPDATED: 23:01 GMT, 1 May 2013

Liverpool have given the clearest indication yet of their intention to hang on to Luis Suarez, after the club used the star striker to help unveil their latest home strip. The Uruguayan is currently serving a 10-match domestic ban for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic during a 2-2 draw at Anfield last month, an incident that prompted calls for the Merseyside club to dispense of the controversial forward.But after unveiling a promotional campaign for their new strip that contains Suarez as well as other key first-team players such as Steven Gerrard, Philippe Coutinho, Daniel Sturridge and Pepe Reina, the Reds appear to be fully behind the striker who has scored 23 goals this term.

article-2317789-19935D09000005DC-563_634x363.jpg

Staying put? Luis Suarez posed in the new Liverpool strip alongside Steven Gerrard and Pepe Reina

Made by Warrior, the home kit is the second produced by the American sportswear manufacturer and is based on the club’s 1984 kit – the year Liverpool won their fourth European Cup. The all-red strip contains subtle changes from this season’s number, with the sleeves and collar now displaying white trim in a strip that is sure to go down well with supporters.Two embroidered Eternal Flames alongside a 96 logo are located on the nape of the shirt’s neck to commemorate the events at Hillsborough in 1989. It’s a design that’s proven a real hit with captain Gerrard, who confirmed the team have taken well to the new home strip.

article-2317789-19935D20000005DC-749_306x308.jpg
article-2317789-19935CCE000005DC-678_306x308.jpg

Past glories: The kit takes inspiration from the strip worn by the European Cup winning side of 1984

article-2317789-19935CEC000005DC-560_306x423.jpg
article-2317789-19935D2E000005DC-678_306x423.jpg

‘The players and I are all genuine fans of the new kit,’ the midfielder said. ‘It will certainly spark many happy memories of the club’s famous fourth European Cup win for supporters of that era. ‘As with all Liverpool shirts, I will wear it with pride and carry the excitement and history of what it represents, and, as a team, we hope to bring that success back to the club.’ Brendan Rodgers also welcomed the new design, as the Liverpool boss said: ‘It’s distinctly Liverpool which the players and I love. It exceeds what we need it to do technically while also delivering a strong visual statement.’Warrior are about to enter their second year supplying the Anfield based team, having taken over from adidas at the start of this season in a record breaking £25m-a-year deal.

article-2317789-199365EC000005DC-813_634x395.jpg

article-2317789-199366A8000005DC-361_306x462.jpg
article-2317789-19936D08000005DC-919_306x462.jpg

Kings of Europe: Liverpool's latest strip takes inspiration form the sleeves and collar of the 1984 kit which the club won the European Cup in featuring players like Ian Rush (left) and Kenny Dalglish

‘The new home kit pays tribute to the renowned success LFC is built on, but it is also a nod to the future,’ said Richard Wright, head of Warrior Football. ‘With high performance the top priority, our design team has further developed what was loved about our last design and lifted it to a new level. The result is an innovative take on the iconic red jersey.’ Engineered to enable optimum on-pitch performance, the kit has been constructed using War-Tech, Warrior’s signature apparel technology system. Highly breathable, moisture-wicking War-Tech fabric has been used to build the main body of the shirt. Four-way stretch mesh paneling under the arms and across the back will allow for unparalleled airflow and ventilation, helping players stay comfortable in core heat areas of the body. Despite supplying Liverpool, Warrior are keen to expand and have targeted another record breaking deal to supply Manchester United from 2015 in a deal that could be worth around £30m.

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

EXCLUSIVE: Chelsea must fork out £12m to free Mourinho from Real Madrid

By NEIL ASHTON PUBLISHED: 21:54 GMT, 1 May 2013 | UPDATED: 21:54 GMT, 1 May 2013

Roman Abramovich will have to pay as much as £12million to bring Jose Mourinho back to Chelsea. The Real Madrid coach inserted a break clause in the four-year contract he signed at the Bernabeu last summer after he won La Liga. Mourinho's contract runs until 2016, but Chelsea may have to pay Madrid up to a year of that to bring him back to Stamford Bridge.

article-2317966-19902801000005DC-272_634x436.jpg

On the ball: Chelsea must pay Real Madrid £12m in order to bring Jose Mourinho back to Chelsea

Mourinho claimed he will be leaving the Spanish club after they were beaten in the Champions League semi-final for the third successive year. He had a gentleman's agreement with Madrid president Florentino Perez that he could walk away from his contract without financial compensation if they went on to win their 10th European Cup. Instead Chelsea will have to negotiate Mourinho's release from the world's biggest football club if Abramovich decides to appoint him.

article-2317966-19934AE3000005DC-453_634x454.jpg

Wanted: The Chelsea fans are keen to see Mourinho return to Stamford Bridge this summer

article-2317966-19934AD7000005DC-56_634x448.jpg

Chelsea, who were turned down by Mourinho when they made an approach last summer, have the Portuguese coach in their sights, even though Abramovich paid £18m to get rid of him and his staff in 2007.

Mourinho made an emotional appeal to Chelsea to rescue him from Spanish football after his side lost their Champions League semi-final with Borussia Dortmund 4-3 on aggregate. The Madrid coach claimed that he is 'loved' in this country and added that at least one club in England - presumably Chelsea - were still in thrall with him. Mourinho's potential return to Chelsea has been complicated by the £18m compensation package Abramovich paid in 2007.The relationship between the pair has improved in the intervening years and Chelsea's billionaire owner is under pressure to appease supporters by appointing Mourinho as manager.

The Real Madrid coach won two Premier League titles, the FA Cup, two Carling Cups and the Community Shield in three seasons at Chelsea.
He went on to win the Champions League with Inter Milan in 2010 and secured the La Liga title in his second season with Real Madrid. Despite taking them to three semi-finals, they have lost over two legs against Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund. There is also the possibility that Chelsea could still finish outside the top four in the Premier League under their interim coach Rafa Benitez.

article-2317966-19933016000005DC-437_634x394.jpg

All smiles: But interim boss Rafa Benitez is expected to leave Chelsea at the end of the season

Without Champions League football, Mourinho would take some convincing to return to London. Despite what amounted to a resignation live on air after the defeat against Dortmund, Mourinho's future is unlikely to be resolved before next month when he will talk to Perez. As well as discussing his next move Mourinho took a swipe at the Spanish media.'Here there are people that hate me, many of them are in this room', he said in his press conference.

article-2317966-19926752000005DC-942_634x416.jpg

Catch me if you can: Frank Lampard and his Chelsea team-mates are put through their paces yesterday

Indeed, the manner in which Mourinho talked about his future did not go down well with Madrid fans or the Spanish press. Sports newspaper Diario AS were most damning. They carried a picture of Sergio Ramos and Iker Casillas, the club's legendary goalkeeper who Mourinho has dropped this season, embracing beneath the banner headline 'Miracle on Miracle off...' below were the words 'And Mourinho is navel gazing'. His comment about English clubs wanting him was seen as self indulgent.

article-2317966-1993C9A4000005DC-559_634x437.jpg

Under attack: Mourinho was given a rough ride by the Spanish press after Madrid's Champions League exit

The paper also ran a fan poll yesterday on whether Mourinho will stay and by mid-afternoon over 32,000 people had responded with 82 per cent voting that he will be off as soon as the final whistle is blown on the last match at home to Osasuna on June 1. Elsewhere the headlines ranged from 'Adios Big Ears', a reference to the trophy Madrid will not be winning at the end of this month, and also 'Failure Accomplished'. Madrid are likely to finish runners-up in the La Liga behind Barcelona but before that final game with Osasuna they still have to play the Copa del Rey final against Atletico Madrid on May 17.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

262040_thumb.jpg

Liverpool & Tottenham alerted by cut-price Remy clause
The in-demand QPR striker is expected to leave Loftus Road for as little as €6.5 million this summer due to a relegation release option in his high-salary contract

269491_thumb.jpg

Kuyt keen for Europa League final reunion with Benitez
The Fenerbahce man was brought to the Premier League in 2006 while the Spaniard was in charge of Liverpool and the coach remains one of the forward's chief career influences

222766_thumb.jpg

Podolski to undergo ankle operation in the summer
The Germany international has been advised to have corrective surgery on the injury problem that has troubled him ever since he joined Arsenal during the previous close season

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

244037_thumb.jpg

Terry accepts Rafa's rotation policy
The Chelsea skipper assures fans that he is still happy to be at the club, despite his game time being reduced since the ex-Liverpool boss' appointment

273817_thumb.jpg

'Everton haven't won anything' - Gerrard stokes fire ahead of Merseyside derby
The Liverpool captain is happy to admit that he Toffees might finish above his side this season but does not see it as a "big deal" as David Moyes's side have no trophies

231155_thumb.jpg

Hazard and Mata can make the difference for Chelsea against Manchester United, says Southgate
The former England centre-back believes the attacking midfield pair will be crucial to the Blues' hopes on Sunday, while also praising Brazilian defender David Luiz's recent form

276562_thumb.jpg

Mourinho's agent: 80% chance Jose will manage Chelsea next season
The Portuguese boss is on the way out of the Spanish capital, with the 50-year-old's agent revealing there is a high probability his next destination will be Stamford Bridge

229203_thumb.jpg

Assou-Ekotto wants to stay at Tottenham beyond his current contract
The Cameroon international has dismissed claims that he is a mercenary, while also rubbishing speculation suggesting he has a sour relationship with Andre Villas-Boas

161336_thumb.jpg

Jol: It would take 'a lot of money' for Fulham to sell Berbatov
The 57-year-old has dismissed speculation linking the Bulgarian with a move to Russia, insisting he hasn't heard about a move and that the forward "wants to stay" at Craven Cottage

118658_thumb.jpg

Arsenal goalkeeper Fabianski wary of QPR's Tottenham connection
The 28-year-old believes the likes of Harry Redknapp, Adel Taarabt and Andros Townsend will want to help their old club by taking points off the Gunners when they meet on Saturday

216870_thumb.jpg

Defeat against Southampton will end Tottenham's top-four hopes, warns Lloris
The goalkeeper also believes Gareth Bale will play a vital role in Spurs' quest to secure Champions League football for next season

207074_thumb.jpg

Mancini encourages Sinclair to leave Manchester City
The 24-year-old has struggled to break into the Italian's first-team plans this season and has managed just 14 appearances in all competitions

275812_thumb.jpg

Van Persie and Benitez scoop monthly awards
The Dutchman struck six times in five matches in April, while the Spaniard guided his side to three wins and a draw last month

256403_thumb.jpg

Sturridge makes things easy for me, insists Coutinho
The Brazilian dazzled during Saturday's 6-0 thrashing of Newcastle, but is adamant that having such quality strikers in front of him makes his creative role much simpler

275983_thumb.jpg

Reginald D. Hunter hits back at critics after controversial PFA speech
The American comedian has defended his comments at Sunday night's Player of the Year awards after using the word 'n*****' several times on stage in front of a star-studded crowd

190515_thumb.jpg

Europa League final ticket allocation 'beggars belief' - Chelsea Supporters' Trust chair
The Blues and opponents Benfica have been given 9,800 tickets apiece for the 52,000-seater Amsterdam Arena, with the majority reserved to cater for the 'Uefa family'

274365_thumb.jpg

Ferguson vows to honour top-four battle
The 71-year-old says he will field a strong team for his side's clash against Chelsea on Sunday, and respect the other teams' race for the Champions League spots

274292_thumb.jpg

Enzo Perez: Chelsea not favourites in Europa League final
The Benfica midfielder believes that his side are at eye level with the west Londoners ahead of their clash with Rafa Bentiez's men in Amsterdam

263632_thumb.jpg

Wenger insists he wants to stay at Arsenal
The Gunners manager intends to remain at the Emirates Stadium for the foreseeable future amid reports of him joining Paris Saint-Germain at the end of the season

264134_thumb.jpg

Bayern Munich make enquiry for Arsenal defender Koscielny
Incoming coach Pep Guardiola has sanctioned a €23.7 million summer swoop for the defender but the Gunners are confident of fending off the German giants' interest

276861_thumb.jpg

'We lost three finals this season, so now is the time to win' - Luiz issues Chelsea rallying call
After losing out in the Community Shield, Uefa Super Cup and World Club Cup, the Brazilian is desperate for victory in the Europa League in Amsterdam on May 15

276835_thumb.jpg

'I came to do a professional job' - Chelsea boss Benitez delighted with Europa League final berth
The Spaniard is set to leave Stamford Bridge at the end of the season when his short-term contract ends, but he commended his players' attitudes after reaching the May 15 showpiece

272373_thumb.jpg

Hillsborough inquests to be held in the North West, Lord Justice Goldring confirms
There was some division during the recent preliminary hearing over the location of the investigations, but the coroner has decided against holding them in London

251081_thumb.jpg

Walcott hoping to lead the line in Arsenal's Champions League push
The England international is the Gunners' leading scorer this season, and is hoping for more opportunities to play as a striker after being deployed on the wing recently

256121_thumb.jpg

Liverpool captain Gerrard expects Suarez to stay at Anfield next season
The England skipper believes the Uruguayan will be "desperate to atone" for the 10-match ban handed to him for biting Branislav Ivanovic, and does not think he will leave the club

256787_thumb.jpg

Podolski can succeed up front, insists Wenger
The German replaced the suspended Olivier Giroud up front against Manchester United, and his manager is set to stick with him in the central role

219953_thumb.jpg

Ferguson backs Carrick for England
The 31-year-old has endured a stuttering Three Lions career since making his debut over a decade ago, but his club boss thinks now could be the time for him to make his mark

258481_thumb.jpg

Bale will stay at Tottenham, claims Villas-Boas
The Spurs boss is confident of fending off interest from Europe's biggest names in the Welshman, claiming the club have assured him that they will not sell up

255362_thumb.jpg

Lucas Piazon open to Chelsea exit
The 19-year-old Brazilian speaks fondly of his time in London, but would not mind leaving Stamford Bridge if the club decide they no longer want him at the end of the season

272929_thumb.jpg

David Luiz: Europa League can salvage Chelsea's season
The Blues became the first-ever holders to be eliminated at the Champions League group stage and the Brazilian wants to make amends in the second-tier competition

251027_thumb.jpg

Manchester United to offer Rooney new four-year deal
The 27-year-old has two years remaining on his current £250,000-a-week salary and Old Trafford executives are wary of allowing the England star to run down his contract

275881_thumb.jpg

Tottenham star Bale named FWA Footballer of the Year
The flying Welshman becomes the 15th player to be recognised by the PFA and football writers in the same season, with Robin van Persie and Juan Mata completing the top three

246141_thumb.jpg

Mourinho gave me belief to be a manager, says Rodgers
The Northern Irishman was brought to Chelsea as a youth and reserve coach during the Portuguese boss' Stamford Bridge reign, before going on to launch his career with Watford

258512_thumb.jpg

Berbatov agent reveals Russian interest
The Fulham forward was subject of interest from Zenit St Petersburg during his time with Manchester United and is now being lined up by several other clubs from the country

270179_thumb.jpg

Rodgers snubs Liverpool qualification for Europe via Fair Play League
Finland, Norway and Sweden are currently positioned to get an extra spot in the Europa League but, should England move up the rankings, the Reds could be afforded a place

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

QPR owner Fernandes not convinced of swift Premier League return

By Tom Marshall-Bailey
May 2, 2013 10:42:00 PM

271029hp2.jpg

The owner of the relegated west London club believes his side may have to accept a two or three season wait in the Championship before they bounce back to the top flight

QPR owner Tony Fernandes believes the club may have to wait "two or three seasons" before making a return to the Premier League following their relegation from the top flight.

The west London club were relegated after they drew 0-0 with Reading last weekend, but Fernandes has warned fans that any hopes they had of an immediate promotion could be fanciful.

He told BBC Sport: "It might take us two or three seasons.

"We may have to [play the long game]. And there are a couple of things that we're looking at. Do we invest in lots and lots of young players like Aston Villa?

"But we'll get the infrastructure of the players right. We've got everything else right in terms of the brand, in terms of the exposure, the plans for the training ground, the stadium. We've just got to get that player infrastructure right."

In a statement released on the club's website earlier this week, Fernandes had been particularly critical of certain players at the club and how their attitudes were not acceptable throughout the course of the season.

In his statement, Fernandes said: "It's heartbreaking for me when we lose. I don't want to go out, I just want to stay at home.

"I haven't said it throughout the season because it wasn't right to be said, but it hurt me when I saw some of the players who didn't feel the way I felt.

"And in fact, in their case, it should be worse because this is their job, it's their life. It was probably the low point for me when I saw the reaction of some of the players."

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United post record turnover figures

By Dale Jones
May 2, 2013 6:44:00 PM

274385hp2.jpg

The Premier League champions’ third-quarter turnover of £91.7 million was released to the New York Stock Exchange on Thursday, but gross debt still stands at £367.6m

Manchester United posted a record £91.7 million turnover for the club's third quarter.

Sponsorship revenue for the Red Devils has played a major factor in the results with a 52.2 per cent increase, along with a 27.9% rise of commercial income over the full nine-month period.

Other benefactors are the broadcast sector, which shows a 21.7% rise, and the match day sector which has risen 34% on the corresponding three months last year.

Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward explained on a conference call: "Each of our three primary sectors - commercial, broadcasting and match day - delivered strong top-line gains and helped us achieve a record third quarter for both revenue and adjusted EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation, and Amortisation)."

For all the increases in revenue, there has been increases in expenses. Total operating expenses increased 18.6% for the third-quarter and wages rose 25.1% to £44.9m, mainly due to new signings Robin van Persie and Shinji Kagawa.

However, the club have started to take action in reducing the wage bill by offering Wayne Rooney a new four-year deal with a lower basic wage, exclusively revealed by Goal.com.

And vice-chairman Woodward doesn't expect many signings at Old Trafford in the summer, despite Sir Alex Ferguson's claims he had been thinking of re-building his squad.

"I wouldn't expect there to be a major retooling of the squad," said Woodward.

"There is incredible depth. We could put two first teams out with 11 internationals in each.

"It has been a phenomenal season. We are a long way ahead in the Premier League and whilst I wouldn't describe the way we got knocked out of the Champions League as luck things could have gone differently in that game.

"We have a young squad and each of those are a year older. We are very comfortable with make-up of team and squad."

The club expects the overall annual income to be £360m, and although the gross debt still stands at £367.6m, it represents a 15.9 per cent decrease on June 30 2012.

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Signing Hulk is impossible, says Tottenham manager Villas-Boas

By Scott Rumsey
May 3, 2013 10:44:00 AM

230969hp2.jpg

The Spurs boss has ruled out a move for the Zenit forward, saying that they can afford neither the player's wages or the fee the Russians would demand

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas says that a move for Zenit St Petersburg striker Hulk will be "impossible" this summer.

Spurs have been searching for a new striker for some time, having played this season with only two recognised first-team forwards.

Villas-Boas worked with Hulk at Porto, but admits that the north London club simply cannot afford both the transfer fee Zenit would likely command, and the wages he is currently paid in Russia.

"He was my player and scored 36 goals in one season but it's impossible he will make a move here because of the wages that he earns, which would break our balance," Villas-Boas told reporters.

"He may have options in the summer but to a club like Tottenham his transfer fee is also impossible."

Hulk 10 major trophies with Porto, including the Europa league and three league titles. But since joining Zenit in September 2012 for a reported fee of €55m million, the Brazil international has scored just seven goals.

Spurs failed in a deadline day bid for Hulk's Brazil team-mate Leandro Damiao in January, but Internacional president Giovanni Luigi revealed that his club has spoken with the Premier League side, and he is "very likely" to move to England.

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool need £200m to be title contenders - McAllister

May 3, 2013 9:46:00 AM

gary-mcallister-007.jpg

The Reds, without a league title in 23 years, are currently languish in seventh in the table and the Scot believes that only significant investment can help

EXCLUSIVE
By Paul Clennam

It would take £200 million of transfer spending to turn Liverpool back into Premier League title challengers, according to former Reds star Gary McAllister.

The Merseyside giants' last league triumph came in 1990 and their most recent meaningful challenge in the 2008-09 season under Rafa Benitez.

In the meantime, Manchester United have overtaken Liverpool as the most successful club in English football, winning 13 of their record 20 league titles under Sir Alex Ferguson.

This season Brendan Rodgers' men languish in seventh in the Premier League,and McAllister believes that significant investment is required to bring back the glory days.

"I think it's purely down to finances," he told Goal.

"For Liverpool to be really competing where they want to be competing – that means winning the league – they're a couple of hundred million quid away.

"They're going to finish seventh this season, behind Everton, and, if the owners can't come up with those funds, it's going to be gradual; developing players, picking players from Europe in that £8m, £9m, £10m bracket and developing them into stars that can compete right at the very top."

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Sweeper: The true cost of Manchester United's title win

May 4, 2013 7:53:00 AM

274385hp2.jpg

The Old Trafford outfit boast the two best-paid players in Britain in an astonishing €237 million wage bill, while David Moyes leans towards signing a new deal at Everton

€237.5 MILLION WAGE BILL THE TRUE COST OF MANCHESTER UNITED'S TITLE WIN

Manchester United may still be celebrating their dominant title win but the club's mammoth €237.5 million wage bill has revealed the true, astronomical cost of regaining the Premier League - and seen them leapfrog neighbours Manchester City as the country’s biggest salary spenders.

The Old Trafford outfit have announced a huge 25 per cent leap in wage payments - totalling €53.3m in the third quarter before tax - largely thanks to new signings Robin van Persie and Shinji Kagawa, renegotiated contracts for other squad players and new positions within the club's commercial operation.

United's relative third-quarter wage costs totalled just below €40.4m before tax in last year's equivalent results, with the club’s annual bill coming to €190m.

The announcement came as the club recorded three-month turnover of €108.9m on the New York stock exchange earlier this week, as well as a 52.2% increase in sponsorship revenue following a number of high-profile commercial deals in the Far East.

The vast salaries at the club are best typified by the €296k-a-week deals currently paid to Van Persie and Wayne Rooney, making the forward pair Britain's top-earning footballers, with their deals alone costing United €28.5m per year.

The Premier League champions are wary of controlling their growing wage costs and are set to reduce their top-line spending by offering Wayne Rooney a reduced deal this summer.

City's last annual financial results, released in January, showed that the Etihad Stadium outfit had paid €206.5m in the previous year, totalling €238.6m after tax. However, The Sweeper understands that the second-placed Premier League side have actively looking to cut their salary expenditure, with the departures of Nigel de Jong, Emmanuel Adebayor and Mario Balotelli all contributing to the club's wage restructure.

- Paul Clennam

MOYES LEANING TOWARDS EXTENDING EVERTON REIGN

David Moyes has said that he will wait to see how Everton's season ends before he commits himself to negotiations about extending his contract.

But The Sweeper understands that the Scot is leaning towards staying at Goodison Park, regardless of how the Merseysiders finish the campaign.

Moyes has already begun formalising summer transfer targets and is believed to be making long-term plans about the club's coaching set-up.

Some view this as indicative of Moyes's professionalism and thoroughness but friends are confident that he now wants to extend a reign that began 11 years ago.

Publicly, Moyes, whose contract expires in at the end of June, is saying that he is yet to make his mind up about his future and Everton chairman Bill Kenwright has admitted that the uncertainty over their manager has left the club in a difficult position.

"[Moyes] has made a simple statement: 'Give me to the end of the season'. He knows in making that statement it is not the easiest one for the football club and he's acknowledged that to me," Kenwright stated.

Goal.com revealed in April that Everton are keeping tabs on Porto manager Vitor Pereira as a fall-back option, along with long-time target Roberto Martinez.

- Wayne Veysey

GARCIA SCOUTING REPORTS "WERE NOT PARTICULARLY GLOWING"

Manchester City fans watching Javi Martinez dominate the midfield alongside Bastian Schweinsteiger during Bayern Munich's Champions League annihilation of Barcelona could be forgiven for feeling a pang of envy.

City's pursuit of Martinez last summer has been well publicised, although less well known is how far down the club's defensive midfield target list had been eventual signing Javi Garcia.

A senior figure involved in City's recruitment last year said that Martinez had been the clear No.1 target for the anchor role, followed by second choice Daniele De Rossi of Roma, with Garcia a distant third.

"Javi Garcia was never on the radar, ever," the source told The Sweeper. "The scouting reports were not particularly glowing."

The Spaniard's disappointing debut campaign at the Etihad Stadium is not a surprise for some at the club, even though a hefty €20m was spent on recruiting him from Benfica.

- Wayne Veysey

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mancini in the dark over future after City hold talks with Malaga coach Pellegrini

By JOHN EDWARDS PUBLISHED: 21:00 GMT, 3 May 2013 | UPDATED: 21:00 GMT, 3 May 2013

Roberto Mancini faces an increasingly uncertain future at Manchester City after admitting he has received no reassurances over the club's recent meeting with Manuel Pellegrini's agent. Pellegrini has emerged as one of the prime candidates to take over this summer, and Mancini might have expected an explanation from his City bosses after director of football Txiki Begiristain met the Malaga coach's representative for lunch in Madrid.But instead, asked whether chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak had set his mind at rest by telling him he would remain in charge, the City manager said: 'Never, never. We don't have to talk about this. We don't have any problems. We have a good relationship. In two years, we have won three trophies, and now we have a chance for another one.

article-0-199B5DC1000005DC-546_634x405.jpg

Centre of attention: Roberto Mancini admits he is in the dark over his Manchester City future

article-0-1996EE88000005DC-955_634x418.jpg

Second best: Manchester City failed to retain the Premier League title this season

'If in three years I didn't win, then OK, but we did a good job until now. We have a chance to win the FA Cup and are second in the table. After that, the chairman can take any decision about his manager, but at the moment, we don't have any problem. I am frustrated, because I wanted to win a second Premier League. We had a chance, but sometimes you can do mistakes.
'You should ask these questions to Txiki, but it is not important to me. I hope he had a good dinner.

article-0-198E696B000005DC-864_306x423.jpg
article-2319165-199C8171000005DC-898_306x423.jpg

Discussions: Txiki Begiristain (right) held talks with Manuel Pellegrini's agent over dinner

article-0-199B6808000005DC-384_634x419.jpg

Target: Former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has been linked with a move to the Etihad Stadium

'Over the last six months, people have written everything, starting with Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho, then Pellegrini, Carlo Ancelotti and Brendan Rodgers. I know I work with serious people, like Khaldoon and Sheikh Mansour, but if there was another manager who won three trophies in two years, you would say nothing about him.' Mancini is pressing ahead with plans for next season and would ideally like to bring in a striker, centre-back, defensive midfielder, playmaker and winger. But with misgivings remaining about the way relationships have deteriorated with some senior players, he faces an anxious wait to discover whether his wishes will be met.

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Stop crowing! Benitez never shuts up about his CV, says old foe Ferguson ahead of Man United's clash against Chelsea

By JOHN EDWARDS and MATT BARLOW PUBLISHED: 09:24 GMT, 3 May 2013 | UPDATED: 23:51 GMT, 3 May 2013

Sir Alex Ferguson has accused Rafa Benitez of being driven by self-interest. One of English football's fiercest rivalries will be resumed at Old Trafford on Sunday, and there was no sign of any let-up in hostilities. Asked whether winning the Europa League would be important to Benitez, Ferguson replied that the Chelsea manager was 'very concerned with his c.v.'.

article-2318797-196FB4E7000005DC-572_634x434.jpg

All about him: Sir Alex Ferguson suggested Rafa Benitez cares too much about personal glory

article-2318797-03D3B8D30000044D-232_634x454.jpg

Familiar: Benitez and Ferguson have been rivals ever since the Spaniard's days at Liverpool

He also accused the Chelsea interim boss, named manager of the month for April, of repeatedly snubbing his invitations for a post-match drink. Benitez responded by suggesting his Manchester United counterpart had built his domestic success on big spending, and had failed to replicate that success on the European stage.As he prepared for the visit of Chelsea, Ferguson further illustrated a lingering animosity that dates back to Benitez's Liverpool days by accusing him of stirring up trouble after the recent FA Cup tie at Old Trafford.

article-2318797-199BB42F000005DC-644_634x427.jpg

Trophy: Benitez was named the Barclays Premier League Manager of the Month on Friday

article-2318797-199BB8F7000005DC-771_634x428.jpg

Be prepared: Benitez will take Chelsea to Old Trafford on Sunday as they bid to finish in the top four

Benitez complained about the lack of a handshake from Ferguson, but the United manager hit back and revealed how his rival regularly stays away from his office after games.'I never even saw him at Old Trafford, so I don't know why he went and made such an issue of it (the handshake),' he said. 'When we went down to Stamford Bridge we shook hands before and after the game. There are no problems for me. We do it all the time. It is part of the English culture that you do that. 'At the end of the game, we always shake hands and always have a meeting in my office with both sets of staff. It is a fantastic thing to do. You don't get it abroad, but it is the right thing to do.

article-2318797-1907F623000005DC-93_634x421.jpg

Cup progress: Chelsea beat United when the teams last met on April 1 thanks to Demba Ba's volley

article-2318797-19987B1B000005DC-231_634x430.jpg

Showdown: Chelsea advanced to the Europa League final after defeating Basle 3-1 on Thursday night

'It is an opportunity to get away from the game itself. You maybe see managers twice a year, when you play them, so that opportunity to spend half an hour with them after a match is vital. You can discuss your jobs and lots of issues. 'He came in once when he was at Liverpool, but I don't think he's come in again. He never even came in when we went to Anfield.

article-2318797-196F8B7D000005DC-58_306x423.jpg

Drinking from the bottle: Ferguson celebrating United's 20th top-flight title last month

'It's not easy going in if you have lost, but I always say to my own staff make sure we go in because it is our chance to show we are Manchester United. No matter the result, go in. I think that he is very concerned about his own c.v. He refers to it a lot, but you can't dispute the fact that he has done a good job over the past few weeks.'The fans have settled down a bit and left him alone. They have eased up on him a bit, and that has helped him to relax and start picking the right teams for the right games.'

Benitez interjected 'in England' midway through a question about Ferguson's track record for winning trophies, but was guarded about confirming he felt United had fallen short in Europe. 'I don't know,' he said.'I think it is a top side and a top manager, and that is it. We'll leave it there. 'When you are with a top side, and you have had more money than anyone for years, then you can keep winning and you can keep talking.'He doesn't (like me), he doesn't, but it depends on the moment. 'You have to do what you have to do for your team. At the time (of their first bust-up), he knew that Liverpool were very close. That was the situation.

LOOKING FORWARD TO MOUR

Sir Alex Ferguson admitted he is relishing the prospect of locking horns with Jose Mourinho again but warned Chelsea’s manager-elect he may not be spared another blast from the infamous hairdryer.

Mourinho was on the receiving end after first crossing swords with Ferguson, when the Manchester United manager took exception to perceived playacting by Porto’s players and let their young coach know in no uncertain terms.

Ferguson has since developed an admiration and liking for Mourinho’s approach to management, but it won’t stop him taking the outgoing Real Madrid coach to task if he steps out of line.

‘Am I relishing Jose coming back to English football? Yes, absolutely,’ he said. ‘It will get me angry again! I think going back is a big attraction for him, if his time at Madrid is finished.’

'Now it is very different because they have won the title. But are they better than Manchester City? I am not sure. Are they better than Chelsea? I am not sure. But they have been more consistent than anyone, so they deserve it.' They will not share a glass of wine.'I don't drink wine,' said Benitez, but he offered this message for Ferguson: 'I wish him health for more years. If he wants to stay in charge that will be fine and I would like to be in a top side that can compete at the same level.'Benitez has five more games in charge and will then move on in search of a new job.Who knows when this rivalry will resume? Meanwhile, Ferguson is expected to undergo hip surgery which could stop him taking a seat in the dugout for the start of next season, reports said. He plans to have the operation after returning from a pre-season tour of the Far East at the end of July, leaving only 18 days to recover before their title defence begins on August 17.

2HqFdZt.jpg

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

274368_thumb.jpg

Hip operation could force Sir Alex Ferguson to miss start of next season
The Manchester United boss will undergo his surgery after a summer tour of Thailand, Hong Kong and Australia and may have to hand over control for the Community Shield

249139_thumb.jpg

Podolski is Arsenal's best finisher, says Wenger
The Gunners boss believes that the Germany international could score more goals if he played as a centre-forward, a position in which he has only been deployed twice this season

273976_thumb.jpg

Pochettino: Bale is just like Messi
The Southampton boss praises the academy graduate, explaining how highly he rates the Tottenham star after a sensational season that has seen him sweep the end-of-term awards

264724_thumb.jpg

Merseyside derby so special for Carragher - Rodgers
The Liverpool boss praises the Reds legend, who is set to play against Everton for the last time before retiring at the end of the season after 16 years' service to the club

276835_thumb.jpg

Benitez questions Fergie's European record
Chelsea's interim boss considers that the serial Premier League winner should have picked up more Champions League titles for Manchester United during his Old Trafford reign

274001_thumb.jpg

Mancini still unsure over Manchester City future
The club have reportedly held meetings with Manuel Pellegrini and the Italian admits that he has not yet been given assurances that he will remain in charge for next season

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Former Chelsea and Barca star Deco in hot water as positive test for banned substance is confirmed

By JOHN DRAYTON PUBLISHED: 09:34 GMT, 4 May 2013 | UPDATED: 10:26 GMT, 4 May 2013

Former Chelsea and Portugal playmaker Deco has had his positive test for a banned diuretic confirmed after his 'B' sample was returned today. The 35-year-old Fluminense player now faces an automatic 30-day ban although he plans to fight against a suspension, claiming the positive test is the result of a contaminated vitamin supplement. Deco was tested after Fluminense's 2-0 win over Boavista on March 30, and his sample contained traces of furosemide, a diuretic which can be used to mask other substances. In a statement on their website, Fluminense said the player had hired his own legal team to represent him in the case while the club were also retaining their own lawyers.

article-2319343-19921BE6000005DC-775_634x467.jpg

Hot water: Fluminense midfielder Deco tested positive for a banned diuretic but claims contaminated vitamins are to blame

article-2319343-095BA771000005DC-159_634x525.jpg

In the mix: Deco (left) spent two years at Chelsea before leaving for Brazil
\