• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

buddists and monks are peaceful ppl ? ;)

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
to buddhists, war is akusala aka unskillful, evil. yet buddhists sometimes fight in wars. is war always wrong? Is there such a thing as a "just war" theory in buddhism? :wink:

buddhists at War
buddhist scholars say there is no justification for war in buddhist teaching. yet buddhism has not always separated itself from war. there is historic documentation that in 621 CE monks from the shaolin temple of china fought in a battle that helped establish the tang dynasty. in centuries past, the heads of tibetan buddhist schools formed strategic alliances with mongol warlords and reaped benefits from the warlords' victories.
the links between zen buddhism and samurai warrior culture were partly responsible for the shocking collusion of zen and japanese militarism in the 1930s and 1940s. for several years a virulent jingoism seized japanese zen, and teachings were twisted and corrupted to excuse killing. zen institutions not only supported Japanese military aggression but raised money to manufacture war planes and weapons.

observed from a distance of time and culture, these actions and ideas are inexcusable corruptions of dharma, and any "just war" theory that arose from them were the products of delusion.

in recent years buddhist monks have been leaders of political and social activism in asia. the Saffron revolution in burma and the march 2008 demonstrations in Ttbet are the most prominent examples. more troubling are the monks of sri lanka who lead the jathika hela urumaya, "national heritage party," a strongly nationalist group that advocates a military solution to sri lanka's ongoing civil war. so you you still think buddist and monkss are peacefull ppl ? :wink:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
to buddhists, war is akusala aka unskillful, evil. yet buddhists sometimes fight in wars. is war always wrong? Is there such a thing as a "just war" theory in buddhism? :wink:

buddhists at War
buddhist scholars say there is no justification for war in buddhist teaching. yet buddhism has not always separated itself from war. there is historic documentation that in 621 CE monks from the shaolin temple of china fought in a battle that helped establish the tang dynasty. in centuries past, the heads of tibetan buddhist schools formed strategic alliances with mongol warlords and reaped benefits from the warlords' victories.
the links between zen buddhism and samurai warrior culture were partly responsible for the shocking collusion of zen and japanese militarism in the 1930s and 1940s. for several years a virulent jingoism seized japanese zen, and teachings were twisted and corrupted to excuse killing. zen institutions not only supported Japanese military aggression but raised money to manufacture war planes and weapons.

observed from a distance of time and culture, these actions and ideas are inexcusable corruptions of dharma, and any "just war" theory that arose from them were the products of delusion.

in recent years buddhist monks have been leaders of political and social activism in asia. the Saffron revolution in burma and the march 2008 demonstrations in Ttbet are the most prominent examples. more troubling are the monks of sri lanka who lead the jathika hela urumaya, "national heritage party," a strongly nationalist group that advocates a military solution to sri lanka's ongoing civil war. so you you still think buddist and monkss are peacefull ppl ? :wink:

There will never be a lack of reason to start a conflict or a war but many would find it hard to let go of the killing once it starts. Bloodlust may be one of humans nature but I believe in the good of people. Justifying only makes one feel better but a wrong is a wrong. There is no just war no matter how strong the reason is, that is why it is best to resolve conflicts peacefully, without war or usage of any of it's deadly implements.

It is also good to know that those who swear off the sword or scorns the use of violence are still equally susceptible to being harmed by it.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is also good to know that those who swear off the sword or scorns the use of violence are still equally susceptible to being harmed by it.

This applies to the verbal sword as well.

Do you think the verbal sword or the physical sword is more powerful? I think the verbal sword is more powerful.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
This applies to the verbal sword as well.

Do you think the verbal sword or the physical sword is more powerful? I think the verbal sword is more powerful.

Both can harm another whether intentionally or unintentionally. The verbal one can harm many at once though so yes it may cause more harm. The verbal one can also lead to greater suffering.

I think the worst though is the sword within oneself as it gnaws at those that that uses it as well as the one it strikes. It is a truly double edged sword. Let go of hate and it will also let go of you.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the worst though is the sword within oneself as it gnaws at those that that uses it as well as the one it strikes. It is a truly double edged sword. Let go of hate and it will also let go of you.

Ah, yes. Truly wise. The mental sword is the most powerful of them all.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
No, there isn't.

I am pretty sure you do perceive that a few black dots of ink will render the whole sheet of white paper black as well.

wars are not created by a few person or a few monks ...theres thousands of monks on war during that time . what do you think holy war is about ?

Last edited:

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wars are not created by a few person or a few monks ...theres thousands of monks on war during that time . what do you think holy war is about ?

And so millions of Buddhists throughout the centuries were wrong because of those "thousands of monks on war"? That is a very enlightening logic.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
And so millions of Buddhists throughout the centuries were wrong because of those "thousands of monks on war"? That is a very enlightening logic.

use your brain to think ..if you have one . ppl have been making use of religion to get what they wanted in hidden agenda and not on war only . im sure you read about news how religion ppl commit crime so happily in the name of their god . and ppl kena con happily in the name of god too . see how your botak brother mingyi and the recent case of CHC where their victim still supporting their conman . religion make ppl delusional it must be banned . period .

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ppl have been making use of religion to get what they wanted in hidden agenda and not on war only .

People have also been making use of loopholes in state laws to get what they wanted.

Religion does not eliminate the bad hats. For Buddhism, they had always existed even when the Buddha was alive.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
People have also been making use of loopholes in state laws to get what they wanted.

Religion does not eliminate the bad hats. For Buddhism, they had always existed even when the Buddha was alive.

" People have also been making use of loopholes in state laws to get what they wanted".

i dont have any issue on that statement but theres also religious leader using religion as a tools to get what they wanted . yes bad hats existed even before buddha was born .

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
And so why the hatred for religions?

i dont hate religion ...i just dont believe in them and i wanted to create religion awareness ..to prevent others from being con . and i want ppl to have confidence in themselve and not lead by a conman . i want ppl to lead a life for themself and not being a slave to religion , i want ppl to think logically instead of believing in something which are fake . i dont want ppl hard earn money kena con by religious guru or so call holy man ...

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dont hate religion ...i just dont believe in them and i wanted to create religion awareness ..to prevent others from being con . and i want ppl to have confidence in themselve and not lead by a conman . i want ppl to lead a life for themself and not being a slave to religion , i want ppl to think logically instead of believing in something which are fake . i dont want ppl hard earn money kena con by religious guru or so call holy man ...

Happen to bump in here while reading someone latest post. Very interesting discussion here but it's a pity I am a little late here.

Anyway, I agree with you. One should not be so blind or fixed to some beliefs that one is unable to withdraw from it and ended up as a victim who is unable to detach himself/herself from the beliefs. My heart sours for CHC church goers who still blindly support pastor Kong.

Whatever is it, be it political beliefs, religious beliefs, or markets beliefs ones must constantly seek the real Truth and makes ones decision based on the Truths and not seek the "Truth" that is spoken by ones highly-regarded/respected idol for people character do changes as his or her circumstances changes. The person that become your idol for something that he/she did in the past may very well changes and does things that opposes the beliefs he/she once held or practise in the past.

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Happen to bump in here while reading someone latest post. Very interesting discussion here but it's a pity I am a little late here.

Anyway, I agree with you. One should not be so blind or fixed to some beliefs that one is unable to withdraw from it and ended up as a victim who is unable to detach himself/herself from the beliefs. My heart sours for CHC church goers who still blindly support pastor Kong.

Whatever is it, be it political beliefs, religious beliefs, or markets beliefs ones must constantly seek the real Truth and makes ones decision based on the Truths and not seek the "Truth" that is spoken by ones highly-regarded/respected idol for people character do changes as his or her circumstances changes. The person that become your idol for something that he/she did in the past may very well changes and does things that opposes the beliefs he/she once held or practise in the past.

" Whatever is it, be it political beliefs, religious beliefs, or markets beliefs ones must constantly seek the real Truth and makes ones decision based on the Truths and not seek the "Truth" that is spoken by ones highly-regarded/respected idol for people character do changes as his or her circumstances changes. The person that become your idol for something that he/she did in the past may very well changes and does things that opposes the beliefs he/she once held or practise in the past".

clap clap ...well said . anything , we must seek the truth not only religion .

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
" Whatever is it, be it political beliefs, religious beliefs, or markets beliefs ones must constantly seek the real Truth and makes ones decision based on the Truths and not seek the "Truth" that is spoken by ones highly-regarded/respected idol for people character do changes as his or her circumstances changes. The person that become your idol for something that he/she did in the past may very well changes and does things that opposes the beliefs he/she once held or practise in the past".

clap clap ...well said . anything , we must seek the truth not only religion .

May I add that we can only advance when we do not stop to question the "Truth" from the past. And it is only with a logical and rational mind that we are able to debunk past "Truth" and find the real Truth just like our ancestors have lived for centuries with past "truth" that the earth is flat until it was proven to be spherical.

We will stop to see the real Truth once we accept the Truth spoken by highly-regarded people without questioning or "testing" it with an open, logical and rational mind, and our civilization will come to an end when everyone does that.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are reports of thousands of muslim being cleanse in burma by the buddhist. i think you miss out on that