• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Yawning Bread :An ill-judged and irresponsible scoop by TOC

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
An ill-judged and irresponsible scoop

The Online Citizen behaved irresponsibly yesterday on two counts.
1. They published a letter by Stephanie Chok that was not meant for them, and not in the public domain, and this raises a question of ethics.

2. Publication of the letter in The Online Citizen hurt the very people that Stephanie wanted to help through her letter.

What happened was this: On reading the Straits Times' story (Worker jailed for trespass at MOM, 26 May 2009) about the government prosecuting a Chinese migrant worker for wanting to commit suicide, Stephanie wrote a letter to the Straits Times. She circulated the letter among a few people (including me) with whom she had previously worked on migrant worker issues. In circulating it, she clearly said that it was meant for the Straits Times.

The Online Citizen picked it up and published it within hours. Now that it has appeared online, it is very unlikely that the Straits Times will publish it. Stephanie herself expressed disappointment with this turn of events.

How does it hurt migrant workers? If the letter had been published by the Straits Times, the government would be obliged to respond, as is their style. But on an online site, the government is likely to ignore it, going by its usual practice of ignoring online content.

The people who need help are the migrant workers. They are sometimes exploited by their employers, even when law is on their side, and they get virtually no assistance when they appeal to the relevant authorities for intervention and redress. If your social conscience is in the right place, you would weigh any action you're about to take and ask yourself: Would I be helping or hurting them?

Any website owner should know that leaving it to the Straits Times to publish the letter would offer the best chance of official attention to the problem; short-circuiting it would cheat the workers of Stephanie's best efforts. Therefore, the responsible thing for any website owner to do would be to hold back and let the optimum course of action take effect. That is provided that there isn't even a question of ethics of publishing a letter that wasn't meant for you.

It is true that part of the problem is that the Singapore government has a policy of ignoring concerns raised outside of the mainstream press. It shouldn't be so. A truly responsive government would pay attention to issues raised on both traditional and new media. Ideally, it shouldn't matter if a question is raised online or in the mainstream press.
But while we wait for that ideal world, migrant workers right here, right now, are treated very badly. We have to recognise the reality of the politics that exist and do our best for migrant workers within the present parameters.

Doing our best sometimes means holding back and letting a better platform take it. In the interest of people who most need help.

Now that it has become public prematurely, I might as well help publicise Stephanie Chok's letter, so that her concerns reach as many people as possible:

26 May 2009

Dear ST Forum,

I refer to the report ‘Jailed for 10 weeks’ (ST, 25 May 2009), in which a Chinese national was jailed for attempting suicide at the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

While not condoning rash and dangerous acts, it remains critical to interrogate the circumstances that drive individuals to such drastic measures.

As a citizen concerned about the wellbeing of workers, I have spoken to many China workers embroiled in work-related disputes. A common thread in many accounts is the apathy they encounter from MOM staff and the multiple barriers to procedural justice.

On one occasion, a construction worker from Jiangxi recounted how, after countless attempts to seek assistance for unclaimed wages, he commented (in frustration) that he may as well just jump because it seems pointless. The MOM officer said: "You can go and take a jump for all I care." The worker asked, "Just to be clear, you are saying you do not care at all about our affairs?" The MOM officer replied: "Yes, you can say that."

Another worker, a farmer from China who speaks no English, went to the MOM with a severe injury, which his employer did not report. He was given a scrap of paper with a URL scribbled on it, with no other explanation. The worker was thoroughly confused and asked me if it was the address of a hospital.

I have also heard stories where MOM officers have mocked, ignored and talked down to workers. I have personally witnessed an MOM officer yell at workers for daring to seek assistance from ‘outsiders’, and the same officer refusing to allow workers to speak during settlement meetings.

A worker driven to attempt suicide is most likely an individual who is desperate rather than criminal-minded. While risky acts that endanger public safety must be deterred, it seems misguided to punish Mr. Zhao without giving due recognition to the underlying factors that drive one to such acts.

From my experience of speaking to China workers in distress, bureaucratic indifference compounds the frustration for debt-laden workers under immense pressure to resolve disputes swiftly, often living in poor conditions and with dwindling financial resources. My guess is that much more than a jail sentence, empathy, professionalism and sincere efforts to ensure procedural justice will go much further in ensuring worker justice and public order.

Ms Stephanie Chok Juin Mei

Irresponsibility is something I would pin on the government too. Here we have workers who are desperate, because they have been exploited. They take their grievances to the government only to find very little help.

Zhao Erhui's complaint was not only that his salary was in arrears but that his eye had been hurt in welding work. I cannot judge the merit of his claims, but he must have been really distraught to have climbed to the roof of the Ministry of Manpower in order to jump off it.

For that he was initially charged for the crime of attempted suicide and now sentenced to 10 weeks' jail for trespassing on government property.

This looks to me like part of a general pattern where the government ignores the substantive issues but goes after the act of protest. It appears to be hoping that severe penalties for protesting will stop people from complaining without their having to do anything about the underlying grievances.

The mainstream media reports the story with a similar perspective. It then becomes a diversionary tactic. The public's attention is focussed on the "mischief" that some people get up to, without due attention on why they are so unhappy in the first place. And thus, structural problems are never addressed.

I am really upset tonight.

© Yawning Bread

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
TOC apologises to Ms Stephanie Chok
Thursday, 28 May 2009, 12:36 am | 287 views
Mr Alex Au, in his blog, has highlighted what he termed “an ill-judged and irresponsible scoop”.

Mr Au was referring to the letter written by Ms Stephanie Chok on the Chinese worker who was sentenced to jail for attempting suicide at the Ministry of Manpower’s building and who was jailed for 10 weeks.

When TOC’s Managing Editor, Andrew Loh, received the email containing the letter, he mistakenly thought that it was meant for publication on TOC’s website and did not seek Ms Chok’s permission before doing so.

For this, Andrew has apologised to Ms Chok in private and Ms Chok has graciously accepted the apology.

We offer our public apology to Ms Chok here.

As for Mr Au’s other assertions – for example, about TOC’s “social conscience” - we shall leave it to our readers to judge.

The plight of the migrant workers has been a focus on TOC for the last seven months or so. TOC provided intensive coverage in its Migrant Workers Focus Week in January this year. Indeed, TOC has continued to highlight the problems faced by migrant workers. We have also been and continue to be in constant and regular contact with the workers and those who are helping them. TOC has recently assigned a reporter specially dedicated to migrant workers issues as well.

TOC will continue to highlight such issues – whether they concern Singaporean workers or foreign workers

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
<The people who need help are the migrant workers. They are sometimes exploited by their employers, even when law is on their side, and they get virtually no assistance when they appeal to the relevant authorities for intervention and redress. If your social conscience is in the right place, you would weigh any action you're about to take and ask yourself: Would I be helping or hurting them?>

if so free, please devote time to helping fellow singaporean workers, not migrant ones.:eek:

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now that it has become public prematurely, I might as well help publicise Stephanie Chok's letter, so that her concerns reach as many people as possible:

26 May 2009

Dear ST Forum,

I have also heard stories where MOM officers have mocked, ignored and talked down to workers. I have personally witnessed an MOM officer yell at workers for daring to seek assistance from ‘outsiders’, and the same officer refusing to allow workers to speak during settlement meetings.

Ms Stephanie Chok Juin Mei

Irresponsibility is something I would pin on the government too. Here we have workers who are desperate, because they have been exploited. They take their grievances to the government only to find very little help.

Zhao Erhui's complaint was not only that his salary was in arrears but that his eye had been hurt in welding work. I cannot judge the merit of his claims, but he must have been really distraught to have climbed to the roof of the Ministry of Manpower in order to jump off it.

For that he was initially charged for the crime of attempted suicide and now sentenced to 10 weeks' jail for trespassing on government property.

This looks to me like part of a general pattern where the government ignores the substantive issues but goes after the act of protest. It appears to be hoping that severe penalties for protesting will stop people from complaining without their having to do anything about the underlying grievances.

The mainstream media reports the story with a similar perspective. It then becomes a diversionary tactic. The public's attention is focussed on the "mischief" that some people get up to, without due attention on why they are so unhappy in the first place. And thus, structural problems are never addressed.

I am really upset tonight.

© Yawning Bread

If MOM bochap these migrant workers, you think the employers will? The Government talks about gracious society, helping out migrant workers and integrating them into Singapore's society and yet, this is how they themselves treat the migrant workers! Any wonder why Singaporeans are shunning them?

The message MOM wants to send to migrant workers is "do not play punk". Will the migrant get the message? I do not think so.

The result will be the migrant workers will not even bother going to MOM for help. They will rebel - street protests, burning down of their employers' offices etc. In a foreign land, they stick closer together and their fellow countrymen will support them.

MOM better wake up their idea and start helping these people.