• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

“We must give the PAP 48 %, wake them up!”

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
April 05, 2011 Tuesday, 06:23 AM

Chua Mui Hoong goes on a Workers' Party walkabout in Nee Soon GRC and talks to a supporter

I’VE been covering politics for 20 years, chalking up dozens of walkabouts by ministers, MPs and would-be MPs.

Yesterday, I wasn’t assigned to cover the Workers’ Party walkabout (that honour went to my colleague Zakir Hussain) but I gave up a Sunday morning anyway to trail behind the WP morning tour of Chong Pang market in Nee Soon GRC.

I like to linger on, after the party entourage has left, to talk to residents about their encounter with the MP or candidate.

One man I targeted was a man in his 50s, with a tanned, weather-beaten face. He was leaning on a rail, cradling in his arms a dog on a leash, as the WP group of about 30 walked past. He pumped a fist in the air and shouted in Mandarin: “Gong ren dang! Jia you!” (Workers’ Party! Keep it up!)

The WP team led by secretary-general Low Thia Khiang came by to shake hands. They left. I stayed, introduced myself as a reporter, and we talked.

Q: Why do you support the opposition?
“I support the WP. They are a responsible, mature party. I listen to them in Parliament. Low Thia Khiang and that Lin Rui Lian (Sylvia Lim) , they don’t talk nonsense.
“Unlike the Singapore Democratic Party. Chee Soon Juan was standing here (pointing to the a small square in front of the block) talking in the last election and I didn’t even bother. The WP is different, they talk sense.”
Q: Why do you support the opposition in Parliament?
“We must give the PAP 48, 49 per cent in some GRC, wake them up!
“The prices of things are rising so fast. One cup of coffee here (points to coffeeshop) has gone up by 20 cents! MRT fares are so high. You top up with $10, you take a trip out and back, and it’s gone!”
Q: Where do you work?
“I work in the neighbourhood, just odd jobs. I tried to get a job. Employers tell me - you are too old, we want someone younger. I tell them - okay, I ask my mother to give birth to another son and in 20 years’ time he can work for you, okay?
“We older ones in our 50s, life is hard.”
Q: Life can’t be that hard for you, you can afford to keep a dog that looks very well cared for.
“This is my daughter’s dog.”
Q: You have children?
“Four, all grown up. So I’m okay, but a lot of people in their 50s, my age group, they are not. The People’s Action Party doesn’t take care of Singaporeans any more. You walk around, so many foreigners are doing our jobs. When Minister Mentor Lee (Kuan Yew) was Prime Minister, all these wouldn’t have happened.”
Q: This is a GRC. If the opposition wins, it means one less minister.
“So? There are so many ministers, what is one less? Don’t tell me the government can’t function with one less minister?”
Q: Unless it is the Prime Minister?
“There are three Prime Ministers, isn’t there? PM and two deputy Prime Ministers.”
Q: I would like to write about what you said, is that alright?
“Yes, and please write the correct things. Don’t write and say the PAP is very good. Write what I said, speak the truth!”
Q: You told me your surname just now. Are you okay if I write it down?
“No, no, no need. But write the truth about what I said!”

I didn’t tape the conversation. I only started taking down notes after that chat ended. The above is the gist of what we spoke about, based on my recollection and my skeletal notes as I walked away from him and joined the rest of the WP walkabout.
It is an imperfect record. It is only one conversation, with one voter. But if he were speaking the truth, this conversation gives an insight into the thinking of one person in his 50s who is finding it hard to get a steady job and is prepared to support the opposition. He may or may not represent others in this demographic group. But his views ought to provide food for thought for those who want to seek his vote.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very obvious from the way she skewed her questions to try to highlight the "good" of PAP, despite the old man being critical about it.