• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

German Carmakers Diu LTA for Extra Dynamometer Test. SGs to Pay $1k For It!

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
Or just shove in something to restrict airflow or exhaust flow.

How in the world are they going to police this?

It seems more like a money making scheme that an enforcement scheme.

This is really dumb.

All that is needed is to reduce the power by programming the ECU before export and then just plug in a laptop and re program before delivery to the customer.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

In the good old days when I had to take my diesel pickup to Vicom annually, I was taught by a mechanic to do 2 things prior to the test.

1. Half a litre of anti smoke additive to the diesel fuel.

2. Restrict the throttle to about 75% by adjusting the throttle cable.

It passed every time even though it was belching smoke during normal use.

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
"CEO of LTA, Chew Hock Yong. He has held appointments in
the MINDEF, the Ministry of Communications, MHA, MOF, and MCDYS. He was a key
member of the Bid Committee that won the right for Singapore to host the
inaugural YOG in 2010 and played a key role in hosting the Games. He graduated
from the University of Tokyo with a Bachelor of Engineering (Naval Architecture)
and received a Master of Science in Management from Stanford
University."

Isn't it the one we overspent with no regrets from Vivian Balakuku. :kma:

I see!!!! no wonder YOG was a big failure despite >$400m spent and alot of people still does know there was a youth olympics event till this day!!!!scholar my foot. even an ah beng technician with primary school education can tell you how to modify car power using just a spanner.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I see!!!! no wonder YOG was a big failure despite >$400m spent and alot of people still does know there was a youth olympics event till this day!!!!scholar my foot. even an ah beng technician with primary school education can tell you how to modify car power using just a spanner.

You can bet!, many of these scholars , do not even know what a SPANNER is??....or you get them to identify farm animals....they would not know a turkey from a hen...!!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is a case of "Idle hands making mischief" :biggrin:

There are so many paper scholars in the system & they all need to show that they are doing something. So expect more silly policies as the PAP is in power.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
german car manufacturer are famous for giving overzealous figures for economy, power output and speed of their products. Audi being the worse. Their figures can be up to 30% off the mark for economy and power output.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its unbelievable that some govt agency collects billions in COE, road tax, etc. and yet knows nothing about cars.

Not surprising what....Whore Jinx is an engineer who knows nuts about finance and investments....she also can play monopoly with our billions.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SG gov/LTA become really idiot.
Should base on CC not power. Small CC but more power meaning more efficeint engine therefore use less fuel.
Now new stupid rule is 1st in the world and the most funny.

babuSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Categorising based on car horsepower is dumbest thing to do. No two dynos are the same even for a controlled environment. Thats why cars dyno a few times and take the highest.

Sigh.....

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I guess no one on this thread knows anything about cars. Lets just say that one of the cars that I own is a brand that is a favourite of tuners. The Germans are right, and MOT, MTI, LTA, etc all of them know nuts about cars. When the Germans sell you a car, the engine power quoted on their brochure is that of the engine itself. The dyno does not measure this, it measures the power at the wheels. The power at the wheels will always be less than the power at the engine. Engine power is lost going to the drive train on the way to the wheels. By the time it gets to the wheels, the loss can be up to 15% for manual transmission cars and 20% for automatic transmission. Therefore, when the LTA measures a German car's "engine" power using a dyno, it is actually measuring the wheel power. This number will always be less. That is why the Germans don't understand why LTA is doing this, other than as a money grab.

For example, a BMW 3 series with a 1,600cc engine will produce 100kW measured at the engine. But when LTA puts the dyno on it, it could be only 80kW at the wheels. So, in this case, LTA thinks that the Germans are cheating because the engine they think will produce more than 97kW, they will be in for a shock when they see that it only produces as little as 80kW. Furthermore, all specs of the car used in the brochures cannot be lies, or they open themselves up for lawsuits, and even worse, damage their reputation. If BMW sells cars with stated output of 100kW at the engine, and it turns out that it was only 85kW at the engine, their reputation lost is not worth the lies.

Its unbelievable that some govt agency collects billions in COE, road tax, etc. and yet knows nothing about cars.

0507_A13-1.jpg

KNN! I scholar leh! What about you? *chey*

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
This from a country with ZERO car makers! What is LTAs claims to expertise on such matters? Is pissing off German car makers somehow profitable or good for relations?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
After visiting Toyota museum this morning I am more convinced that I should stick with Japanese cars, no regret

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess no one on this thread knows anything about cars. Lets just say that one of the cars that I own is a brand that is a favourite of tuners. The Germans are right, and MOT, MTI, LTA, etc all of them know nuts about cars. When the Germans sell you a car, the engine power quoted on their brochure is that of the engine itself. The dyno does not measure this, it measures the power at the wheels. The power at the wheels will always be less than the power at the engine. Engine power is lost going to the drive train on the way to the wheels. By the time it gets to the wheels, the loss can be up to 15% for manual transmission cars and 20% for automatic transmission. Therefore, when the LTA measures a German car's "engine" power using a dyno, it is actually measuring the wheel power. This number will always be less. That is why the Germans don't understand why LTA is doing this, other than as a money grab.

For example, a BMW 3 series with a 1,600cc engine will produce 100kW measured at the engine. But when LTA puts the dyno on it, it could be only 80kW at the wheels. So, in this case, LTA thinks that the Germans are cheating because the engine they think will produce more than 97kW, they will be in for a shock when they see that it only produces as little as 80kW. Furthermore, all specs of the car used in the brochures cannot be lies, or they open themselves up for lawsuits, and even worse, damage their reputation. If BMW sells cars with stated output of 100kW at the engine, and it turns out that it was only 85kW at the engine, their reputation lost is not worth the lies.

its incredibly stupid how all these LTA buggers are. it just skow how little they knwo about car engines. if the german makers want to qualify for cat A , they just need to program the ECU air-fuel mixture ratio to higher and the power would drop. after inspection they can reprogram it to full power capacity. no need any high tech adjustment or any additional equipment to make a fool of LTA. LTA is just making things difficult for everyone because the whole place is staff by morons. look at the VEP fiasco started by them and its has blown up till the malaysian are fedup and wants revenge and now everybody suffers!!! this is what you get from supposedly some idiotic scholar who cannot think. the best way to categorise A from B is just by their OMV period.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Based on the article, there's an upper limit but not a lower limit.

Specs vary from country to country too. There is no one universal spec sheet for all markets.

The ECU settings on the car I use for track days bears no resemblance whatsoever to the original specifications.

Of course all the specs vary from country to country, that's stating the obvious. They will use the specs for the singapore models they sell.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
These LTA clowns are idiots to boot.
Except when it comes to devising the most complex system to buy a car in Singapore.
Try telling an newly arrived expat on the layers and layers of add-ons if he wants to buy a car in Singapore.

Everything in singapore is made deliberately complicated. buying car, retirement CPF, education system, healthcare system, etc. just one of the PAP ways to confuse and smoke sinkies, so that its easier to sneak in shit policies like this one.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

What nonsense is this? U restrict the airflow, u will kill the engine. U restrict exhaust, u will kill yourself in the car thru carbon monoxide poisoning.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
In the good old days when I had to take my diesel pickup to Vicom annually, I was taught by a mechanic to do 2 things prior to the test.

1. Half a litre of anti smoke additive to the diesel fuel.

2. Restrict the throttle to about 75% by adjusting the throttle cable.

It passed every time even though it was belching smoke during normal use.

errr, yes, diesels belch smoke.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Originally, budget was $107 million, than revised and tripled to become $387 million, than finally settled at over $400million.