• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why would you buy structured investments?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have been pondering for the last few weeks why in the world would the man in the street buy structured investments other than for the higher interest?

Really puzzling when no one I know from family, friends, associates, ex-work mates, present colleagues, ex-classmates etc have invested in it. They are into fd, gold, local and foreign equity, forex, unit trusts, bonds etc but no structured investments.

Apparently MAS attempted to find within its staff anyone who purchased to relate their experience to help in the investgation but could find none.

Any of you guys can relate any cases that you have come across?

I also understand that such products are not offered to retail customers in most developed countries. Only to high net worth and financial institutions.

masgnoeL

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are two words here.
Structured
Deposit

Structured - Defines the manner the investor is paid or penalized and contains its own contractual terms and conditions which relates only to its own.

Deposit - It looks like a deposit since traditionally, a deposit requires a period of time for it to mature and if withdrawn earlier, the investor suffers a loss.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
probably goes like this -

old person - i wanna renew my FD ...

cashier - ok, the rates are x% pa ...

old person - lower than previous ! aiya so low ...

cashier - uncle/auntie, i can show u something that earns higher interest ... takes out minibond/high notes brochure ... calls out to reln manager ...

reln manager - (ready to pounce, hee hee, gonna meet my sales target leow !)

old person - is this safe, not like shares/unit trusts ahh ... ?

reln manager - definitely safe ...

old person - i put minimum amount try out lah ...

reln manager - put the entire amount lah ! then u can see substantial gains(sales target, sales target, else boss will kick my arse) ...

as they say, the rest is history ...