• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will Shanti Pereira do a Joseph Schooling - full of excuses?

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now, feel good.
What excuses when she crashed out?
- The pandemic meant that she did not have enough competitive races.
- She was extremely unfortunate to be in lane 1 (or 8), which as everyone knows, are the most difficult lanes
- Everything went well in the trials and training but somehow, it just wouldn't click at the actual race
- I think I ate something bad last night and had a stomach upset and did not sleep well last night
- I will take this as a learning experience (at taxpayers' expense) and I am sure I do better the next time (she wants to go to the next Olympics again at taxpayers' expense)
- I gave my best and I have no regrets!

Olympics: Singapore sprinter Shanti Pereira upbeat ahead of 200m race​

Shanti Pereira, who owns the national records in the women's 100m (11.58sec) and 200m (23.60sec), will take part in the 200m race at the Tokyo Games.

Shanti Pereira, who owns the national records in the women's 100m (11.58sec) and 200m (23.60sec), will take part in the 200m race at the Tokyo Games.PHOTO: ST FILE
saa2.png

Sazali Abdul Aziz
Correspondent

Aug 1, 2021

TOKYO - Singapore's top female sprinter Shanti Pereira says she is feeling "nervous, but good" ahead of Monday's (Aug 2) 200m heat at the Olympics.
The 24-year-old, who owns the national records in the women's 100m (11.58sec) and 200m (23.60sec), will take part only in the 200m race at the Tokyo Games.
She will race in one of the seven heats from 10.30am, and will be the first female sprinter from the Republic at the Games in 65 years. The last Singaporean women sprinters at the Olympics were Mary Klass (100m and 200m) and Janet Jesudason (100m) in Melbourne in 1956.
Pereira arrived in Tokyo on July 25 and has been acclimatising to the hot, dry Japanese summer, managing six sessions on the training track.
"We've just been fine-tuning some stuff," she told The Straits Times of the work she and coach Luis Cunha have done in Japan.
"The training itself is similar to what I did in Singapore the (previous) couple of weeks. We focused on quality and not as many sets… High intensity, high quality."

Asked how she felt after a week in Tokyo, she said: "Good! Nervous, but good."
She visited the 68,000-capacity Tokyo Olympic Stadium - which sadly will be devoid of fans because of the pandemic - the first day it was open to athletes, and was struck by how much it felt like home.
"I had the feels," she said, "and was like, 'Woah… It looks and feels so much like the (Singapore) Sports Hub... Everyone there that day was very excited, with the Olympic rings on the track and everything. The atmosphere was very nice."
Pereira said she and Cunha, 56, a Portuguese who raced at the 1988, 1992 and 1996 Olympics, walked an entire round of the track "to take it all in". Here, she has also been quietly absorbing lessons from some of the world's best.
Pereira has come across Jamaican stars Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, 34, and Elaine Thompson-Herah, 29, who retained her 100m gold on Saturday night, and American legend Allyson Felix, 35, several times on the track and in the dining halls. But she is less star-struck these days, and it was "not so much of a freak out", as she had also encountered them at the World Championships in Doha in 2019 and Beijing in 2015.
Still, she added: "It's really nice to be able to watch their warm-up routines, and because there are so many Olympic and world champions in one place, it's good for me to see and maybe pick up one or two (lessons) to better myself too.

rk_shanti-pereira2_010821.jpg
Shanti Pereira is feeling "nervous, but good" ahead of Monday's (Aug 2) 200m heat. ST PHOTO: KUA CHEE SIONG

"But at the same time, I don't want to get distracted because I'm doing my own training, so I mostly focus on myself (at the track)."
Before she departed Singapore, Pereira, who is in Tokyo on a universality place, told ST her goal at the Olympics was to take another step forward in her long-term goal with Cunha - who began coaching her in January 2020 - to lower both her 100m and 200m national records.
She reiterated this and said: "I want a good time, a personal best or something (near to it) that is good.
"But the fact I am here, I am already thankful. I am not going into (the heat) with too much expectation, and I want to focus on enjoying my race."

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
She's ugly I prefer the Ang Mohs because they are the best!

View attachment 118279
Lookism is a term that describes the discriminatory treatment of people who are considered physically unattractive. It occurs in a variety of settings, including dating, social environments, and workplaces.[1] Lookism has received less cultural attention than other forms of discrimination (such as racism and sexism) and typically does not have the legal protections that other forms often have, but it is still widespread and significantly affects people's opportunities in terms of romantic relationships, job opportunities, and other realms of life.[2]

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lookism is a term that describes the discriminatory treatment of people who are considered physically unattractive. It occurs in a variety of settings, including dating, social environments, and workplaces.[1] Lookism has received less cultural attention than other forms of discrimination (such as racism and sexism) and typically does not have the legal protections that other forms often have, but it is still widespread and significantly affects people's opportunities in terms of romantic relationships, job opportunities, and other realms of life.[2]
Are u ugly? :cautious:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

I plead guilty.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Shanti would still finish last in her heat even if she managed to equal her personal best of 23.60.

Olympics: Season best time for S'pore sprinter Shanti Pereira, but fails to make 200m semis​

Shanti Pereira finished sixth in heat 5 at the Tokyo Olympic Stadium.

Shanti Pereira finished sixth in heat 5 at the Tokyo Olympic Stadium.ST PHOTO: KUA CHEE SIONG
saa2.png

Sazali Abdul Aziz
Correspondent

Aug 2, 2021

TOKYO - Singapore's top female sprinter Shanti Pereira clocked a season best 23.96 seconds in her 200m heat at the Olympic Games on a scorching Monday (Aug 2) morning.
The 24-year-old finished sixth in heat 5 at the Tokyo Olympic Stadium, which was led by Anthonique Strachan of the Bahamas in 22.76. Jamaica's 100m bronze medallist Shericka Jackson finished fourth in 23.26.
Pereira, whose personal best of 23.60 set in 2015 is a national record, did not advance to Monday's semi-finals.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
She should enjoy it while she can, next time she will have no chance against transgender rivals. The IOC is 'woke' now.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sam <She's ugly I prefer the Ang Mohs because they are the best!>
What U See Is What U Get. That's the best Red Dot can offer.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Periera finished 39th out of 41 overall.

Now chut pattern:

1. "Moments earlier Pereira had clocked a season's best time of 23.96 seconds to finish sixth in heat 5."

That means Pereira was clocking above 24 seconds for the first half of 2021 and the SNOC still deemed that she could run a good race in Tokyo?

2. "Pereira said she was "quite happy" and "satisfied" at going under 24 seconds, having not run in a major race since the SEA Games in Philippines in December 2019."

Why SNOC allowed her to go to Tokyo when she has not raced competitively since Dec 2019? This is a waste of taxpayers' money.

And Pereira's goal was so low: to go below 24 seconds.

Olympics: S'pore sprinter Shanti Pereira happy with Tokyo experience, excited about 2022 meets​

1 of 2
dummy.gif

Shanti Pereira (second from left) finished sixth in heat 5 at the Tokyo Olympic Stadium in Tokyo, on Aug 2, 2021

Shanti Pereira (second from left) finished sixth in heat 5 at the Tokyo Olympic Stadium in Tokyo, on Aug 2, 2021ST PHOTO: KUA CHEE SIONG
saa2.png

Sazali Abdul Aziz
Correspondent

Aug 2, 2021

TOKYO - The world's fastest woman casually brushed shoulders with Singapore's quickest on Monday (Aug 2) morning at the Tokyo Olympic Stadium.
Just as she wrapped up her chat with the media at the mixed zone after her 200m heats race, the Republic's Shanti Pereira turned around to find two-time Olympic 100m champion Elaine Thompson-Herah of Jamaica passing through the narrow walkway just behind her.
Moments earlier Pereira had clocked a season's best time of 23.96 seconds to finish sixth in heat 5. The time, which was short of her national record of 23.60 set en route to winning gold at the 2015 SEA Games in Singapore, placed her 39th out of 41 overall.
Pereira said she was "quite happy" and "satisfied" at going under 24 seconds, having not run in a major race since the SEA Games in Philippines in December 2019.
She had clocked 23.72 in a Performance Trial race at the Home of Athletics in Kallang in November and asked if she was disappointed at not bettering that mark, she said: "It would have been ideal to do that or hit a (personal best), but considering everything I'm quite happy with this result."
Pereira's heat was led by Anthonique Strachan of the Bahamas in 22.76 sec, while Jamaica's 100m bronze medallist Shericka Jackson - third-fastest in the world over the distance this year - committed a terrible error where she eased up too much and was overhauled on the line to finish fourth in 23.26 sec and surprisingly missed the cut for the semi-finals.

Jackson did not bother to glance across and almost came to a stop as Italy's Dalia Kaddari slipped four-thousandths of a second in front of her to snatch the third automatic slot.
For 24-year-old Pereira, who is ranked 370th in the world and competed in Tokyo on a universality place - previously known as a wildcard - getting the opportunity to share the same stage with some of the world's top sprinters was a thrill.
While she said it was "easy to get distracted" by the big names, she added: "I know I won't be the top (runner) here for sure, so for me it really is just about focusing on myself."
Pereira added she felt she executed her race well for the most part but declined to delve too far into analysing it, saying she needed to consult coach Luis Cunha first.
Regardless, she believes her Olympic adventure, which she has "embraced" has already put her in good stead ahead of a busy 2022 in which the SEA Games, Asian Games, World Championships and Commonwealth Games are all scheduled.
"I'm just thankful I got to race (in a major meet) this year," she said. "Under the circumstances, and that it's the Olympics, it's crazy. I get to experience the atmosphere, the stadium, the heats, everything.
"Hopefully it's a good way to prepare for all the competitions next year."

Last edited: