• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious For Boss Sam: 'Hyundai's Sudden Unintended Acceleration'

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sometime last year I brought to the attention of this forum the tendency of some Hyundai Sonata taxis to jerk forward suddenly when the accelerator is depressed. This was from first-person accounts with the many taxi drivers I met and seemed to afflict only Sonatas, not the Chevrolet Epica, Toyota Prius or even the i40. One cab driver rammed his car into a carpark wall but got off unscathed. Another rear-ended the car in front when moving off at a junction. One actually switched taxi companies so that he could drive the Epica instead after a couple of close shaves with the Sonata.

Sam pooh-poohed the idea that Hyundais could have such a fatal defect escaping the notice of the authorities and the cab companies. Never being able to share his faith in Korean cars, I said a thorough investigation should be conducted before fatalities occurred, but no action was taken.

And an elderly woman collecting cardboard was killed in Bedok in March this year by a rampant Sonata taxi.

Now the LTA has decided to investigate. Sad that it took a death to wake the authorities up over an issue that had been well-documented and even investigated by the Korean authorities as far back as 2012.

LTA probes 'unintended acceleration' in Hyundai cars

ST_20160517_VNHYUNDAI_2295706.jpg

There has been a spate of accidents involving ComfortDelGro's Hyundai cabs that may be due to sudden unintended acceleration.

Move arises from videos showing Hyundai cabs in crashes that suggest drivers were not in control

Christopher Tan
Senior Transport Correspondent

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is investigating a phenomenon known as sudden unintended acceleration (SUA) in Hyundai cars that may have caused a spate of accidents involving taxis in Singapore.

The move arises from footage captured by car cameras showing Hyundai cabs operated by ComfortDelGro in dramatic crashes that suggest the drivers were not in control of their vehicles at the time.

In one video, a taxi reversed hard into a parked vehicle in an HDB carpark. It then moved forward, only to reverse again - this time mounting a kerb and crashing tail first into a block of flats.

In another video, a cab reversed into a vehicle near a carpark gantry, then bolted forward at high speed and collided with more than one vehicle.

The Straits Times spoke to a cabby of 13 years, who claimed his Hyundai Sonata cab surged forward when he was in a taxi queue at Resorts World in March.

"My first instinct was to steer away," said the relief driver, who declined to be named. "The cab mounted two kerbs before it came to a stop. I believe I stepped on the brakes, but it was not hard enough."

In response to a query, the LTA said it is "looking into the reported cases of Hyundai vehicles having an unintended acceleration in reverse gear". But a spokesman added that "it is premature to draw any conclusions at this point in time".

Cases of SUA have been well documented, although not all can be proven to be mechanical in nature. Some are attributable to drivers stepping on the accelerator instead of the brake pedal and, in panic, depressing the accelerator further.

BusinessKorea, a news portal in Seoul, reported that 417 accidents between 2010 and 2014 were suspected to have been caused by SUA.

Cars from Hyundai and sister brand Kia accounted for nearly 60 per cent of the lot, it added.

In 2012, the Korean authorities investigated the cases, leading Hyundai to say it would introduce a "brake pedal throttle override" function in its cars.

However, it is unknown how many models have been equipped with this feature, which cuts off the throttle when brakes are applied.
Hyundai admitted to Road & Track magazine that "with virtually all cars using electronic throttle control today, there remains the remote possibility for an unforeseen electronic throttle control malfunction, causing a vehicle to accelerate contrary to driver input".

In 2014, an in-depth investigation by the Korean Broadcasting System (Seoul's equivalent of the BBC) found that
a version of the Hyundai Sonata had a defective engine control unit that caused SUA.

Meanwhile, neither ComfortDelGro nor Hyundai distributor Komoco will comment on the purported cases of SUA in Singapore.

Hyundai is not alone in this. In 2014, Toyota settled a multibillion-dollar suit involving SUA in its cars, which were deemed to have caused fatal crashes. Following that, Toyota introduced a throttle override similar to Hyundai's.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The biggest market for Hyundai is the USA where they are leading the Korean charge in the SUV market. If there is an issue the USA will find it.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Toyota had this issue in the US since 2005 and there are a raft of lawsuits. Toyota also recalled couple of millions cars in the US. I am not sure if this is still the case. There was also Youtube on a runway Toyota and a Lexus SUV in the US again. Truly scary.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The biggest market for Hyundai is the USA where they are leading the Korean charge in the SUV market. If there is an issue the USA will find it.

Anecdotal incidents of runaway Hyundais have been reported throughout the globe but so far the most horrendous accidents have occurred in Korea, triggering off a major investigation. Hyundais just aren't sold in large enough numbers yet in the States to raise the alarm, but it's a matter of time. Here's a AWSJ report on an infamous Korean case that injured 17 people:

Korean Officials Probe Sudden-Acceleration Case (Video)

By JAEYEON WOO

May 14, 2012 4:15 pm ET

[video=youtube;3bXQ5m11lw8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=29&v=3bXQ5m11lw8[/video]

A senior couple’s tragic car accident, video images of which have shocked South Korean drivers for the past week, is now getting government attention.

On Monday, the Ministry of Land, Transport & Maritime Affairs said it launched an investigation into a sudden acceleration claim that led to the accident in Daegu on May 6. Video evidence appears to show that the couple’s Hyundai Sonata suddenly accelerated and, after 13 seconds of maneuvering by the driver to avoid other cars, wound up rear-ending a car at a stoplight at a speed of 130 km/h, or about 80 miles per hour. That set off a chain reaction accident that involved several other vehicles and injured 17 people.

The couple in the car, a man and woman in their 60s, were on their way to a department store, their son, who asked to be identified only by his family name Kwon, said in an interview on Monday.

Mr. Kwon extracted the video of the accident from a “black box” used to record information in the event of a crash. He uploaded it on an internet forum because he said he didn’t think police and Hyundai were persuaded that it was a sudden acceleration incident. Someone else posted it on You Tube, he said.

In the video, the conversation was normal with the wife softly advising her husband to try not to frown in front of others.

Then all of a sudden, the car accelerated while the couple mumbled with shock and fear. The wife repeated said, “Oh my god, what is going on?” The car makes several quick lane changes as the driver tried to avoid other cars. But then he came up on a group of stopped cars with a barrier on the left side and there was nowhere to go. The video ends with the couple groaning in pain.

Mr. Kwon said his mother, 63, underwent an operation to stop internal bleeding. His father suffered fractured ribs and fingers.

Hyundai Motors, in a statement on Monday, said, “The vehicle [in the Daegu accident] is being inspected by the Korean National Forensic Service. There is no time estimate for the conclusion of the investigation.”

Japanese car manufacturer Toyota was dealt a serious blow to its reputation after it was forced to recall a massive number of cars in 2009 due to cases of sudden acceleration.

The land ministry said it was looking into four other recent cases of sudden acceleration as well as the Daegu accident.

Sohn Young-sam, an official at the ministry, said 80 cases of unintended acceleration were being investigated by the state-run Korea Automobile Testing & Research Institute from 2003 to 2011. But nearly 1,000 complaints have been filed with Korea Consumer Agency since 2006.

“I just wish that the investigation team could find out the reason this time around so that there is no repeat in the future,” said Mr. Kwon.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These are the pics from the Mar 30 tragedy in Bedok which killed an old woman and damaged 5 vehicles. And the driver was unjustly charged with causing death by negligence.

img_8590.jpg

20160331_bedok.jpg

sengkang02.jpg

20160331_taxi2.jpg

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These are the pics from the Mar 30 tragedy in Bedok which killed an old woman and damaged 5 vehicles. And the driver was unjustly charged with causing death by negligence.

For the defendant to exonerate himself/herself, a trial is needed, whereby experts from both sides will give their evidence. Long trial expected.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For the defendant to exonerate himself/herself, a trial is needed, whereby experts from both sides will give their evidence. Long trial expected.

I hope Comfort Delgro will give him all the legal support he needs. The taxi companies have been negligent. These anecdotal incidents have been going on for at least a couple of years here; no way they can claim ignorance. They have to be held liable, not the cab drivers.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hope Comfort Delgro will give him all the legal support he needs. The taxi companies have been negligent. These anecdotal incidents have been going on for at least a couple of years here; no way they can claim ignorance. They have to be held liable, not the cab drivers.

unlikely imo. not only comfort delgro but hyundai should also offer support. driver must be real suay.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anecdotal incidents of runaway Hyundais have been reported throughout the globe but so far the most horrendous accidents have occurred in Korea, triggering off a major investigation. Hyundais just aren't sold in large enough numbers yet in the States to raise the alarm, but it's a matter of time. Here's a AWSJ report on an infamous Korean case that injured 17 people:
That driver should have immediately changed to Neutral and pulled up the handbrake, not to mention to step on the brakes as well. I'll always engage to Neutral whilst stationary at traffic lights.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That driver should have immediately changed to Neutral and pulled up the handbrake, not to mention to step on the brakes as well. I'll always engage to Neutral whilst stationary at traffic lights.

For manual, yes. Not for auto. Shifting the gear to neutral at traffic lights and back repeatedly actually puts more load on linkages between the transmission and drivetrain, resulting in more wear and tear.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the US runaway incidents on the highway, in one case the driver was on them phone and they patched in automotive exerts to help him but no avail. He could not kill the engine, etc. Even the brakes including the handbrakes had no effect.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
First it was Toyota, now its Hyundai. Cars are being too heavily computerised. And as we know, software and firmware are not without glitches. They are only as good as the people who wrote them. I miss the good old days of purely mechanical and electrical systems in cars.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
First it was Toyota, now its Hyundai. Cars are being too heavily computerised. And as we know, software and firmware are not without glitches. They are only as good as the people who wrote them. I miss the good old days of purely mechanical and electrical systems in cars.

Agree. It's the electronic throttle system that's vulnerable to glitches. Now even the steering and brakes are 'fly-by-wire', no more operated via mechanical linkages.