• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WOMAN CLAIMS: Bus driver let molester go

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,209263,00.html?

WOMAN CLAIMS: Bus driver let molester go
SBS SAYS: Driver told him to stay

August 01, 2009

NP_IMAGES_PSBUS-KBC.jpg

TOO CLOSE: Miss Ma's boyfriend, Eric, showing how the man allegedly touched her shoulder. PICTURE: LIANHE WANBAO

A BEAUTICIAN has claimed that after she was molested on a bus, her alleged attacker got away because the driver let him go.

Miss Ma Liyan, a 21-year-old Chinese national, alleged that the driver did this despite being told that she wanted to call the police.

The alleged incident happened on SBS service 7 travelling along Holland Road at about 10pm on 21Jul.

Miss Ma told Lianhe Wanbao that a man two seats in front of her suddenly turned around and greeted her.

She said he looked to be in his 30s, wore a dark-coloured short-sleeved shirt and reeked of alcohol.

When she did not reply, he made obscene gestures at her and taunted her for leaving China to work here, Miss Ma claimed.

As she continued ignoring him, he got up, walked over to her, touched her shoulder and pulled at her clothes.

Miss Ma said she burst into tears.

The bus driver, who had just stopped his vehicle at a bus stop, heard the commotion, stepped out of his cabin and approached them.

Miss Ma said the driver told the man to follow him to the front of the bus.

She claimed the two talked for a while before the driver opened the door to let the man off.

The man continued to make gestures at her until the bus pulled away, Miss Ma claimed.

Police report

She later filed a complaint with SBS Transit and made a police report.

A police spokesman confirmed the report and said investigations are ongoing.

When The New Paper called Miss Ma, she was busy with work. Her 23-year-old boyfriend, a Chinese national who wanted to be known only as Eric, corroborated her account over the phone.

He said they were upset with how the bus driver had handled the matter.

Replying to The New Paper's queries, SBS Transit's vice-president of corporate communications, Ms Tammy Tan, said that investigations - which included viewing CCTV footage from the bus - showed that the man had got off the bus by himself, and that the driver had not let him off.

'The bus captain heard a man talking loudly on the lower deck of the bus,' she said.

Ms Tan said the driver saw in his rear-view mirror that the man was bothering a female passenger seated two rows behind him.

'He also noted that the man had shown her some rude hand gestures,' she added.

Shortly after, the bus stopped near the Botanic Gardens for a passenger to board.

The footage showed the man stepping forward and speaking to the driver after Miss Ma asked the latter to alert the police.

The man pleaded with the driver not to call the police, Ms Tan said.

When the driver said it was not possible, the man got off the bus as the doors were open.

'The bus captain beckoned the man to get back on the bus while calling the Operations Control Centre,' Ms Tan said.

'Meanwhile, passengers on the upper deck hollered for the bus captain to continue with the journey.

'As the man had alighted, the bus captain continued with the journey as he assumed the lady would no longer require police assistance given that the man was no longer on board to disturb her.'

The driver was also 'unaware of any physical contact (between the man and Miss Ma) as no one had alerted him to this', Ms Tan added.

What are bus drivers supposed to do when a passenger reports a crime?

Ms Tan said the driver 'will detain the culprit and contact the Operations Control Centre for assistance'.

The centre will notify the police while a traffic inspector will be activated to go to the scene to provide support.

SMRT said its bus drivers can drive to the nearest police station to seek help.

Drivers are also 'taught to seek help from passengers to detain the offender', the SMRT spokesman added.

But lawyer Michael Palmer said that the bus driver was not legally obligated to detain Miss Ma's alleged molester.

He added that no civilian is legally obligated to detain a suspected culprit in any location under any circumstances.

Hoe Pei Shan, newsroom intern

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The man must must have an urgent appointment elsewhere. :smile:

If even our own police are ignoring so many "Civil matters", can we expect a poorly paid bus driver to risk a confrontation :rolleyes:

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
The bus driver is a smart guy. Why risk personal injury and death? Let the PAP led heroes do it. Why, we have our heroes leading an international task force in the effort to fight Somali pirates!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why, we have our heroes leading an international task force in the effort to fight Somali pirates!

Didn't the Spore pirate hunters return from Somali waters this week:confused:

Mission accomplished, job well done, .... , Spore has shown the world the Spore flag :biggrin: So how many pirates did they catch :confused:

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
F*cking 154th...... only report PRC side of story!

My barbecue sauce aka bus captain inform tat the cctv footage show guy asking PRC bitch to let him take the empty seat beside her...... when she ignored him and continue to chope both seats...... he try to force his way in when PRC bitch started @#$^%#@ him :(

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Didn't the Spore pirate hunters return from Somali waters this week:confused:

Mission accomplished, job well done, .... , Spore has shown the world the Spore flag :biggrin: So how many pirates did they catch :confused:

The fucking RSN should count themselves lucky they were not boarded and had their arses rammed! Fucking pussies. Once the shooting starts, they will cry like babies. Don't try to tell me about our special forces. They are good for shooting Pakistani hijackers armed with dining cutlery, with laser guided guns! For once I wish for a Black Hawk Down Confrontation to prove my point.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My barbecue sauce aka bus captain inform tat the cctv footage show guy asking PRC bitch to let him take the empty seat beside her...... when she ignored him and continue to chope both seats...... he try to force his way in when PRC bitch started @#$^%#@ him :(

I guess thats why there are few heroes in Spore. Heroes might become a zero when they are dragged to court :rolleyes: If you get hurt also might end up with a hefty medical bill

It is really different in Toronto. Personally witnessed an incident where a drunk started to hassle the bus driver, many of the passengers went to the drivers aid.:eek:

In my case when I had my accident in Edmonton had the neighbourhood come up to give assitance: had a doctor take my pulse, someone called an ambulance, someone else volunteered to look after my bicycle,..even had someone provide a pillow because I was lying on the road :eek::biggrin: It was such an amazing experience.

I salute the people of Canada for their hospitality :smile: