• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Your friendly neighbourhood electronic shop - Yeow Tat Trading Enterprises

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tech shop salesman 'withheld' passport

THE experience of an expatriate at an electronics shop - Yeow Tat Trading Enterprises in Lucky Plaza - has left him fuming and airing his grievances to the online community.

The customer, who wanted to be known by his online username, noblewolf, i s a 28-year-old project manager.

He told my paper the incident happened last Saturday.

He had written about his experience in a VR-Zone online forum posting.

His unpleasant experience came after he refused to pay for a $570 mobile phone, which he claimed the shop initially told him would cost only $190.

The expatriate said: "The salesman, Lucas, said that if I did not pay up, I would not get my passport back and he would call his friends down and something would happen to me.

"I didn't want trouble so I paid up. It's an extortion because they heldmy passport hostage."

He had handed over his passport to the salesman, who asked for it in order "to register the phone to my name". He thought this was a normal practice, as was the case in other countries.

Subsequently, when the phone turned out to be faulty,
he was denied a refund and ended up getting a Jabra BT 3030 bluetooth headset in exchange.

An electronics shop at IMM Building told my paper the Jabra headset costs $98.

Lawyer Anand Nalachandran, head of dispute resolution at ATMD Bird & Bird LLP, said that in civil disputes like this, neither party involved has the right to seize identification documents like passports or identity cards.

"Only the court has the power to do so," he said, adding that the expatriate should report the case to police.

The Consumers Association of Singapore (Case) said there have been 41 reported cases involving Yeow Tat Trading Enterprises since 2006.

Last July, the shop reportedly charged $2,600 for a PlayStation Portable game console, which costs about $300.

On the latest complaint, Case's executive director, Mr Seah Seng Choon, said: "What the retailer has done would be considered an unfair practice under the Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act. This is a civil wrong."

When contacted, a Yeow Tat Trading Enterprises employee, who gave his name as Michael, said he did not think his colleague Lucas - who was "on leave" - would threaten the expatriate by calling "the mafia" or withholding his passport.

He said: "The company will check to find out what happened."

http://digital.asiaone.com/Digital/News/Story/A1Story20090513-141062.html

41 reported cases since 2006 and this shop is still doing their business? Seems like what CASE can do is very little.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
41 reported cases since 2006 and this shop is still doing their business? Seems like what CASE can do is very little.

Maybe in the 41 cases the people who were involved were not members of CASE so CASE could care less.

How about our police? Isn't cheating a criminal case :confused:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

all salesman in lucky plaza are con artist ( even those selling perfum ) ..once you step into lucky plaza , thats it . sure kena maka ..i used to own a shop there ....i know whats going on :biggrin: .