• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Microwave in the airline cabin ?

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is this how it's supposed to look like ?

enf_galley.jpg

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
It can't be conventional oven because the rectangular plate that we're served is warm but not hot, while the food is hot. If it was a conventional oven, the plate is likely to be hotter than the food.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It can't be conventional oven because the rectangular plate that we're served is warm but not hot, while the food is hot. If it was a conventional oven, the plate is likely to be hotter than the food.

its is! in fact, u said it! those in EY or economic class will eat from the porcelain rectangular plate or bowl which the cabin crew put it inside the oven and you are right that the plate or bowl itself is hotter than the food. they will put the heated up bowl in a plastic bowl on the tray and serve it to you. raffles or business and first class, the cabin crew will lay out nicely like eating in a restaurant. economic class serve drinks in plastic cups, business and first class serve drinks in glass. did u take any SIA flight before? if u took it before u will know what im talking about.

i think they change their menu every 6 mth, try different class within 6 mth and u will realise that actually they serve almost the same food across 3 different class.

Last edited:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think UA or united airline and some others have those oven cart. which they just need push it and plug it to the power point on board the plane to keep the food hot. it can be steak still cooking in the oven cart and later the cabin crew will just cut and serve the steak to the passengers.

this video show a typical economic in flight meal. in the video they use aluminium container for the main course.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZqYSaEnjC7s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i think this is a video that can more or less explain. what they having on board is quite standard for business and first class way of serving the meal.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mD8yP0db2Eg" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>

Last edited:

niigata

Alfrescian
Loyal
The ovens used are usually steam type. A water pipe is connected to the oven from the back. There is also another type called "convection" oven. No water is supplied, the oven just heats up the air inside the cavity, just like in a sauna.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is an interesting but very weird discussion topic. Khun Ying Pojaman, why are you asking about this? Are you fitting your newly bought plane? :biggrin:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is also another type called "convection" oven. No water is supplied, the oven just heats up the air inside the cavity, just like in a sauna.

It's this part that I'm curious. I don't think it's the same mechanism of convection oven used at home. I believe there is an issue with the air pressure in the cabin which is why a non-conventional is preferred.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have only tasted Business Class travel once in my entire life, and that was with Cathay Pacific when the economy seats were all taken up, and I was late to check in and the pushed me to the Business Class.

I don't remember food was being served restaurant style because the 'foldable' table in business class is about the same size as economy.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Wrong. Knife is plastic in economy and SS for business and first classes as far as I know for Asian routes.

My meal yesterday, TG410. Singapore to Bangkok

6f73344

Special meal Hindu non-vegetarian.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
most galley ovens are convection ovens. electrical energy is converted to heat which heats up food until water content steams like a bun in an enclosed steamer. convectional steam warmer is more like it. there is no cooking going on in an aircraft galley. there's a bunch of shut off valves, thermostats, fans, pressure sensors to control and monitor ovens from becoming hazardous and warm food more evenly.

Last edited:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have only tasted Business Class travel once in my entire life, and that was with Cathay Pacific when the economy seats were all taken up, and I was late to check in and the pushed me to the Business Class.

I don't remember food was being served restaurant style because the 'foldable' table in business class is about the same size as economy.

Not sure about Cathay but SQ and Emirates biz class they use proper plates in Biz class not the foldable types. And they serve Start, main and dessert seperately.

Below are pic of the starter and main course from my flight back from a recent trip to Paris

Attachments

• DSC06442.JPG
    DSC06442.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC06443.JPG
    DSC06443.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 185

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe the galley oven is a Super Heated Steam Oven:

426715_f260.jpg

In the past the steam was made internally making the need for the oven or steaming container to be raised to a sufficient temperature before the steam is Produced.

In Modern steam ovens the steam is produced externally then introduced into the oven. Eliminating the requirement to raise the oven temperature before steam is produced.