• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

write essays in flowery language just to please the teachers

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Relook second-language requirement for A levels
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I HAVE always been baffled by the Education Ministry's insistence on having Tamil as a second language even at pre-university level.
When I was a student, I found my Tamil classes at junior college unbearable because I could already communicate effectively in the language, appreciate the culture and relate to the Tamil-speaking population by the time I had completed my O levels.
But in junior college, I was expected to read up materials in Tamil I was hardly interested in to expand my vocabulary and write essays in flowery language just to please the teachers and ensure a high grade. The time spent learning the language could have been put to better use, for example, focusing on core subjects.
If polytechnic students can do their diplomas without having to take up a second language, why can't A-level students do the same? Geetha Nair (Mrs)