• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Making a will in Spore

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the LPA, is there a provision for the person appointed if die earlier? Like another back up name or need to reappoint? How about the provisions can include a clause to unplug as soon as vegetative state?

I have nominated 2 executors. It is recommended that you nominate at least 2 executors in case one of them passes away before you do.

You could probably nominate a string of people e.g. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th....but they have to agree to be executors & will have to go to the lawyers office to sign the forms.

You get to decide if these executors can exercise their powers singly or must have the joint approval of all of your executors. You can also set other limits e.g. allowing them to sell your assets, etc.

The mistake the person in the Ying Yang case made was in putting too much power in the hands of a single stranger. If it was a close relative there would be less chance of abuse.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have nominated 2 executors. It is recommended that you nominate at least 2 executors in case one of them passes away before you do.

You could probably nominate a string of people e.g. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th....but they have to agree to be executors & will have to go to the lawyers office to sign the forms.

You get to decide if these executors can exercise their powers singly or must have the joint approval of all of your executors. You can also set other limits e.g. allowing them to sell your assets, etc.

The mistake the person in the Ying Yang case made was in putting too much power in the hands of a single stranger. If it was a close relative there would be less chance of abuse.

Thanks. Do you have a clause to say when you want them to unplug the ventilator?

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm seeing my relative & friends going away for good. The sad reality is that we are all getting old & you never know when your time will come:(
So I have made my will.

I would like to share my experience to help others who want to do the same.

There are 2 things you should consider making:
1) A will
2) A lasting power of attorney

A will is where you list your assets & who among your friends & relatives will get the $$ after your are gone.
Keep in mind that your CPF cannot be covered by a will. You MUST make a nomination via the CPF office. Failure to do so will mean that the PAP will get all your hard earned $ when you pass away.

It cost me $300 to $400 hundred in lawyer fees to make a will.

The other thing you should consider is making a "lasting power of attorney". If you don't die but are unable to take care of yourself e.g. have a stroke & can't talk, become brain damaged,.. Your caregiver needs the power from "a lasting power of attorney" to act on your behalf. A "lasting power attorney" will authorise someone to make decisions on your behalf e.g. sell you home, use your bank account,..etc

I know of a couple where the husband suffered a stroke & the wife cannot sell the home to downgrade for the $$ because the house is under the husbands name.

The cost of "a lasting power of attorney" is under $1,500.

Good advice but I think there are some inaccuracies in your comments. Firstly, govt will not makan your cpf if there's no nomination. It will still be distributed according to intestate laws except it might be a longer process. Secondly, I don't think you need to fork out $1500 for LPA. There's an LPA office run by the government and its free if I'm not wrong.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good advice but I think there are some inaccuracies in your comments. Firstly, govt will not makan your cpf if there's no nomination. It will still be distributed according to intestate laws except it might be a longer process. Secondly, I don't think you need to fork out $1500 for LPA. There's an LPA office run by the government and its free if I'm not wrong.

I think some people are being naive about the "system". Even if what you say is true, how many years will your estate remain interstate & how much $$ do your heirs have to spend to get it released? I doubt anyone wants to face the extra delays involved in a situation of interstate. As I have no idea of how many years of delay & extra costs are involved? Maybe someone can provide more details as to how many years it takes for something to be resolved & the cost in $ terms.

Not many here have the legal knowledge to put together a "lasting power of attorney" Attorneys are charging $1,500 which is more than a simple will(costing $300 to $400). FYI, even though I had the assistance of a lawyer to draft & submit a POA, the office of the guardian rejected my initial application because of some dating errors.

If they are being picky on minor details such as signature dates. You can imagine how picky they will be on other errors.
This has caused a delay of months.

If a lay person is willing to do the legwork & have time for the delays I'm sure you do a DIY POA. It's just a matter of time & effort. For anyone interested in doing a DIY POA, you can find the office of the guardian at:

https://www.publicguardian.gov.sg/Contact-Us

For general enquiries:
Hotline: 1800 226 6222

Email: [email protected]

Address: OFFICE OF THE PUBLIC GUARDIAN
Ministry of Social and Family Development
510 Thomson Road
SLF Building, #15-03
Singapore 298135