• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

World's most idiotic CEO!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
JAL's CEO takes bus to work and eats at the cafeteria (even when the press aren't following him)

by Josh Lew Dec 11th 2008 @ 2:00PM
<!-- sphereit start -->
80058563,jpg.jpg
Every couple of days here in Minneapolis, Northwest CEO Doug Steenland is on the television telling the thousands on Northwest employees living in the Twin Cities not to worry about losing their jobs after the merger with Delta is completed. Judging by the number of strikes and employee complaints NW has experienced over the past few years, I'd say no one takes him too seriously. If you you headed a company that performed so poorly and you still made Steenland's salary (before perks), you wouldn't be worried about anything or anyone.

Perhaps top execs at US airlines could learn something from JAL CEO Haruka Nishimatsu. After major lay-offs three years ago, Nishimatsu cut all his perks and then slashed his salary. In 2007, he made $90,000. A tidy sum, but much less than many of JAL's pilots make. He takes public transit to work and eats lunch next to the plebes in the cafeteria.

Perhaps you could chalk up Nishimatsu's approach to cultural differences between the US and Japan. But his explanation of the rational behind cutting his own perks and salary makes perfect sense to me.

"We in Japan learned during the bubble economy that businesses who pursue money first fail. The business world has lost sight of this basic tenet of business ethics."

Is this ethical approach working? JAL is faring reasonably well. Compared to US airlines, it is quite successful. So you can be ethical and successful? Amazing.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Perhaps top execs at US airlines could learn something from JAL CEO Haruka Nishimatsu. After major lay-offs three years ago, Nishimatsu cut all his perks and then slashed his salary. In 2007, he made $90,000. A tidy sum, but much less than many of JAL's pilots make. He takes public transit to work and eats lunch next to the plebes in the cafeteria.

"We in Japan learned during the bubble economy that businesses who pursue money first fail. The business world has lost sight of this basic tenet of business ethics."

Is this ethical approach working? JAL is faring reasonably well. Compared to US airlines, it is quite successful. So you can be ethical and successful? Amazing.
ze multi-million $ world crass gahmen was reading n discussing tis n was contemplating n wifin a whisker 2 making a decision 2 adopt tis approach ...

n den, dey read ur title ... :rolleyes:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ass loong...looking at the picture of him attending the 'lo hei' at GSK, have so many 'protectors'....you think, he will take the commuter trains to work?...

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal

I was wondering what was that 'basic tenet'?

It turned out that the basic tenet referred to was the pay gap between the top and the bottom.

Full quote:
In Japan, says Nishimatsu, there's less of a pay gap between the top and the bottom. "We in Japan learned during the bubble economy that businesses who pursue money first fail. The business world has lost sight of this basic tenet of business ethics." Nishimatsu says his airline has a long, difficult recovery ahead. As far as his pay, he's dug into his savings like the rest of us.

If that is true, then by other people's tenets, Nishimatsu is either not a real talent or will not remain honest for long.

It is also highly doubtful that he can cook french food.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well good job to the CEO. In fact I think he's the smartest CEO in the world. At least he would win his employees over and win the PR outside of his company.

His level of EQ is just top class stuff.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well good job to the CEO. In fact I think he's the smartest CEO in the world. At least he would win his employees over and win the PR outside of his company.

His level of EQ is just top class stuff.

have you seen our MIWs eating at Hawker centers? :biggrin:

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
have you seen our MIWs eating at Hawker centers? :biggrin:

Nah. Obama has ate in many common restaurants- all informal- during his campaign though. Even as a Senator, he has ate in places where a lot of ordinary people hung about.

I wish our leaders could be as humble as the JAL boss.

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://donklephant.com/2008/12/09/how-ceos-should-act/

JAL was going through some very tough times in 2007 when Nishimatsu was appointed CEO. Jobs were cut. People were asked to take early retirement. As he commented “The employees who took early retirement are the same age as me. I thought I should share the pain with them. So I changed my salary.”

this is what sharing of pain is all about, not just empty talk from our pappies.

Snipeshot08

Alfrescian
Loyal
After major lay-offs three years ago, ********* cut all his perks and then slashed his salary. In 2007, he made $90,000.

So you can be ethical and successful? Amazing.

There is always 1 key point that most people missed, it is the BEFORE that matters.... imagine if you have been paid millions of dollars before and already amassed a huge stash much more than enough for several retirements, what is being frugal just for the public eye???

For what we know those so called "frugal" CEOs may be having a grand time at home :rolleyes:

Much money have been taken from the citizens in all ways and splurged by the big banks in bonuses and commission during the boom time until now when the bubble finally burst but there is no ways to take them to task :mad: