• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why DAC Lu Yeow Lim is wiser than overpaid retiree committee on the L.India COI

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why DAC Lu Yeow Lim is wiser than overpaid retiree committee on the L.India COI.
watchmen said:
I think scholar/ police ground commander DAC Lu Yeow Lim did the right thing to stand back to observe for the while before the SOC arrived, as SOC Deputy Assistant Commissioner (DAC) David Scott Arul revealed, only the SOC had the right equipment to deal with the massive and unruly crowd: special body padding, shields and longer, offensive wooden clubs etc. typical police man is only equipped to handle individuals and to use deadly force where absolutely necessary, bullets also limited, gun also not auto, only 6 rounds and that is it, maybe 6 more rounds in small pouch (pouch is so small n U can see), impossible to re-load rounds in riot situation also.

"Large drain covers were flying around life frisbees". DAC Lu Yeow Lim was thus CORRECT to let the crowd temporarily take out their anger on the empty police/ emergency vehicles which were far from human dwellings. He was absolutely correct to be prepared to use lethal force only in exchange for lethal assault: e.g. If the rioters set fire to human dwellings/ HDB flats.

In mind mind, officer DAC Lu Yeow Lim made the right choice and commanded his men well in this unprecedented situation- in which police radios repeatedly failed and he only had about 10 men under his direct command as the rest were dispersed and thus uncontactable within the crowd. It is thus the ridiculous, insensitive senior civil servants/ retires on the committee of inquiry who are being unrealistic and who have their priorities WRONG. Stopping the rioters from damaging the cars/ driving them towards HDB flats might have driven them to burn down HDB flats- with serious consequences such as the loss of innocent human property and lives, officer DAC Lu Yeow Lim was thus absolutely correct to have left them to their relatively harmless: mini dalliance until the SOC arrived, whilst reserving his gunpowder/ forces to defend HDB flats with lethal force only if really necessary.
The only thing I think DAC Lu Yeow Lim can be faulted for would be for not wearing his uniform, however, given the massive mayhem, it is likely that even that wouldn't have changed much since massive human and traffic jams would have impeded reinforcements in any case- I have been to little India on Sunday before: the human overcrowding there is simply out of hand if U ask me what I think....

The unreasonable/ penny wise, pound foolish members on the Committee of Enquiry should get their priorities right. Human life of HDB dwellers, policemen and innocent bystanders was most importantly preserved, the police cars being damaged by the rioters were long beyond repair. 10 plus policemen under DAC Lu Yeow Lim's command focusing on protecting HDB flats did what was CORRECT.

The Singapore government collects S$4billion p.a. (S$4,000,000,000) from foreign worker levies annually, at only OMV of ~S$18,000 for a police car (Toyota Altis), with S$4B, more than 200,000 brand new Toyota Altis Police cars may be replaced (QX cars no need COE), so please stop nit picking over the number of police cars that DAC Lu and his men failed to save... Unless the overpaid sadomasochistic COI members want to see a bloody wayang show, with police running low on bullets, whilst drain cover frisbees decapitate them rather than just further deforming the totaled police cars (immobilized due to the massive Little India human traffic jam).

PS: I do not personally know DAC Lu nor any police man involved, all info I have is from state run news agencies and YouTube videos only.
Deputy commander quizzed over tactics
The Straits Times
Saturday, Mar 08, 2014
DEPUTY COMMANDER QUIZZED OVER TACTICS
Deputy Assistant Commissioner (DAC) David Scott Arul, the deputy commander of the Special Operations Command (SOC), was questioned by Committee of Inquiry chairman G. Pannir Selvam over his assessment of police tactics during the Dec 8 riot in Little India.
DAC Arul: We (the SOC) have a higher chance of de-escalating and stopping the violence. When you go in with less, there's a higher chance of escalating the violence.
Mr Selvam: What you have said appears to be the official template of what happened... There was a Traffic Police officer who took out his baton and went against (the rioters)... He was a young chap, all alone.
DAC Arul: I want to make it clear, I am not trying to sell an official line. This is my assessment.
Mr Selvam: No, I'm not saying you are selling an official line.
DAC Arul: Our troops came in, and we dealt with the situation. In the days that followed, there was a lot of praise... but when I heard the reports of (front-line) officers on the ground, I was quite proud of the fact that they managed to hold the line without being overrun.
My biggest concern was that if they had made an attempt (to engage the mob) and failed.
We use the Traffic Police officer as an example.
According to his own statement, he agitated (the rioters) more (after he charged at them).
Big drain covers were being thrown like frisbees across the road.
I watched that video and that's a very brave officer, undeniably a courageous officer.
But from a tactical perspective, that is not a very tactically sound way to address the situation.

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/deputy-commander-quizzed-over-tactics

Last edited: