• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Woman who lives in van after selling home had options

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,210951,00.html?

Woman who lives in van after selling home had options
She turned down offers of help: HDB
By Shree Ann Mathavan

August 20, 2009

BROKE and without a roof over her head, she claims to have fallen on hard times, blaming it on sheer bad luck.

Madam S Bagam, 35, sold her three-room flat in Ang Mo Kio in November 2007 and got about $32,000 in cash, after settling her arrears and splitting part of the money with her ex-husband.

Today, all that is left of the money is $120, she claims.

And for the last month, she has been sleeping in a van which she uses to ferry school children during the day.

The New Paper reported on Madam Bagam's plight on Saturday.

But HDB, in response to The New Paper's queries, said Madam Bagam's situation is a result of her personal decisions and that she should take responsibility for them.

HDB has tried to help her by offering her a temporary rental room in a three-room flat in either Toa Payoh or Havelock Road in June while she sorts her finances out.

But Madam Bagam turned down the offer.

'I have no choice,' she said. 'I don't think I'm being choosy. My income is about $500 and the rent costs about $399 (with utilities).

'What about the rest of my expenses?'

Staying with her siblings was another option, a HDB spokesman suggested.

Madam Bagam has two sisters in their 40s, and a brother in his late 30s.

But she claimed she has been estranged from them since their mother died in 2004.

She said: 'I've not talked to them for about four years, so they don't know I'm sleeping in a van. We're not on good terms so I never considered asking them for help.'

What happened to the money she got from her flat?

The HDB spokesman said Madam Bagam sold the flat for $177,000, and received about $75,000 in cash.

'Madam Bagam was the sole lessee of the flat while her ex-husband was listed as occupier,' the spokesman said. 'All the sale proceeds would accrue to her.'

But Madam Bagam claimed she gave part of the proceeds to her then-husband, and she kept $32,000.

Clearing debt

Shortly after, the couple got a divorce. Madam Bagam claimed she spent most of the $32,000 on clearing old debts, rental housing and household expenses.

Until last December when she became a driver, she did not have a job. She also claimed to have lent $13,000 to a friend.

After the money dried up, Madam Bagam started sleeping in the van.

Her 11-year-old daughter lives with her ex-husband in Johor Baru, while her 5-year-old daughter is under the care of a babysitter, also in JB.

Under current HDB policy, those who sell their flat are unable to get a rental flat till 30 months after the date of the sale. HDB says the 30-month rule is to prevent such people from competing with other needy families for limited rental flats.

The HDB spokesman said: 'When she sold her flat, (Madam Bagam) was in a good position to afford home ownership, given her proceeds and the fact that she was young and employable.'

Madam Bagam was also not in arrears, which suggested she could have afforded to keep the flat, the spokesman added.

'Subsequently, however, she made a series of personal decisions with regard to the use of her cash proceeds. As a result... today, she is in financial difficulty and her housing is uncertain.'

HDB also noted that Madam Bagam's current monthly pay of $500 does not qualify her for a HDB housing loan. She had previously enjoyed two concessionary interest rate housing loans.

The spokesman said: 'It would be irresponsible of us to extend to (Madam Bagam) a loan she cannot afford, causing her to go into debt and further financial hardship.'

Madam Bagam's ex-husband pays about $300 for her younger daughter's monthly maintenance, but she said the money goes to her babysitter in Malaysia.

She spends another $300 on food for herself and her younger daughter every month.

But the North West Community Development Council has been giving her food vouchers since last month.

The HDB spokesman said: 'Going forward, (Madam Bagam) must now take responsibility to resolve her own family's housing and finances...

'The HDB will help to the extent that we can, but the individual must exercise financial responsibility and prudence.'

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,210950,00.html?

Why do needy refuse help?
August 20, 2009

IT'S not uncommon for those in need to turn down help from government agencies, social workers and counsellors told The New Paper.

Mr David Kan, the executive director of the Family Life Centre , said he has come across cases of needy people spurning employment opportunities that his centre helps to source.

He said: 'These can be one or two in five cases that we see.

'When we recommend them jobs, they will say it's not suitable for them, the hours are not good even though they are in a helpless situation.'

But Mr Kan noted that labelling such people as picky or fussy is not helpful.

'We have to examine the root causes. Some are fearful of taking up new challenges even though they are in a helpless situation,' he said.

'It's more than just the physical need. You need to look at the emotions, you need the confidence and readiness for change and adjustment.'

Such cases need to be referred to counsellors for help, he added.

Associate Professor Ngiam Tee Liang, from the department of social work at the National University of Singapore (NUS), observed that such people prefer the streets to a welfare home because they do not want to live with others or have restrictions imposed on them.

He said: 'The reasons could be logical, psychological or it could be a mental illness.'

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some people earnings millions a year, with pensions can't afford to retire.

The reasons could be logical, psychological or it could be a mental illness.

:oIo::oIo::oIo:

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
This case is similar but not note worthy. It's her own fault, wanting cash in her hand and then failed to plan ahead.

Lending 13k to a friend?? What a load of crap. Splitting the money with her husband was also due to her own stupidity.

So why are people paying attention to this story?

prince123456

Alfrescian
Loyal
i say she is smart

u stay housing .. u need to pay

utilities
phone line
town council
tv license

all this cost .. a lot..

so if i were her.. i would also do the same thing
i dont need anybody help
i rather buy a van and sleep.

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Destitute home is a prison. You are locked up until you die.

You are not allowed to own anything. You are restricted in the time you bathe, wash your hands and your arse.

"The reasons could be logical, psychological or it could be a mental illness."

Fuck the professor!

http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,210950,00.html?

Why do needy refuse help?
August 20, 2009

IT'S not uncommon for those in need to turn down help from government agencies, social workers and counsellors told The New Paper.

Mr David Kan, the executive director of the Family Life Centre , said he has come across cases of needy people spurning employment opportunities that his centre helps to source.

He said: 'These can be one or two in five cases that we see.

'When we recommend them jobs, they will say it's not suitable for them, the hours are not good even though they are in a helpless situation.'

But Mr Kan noted that labelling such people as picky or fussy is not helpful.

'We have to examine the root causes. Some are fearful of taking up new challenges even though they are in a helpless situation,' he said.

'It's more than just the physical need. You need to look at the emotions, you need the confidence and readiness for change and adjustment.'

Such cases need to be referred to counsellors for help, he added.

Associate Professor Ngiam Tee Liang, from the department of social work at the National University of Singapore (NUS), observed that such people prefer the streets to a welfare home because they do not want to live with others or have restrictions imposed on them.

He said: 'The reasons could be logical, psychological or it could be a mental illness.'

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
If she chooses to park her van in one of those Geylang free parking slots after 5pm for the night. She would probably be able to upgrade to a school bus in no time with room to spare.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
<<Until last December when she became a driver, she did not have a job. She also claimed to have lent $13,000 to a friend.>>

Another brainless person who deserve to get slammed! If u not alot of money, will u still lend $13,000 to ur frd?!

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The HDB spokesman said: 'When she sold her flat, (Madam Bagam) was in a good position to afford home ownership, given her proceeds and the fact that she was young and employable.'

Wah, even the HDB spokesman has fallen trap to his own propaganda. No one has home ownership in S'pore. They are all tenants, under HDB. So, what home ownership is this fucker talking about.