• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sometimes it is hard to understand Gilbert Goh....

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
To oppose the PAP even when you have the intellectual and organisational power is hard enough. For the less skilled people, it is a daunting challenge. While we cannot fault Gilbert Goh for his enthusiasm, guts and energy, much of everything else is missing. By the time we got to the 2nd protest, the quality of the speeches were actually quite poor, Gilbert did not do quality control ...by the time we got to the 3rd protest, it was quite hard to stomach.... But still I turn up to show support but by then I really don't know what Gilbert is trying to do or what his speakers are trying to say.

Rally organiser Gilbert Goh said that he was personally disappointed. When asked in a question-and-answer session at the end of the protest why attendance fell, he said that some Singaporeans may have been pacified by the Government's recent moves to tighten the influx of foreign workers and to raise social spending

Oh really? The PAP really hasn't done much...and the people are still very angry. Gilbert for all his energy and effort to organise his protest can without thought say something to "undo" all the effort and time invested really says a lot about him. Now the newspapers can borrow his words and say Singaporeans are happy with the govt. He is really one ad-hoc, muddle headed feller, ...but with some intention to do good. To be fair to him, he did try which is more than what can be said for most of the govt critics. ...but he is really not up to the mark of someone who can lead a cause effectively.

The same can be said of many people who feel they can oppose the PAP only to falter on their own weaknesses....and over estimating themselves. That is why some good Singaporeans stay away from opposition politics although they disagree with the PAP....imagine you spend your time and effort to help Gilbert organise the protest...in one statement, he just said the latest protest is useless and unnecessary. People don't want to waste their time. ...really and that is what sometimes happen in opposition politics.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It's not Gilbert's fault only 500 showed up. He cannot alter the fact that the majority of Singaporeans are very happy with the PAP and very content with the lives they lead.

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
gilbert lacks focus and concentration.
he was running around all over the shop doing his own things.
the least he could do was stay on the stage listening to the speakers.
but still must be thankful for his effort in organising.
anyhow a big thank you to him.

if only less sinkies run away from sinkapoor

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sinkies haf oni 3-minit-hotness 三分钟热度 ...

like ah loon, dey want instant results in wat dey do ...

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have pointed out in a separate thread that GG and co. should not be flogging dead horses. The White paper issue is wearing thin, most of the hot air has been let off in the first protest, so GG could have manage expectations.

They could have tried a new angle, a new issue. E.g. could we not have demanded for greater transparency and accountability and possibly more teeth and an independent FCF commission to oversee the process to catch employers who are merely wayanging? Or protest at the runaway COE system, not just prices?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have pointed out in a separate thread that GG and co. should not be flogging dead horses. The White paper issue is wearing thin, most of the hot air has been let off in the first protest, so GG could have manage expectations.

They could have tried a new angle, a new issue. E.g. could we not have demanded for greater transparency and accountability and possibly more teeth and an independent FCF commission to oversee the process to catch employers who are merely wayanging? Or protest at the runaway COE system, not just prices?

As I've said elsewhere, the average sinkee is angry with policies but still not angry enough.

You're right, the people involved in the hong lim protests need to rethink their strategy.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's not Gilbert's fault only 500 showed up. He cannot alter the fact that the majority of Singaporeans are very happy with the PAP and very content with the lives they lead.

It shows that majority of Singaporeans hate to be clusterfucked among hundreds and thousands. Their absence tells it all.

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/final-white-paper-protest-at-hong-lim-park-attracts-1-000-153626039.html

Final White Paper protest at Hong Lim Park attracts 1,000
By Nurul Azliah Aripin | Yahoo Newsroom – 14 hours ago

Final White Paper protest at Hong Lim Park attracts 1,000 people.

Yahoo Newsroom - Final White Paper protest at Hong Lim Park attracts 1,000 people.

[UPDATED 6 October, 8am: Adding attendance figures by observers.]

Organisers estimated that Saturday's final protest against the Population White Paper, held at Hong Lim Park on a scorching hot afternoon, had attracted about 1,000 people.

This is the third time that Gilbert Goh of transition.org, a support site for the unemployed, has organised a White Paper protest. He was “slightly disappointed” at the turnout, which was a stark contrast to the first protest held in February, where 4,000 people showed up.

“I think we are a bit disunited. If you organise this in Hong Kong, you will probably get 50,000, in Malaysia maybe 100,000 and in Indonesia, 500,000, and we are not there yet. But I won’t give up,” Goh said, adding that it is difficult to organise such an event in Singapore.

The recent changes made to the foreign manpower policy could also be the reason for the diluted response, he told Yahoo Singapore.

However, observers on the ground, including an AFP reporter have estimated that the attendance at the protest was nearer to 500.

For the final installment, Goh invited a total of seven speakers of various ages, races and backgrounds to present their thoughts at the event which went on for close to four hours. Some of the speakers included The Online Citizen’s blogger Leong Sze Hian, healthcare executive and blogger Roy Yi Ling, architect Fatimah Akhtar and operations executive Alex Tan.

Many of them touched on the issue of foreigners in the country, saying that Singaporeans are actually blaming the government’s foreign worker policy instead of the foreigners themselves.

The only female speaker at the event, Akhtar, shared her experience of working in the Middle East for seven years. There, she said, the number of foreigners is five times more than the locals .

In the United Arab Emirates, she said, “There are absolutely no benefits for the foreigner. All are allowed to work, but they have to take care of themselves. And once they finish their contract, they go home."

Healthcare executive Roy Yi Ling, who received the loudest cheers, addressed why some people are hostile towards foreigners. He said, “We can’t do anything to the government. That’s why we turn to the foreigners… the result of the government policies.”

Singer Gilbert Louis entertained the crowd halfway through the event with songs like "Stand Up for Singapore” and John Lennon’s “Let it be”.

There was also a job fair at the park, set up by six employers who, according to Goh, have made efforts to prioritise Singaporeans when hiring new employees.

Chee Soon Juan together with members of the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) were seen at the event around 6pm and Goh had invited Chee on stage where he said, “A word of caution to those who are going against government policy… attack the flaws of the policy not the people who are here to work.”

Organisers wrapped up the event with a question and answer session where about eight people from the crowd came up to ask questions and voice their thoughts.

In February, Parliament endorsed an amended motion to the White Paper on Population by 77 votes to 13.

The amended motion filed by Holland-Bukit Timah MP Liang Eng Hwa stated that the White Paper “supports maintaining a strong Singaporean core by encouraging more Singaporeans to get married and have children, supplemented by a calibrated pace of immigration to prevent the citizen population from shrinking.”

PM Lee, in an address before the motion was endorsed, stressed that the 6.9 million population figure had been taken out of context and that the Paper was not about any specific population size for beyond 2020, but rather that it was being used for the purpose of land use and infrastructure planning.
Final White Paper protest at Hong Lim Park ...
SDP's Chee Soon Juan greeting those attending the final white paper protest. Some of the things he said include expressing that he feels "encouraged" after seeing people, especially the young speaking at the event.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

the sinkies cant be bothered. very immatured.

Annunaki

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gilbert needs to be more selective in choosing speakers for the event. Stop getting fucktards like Alex tan zhixiang from the lampa TRS website with zero credibility to speak at his event and more people will turn up.
Who the fuck will be inspired by what cb Kia Alex tan says? This cockster even post positive comments on his own article in TRS using troll FB accounts and monikers!

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Give it a rest GG, fatigue has set in. But remember to bring this up again during GE time. The issue will not be forgotten!!

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gilbert needs to be more selective in choosing speakers for the event. Stop getting fucktards like Alex tan zhixiang from the lampa TRS website with zero credibility to speak at his event and more people will turn up.

I am quite certain he tried to rope in better speakers but did not succeed.

But to be left with getting a child to speak is something which I find difficult to understand.

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
1385268_315244258615225_63745700_n.jpg

This will help you to understand him a little bit better

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
do not understand why above figures were exaggerated. very sinister one here.
i was there at 3.30pm
i paid $10/ each for a red polo and a red t-shirt, plus $5 for a cap.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am quite certain he tried to rope in better speakers but did not succeed.

But to be left with getting a child to speak is something which I find difficult to understand.

Those with political ambition would be wise to avoid Gilbert Goh. You wouldn't want to be tarred with the brush of xenophobia whilst running for public office.

Singaporean are not dumb. They want people to help them change policies but not those who articulate divisive views along racial or nationalistic lines.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was told that now its harder for firms to get Foreigners,,the S Pass thing has cut demand for foreigners and locals are now in demand,,is that true? to me i dont see it as this island is still packed with ah nehs, ah tiongs and pinoys,,,

scbccb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gilbert should just hold one solid protest rally. His rallies turning out to be some kind of pasar malam. :confused:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was told that now its harder for firms to get Foreigners,,the S Pass thing has cut demand for foreigners and locals are now in demand,,is that true? to me i dont see it as this island is still packed with ah nehs, ah tiongs and pinoys,,,

Not really.. The Marine Industry is still the same.. They still recruit a lot of foreigners as they are finding it hard to get the locals to fill up the positions in certain departments within the Marine Industry..

But one saving grace is the Marine Industry's quota recruitments.. For a number of Foreigners these Marine companies hired, they also need to hire a required number of locals to level things up..