• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║║║║ Barclays Premier League Season 2012-13 ║║║║║

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

EXCLUSIVE: QPR scrap awards night to avoid fan backlash after horror season

By SAMI MOKBEL PUBLISHED: 21:45 GMT, 26 April 2013 | UPDATED: 21:45 GMT, 26 April 2013

Queens Park Rangers have cancelled their end-of-season awards party for fear of a fans’ backlash.The news emerged as co-owner Tony Fernandes prepared to fly to England for talks with the club’s hierarchy next week. Rangers supporters are frustrated that the club’s lavish spending on wages has failed to head off a virtually certain drop into the Championship — and management have scrapped their planned dinner to avoid potentially embarrassing episodes.

article-2315465-19669B8E000005DC-633_634x394.jpg

Shambles: Queens Park Rangers have endured a difficult campaign that seems destined to end in relegation

article-2315465-19729F3C000005DC-182_634x416.jpg

Going down: Harry Redknapp has not been able to save QPR from the drop

At the end of the 2010-11 season, a brawl marred West Ham’s player awards dinner, which took place 24 hours after their relegation into the Championship was confirmed. Instead, the QPR player awards will be handed out before the final game at Loftus Road, against Newcastle on May 12.Fernandes is due in London next week as Rangers prepare for life in the Championship. He is expected to meet manager Harry Redknapp and other officials to begin work on a plan of action this summer. A number of the club’s top earners — including Loic Remy, Chris Samba and Julio Cesar — are expected to leave. But Redknapp says he still has the hunger to manage Rangers if, as expected, they are relegated.

The 66-year-old believes his side can pass their way out of the Championship next season, but said the squad will need an overhaul during the summer, with ‘characters’ brought in to strengthen his team.
Redknapp stressed that Joey Barton, who is on loan at Marseille, would be welcome back and said he would target experienced players. The former Spurs boss had success with Teddy Sheringham and Paul Merson, whom he signed for Portsmouth in the twilight of their careers.The manager said: ‘You can play football to get out of the Championship but it will be very difficult to come straight back up. It’s full of quality and tradition and big, big clubs.

article-2315465-194B3186000005DC-857_634x438.jpg

Welcome: Redknapp said that Joey Barton can come back and play for the club

‘I need characters that are up for playing Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday, but there have got to be some players going out first. I am ready for the challenge. I like football. I haven’t exactly got a hard life. I’m not tired of it at all.’Redknapp also revealed that Bobby Zamora, who is suspended for tomorrow’s trip to Reading after his red card against Wigan, needs a hip operation but must weigh up the benefits of surgery as he would be out for 10 months.

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Netherlands legends play charity match in honour of murdered linesman

By Frank Tigani
Apr 26, 2013 11:28:00 PM

275353hp2.jpg

Dennis Bergkamp and Ronald Koeman took part in the exhibition game with SC Buitenboys to raise funds for the family of Richard Nieuwenhuizen, who was killed in December

Netherlands legends including Dennis Bergkamp, Ronald Koeman and Edwin van der Sar took part in a charity match on Friday to honour Richard Nieuwenhuizen, a linesman who was tragically beaten to death in December.

Nieuwenhuizen was officiating his son's match for SC Buitenboys in December when he was attacked by three players from visiting team Nieuw Sloten. He collapsed and died later the same evening following his injuries.

The likes of Koeman, Bergkamp, Pierre van Hooijdonk, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Ronald de Boer and Edwin van der Sar formed the team that took on and defeated Buitenboys 8-1 on Friday night in front of 1600 spectators, with revenues from all ticket sales and advertising boards amounting to a total of €55,536 to be paid to Nieuwenhuizen's family.

Speaking before kick-off, Buitenboys president Marcel Oost told TV station RTL: "It is a good thing this match takes place. We have to keep going, it cannot end here. Luckily, there is now more attention being focused on amateur football."

Van Hooijdonk, meanwhile, added: "It would be more effective in making people think" while Frank de Boer simply stated: "Without respect, there is no football."

"Football loving Netherlanders really put their heart into this," said Koeman to NUSport afterwards. "It's typical for our country. It didn't take me long to say 'yes' to this. It's great I was able to have a contribution."

Former Barcelona star Van Bronckhorst was happy to see the event take place, stressing that problems concerning violence in the game must contnue to be tackled.

"It is a good feeling to be here," he said. "But I do not think this problem will disappear quickly. It is still in the newspapers. But that does not mean you should not take action."

Three youngsters were charged with manslaughter following the incident at the end of last year.

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cisse's mansion raided in £200k gem heist, forcing wife to get guard dog for protection

By GERARD BRAND PUBLISHED: 07:45 GMT, 26 April 2013 | UPDATED: 12:08 GMT, 26 April 2013

The wife of former Liverpool star Djibril Cisse yesterday took to twitter to tell of her horror after her Cheshire home had £200,000 worth of possessions stolen. Jude Cisse, 36, and her three youngest sons, all under the age of seven, were thought to have been out of the house when the raid occurred at the £2million home according to The Sun.

article-2315096-09F9A02A000005DC-30_306x423.jpg

Vulnerable: Jude Cisse (right) told of her horror that left her children frightened

article-2315096-128920B0000005DC-985_306x423.jpg

Out: Cisse, currently playing in Qatar is yet to comment on his twitter about the incident

The Mum-of-four, who is estranged from the French international, tweeted: 'Seriously sick... hope they rot in hell, my boys minds are working overtime & they are inferior & don't want 2 go 2 bed!!'

article-2315096-01D6090300000514-481_306x356.jpg

Out and about: Cisse is now on loan in Qatar from QPR after being signed by Mark Hughes last January

'My priority is the welfare of my family & as its caused great distress 2 my children I'm appealing in the hope that raising awareness of the incident will help police inquiries & prevent this from happening again.'Jude then posted a picture of a guard dog, saying: 'Meet Pablo, about time I introduced a new male 2 the family. Feel safer, less vulnerable! Wouldn't want 2 get on the wrong side of him.'She then posted to say that a Rolex Daytona Leopard, among other watches and jewelry, were taken.

Three suspects were remanded in custody by Chester magistrates on Wednesday, with Cisse, who is still on the books at QPR, on loan at Al-Ghafara in Qatar since January.Former Leeds and Liverpool winger Harry Kewell also joined the Qatari club on a short-term deal in April. Cisse and his wife Jude became Lord and Lady Frodsham upon purchasing the mansion in 2005.

article-2315096-166A18D9000005DC-703_634x363.jpg

Estranged: The pair were thought to have divorced in October of last year

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pay the price for failure: Martinez faces wage cut if Wigan are relegated

By JOHN EDWARDS PUBLISHED: 21:30 GMT, 26 April 2013 | UPDATED: 21:30 GMT, 26 April 2013

Roberto Martinez will face the same financial penalty as his players, if Wigan are relegated.The Wigan manager has been earning around £2million a year since rejecting an approach from Aston Villa and signing a three-year deal with bonuses.The contract also contains a clause guarding against relegation, however, and Martinez and his players will be hit in the pocket if they fail to pull off another great escape.

article-2315430-1977350A000005DC-401_634x465.jpg

Pay cut: Roberto Martinez faces a salary reduction if he takes Wigan down

Speaking ahead of their home game with Tottenham, Martinez reflected on the personal cost of failing to preserve their top-flight status.‘There are relegation clauses in every contract at this club,’ he said. ‘It is something we have to have. We haven’t been relegated so far, so they haven’t kicked in yet, and I’m confident they won’t this time.‘I have one as well. You have to have this sort of financial plan in place. If you drop your status, you are dropping your budget, so everyone should be affected. ‘But we won’t go down, I am convinced. What’s going to happen is we will stay up and get some bonuses by winning the FA Cup!’

article-2315430-195AE703000005DC-62_634x450.jpg

Exit: Franco Di Santo's contract runs out in the summer and he could leave the club

Martinez also defended the policy of only awarding short-term deals, despite the chance of losing Franco Di Santo on a free transfer this summer.‘It is part of the modern game,’ he said. ‘You need to be prepared to replace outgoing players, and in that respect, our recruitment work is huge.’

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool striker Luis Suárez is wanted by Bayern Munich

Bayern Munich are expected to make a move for Liverpool’s Luis Suárez with the Germans increasingly resigned to missing out on Robert Lewandowski to Manchester United.

Luis_2548429b.jpg

Wanted: Liverpool striker Luis Suárez celebrates his last-gasp goal against Chelsea Photo: AFP

By Mark Ogden and Jason Burt
11:00PM BST 27 Apr 2013

United are confident that they are now favourites to sign Lewandowski, a long-term target, who scored four goals in Borussia Dortmund’s 4-1 Champions League semi-final first leg victory over Real Madrid.

If Lewandowski, 24, is signed it will raise questions over where Wayne Rooney fits into Sir Alex Ferguson’s plans although the United manager has already stated that he intends to offer the striker, who has two years left on his current contract, a new deal.

That resolve may be tested over the summer especially as United are not likely to offer Rooney, 27, the same terms as he signed with his last deal and if Lewandowski arrives he will expect to be first-choice alongside Robin van Persie.

When asked whether he could find room for Lewandowski, whose contract expires in June 2014, in his team, Ferguson said: “Have I got room for him? I can find room for anybody.”

Ferguson added that he did not think, in the wake of the £32 million transfer of Mario Götze, that Dortmund would also sell Lewandowski to Bayern.

“Dortmund fans are not going to be happy and I don’t think they will sell Lewandowski to Bayern Munich,” Ferguson said. “I think they’ll let his contract run out, or sell him somewhere else.”

Bayern are now planning to formalise efforts to tempt Suárez away from Anfield.

Liverpool have insisted that the 26-year-old Uruguayan will not leave the club this summer, despite him being hit with a 10-game suspension for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic.

While Suárez has told team-mates that La Liga, rather than the Bundesliga, is his preferred destination should he leave Liverpool, the impending arrival of Pep Guardiola as Bayern coach could prove decisive.

Guardiola has made no secret of his admiration of Suárez, who is represented by Pere Guardiola, the former Barcelona coach’s brother.

Manchester City also retain an interest in Suárez, but the player’s reputation could trouble the club’s image-conscious Abu Dhabi ownership.

Juventus are also monitoring his situation.

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew fighting to keep his job following Liverpool thrashing at St James' Park

Alan Pardew is battling to save his job at Newcastle United following a humiliating 6-0 defeat at home to a Liverpool team without the suspended Luis Suárez.

Alan_Pardew_2548434b.jpg

Under pressure: Alan Pardew, the Newcastle United manager, believes his side can remain their Premier League status despite Saturday's setback Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Luke Edwards, St James’ Park
9:58PM BST 27 Apr 2013

Pardew on Saturday night insisted that he still believes he can save Newcastle from relegation, but admitted this was an “awful” performance. Furious home fans turned on both him and his team following a result which leaves them hovering alarmingly just two places above the Premier League relegation zone. It was the club’s worst home defeat since 1925.

Pardew had demanded his players produce a performance to atone for their last match at home, a 3-0 defeat by local rivals Sunderland.

Instead, his side capitulated against a Liverpool team for whom the build-up to the match had been completely overshadowed by the punishment handed down to Suárez for biting Branislav Ivanovic.

“We need a win from one of our two remaining away games,” said Pardew. “You can’t come off a defeat like that and the manner of it and not be worried. I’m not going to criticise the players individually. Collectively we fell short.”

Asked about the way his team capitulated he continued: “When you’re not playing well and 3-0 down, it was a lot for some of the inexperienced players to cope with. I believe I can get enough out of this team to keep them up and that process starts on Monday. I will carry on and fight through this. We haven’t suddenly became a bad coaching staff.”

Pardew is unlikely to leave Tyneside before the end of the season but even if he succeeds in leading Newcastle to safety – they currently hold a five-point cushion over Wigan – the impact of the losses against Sunderland and Liverpool is likely to see Newcastle’s owners review his position in the summer.

For Liverpool, the victory was an emphatic end to a turbulent week. Daniel Sturridge started in place of Suárez and scored twice, as did former Sunderland midfielder Jordan Henderson; Daniel Agger and Fabio Borini scored the other goals while Newcastle had Mathieu Debuchy sent off for two yellow cards.

It could have been worse for Newcastle but for Wigan being held to a 2-2 draw by Tottenham.

Elsewhere, a mob of Wolves fans invaded the Molineux pitch and attacked club stewards and the home dugout after defeat by Burnley left them on the brink of relegation to League One.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tottenham's Gareth Bale wins PFA player of year award for second time

• Winger wins main award and young player of year award
• Bale beats off challenge of Van Persie and Suárez

Gareth-Bale-008.jpg

The Guardian, Monday 29 April 2013

Gareth Bale is only the third player to win the PFA Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year awards in the same year. Photograph: Alex Morton/Action Images

Tottenham's Gareth Bale has been named the Professional Football Association's player and young player of the year for 2012-13, becoming only the third person to clinch the double accolade in the same season.

Bale has enjoyed another fine campaign for Spurs, scoring 19 times in the Premier League and 14 goals in 17 matches since the turn of the year. The Welshman follows Andy Gray and Cristiano Ronaldo in winning both awards in the same year.

Bale secures the player of the year award for the second time, becoming only the fifth player to do so after Mark Hughes, Alan Shearer, Thierry Henry and Ronaldo, having been voted in by his fellow peers.

The 23-year-old, who also won in 2011, thanked the Tottenham manager, André Villas-Boas, and admitted he was "extremely proud". "It's a massive honour. To be voted by your peers is one of the biggest things in the game. It's great to win it and I am delighted," he said.

"When you look at the list, there are some massive names on it but I couldn't have done it without the team. They have been fantastic this year and so has the manager. The other nominees have been unbelievable, they have been outstanding for their clubs and it's a massive moment to win, especially as it's both awards and it's something that I'm extremely proud of. The biggest thing is playing for your team and going well. If you do well, then these awards come along. I have been shooting a lot more and I have been coming inside a lot more too. I have a few less assists this year but I am in more scoring positions these days and that has obviously helped my scoring tally as we have seen this season."

Bale, who has been linked with a move away from Tottenham this summer, was shortlisted for the award along with Robin van Persie, Luis Suárez, Eden Hazard, Juan Mata and Michael Carrick. Suárez came second and Van Persie third. Bale beat Hazard, Jack Wilshere, Danny Welbeck, Romelu Lukaku and Christian Benteke to the young player of the year award.

Bale also made the PFA team of the year, which included four players from Manchester United, the Premier League champions. His Tottenham team-mate Jan Vertonghen was named in defence alongside Rio Ferdinand, Leighton Baines and Pablo Zabaleta, with David de Gea as goalkeeper. Van Persie and Suárez were selected in attack, with Carrick, Hazard and Mata in midfield.

On his favourite moments this season, Bale said: "There are a few. The one against Norwich was one of my favourites, the West Ham one. Those two are my favourites from this season."

The PFA chief executive, Gordon Taylor, said Bale was a good role model for youngsters which could not be said for Suárez, who was last week banned for 10 games by the Football Association for biting an opponent.

"Everyone knows Suárez is a great footballer, I just wish at times he could fall in to line because footballers are role models and Gareth and Robin van Persie are really good examples for the younger generation," said Taylor.

"Gareth has had a tremendous season, he has had the same impact on Welsh football as Ryan Giggs did. He is part of the Southampton success story."Kim Little, the Arsenal Ladies and Scotland midfielder, won the inaugural Women's Award. Next year will be the first that women will be allowed to join the organisation.

She said: "It is a great night for me. For various years I have watched this event on television so to come here and win the first award is fantastic."

Eric Harrison, the former Manchester United youth team coach who was responsible for bringing through the club's famous crop of players during the 1990s, received the PFA's merit award.

Premier League Team of the Year: David De Gea (Manchester United); Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City), Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Leighton Baines (Everton); Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Juan Mata (Chelsea), Gareth Bale (Tottenham), Eden Hazard (Chelsea); Luis Suárez (Liverpool), Robin van Persie (Manchester United).

Championship Team of the Year: Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester); Kieran Trippier (Burnley), Wes Morgan (Leicester), Mark Hudson (Cardiff), Wayne Bridge (Brighton); Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace), Thomas Ince (Blackpool), Peter Whittingham (Cardiff), Yannick Bolasie (Crystal Palace); Glenn Murray (Crystal Palace), Matej Vydra (Watford).

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

274355_thumb.jpg

Wenger: Manchester United would have won the title without Van Persie
The Arsenal manager asserts that the Red Devils would have reclaimed the Premier League without their top scorer, while emphasising the importance of a top-four finish

275297_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson believes Lewandowski move to Manchester United is still possible
The Red Devils' boss hints that a transfer to Old Trafford could happen for the Dortmund star, feeling it unlikely that BVB will allow him to follow Mario Gotze to Bayern Munich

274029_thumb.jpg

Hazard wants 'revenge' against Swansea after Capital One Cup disappointment
The Belgian attacking midfielder wants to erase the ignominious memories of Chelsea's cup exit with a Premier League win as he looks toward the Champions League

275476_thumb.jpg

Hoddle: Bale will stay at Tottenham this summer
The former England manager believes that the Welshman should and, indeed, will remain at his former club, while also praising the winger's "inspired" contribution this season

253935_thumb.jpg

Manchester City assistant Platt plays down Hart injury concerns
Roberto Mancini's right-hand man assures fans that the back spasm suffered by the goalkeeper during their 2-1 win over West Ham looks likely to be "OK on Monday"

270179_thumb.jpg

Newcastle win proves Liverpool are no one-man team, says Rodgers
The Reds boss emphasises the importance of the collective after thrashing the Magpies 6-0 without Luis Suarez after a "traumatic week", praising Philippe Coutinho particularly

246213_thumb.jpg

Zabaleta apologises for reaction to late O'Brien tackle
The Argentine defender took exception to the Hammers defender's challenge in the second half, but was keen to make amends straight after his side's 2-1 win on Saturday

264153_thumb.jpg

Skrtel 'one of the best centre-backs in the league' - Enrique
The former Newcastle defender has backed his Liverpool team-mate for an immediate return to form, believing that he has the ability to regain his place in Brendan Rodgers' side

275447_thumb.jpg

Platt pleased with Manchester City response to title failure
City beat West Ham 2-1 at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday, while Sam Allardyce re-iterated his desire to conclude a permanent move for Hammers goalscorer Andy Carroll

207040_thumb.jpg

Manchester City win rubber stamps Wigan's Europa League qualification
City's 2-1 win over West Ham means they can finish no lower than fifth in the Premier League, enabling the Latics to qualify for Europe through their FA Cup run

212849_thumb.jpg

Dalglish lashes out at FA's 'inherently unfair' treatment of Suarez
The former player and manager at Anfield has blasted the Football Association for their treatment of the Reds' Uruguayan striker, believing he did not receive a fair hearing

274000_thumb.jpg

Azpilicueta: Benitez has given Chelsea more tactical rigour
The Blues defender has praised interim boss Rafael Benitez, stressing that he has helped the team improve tactically since the departure of Roberto Di Matteo

232499_thumb.jpg

'Fletcher won't play for Manchester United again'
Former Old Trafford player Paddy Crerand believes the 29-year-old Scotland midfielder has played his last game for the Premier League champions following illness and injury

274355_thumb.jpg

'We were twice a loser' - Wenger on Van Persie's Manchester United move
The Arsenal manager believes the north London club were forced to allow the Netherlands star to leave last summer because of the risk of losing him on a free transfer

272934_thumb.jpg

Terry relaxed over Chelsea future and could make England return
The Blues' skipper has revealed that he is not worried about the long term at the London club, with his current deal expiring at the end of next season

275292_thumb.jpg

Ferguson eyes two summer signings
The Manchester United boss has revealed the Premier League champions will be looking to add new players to their title-winning squad when the transfer window opens in July

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

246213_thumb.jpg

Manchester City must win the FA Cup, insists Zabaleta
The Argentina international right-back says that Roberto Mancini's men have to overcome Wigan at Wembley to salvage a disappointing season

275881_thumb.jpg

Bale: No clue how I score free kicks!
The Spurs forward says that, while he spends hours on the training pitch practicing his set-pieces, he is never sure where the ball will end up after he has struck it

241641_thumb.jpg

'I believe in our players' - Arteta backs Arsenal to triumph in top-four race
The Gunners have played a game more than third- and fifth-placed Chelsea and Tottenham but the Spaniard believes that his squad will prevail

275844_thumb.jpg

Chelsea will thrive under end-of-season pressure, claims Lampard
The Blues midfielder is pleased that the stakes are high for his team's final four matches of the domestic season as they chase the top four

256301_thumb.jpg

Manchester City to launch ambitious €38m Reus raid
The Premier League club will make a formal double-your-money offer for the Dortmund star in the next 10 days, although the 23-year-old would rather stay in Germany

273748_thumb.jpg

Sunderland allowed complacency to creep in, admits Di Canio
The Black Cats boss demanded that his side show more desire after their "humiliation" at the hands of Aston Villa, who boosted their own survival hopes with a 6-1 victory

247409_thumb.jpg

The Premier League is the perfect league for me - QPR star Remy
The Frenchman is adamant he does not regret moving from title-chasing Marseille to the Rs despite their relegation, and believes England's top flight is ideal for him

262170_thumb.jpg

Tevez rules out summer return to Boca Juniors
Despite his avowed adoration for his former club in his native Argentina, the Manchester City striker has revealed he will not be seeking a move back this summer

275812_thumb.jpg

Van Persie was right to leave Arsenal, insists Evra
The Manchester United defender believes their Premier League title win means that his team-mate made the correct decision leaving the Emirates for Old Trafford

204733_thumb.jpg

Villas-Boas hoping Huddlestone stays at Tottenham
The Spurs boss has expressed his desire for the midfielder to remain at the club, despite the player admitting he wants to leave if he cannot secure a regular first team spot

270114_thumb.jpg

Rodgers warns Liverpool against placing high expectations on Coutinho
The Reds' manager believes too often young players suffer from the burden of expectation, but praises the Brazilian's impressive display in Saturday's 6-0 away win at Newcastle

112623_thumb.jpg

Liverpool in Anfield naming rights talks
Qatari based firm Ooredoo have been linked with a big-money sponsorship deal with the Reds that could see the stadium renamed as part of the agreement

273155_thumb.jpg

Wenger admits interest in Kondogbia
The Arsenal manager refused to rule out a move for the highly-regarded 20-year-old anchorman, who could fill a void left by the injured Abou Diaby

275298_thumb.jpg

Suarez booed at PFA awards
The 26-year-old forward's name was met with jeers on two occasions at the annual Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year awards on Sunday night

275742_thumb.jpg

Arsenal in pole position to clinch top-four place despite Manchester United setback
Of the three sides competing for the final two Champions League spots, the fixture list is kindest to Arsene Wenger's in-form team, while Spurs and Chelsea must face each other

275881_thumb.jpg

Golden boy Bale is a worthy PFA Player of the Year
The flying Welshman has produced the most thrilling, defining and decisive moments, and it is to this which his team-mates and many tormented opponents have responded

227834_thumb.jpg

Lescott: I may have to quit Manchester City
The 30-year-old defender says he may struggle to break into the England squad if they qualify for Brazil 2014 in his current situation

260215_thumb.jpg

Spurs forward Bale lifts second PFA Player of the Year Award
The 23-year-old forward joins Alan Shearer, Thierry Henry and Cristiano Ronaldo as the only men to lift the award twice in his career after his success in 2010/11

275422_thumb.jpg

Tottenham midfielder Bale named PFA Young Player of the Year
The 23-year-old forward picked up the award ahead of the likes of Eden Hazard and Christian Benteke after a superb season in which he scored 29 goals in all competitions

271778_thumb.jpg

Wenger dismisses Paris Saint-Germain reports
The 63-year-old, who has been tipped to replace Carlo Ancelotti, insists he will see out the remainder of his contract at Arsenal, which expires at the end of next season

275668_thumb.jpg

Barton brands relegated QPR team-mates 'maggots' & 'w*nkers'
The on-loan Marseille midfielder hit out at certain members of his parent club's squad after their relegation to the Championship following the 0-0 draw with Reading

274368_thumb.jpg

Ferguson rues Manchester United's missed chances after Arsenal draw
The 71-year-old felt his team had the better of the openings and should have won the game, while he was angered at the referee's decision to book five of his players

275736_thumb.jpg

Benitez praises Lampard after midfielder stars in Swansea win
The Chelsea veteran - who has yet to commit to the club beyond this season - proved the catalyst in the 2-0 victory and both managers hailed the substitute's influence

274001_thumb.jpg

'Records only matter when you win a trophy' - Mancini dismisses 48-game home-goal run
The Manchester City manager complained about his team's profligacy despite their equalling of a mark set in 1928 for consecutive matches in which they have scored on their own turf

269601_thumb.jpg

Barton wants to finish career at Marseille
QPR boss Harry Redknapp has suggested the midfielder would be part of his plans next season, but the 30-year-old wants to stay with the Ligue 1 side beyond his loan spell

273704_thumb.jpg

Mertesacker: It hurt to see Van Persie in a Manchester United shirt
The German international admits it’s been painful to watch his former team-mate fire his new club to the Premier League title this season, but still chose him as Player of the Year

271819_thumb.jpg

Carroll to tell Liverpool he wants to fight for his Anfield future
The England striker is set to deal a blow to West Ham's chances of completing a £10 million summer move for the on-loan Reds striker, who wants to prove himself on Merseyside

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

QPR chairman Fernandes disappointed by attitude of squad following relegation

By Stuart Watson
Apr 29, 2013 10:08:00 PM

141009hp2.jpg

After right-back Jose Bosingwa was spotted by TV cameras laughing in the aftermath of the Rs demotion, the owner has described such scenes as "the low point" of his tenure

QPR chairman Tony Fernandes has hit out at a section of the relegated side's squad, accusing them of not caring about their performances.

The west London club's demotion to the Championship was confirmed on Sunday following a 0-0 draw away at Reading, with right-back Jose Bosingwa spotted by TV cameras laughing after the final whistle.

Fernandes has backed manager Harry Redknapp heavily in the transfer market - with an estimated €24 million spent on Christopher Samba and Loic Remy alone - but the Malaysian businessman has spoken of his disappointment at the perceived attitude of certain squad members.

"We are two years wiser than when we arrived. We want players that want to play for us. Players that want to win. Players who get disappointed like I do when we lose," Fernandes told the club's official website.

"It’s heart-breaking for me when we lose. I don’t want to go out, I just want to stay at home. And I am someone who has dealt with success and dealt with disappointment. But there is nothing I have gone through that is as disappointing as losing a football game.

"I haven't said it throughout the season because it wasn’t right to be said, but it hurt me when I saw some of the players who didn’t feel the way I felt. And in fact, in their case, it should be worse because this is their job, it’s their life.

"It wasn’t a good feeling. It was probably the low point for me when I saw the reaction of some of the players. It has shocked me because it is something that is alien to me. If I am taking someone else’s money, then I am going to work bloody hard for that person."

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Howard Webb to referee Manchester United v Chelsea

By Ben Cullimore
Apr 29, 2013 10:56:00 PM

howard-webb

The 41-year-old has been appointed to officiate Sunday's Premier League clash, seven weeks after taking charge of the FA Cup quarter-final between the two sides

Howard Webb has been appointed as referee for the Premier League tie between Manchester United and Chelsea at Old Trafford on Sunday.

The 41-year-old, who took charge of the 2010 World Cup final, is no stranger to controversial games between the two English giants with both clubs vocal critics of decisions from the official during past encounters.

Former Liverpool player Ryan Babel infamously tweeted a mocked-up photo of Webb wearing a United shirt following a 1-0 defeat in January 2011, with the message: "And they call him one of the best referees? That's a joke."

Babel subsequently became the first footballer to be disciplined by the Football Association as a result of a social media post.

Webb also clashed with former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho following a disallowed Salomon Kalou's goal against Blackburn in September 2007, resulting in the Portuguese demanding an apology from the referee.

The last time Webb took charge of a game involving both United and Chelsea was March's FA Cup quarter-final, which ended 2-2.

Manchester United have won 13 and lost just one out of the 15 Premier League games that Webb has officiated at Old Trafford.

Webb has also been called up to officiate Tuesday's Champions League semi-final second leg between Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund at Santiago Bernabeu.

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fernandes lets rip at flops as QPR owner confirms Redknapp will stay at Loftus Road

By SAMI MOKBEL PUBLISHED: 16:45 GMT, 29 April 2013 | UPDATED: 21:32 GMT, 29 April 2013

Tony Fernandes launched a scathing attack on his highly paid Queens Park Rangers flops on Monday as he confirmed Harry Redknapp will remain as the club’s manager. Fernandes is ready to play hardball with his wantaway stars this summer as he looks to safeguard the club’s financial future.The airline tycoon ripped into a number of the handsomely paid players. Sportsmail revealed on Monday how QPR players and board members were livid with Jose Bosingwa after he was pictured laughing just moments after their relegation was confirmed by the 0-0 draw at Reading on Sunday.

article-2316688-1986E3AC000005DC-304_634x379.jpg

In it for the long haul: Harry Redknapp will stay at QPR despite their relegation from the Premier League

article-2316688-198712CE000005DC-713_306x423.jpg
article-2316688-1986EDB0000005DC-955_306x423.jpg

Fernandes said: ‘We want players who want to play for us. Players who want to win. Players who get disappointed like I do when we lose. It’s heart-breaking for me when we lose. I don’t want to go out, I just want to stay at home.‘I haven’t said it throughout the season because it wasn’t right to be said, but it hurt me when I saw some of the players who didn’t feel the way I felt.‘And in fact, in their case, it should be worse because this is their job, it’s their life. It was the low point when I saw the reaction of some of the players. It has shocked me because it is something that is alien to me. Whatever I have done as a job, whoever has hired me, I put in 150 per cent. It’s in my character. If I am taking someone else’s money, I am going to work bloody hard for that person.‘It’s an alien concept to me that someone takes someone’s salary, doesn’t put 100 per cent in, thinks, “Oh, we lost. No big deal. What club are we going to tonight?” It wasn’t right to say anything during the season, but I noticed everything and I’m a little bit wiser for it now.’In a statement, Fernandes added: 'We've got to move on and in a strange way I am looking forward to next season and trying to recover what we have lost.'

article-2316688-1986E2FE000005DC-328_634x568.jpg

Unhappy: QPR owner Tony Fernandes said he wants 'players who want to win'

article-0-1987607A000005DC-562_634x429.jpg

See you next year: QPR's relegation was confirmed, along with Reading's, this weekend

He continued: 'I’m a bit numb but when we drew with Wigan, that was the worst day. That and probably Aston Villa. They were the two lows. We should have been 4-0 up at Villa at half-time and we went in at 1-1. 'So by the time yesterday happened, I actually just wanted the season to be over so we can move on. So I am in that 'moving on' phase right now.' Fernandes’ blast will herald a summer of transition at Loftus Road, with a number of players expected to leave. Redknapp will be at the forefront of those changes after the club confirmed he has agreed to stay as manager after talks on Monday. A number of players have already instructed their agents to find them new clubs, while it is understood some will even ask the club to grant free transfers to smooth their paths towards the QPR exit door. But, as it stands, Fernandes is resolved to maximising the club’s assets and is determined not to be short-changed in the transfer market despite the need to slash the club’s wage bill.Fernandes insisted that Redknapp would not be forced to sell players he wants to keep. But there is a realisation that a number of top earners, such as Chris Samba, Loic Remy and Julio Cesar, will have to be sold.

article-2316688-033F963C0000044D-325_634x374.jpg

Been here before: Redknapp was last in the lower leagues when he led Southampton in 2005

article-2316688-029660440000044D-354_634x343.jpg

However, the likes of Bosingwa, Bobby Zamora, Esteban Granero and Shaun Wright-Phillips — who all earn between £60,000 and £70,000 a week — will be harder to shift.Paying players’ contracts up, or supplementing their salaries to ensure unwanted players leave ahead of next season, will be considered if they fail to find buyers. On Monday, Redknapp told Sky Sports News: 'The Championship is a tough division with a lot of good teams. It is a league full of clubs with great tradition and great stadiums and everybody wants to get into the Premier League.'But it's where we are and we need to get out of it. At the end of the day we weren't good enough. We've got lots of players and we have to make up our mind on who we want to keep and who to move on. You can't bring people in if you can't get rid of people.'There will be people who are difficult to shift because they haven't done very well. We need to bring in people who are good enough to get us promoted next season.'

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

EXCLUSIVE: Park wanted in the States as midfielder heads for Loftus Road exit door

By SAMI MOKBEL PUBLISHED: 22:34 GMT, 29 April 2013 | UPDATED: 05:06 GMT, 30 April 2013

Park Ji-sung is wanted by MLS chiefs to lead their attempts to break into the lucrative Asian market.The former Manchester United midfielder is expected to leave Queens Park Rangers this summer.

article-2316841-186A7830000005DC-944_634x396.jpg

Ready for departure: Park is expected to leave Loftus Road this summer

Rangers chiefs will consider selling Park, who earns £70,000-per-week, as they look to lower their wage bill. And the 32-year-old is set to be given an instant escape route out of Loftus Road, with a number of MLS clubs keen on the midfielder.

article-2316841-16D01AC6000005DC-523_634x415.jpg

Interest: Toronto FC manager Nelsen is keen to sign Park

Among those are Toronto FC, who are managed by former Rangers defender Ryan Nelsen. As well as Park's ability and experience, his superstar status in south-east Asia also appeals to the MLS as they look to expand the brand into the cash-rich Far East.

article-2316841-0B99BF3E00000578-696_634x384.jpg

South Korean star: Park moved from Manchester United to Queens Park Rangers last July

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool target Lisbon's Illori to replace retiring Carragher

By LEE BRYAN PUBLISHED: 21:57 GMT, 29 April 2013 | UPDATED: 22:05 GMT, 29 April 2013

Liverpool are stepping up interest in Sporting Lisbon defender Tiago Ilori. The pacy 20-year-old, who was born in London, has broken into Sporting's first team this year but was first targeted by Liverpool two years ago. He can play centre-back and full-back and the Portuguese want around £1.2million now that Liverpool have revived interest.

article-0-196B9BA5000005DC-880_468x327.jpg

Incoming? Sporting Kusvib's Tiago Ilori could be the long-term replacement for Jamie Carragher

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Premier League player's girlfriend 'sexually attacked by a man posing as her boyfriend while she slept at five-star hotel'

By ROB COOPER PUBLISHED: 10:59 GMT, 29 April 2013 | UPDATED: 15:07 GMT, 29 April 2013

A man posing as a Premier League footballer allegedly carried out a sex attack on the player's girlfriend as she slept in a hotel.The suspect apparently sneaked into the WAG's room at the £250-a-night Lowry hotel, in Salford, Greater Manchester, while she was in there alone. She had returned from a night out in Manchester early while her footballer boyfriend stayed out.

article-2316407-198953E8000005DC-116_634x407.jpg

Sex attack: The Premier League footballer's partner was sleeping at the £250-a-night Lowry Hotel in Salford when she was allegedly attacked

The alleged victim thought the person in the room was her partner as he was lying next to her when she woke up the next morning. She only later discovered that someone else must have been in the room during the night before he returned and called in police. Detectives arrested a 32-year-old hotel worker on suspicion of sexual assault but he was later released on bail while police continue to investigate.

article-2316407-198953EC000005DC-509_306x423.jpg

Star: The player who's girlfriend was allegedly attacked is an international who has played for a number of Premier League clubs

As part of their investigation, officers have seized CCTV footage and electronic records of when people entered the hotel room in Salford using the keycard. Neither the footballer or his girlfriend can be identified for legal reasons. However, the star has represented his country at international level and has played for a number of Premier League clubs, The Sun reported. A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police confirmed the alleged sex attack was under investigation.

'Police were called to the Lowry Hotel in Salford following reports a 32-year-old woman had been sexually assaulted.'A 32-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault. He has been bailed pending further enquiries. Enquiries are ongoing.'The Lowry Hotel is a favourite hangout for Premier League footballers and it is often used by away teams when they are playing Manchester United and City.

Manchester United star Wayne Rooney allegedly paid Helen Wood, 23, and Jennifer Thompson, 21, £1,200 to sleep with them at the hotel in 2010 while his wife was pregnant.
Married former England manager Steve McClaren had an affair with a woman who also had a fling with Sven Goran Eriksson after being introduced to her at the hotel. Father-of-three McClaren, 51, met Saima Ansari at the Lowry - the same hotel where Eriksson was first introduced to her.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

239427_thumb.jpg

I've learned from injuries - Jones
The Red Devils man has recovered from several spells on the sidelines to secure a Premier League medal and is intent on nailing down a starting spot at Old Trafford next term

274071_thumb.jpg

Ivanovic accepted Suarez apology
The Blues centre-back says that he was more bemused by the situation than angry but feels that the Liverpool forward's 10-match suspension is logical

271778_thumb.jpg

Garde: Wenger will continue with Arsenal
The former Gunners midfielder and current Lyon coach worked under the Frenchman for three seasons in north London and is certain that he will honour his current contract

227936_thumb.jpg

Carragher: If I could win one game every year it would be Everton
The Liverpool legend says that he thrives in the Merseyside derby atmosphere but even that was not enough to convince him to postpone his retirement plans

245531_thumb.jpg

Damiao move to England 'very likely'
The Brazil international has long been a target for the London side and club president Giovanni Luigi says that Spurs are in pole position to sign him, ruling out a move to Napoli

275881_thumb.jpg

Zidane: Bale price tag won't deter bidders
The Real Madrid director of football believes that suitors will be willing to pay £60 million for the Welshman, whom he feels can make the difference between glory and failure

274043_thumb.jpg

'He will come back strongly' - Lucas Leiva relishing Suarez return
The midfielder says that the Reds are supporting the Uruguayan in the aftermath of his 10-match ban and hopes that the punishment will not force the striker away from the club

246141_thumb.jpg

Rodgers looking for early summer deals to bolster Liverpool squad
The Reds are set to fall short of securing European football for next season, so the manager wants to recruit quickly in the transfer market to give the squad time to settle

234304_thumb.jpg

Mata praises 'amazing' Bale following double PFA award success
The Chelsea star missed out to the Wales international - who was also named Young Player of the Year - for the main award, but is confident of bettering Spurs in the top-four race

230738_thumb.jpg

Azpilicueta eyes strong finish to Chelsea season
Despite failing in the Champions League and Premier League title race, the Blues are in pole position for a third-place finish and are favourites to win the Europa League

271767_thumb.jpg

Enrique hoping to emulate Carragher’s Liverpool success
The 27-year-old has revealed that one of the reasons he decided to join the club from Newcastle was because of the veteran defender, who is set to retire at the end of the season

266529_thumb.jpg

Derby victory key to Liverpool finishing above Everton, says Lucas
Despite beating Newcastle 6-0, the Reds midfielder feels there are still areas they could improve and is keen for them to beat the Toffees on Sunday and finish in the top six

225178_thumb.jpg

Cisse: Marseille return would be a dream
The QPR attacker, currently on loan at Al-Gharafa in Qatar, has expressed a desire to return to Ligue 1 and hinted at a possible future move to the US

270567_thumb.jpg

Jones craving goals at Manchester United
The versatile 21-year-old says he wants to make himself a more complete player by taking more opportunities after missing two good chances against Arsenal on Sunday

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United's summer targets identified, reveals Ferguson

By Husmukh Kerai
Apr 30, 2013 12:36:00 PM

274365hp2.jpg

The Red Devils' boss says he has already began looking at potential signings over the last three or four months as he aims to enhance his side ahead of next season's campaign

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says he has already identified his summer transfer targets, and has begun work on strengthening his squad ahead of next season.

The 71-year-old believes Manchester United have a solid foundation to their squad but says the club will again try to be competitive in the transfer market after landing Robin van Persie and Shinji Kagawa last summer.

The Scot wants to compliment his young talent, who will mature over the next few years, with additional quality to help United retain their title against challenges from big spending Manchester City and Chelsea.

"Hopefully the players we bring into the club in the next year or so will be of the quality we need," Sir Alex told the club's official magazine.

"We're competitive in the market - we're not Chelsea or Manchester City in terms of money but we're competitive.

"We've been doing a bit of work on that over the last three or four months, targeting who the players are that we feel could enhance us, make us better or help us maintain the level we're at.

"You have to look at the structure of the club at present, in terms of the number of first-team players we have at 23 or under.

"David De Gea, Rafael, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Alex Buttner, Nick Powell, Tom Cleverley and Danny Welbeck. Shinji Kagawa and Chicharito are 24. Jonny Evans is 25 and Wayne Rooney is hitting his peak at 27.

"Older players like Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Rio Ferdinand may be coming towards the end of their careers, but these younger players are the foundation for the next five or six years, irrespective of the players breaking through, like Adnan Januzaj, the Belgian boy, who's really looking very good."

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No superstars, no ambition, no hope of change! Usmanov takes aim at Arsenal owner Kroenke

By DAVID KENTPUBLISHED: 08:05 GMT, 1 May 2013 | UPDATED: 09:56 GMT, 1 May 2013

Arsenal's civil war shows no sign of calming after Alisher Usmanov took another swipe at rival Stan Kroenke today. The Russian, who has an estimated fortune of £13.3billion, is desperate to increase his stake in the club, which currently stands at around 30 per cent. Usmanov's route to the powerbase at Emirates Stadium is blocked, however, by American businessman Kroneke, who he has accused of lacking the necessary ambition to keep fans happy.

article-2317554-1969F1CD000005DC-499_306x423.jpg
article-2317554-17C0C8D9000005DC-190_306x423.jpg

Civil war: Alisher Usmanov has taken another swipe at his rival Stan Kroenke over the direction of Arsenal

With the club still fighting for their place in next season's Champions League, Usmanov has revealed he will assess his position by the end of the campaign, though is adamant he won't walk away. Speaking in his homeland, the 59-year-old criticised the lack of the 'superstars' left in Arsene Wenger's team and suggested Kroenke 'doesn't show any wish to create a winning team' and 'would probably be happy' with another fourth-placed finish. He added: 'In our understanding, Kroenke has no plans to sell his stake, but we also won’t sell out, as we are the team’s fans.'Kroenke pushed through his £430million-plus takeover in April 2011, and now holds 66.83 per cent of the club to give him overall control. The latest attack comes after Usmanov claimed in January manager Arsene Wenger of 'building a team' for his rivals. Robin van Persie, Samir Nasri and Ashley Cole are among just some of the high-profile stars to have joined Arsenal's Barclays Premier League challengers during Wenger's tenure. Van Persie quit the Emirates last summer to join Manchester United in a £24m deal.Previously Nasri joined Manchester City, as did Gael Clichy, and Cole opted to swap Arsenal for Chelsea in 2006.

article-2317554-03C1149400000514-619_634x374.jpg

Struggles: Arsenal have endured another topsy-turvy season and are still not guaranteed a top-four place

article-2317554-19801EC9000005DC-930_634x373.jpg

Grounded? Usmanov claims Arsenal lack the ambition to challenge properly for honours

Speaking in January this year, Usmanov said: 'I like many footballers, and I'm in contact with some of them. Perhaps my favourite of the last 10, 15 years is Thierry Henry. He's pushing me to buy all of Arsenal's shares, but I cannot predict the future. 'The greatest achievement of Arsene Wenger is to have created two teams: the one that now plays for our rivals and the one that is trying to be among the best in the Premier League. 'That's why I say it's not enough to merely flatter the coach but to give him the possibility to buy the best players, superstars. But not just stars but those chosen by Wenger. 'It's unthinkable that the shareholders get well-paid while, for small clauses in contracts, we lose key players, symbols like Robin van Persie, Mathieu Flamini or Patrick Vieira. We should have increased their salaries when they started to be courted, started to look elsewhere. I don't know why we didn't propose that to them.'

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Abramovich bought Chelsea in 10 minutes, says ex-CEO Trevor Birch

By Shane Farrington
Apr 30, 2013 4:43:00 PM

187249hp2.jpg

The Blues' former chief executive believes the Russian billionaire's purchase of the the west London club represents one of "the biggest changes" in English football

Chelsea’s former chief executive Trevor Birch has revealed that the deal for Roman Abramovich to buy the club back in 2003 only took 10 minutes.

As well as detailing the super-quick time it took for the Russian to take over, Birch also spoke of how the Blues spent over €160 million on new players in the first six weeks after Abramovich’s arrival.

He told the London Evening Standard: "Abramovich didn’t speak English [when the pair first met]. There was an interpreter. I wasn’t totally convinced he was the real thing. I had googled him but he just didn’t appear anywhere.

"Nobody knew anything about him. So I wasn’t sure whether it was a scene from Candid Camera and that suddenly Jeremy Beadle was going to jump out at me.

"But we did the deal in 10 minutes, nothing like that had ever happened. I don’t think people appreciated what a game changer it was. I suggested he spent £20m [€23m] on players. He spent £140m [€165m] in six weeks, the biggest change I’ve seen in English football."

Birch had hoped to advice Abramovich on the right approach to take, and advocated steady investment and lower ticket prices, but his ideas were ignored and he soon departed the club.

He continued: "I said to [Abramovich]: 'Look, you're living every supporter's dream. Why not allow them to share in that dream and therefore, at one fell swoop, just reduce the season-ticket prices? So it announces your arrival with a bang and supporters from every other club would wish they had an owner like you.’

"What I thought Chelsea should try was to become everybody’s favourite second team. There are certain ways that you need to act to gain that kind of affection from people. I was voted down. They said, 'We're going to run it as a business, break even and be the biggest club.'

"How ironic given the hundreds of millions in losses. The stance he took rubbed the neutrals up the wrong way.