• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why sack me before verdict? Now, former technician jobless despite being cleared

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,191102,00.html?

Why sack me before verdict?
Now, former technician jobless despite being cleared of charge
By Desmond Ng

January 29, 2009

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_DNSACK.jpg

TNP PICTURE: KELVIN CHNG

IT'S bad enough to be charged with receiving stolen goods.

But it's even worse when you get sacked for that, even before the court judgment.

Former Singapore Airlines technician Rajasegaran Balakrishnan, 34, has since been cleared by the High Court.

Before his trouble with the law, he had been with SIA Engineering for 11 years.

Two weeks ago, Mr Raja walked out of court a free man, but with little to celebrate because he's now jobless.

He is doing odd-jobs now to support his two sons, aged 7 and 8. He is divorced and has custody of his children.

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_DNSACK-APV.jpg

TERMINATED: The letter that Mr Raja received from SIA just days after he was arrested.

He said he is still puzzled about why he was fired by his employer on 2 Nov 2007, even before his case was heard in court.

A Singapore Airlines employee, Mr Clement Louis Arokiasamy Joseph, was also dismissed in similar fashion while he was remanded in prison on a corruption charge, for which he was subsequently cleared.

Mr Raja's troubles started when he accepted three jerry cans of stolen cough mixture from a colleague for safekeeping on 29 Oct 2007.

His colleague - who was subsequently charged with theft in dwelling - had stolen the cough mixture from a clinic at the SIA Airline House the day before.

Mr Raja was arrested on 30 Oct 2007 and charged with dishonestly receiving stolen property.

Not aware of theft

But he maintained that he didn't know or suspect that the cough syrup was stolen.

He was fined $3,000 in default of three weeks' jail in the Subordinate Courts last April by District Judge Kamala Ponnampalam.

He appealed and was cleared of the charge by the High Court, which upheld his appeal.

Mr Raja said: 'I am innocent. My reputation and name is at stake. I know I am clean. And I don't want a criminal record to my name.'

Because of his job loss and financial hardship, Mr Raja was granted free legal aid by the Law Society under the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme.

He was represented by lawyers Tan Hee Joek and Foo Yuet Min from Drew and Napier.

As an aircraft technician, Mr Raja earned about $3,000 a month, including overtime allowances.

Now, he earns about $40 to $50 a day loading and unloading goods - hardly enough to support hisfamily.

He said that he received his termination letter via registered mail.

There were no calls from his supervisors or human resource officers from the company, he said.

'I was shocked. I didn't know what to do. I am a single parent, divorced with two children. How am I supposed to take care of my kids if I've no job?'

The family lives in a four-room flat in Hougang.

His termination letter said he was charged in court for breaking into the Airline House clinic, which was incorrect, claimed Mr Raja.

He was charged with dishonestly receiving stolen property and claimed he was on leave the day the office was broken into.

The letter also mentioned that he had failed to report for work since 31 Oct 2007.

Mr Raja explained that he couldn't report to work because he had to go to the police station to help with investigations.

He had also surrendered his airport passes to the police on 1 Nov.

Boss informed

He said: 'The human resources division would have known what was going on. I also told my boss and my operations manager about my situation and that my passes had been confiscated.

'They just told me to wait for the case to be over.'

His car, a Hyundai Matrix, was repossessed in December 2007 because he was unable to pay the monthly payment of $500.

He is now paying off the balance of $17,000 owed to a finance company.

Mr Raja said he had applied for more than 20 jobs, but had not been called for any interviews.

'It's unfair to be sacked when I had not even had my say in court yet. I think it's unreasonable that they just terminate me like that even though I've been with the company for so long,' he said.

When contacted, Singapore Airlines said its policy was not to comment on former employees.

Mr David Ang, executive director of the Singapore Human Resources Institute, said a company must have good reason to sack an employee before a court judgment.

Usually, if an employee has been arrested or is in remand, the employer should wait until the verdict is out, especially if the employee has no criminal record.

He said: 'Normally, we have to give some benefit of the doubt to the employee. Even if the employee has been charged, it could be a wrongful charge.

'The employer should wait until things get settled. The dismissal could be a bit too premature.'

If the employee is working in a sensitive area, the company could ask him to go on either paid or unpaid leave until the case is settled, he added.

Mr Ang said that in a normal employment contract, if an employee is continuously absent from work for 72 hours without informing his supervisor or company, then he'll could be liable for dismissal.

He said that Mr Raja could seek help from the Ministry of Manpower if he feels that he has been unfairly dismissed.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another sacked employee

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,191101,00.html?

ANOTHER SACKED EMPLOYEE
Court rules he didn't do enough to tell SIA of situation
January 29, 2009

A FORMER employee sued Singapore Airlines after it sacked him for being absent without leave for more than two days without a reasonable excuse in1997.

Mr Clement Louis Arokiasamy Joseph, who was an in-flight services officer, had missed work because he was remanded in prison on a corruption charge, for which he was subsequently cleared, The Straits Times reported in 2004.

He had worked for SIA for 23 years.

Mr Joseph, who represented himself in the earlier stages of the suit, had argued that SIA was wrong to sack him because it knew or must have known why he had not reported for work.

He asked the court to declare the termination letter dated 5 Mar 1997 null and void and sought damages for loss of salary.

Mr Joseph filed the suit against SIA in 1997, but put it on hold as he tried to get the SIA Staff Union to take his case to the Industrial Arbitration Court.

When that failed, he tried to revive the original suit, but it was denied.

He appealed to the High Court, which allowed his case to be heard.

He lost his case after the matter was heard before a district court in 2003.

The court said that under the Employment Act, an employer may terminate a contract of service if the employee did not inform or attempt to inform the employer of an excuse for his absence.

And Mr Joseph, according to the court, did not do enough to tell the company why he did not show up for work, so SIA was entitled to end his contract.

He failed in a subsequent appeal to the High Court in 2004 and filed a notice of appeal against that decision.

His notice of appeal was struck out in April 2004 after SIA's lawyers said he did not get permission from the High Court or the Court of Appeal to file it.

His lawyers then sought permission from the Court of Appeal to file a new notice of appeal.

However, then-Chief Justice Yong Pung How, Judge of Appeal Chao Hick Tin and Justice Tan Lee Meng dismissed it and ordered him to pay costs of$2,500.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure SIA will countered a different reason for sacking....perhaps due to underperformance.

:o :( :o

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure SIA will countered a different reason for sacking....perhaps due to underperformance.

:o :( :o

Is it a coincidence both are indians?:p
SIA will have a lot to answer if it was
in some other countries where charges
of racial discrimination will be brought in.:biggrin:

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since Mr Raja was acquited of the charge, SIA should re-consider taking him once again as an employee.

It is not as though he is a thief and got off on a technicality.

He was actually deemed not guilty by a Judge of the High Court.

How much more impartial and independent can that be?

Perhaps SIA can review and reconsider his case in the light of his innocence.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
since mr raja was acquited of the charge, sia should re-consider taking him once again as an employee.

It is not as though he is a thief and got off on a technicality.

He was actually deemed not guilty by a judge of the high court.

How much more impartial and independent can that be?

Perhaps sia can review and reconsider his case in the light of his innocence.

sia boh lui leow. Still want to employ him?

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indians are hire because of low pricing. That's about it !

And they are a troublesome lot ~!

You be worried if you got too many of them

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
sia boh lui leow. Still want to employ him?

Well, a $50,000 total pay package inclusive of employers' CPF and employee's benefits will not make a dent to SIA's expenses but it means a lot to a person who is wrongly sacked.

At the least, offer a one-year renewal contract to him to see if he is still worth the employment.

But then if SIA is really that affected, then that is a different matter.

I remembered that SIA was a firm believer in sustainable growth and zero borrowings at a time when companies were borrowing like crazy. If they still have this philosophy today (i do not know) then they will be quite resilent.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is it a coincidence both are indians?:p
SIA will have a lot to answer if it was
in some other countries where charges
of racial discrimination will be brought in.:biggrin:

There are many kelings here in high places too and they squander away the money. Durai the Durian snake is such an example.