• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Persie thanks 'classy' Woodward but has no words for Van Gaal

robin-van-persie-presentation-fenerbahce-07142015_xy4wxmvjaznl19g0002e3wpgy.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Jul 15, 2015 00:51:00

The 31-year-old made a point of crediting his former Manchester United team-mates and even the executive vice chairman but stopped short of mentioning his old manager

Robin van Persie failed to acknowledge Louis van Gaal as he paid tribute to Manchester United at his Fenerbahce unveiling.

The Netherlands international was greeted by 18,000 Fener fans at Sukru Saracoglu Stadium on Tuesday as he finalised a €6.7 million move from United after a remarkably swift fall from prominence at Old Trafford.

Van Persie's 26 Premier League goals in his debut campaign with the Red Devils secured a farewell title for Sir Alex Ferguson in 2012-13, but fitness problems hampered his progress thereafter.

He failed to establish himself as a key first-team player under former national team boss Van Gaal and was subsequently told he would be allowed to leave the club.

And at his unveiling in Istanbul, the 31-year-old was at pains to thank his old team-mates and even executive vice chairman Ed Woodward - but stopped short of affording his former manager the same courtesy.

“I had a really good moment with the players just before I left," Van Persie told reporters. “Everyone in the squad showed me that they had appreciated my time at United. That was enough for me to leave with the right feeling.”

He then interrupted his interpreter to add: “Let me please add one more person to thank.

“I highly appreciate the work of [executive vice-chairman] Ed Woodward in this transfer. He was the man who was very classy in all this. A true gentleman.

"Ed, if you are listening or watching, thank you!"

Van Persie insists he was not surprised to find himself down the striking pecking order at Old Trafford and claims he harbours no bitterness over the experience of his final season at United - but again opted not to mention Van Gaal by name.

“I had to leave the club, and that was not a big surprise to me," he continued. "I saw the situation coming. I was getting used to the situation [of being overlooked]. I don’t make a big deal of it. It is football for you.

“Honestly, I have no hard feelings how it has all gone. I accept it. I had a good time with the players and

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sterling thanks Rodgers after completing £49m Manchester City move

1177372_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Jul 15, 2015 00:11:00

The 20-year-old has paid tribute to the Liverpool manager for allowing him to flourish and also credited agent Aidy Ward for helping to make the transfer happen

Raheem Sterling has thanked Brendan Rodgers in his first interview since completing a £49 million move to Manchester City.

The 20-year-old has committed to a five-year contract with City that makes him the club’s record signing, while the deal has also set a British transfer record for an English player.

Rodgers was forced to deny reports that he had fallen out with Sterling in the closing stages of the winger's switch to City, and the England international admits the Liverpool manager played a key part in his rise.

“I’m just glad it’s all over and done with and I can’t wait to get on the training field," Sterling told City's official website.

The thing that excites me the most is the world class squad we have and knowing we have a team that is capable of winning things year in, year out.

"The more quality players that are around you, the more quality it brings out in you so I can’t wait to get started and play alongside them.

“It has been a long journey from QPR and I’d like to thank a few people who have helped me along the way.

“I’d like to thank Rafa Benitez for taking me to Liverpool as a 15 year-old – that was a massive step for me and a new challenge. Also to Kenny Dalglish for showing such faith in me and putting me in at such a young age.

“I want to thank Brendan Rodgers for giving me a chance and an opportunity in the first team, giving me my full debut – against City funnily enough – and giving me a real chance to cement a place in the first team and show the world my talents.

“Finally, I’d also like to thank all the people around me – my mum and sisters, my management team and Aidy Ward for helping me focus and get where I am today. I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone.”

Sterling also revealed that he spoke with England team-mate Joe Hart about City prior to his move.

“I spoke to Joe briefly on the last England trip,” said the winger.

“He just told me what a really good football club this is and how nice the fans are – nothing too serious, but it was a bit of a heads up.”

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lineker less than impressed with Ranieri appointment

13 July 2015

877070header.jpg

Gary Lineker has slammed former club Leicester City's decision to install Claudio Ranieri as manager, labelling it an "uninspired choice".

Ranieri was appointed as Nigel Pearson's successor on Monday, less than a fortnight after the club parted company with the man who steered Leicester back into the Premier League and kept them up last season after masterminding the most unlikely of great escapes.

At 63, Ranieri is vastly experienced – his CV includes spells at Chelsea, Inter, Juventus, Monaco and Roma – but his previous coaching role in charge of Greece finished in acrimony in the aftermath of a shock home defeat to Faroe Islands last November.

A four-month stint with Greece ended with the side bottom of their Euro 2016 qualifying group, leaving Lineker stunned to see him handed the reins at the King Power Stadium.

"Claudio Ranieri? Really?" the former striker turned broadcaster posted on Twitter.

The ex-England international later added on his BreatheSport account: "Claudio Ranieri is clearly experienced, but this is an uninspired choice by Leicester.

"It's amazing how the same old names keep getting a go on the managerial merry-go-round."

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aston Villa £150m takeover falls through, Tim Sherwood reveals

Randy Lerner is expected to extend his nine-year stay at Villa Park after talks end with mystery US consortium

lerner_3375279b.jpg

Randy Lerner's sale of Aston Villa to an unnamed US consortium leaves his future uncertain

By John Percy
4:42PM BST 14 Jul 2015

Randy Lerner is set to stay as Aston Villa's owner after Tim Sherwood today revealed the £150million sale has collapsed.

Lerner has been unable to agree a deal with a mystery consortium, thought to originate from the United States, and is expected to extend his nine-year spell in charge.

The party were granted an exclusivity period last month but negotiations have broken down and Lerner has now agreed to back Sherwood this summer in the transfer window.

sherwood4_3343169b.jpg

Manager Tim Sherwood is still being backed in the transfer market

However, Lerner admitted in May that he would step down as chairman if he failed to secure a sale and it remains to be seen what the American billionaire’s next move will be.

Sherwood said: “I think it’s dead now to be honest. It was fairly live but I think the people who were talking are now not there.

“The chairman is picking it up and running with it now. I’m not sure if anyone is too close now - until it’s done it’s never there.”

Idrissa_Gueye_3362868b.jpg

Midfielder Idrissa Gueye has arrived at Villa for £9million

Lerner has already forked out £9million on Lille midfielder Idrissa Gueye and funded moves for Micah Richards and Scott Sinclair.

And he has also agreed to pay £9million for Nice defender Jordan Amavi, who is close to joining Villa, while Fabian Delph was persuaded to stay at the club.

“Randy is the one who is making the decisions regarding the players,” said Sherwood. “He is willing to back us to the hilt.

"But he can only back us to the tune of financial fair play. That means there might have to be some exits from the club before we can get in some more.”

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sterling thanks Rodgers after completing £49m Manchester City move

1177372_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Jul 15, 2015 00:11:00

The 20-year-old has paid tribute to the Liverpool manager for allowing him to flourish and also credited agent Aidy Ward for helping to make the transfer happen

Raheem Sterling has thanked Brendan Rodgers in his first interview since completing a £49 million move to Manchester City.

The 20-year-old has committed to a five-year contract with City that makes him the club’s record signing, while the deal has also set a British transfer record for an English player.

I cannot see this transfer working out well for Sterling. He will have to compete with a forward line consisting of Aguero, Navas, Silva and Dzeko.

This could turn out to be worse than Balotelli's move to Liverpool last season.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wilshere plans talks with Wenger over Arsenal role

1569782_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Jul 16, 2015 01:00:00

The 23-year-old has acknowledged that competition for places is strong, while Arsene Wenger admits the midfielder could be used as a wide option

Jack Wilshere has revealed he will discuss his role within the Arsenal team with Arsene Wenger before the start of the new season.

The 23-year-old spent over five months on the sidelines after requiring ankle surgery last season.

Wilshere was eased back into action following his return in May and could only come on as a late substitute in Arsenal’s 4-0 win over Aston Villa in the FA Cup final.

The midfielder returned early to pre-season training in order to improve his fitness and admits he faces a fight to secure a regular role in Wenger’s side.

“I haven’t spoken to the boss about what plans he has for me but I will do before the start of the season,” said Wilshere.

“At the moment, I’m just concentrating on getting fit. I had a good end to the season and I just want to keep it going.

“That’s why I wanted to come back in early for pre-season because I felt I missed too much of last season and wanted to give myself the best opportunity to get fit.

“I asked the boss ‘Boss, can I come back early?’ I wanted that because I missed quite a lot of last season.

"The competition is strong in midfield so, yes, it’s down to us as individuals to make that place ours but I’m up for the challenge and I’m sure the other boys are as well.”

Wenger, meanwhile, has indicated that Wilshere could be used as a wide option for the new season.

“For me, Jack can play in all the attacking positions - wide and central; and we have many good creative players. They will all tell you they want to play centrally. Unfortunately, some have to go wide as well,” said the Arsenal manager.

“Jack always had an appetite but he’s been out for a long time. But already in the last two or three games of last season, he has found his burst back. His acceleration.

“For him and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, it is a big part of their game. To be efficient, they need that. There are high demands physically to be perfect. Jack is getting close.

“Like Alex, he was injured last year, early in the season and missed five months. The top level is so demanding physical that to be in and out is a nightmare for the players. Jack needs continuity.

"We have a big squad but not a massive one. The opportunities will be there for everyone.”

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schweinsteiger: I joined Man United to win titles

bastian-schweinsteiger-manchester-united_tl4dj2bhxv2pzmdssh19bvk2.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Jul 16, 2015 00:42:00

The 30-year-old insists he has not lost the hunger for silverware despite claiming eight Bundesliga titles, seven DFB Pokals and a Champions League at Bayern Munich

Bastian Schweinsteiger insists he joined Manchester United to win silverware rather than simply reunite with former boss Louis van Gaal.

The Germany international ended his 17-year association with Bayern Munich to move to Old Trafford in a £12 million deal on Monday, arriving at the same time as Southampton star Morgan Schneiderlin.

And having claimed eight Bundesliga titles, seven DFB Pokals and a Champions League crown in Bavaria as well as the 2014 World Cup with Germany, Schweinsteiger insists he has not lost his hunger for trophies.

"I am very happy to be here and to play for Man United," the 30-year-old said at his unveiling during United's pre-season tour of the United States.

"It is a big honour. It's a new step in my life. I want to win titles, it's easy. Manchester United is used to that and I am too, so that's my goal."

Schweinsteiger fielded questions alongside fellow summer signings Schneiderlin and Matteo Darmian, and Van Gaal admits he is very pleased by United's transfer dealings so far.

"I am very happy because they are in my opinion very good players," the Dutchman added. "That is why Manchester United has bought them.

"I am very happy that they are already here before the tour. We can prepare in the tour all the team elements that I have to implement with the new players. Memphis Depay is also here and now we have three new signings so it's much better than last year."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: Valdes is out, he doesn't follow my philosophy

895992_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Jul 15, 2015 23:25:00

The Dutchman has criticised the 33-year-old's refusal to play for Manchester United's reserve side and his inability to follow the team's "philosophy"

Louis van Gaal has hit out at Victor Valdes for not following his “philosophy” and expect the 33-year-old to leave Manchester United this summer.

Goal understands that Valencia are in talks with Valdes’ agent over a potential season-long loan move, with the goalkeeper’s contract with United set to expire next summer.

After leaving Barcelona, Valdes was offered the chance to train with United last October before he signed an 18-month deal in January.

But the Spaniard was excluded from United's pre-season tour of the United States and Van Gaal admits he has been left disappointed by the goalkeeper's attitude.

“Valdes is not selected for the tour because he doesn't follow my philosophy. The philosophy is how you play football and how you maintain your match rhythm,” said Van Gaal.

"He refused last year to play in the second team. There are a lot of other aspects in the philosophy of how you have to play like a goalkeeper at Manchester United.

"When you are not willing to apply the principles of that philosophy there is only one way, and that is out.

"For us this is a big disappointment. We thought he would follow our philosophy.

"It's a pity because we gave him the opportunity to rehabilitate himself. Then we gave him a contract. Then of course he is fit to play.

"When you're not playing in the first team, you have to play in the reserves."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool hand Firmino No.11 shirt

robertofirmino-cropped_bnaiu08syeyg1hbsl80xwfmdl.jpg

By Jay Jaffa
Jul 15, 2015 10:12:00

The Brazilian joined the Reds from Hoffenheim and is the first man to wear this shirt since Oussama Assaidi, while fellow summer signings also had their numbers confirmed

Liverpool have announced their squad numbers for the coming season, with new boy Roberto Firmino handed the No.11 shirt.

Firmino joined the Reds for a fee in the region of £28 million (€41m) and follows in the footsteps of other notable No.11s such as Vladimir Smicer, Yossi Benayoun and Jamie Redknapp.

Nathaniel Clyne takes the No.2 shirt, vacated by Glen Johnson, while Joe Gomez will wear the No.12 shirt last used by Victor Moses and goalkeeper Adam Bogdan takes Martin Kelly's former shirt No.34.

Brendan Rodgers has looked to strenthen his squad following a disappointing season, although Raheem Sterling moved to Manchester City on Tuesday for £49 million (€70m), he has already added six new signings.

Confirmed earlier this month, Danny Ings has been handed the No.28 shirt with James Milner taking No.7. Divock Origi, who signed last summer before returning to Lille on loan, takes the No.27 shirt.

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal business guru Almstadt poached by Aston Villa

astonvilla-cropped_1rgj451ztmwyb19s4pldpse7n8.jpg

By Paul Clennam
Jul 15, 2015 22:52:00

The German leaves the Emirates Stadium after four years to join up with former Gunners executive Tom Fox and improve the Villans' recruitment process

Aston Villa have appointed former Arsenal head of business development Hendrik Almstadt as sporting director.

The 40-year-old German moves to Villa Park after four years with the Gunners, and is tasked with improving Villa's recruitment process.

Almstadt is the first person to hold a sporting director role at Aston Villa and the club's chief executive Tom Fox, who worked at Arsenal between 2009 and 2014, said: "I'm really pleased to welcome Hendrik to Aston Villa.

"I was able to see first hand the excellent work he did at Arsenal and he will add tremendous value across our entire football set-up."

Almstadt, who starts in his new post on Monday, added: "I can't wait to start my new role at Aston Villa. It is a club with huge potential, a rich history and deep roots in Birmingham, the Midlands, and within English and European football.

"I look forward to working again with Tom Fox and to establish a close relationship with the manager, Tim Sherwood."

Sherwood believes Almstadt will provide make life easier for him in the Villa Park dugout.

He said: "I'm really excited Hendrik is joining. We have a lot of work to do at the football club and Hendrik will make the job I have here easier."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: I don't know if De Gea will stay, but we'll see with Di Maria

david-de-gea-manchester-united-04042015_yauu77stbrbd1umz7zujs2rim.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Jul 16, 2015 00:26:00

The Dutchman says the decisions both men face over possible transfers are a part of a "process" and expects to see his Argentine winger later this month

Louis van Gaal has refused to shed any light on whether David de Gea and Angel Di Maria will start the new season at Manchester United.

Earlier this month Goal reported that United had given up hope of keeping De Gea with Real Madrid keen to sign him, while Jorge Mendes this week flew to Paris to discuss a potential move to Paris Saint-Germain for his client Di Maria.

But while he was remarkably forthright in his assertion that Victor Valdes will leave United this summer, Van Gaal was less open to discussing the futures of two of his most high-profile assets.

"We shall see," the United boss told reporters when asked about Di Maria's future. "In football it's a process. It's a process for Di Maria, it's a process for Manchester United. We shall see. I count on him.

"For now he's a member of Manchester United. He's said to me he shall come here on July 25."

On De Gea, he added: "When you ask me about the attitude of De Gea I think the question is stupid. I cannot answer if Manchester United will sign Romero because it is a process. I can't say anything about the process and the strategy of Manchester United.

"I've said that two or three press conferences and you are asking every time the same questions. Maybe you are right, or maybe not, it depends on David de Gea.

"Shall he stay? I don't know! Maybe you? Maybe you have spoken with David? He's training here and doing his utmost best."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Henry: Arsenal need four more players to challenge Chelsea

1344282_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Jul 17, 2015 23:26:00

Despite the acquisition of Petr Cech the former striker says the Gunners must strengthen further if they are to mount a Premier League title challenge next season

Thierry Henry says Arsenal need four more players if they are to challenge Chelsea for the Premier League title.

The Gunners finished last season in third place, 12 points behind Jose Mourinho’s champions, despite a strong finish to the season.

Arsene Wenger has already made his first signing of the summer, having signed Petr Cech from the Blues, but Henry says more players are needed for a title tilt.

"That team, I think, has great mentality, top-quality players and match-winners. I still think they need four players to get closer to Chelsea,” he told Sky Sports.

“I compare it to my generation. I knew, for example, when I first arrived at Arsenal that if I was not performing after an hour, Dennis Bergkamp was on the bench sometimes or Kanu or Sylvain Wiltord or Davor Suker. Whoever it was, I knew I had an hour to perform.”

Goal understands the Gunners are prepared to be patient in their pursuit of Real Madrid's Karim Benzema with Wenger refusing to rule out a move, and Henry feels another forward is important.

"Olivier Giroud alone there as a natural-born striker, it is difficult, because they say when he does not score, it is very difficult,” he added.

“Hopefully Theo Walcott could be the answer. You have a guy who you did not think was going to play as a striker, although he has been the talk of the town for a little while, him playing as a striker.

"You know some people still question Arsene Wenger, but I still think that Arsene has the right attitude and fire; the fire in his belly to try to make sure that team can win another title."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Delph blames 'emotion' for Manchester City transfer U-turn

fabian-delph-aston-villa_h5qj19gpw8j515x80vb02uvwh.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Jul 17, 2015 20:19:00

The 25-year-old says he initially turned down Manuel Pellegrini's men out of affection for Aston Villa but could not ignore the 'football opportunity' in front of him

Fabian Delph claims he was ruled by his heart rather than his head when originally spurning a move to Manchester City to stay at Aston Villa.

The 25-year-old completed a protracted £8m move to the Etihad Stadium on Friday, having initially turned down City's offer of a four-year contract worth £100,000-a-week and re-asserting his commitment to Villa.

His spectacular double U-turn has caused controversy but Delph insists he could not allow "emotion and feelings" to override "the football opportunity" of joining City and competing for major trophies.

"Leaving Aston Villa Football Club is the hardest decision I've ever had to make," he said in a statement.

"I've had some amazing times and made some great friends during my time at the club and I'll always be thankful to them for giving me the opportunity to play in the Premier League.

"As has been widely reported I initially turned down the opportunity to join Manchester City. That decision was purely down to the love I have for Aston Villa and its great supporters.

"When I was made captain of Villa it was a huge honour for me and I took the responsibility incredibly seriously. I signed my new contract last season with the view of staying at the club for the duration of the deal and never with the intention to leave a year later.

"My decision to stay initially was purely based on the emotion and feelings that I hold for the club and the people there that I would be walking away from - rather than looking at the football opportunity that had been placed in front of me.

"I've experienced some incredible low times in my career with injuries and at one point even questioned whether I would even return to Premier League level. Despite that, I've always been 100 per cent committed to improving my game and developing as a player and a person.

"As a kid watching the game on TV and then as a young footballer you dream about testing yourself against the best in the world, to compete for major trophies and to play in the Champions League. I've proved that I can play at the very top level with England and believe I owe it to myself to take the challenge of playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world in Manchester City.

"I have been immensely proud to captain such a great club and want to thank everyone at Aston Villa - most importantly the fans - for the amazing support they have shown me during my time there.

"I am now excited for the future with Manchester City and helping the club to succeed in the coming season and beyond."

Ilkay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bundesliga falling behind Premier League, warns Rummenigge

karl-heinz-rummenigge-fc-bayern-munchen-munich_btaot5jua0511fekbr4s42oqx.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Jul 17, 2015 16:10:17

The Bayern Munich chief has lamented how the English league is ahead in terms of transfer activity, television money and successful marketing

Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has urged the Bundesliga to step up if they are to avoid falling further behind the Premier League financially.

The English top flight sold the domestic television rights to matches for a record £5.136 billion in February for three seasons from 2016-17 - a 71 per cent increase on the previous deal in 2012.

Contrastingly, the Bundesliga receives an estimated £437 million per season for rights to air games within Germany, leaving the Premier League around four times better off.

Rummenigge lamented how Germany is being beaten by English opposition and is worried that the Bavarians and their domestic rivals will be stripped bare by Chelsea, Manchester United and their Premier League competitors.

"The Bundesliga has to finally act," he told Bild. "The English are overtaking us left, right and centre.

"When taking into account transfer market activity, in marketing terms, in TV money – anywhere, really. The Bundesliga has to be careful not to fall further behind, I think.

"Anyone who follows the transfer market at the moment, within which English clubs work, knows their clubs are being fully upgraded. The Bundesliga has to be careful that we're not emptied out."

Rummenigge was speaking at the start of Bayern's trip to China – which sees Pep Guardiola's men play three money-spinning matches in nine days – and he says such pre-season tours are a necessity in the modern footballing climate.

"We have to make these trips for economic reasons," he added. "These are not leisure trips, let's be realistic here.

F5AC40FCE6C3D45478C656E33FC904FE.jpg

"It would be possible to go to Austria or Switzerland to prepare, which would be easier on players and coaches, but if eight or nine German clubs do this then the Bundesliga wouldn't be able to continue.

"There's no fears that a trip to China affects our preparation, though. Last year was very different because we only had three and a half weeks of time to work with the players [because of the World Cup].

FBABAB79488106D02B432FEB7CBBE573.jpg

"This time, many internationals such as Thomas Muller and Manuel Neuer are already back in training, along with many others also. This year is much more relaxed."

Bayern kick-off their competitive season with a DFL-Supercup clash against Wolfsburg on August 1, with the Bundesliga getting under way 13 days later.

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini: Record Sterling fee not a concern for Manchester City

manuel-pellegrini-cropped_104nrpuadga25195n8tonjwz6v.jpg

By George Ankers
Jul 17, 2015 15:35:00

The Chilean is confident the attacker will justify the £49 million expense after the 20-year-old 's transfer from Liverpool was finally completed

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini is not worried by the £49 million fee that his side paid Liverpool to make Raheem Sterling the most expensive ever English player.

The 20-year-old completed his transfer on Tuesday after a protracted and acrimonious pursuit but, though the size of the deal alarmed some, the City boss says that it is worth it to sign the right man.

"The price is not the most important thing. The most important thing is to choose the player you need," Pellegrini told reporters.

"Every time you need a player, the price is very high – not just for City but for every team."

Having finally landed Sterling, the Chilean is relishing the prospect of watching the youngster flourish and fulfil his potential.

"I think that Raheem can play in different positions – he can play as a forward because he has a lot of speed or he can play also on the wing.

"He's a very young player, so he has a lot of things to improve. I think it's important for him to have a new challenge in our team where he will play with great players, which will improve his game. He will also improve us as a team.

"I think that Raheem has already demonstrated what he can do as a player at Liverpool, but he's just 20 so he has a lot of things to improve."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Former Liverpool player Brian Hall dies

16 July 2015

878784header.jpg

Former Liverpool midfielder Brian Hall died on Thursday aged 68, after a battle with leukaemia.

The Scotland-born Hall represented the Reds 153 times in the Football League between 1968 and 1976, and most memorably was a part of their winning 1974 FA Cup final team - with Bill Shankly's men surpassing Newcastle United 3-0 at Wembley.

A statement on Liverpool's website revealed he tallied 224 games in all competitions for the Anfield side, for 21 goals.

"Brian also hit a dramatic FA Cup semi-final winner in 1971 when Liverpool beat Merseyside rivals Everton to reach Wembley for the first time since 1965," the Reds statement read.

Hall led Liverpool's public relations department for 20 years from 1991, before departing the role due to his health.

Hall also plied his trade as a player at Plymouth Argyle and Burnley, where he finished his playing days in 1980.

"Burnley Football Club is saddened to learn of the death of Brian Hall. He made 51 apps for the club," the Championship club's official Twitter account read.

"Pilgrims in mourning for Brian Hall - 55 apps, 16 goals, 1976-77 - thoughts and prayers with family and friends #pafc," Plymouth Argyle's account tweeted.

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Samaras exits Albion

17 July 2015

879095header.jpg

Georgios Samaras' West Brom contract has been terminated by mutual consent.

The Greece striker joined Albion on a two-year deal last August, but was restricted to just eight appearances for the Premier League club in all competitions, all off the bench.

Samaras spent the second half of last season on loan at Al Hilal, and has now agreed to leave The Hawthorns, with a possible return to Celtic mooted as well as a move to Melbourne City, the city where his father was born.

The 30-year-old enjoyed a trophy-laden six years at Scottish champions Celtic, netting 71 goals in 243 appearances.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal not done yet in transfer market

17 July 2015

878905header.jpg

Louis van Gaal is not finished with his Manchester United squad overhaul and has hinted that he is targeting a minimum of two more new players.

Mephis Depay, Matteo Darmian, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Morgan Schneiderlin have already been lured to Old Trafford during the close-season as United strive to become Premier League title challengers, while the likes of Real Madrid duo Sergio Ramos and Karim Benzema continue to be linked with United.

And United boss Van Gaal still wants to strengthen, as he told MUTV: "I hope so. No, we are not finished yet, I think.

"We need a balance in the selection and I think we still need to improve at least two positions and we shall do that when it is possible.

"But we shall only buy when the player can give a contribution to our level.

"And, of course, that is in the eyes of our staff, but I have to have confidence that he can cope with the rhythm of the Premier League."

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Newcastle very close to Mitrovic, says McClaren

aleksandar-mitrovic-anderlecht_fi8phqjft7m11fjd4655uuhsu.jpg

By Gill Clark
Jul 19, 2015 09:13:00

The Magpies are confident of making their second signing of the summer following the arrival of Georginio Wijnaldum from PSV

Newcastle manager Steve McClaren says the club are “very close” to signing Anderlecht striker Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The player’s agent Pini Zahavi has already revealed he expects the striker, who scored 20 goals in 37 Belgian Pro League games, to move to St James’ Park this summer.

McClaren’s side continued their pre-season preparations with a 1-0 win over Sacramento Republic and, speaking after the game, the 54-year-old revealed he is confident a deal is imminent.

“We are very close to something,” he told reporters after the 1-0 win over Sacramento Republic when asked about Mitrovic.

“There is a lot of speculation and pre-empting of decisions. But certainly from the feedback back home they are working very hard to bring one or two players back in.”

Newcastle, who have already signed Georginio Wijnaldum from PSV, take on MLS side Portland Timbers next but McClaren says the Mitrovic deal will not be done before the game.

“No I don’t think so,” he added. “We have what we have, it’s a good squad. We now go to Portland and it will be a totally different game.

“I am so pleased with the games we have had so far in terms of how they boys have worked.

“They are getting minutes in and working hard. Their attitude is very good.”