• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Pledge at 8.22pm?

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,209916,00.html?

S'pore's 44th Birthday
Why Pledge at 8.22pm?
Timing just right for NDP show, says exco chairman
By Veena Bharwani

August 09, 2009

WHY 8.22pm?

That's the big question surrounding The Pledge Moment.

To mark Singapore's 44th birthday tomorrow, the plan is for every Singaporean islandwide to stop what they are doing and recite the Pledge together.

But why not a more symbolic time like 8.09pm, in keeping with the date , 9 Aug? Or why not 8.44pm to mark Singapore's 44th birthday?

The chairman of the National Day Parade (NDP) executive committee, Brigadier-General Tan Chuan-Jin, 40, said: 'We did think of 8.44, but it was a bit too late in the NDP show. We also thought of 8.09 in honour of 9 Aug, but that would have been too early on in the show.

'As the parade started shaping up, it looked as if it would take place around 8.20pm. We thought why not 8.22pm? It has a nice ring to it.'

He added: 'The comedian Irene Ang also mentioned that 8.22 is symbolic.

'Eight divided by two is four. And it is Singapore's 44th birthday.'

He said in the early stages of the planning, the committee did not expect The Pledge Moment to mushroom from something that would take place in front of the 27,000-odd spectators at the parade to an islandwide event.

Broadcast online

Even Singaporeans overseas at various locations will have the chance to say the Pledge at that precise moment. The parade will be broadcast live on the ChannelNewsAsia website.

In Singapore, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) will sound a chime at exactly 8.22pm to mark the start of The Pledge Moment, inviting citizens who are not at the parade to recite the Pledge.

Five years back, the idea started as a joke among BG Tan and his colleagues. BG Tan said in his blog on the NDP website that the idea came from his late friend Colonel Bernard Tan.

Said BG Tan on his blog: 'Bernard once had a hare-brained idea where we would set off the Civil Defence sirens and have a magical moment when the country would come to a halt and recite the Pledge together.'

Col Tan died in March 2006 after collapsing at the end-point of the Singapore Biathlon.

He was 39.

It was only when BG Tan became the chairman of the exco last year that he started to work towards The Pledge Moment.

He said: 'As things moved along, we thought, let's just ask SCDF if they could sound the chimes to signal the moment. We also got a lot of support from the community.'

So far, 714 partners, including shopping centres and major food outlets, have come on board in support.

The Pledge will be broadcast over their public announcement systems and the respective managers will lead both staff and customers in taking the Pledge.

So the far-fetched idea that was once a joke among army buddies took on a life of its own.

'Of course, we realised that we have a record-breaking event on our hands,' he added, laughing. 'You know how we Singaporeans are with numbers and breaking records.'

But he said he didn't want to turn it into a numbers game. Indeed, there is no way of knowing how many people will actually pause and take the Pledge at 8.22pm.

'Essentially, it is more important to say the Pledge together rather than worrying about how many people will do it.'

He also accepts that many Singaporeans may choose not to say it.

'Honestly, it would not be a loss. It is about the journey all of us took as Singaporeans to get to this point, and not only about the moment itself.

'Saying the Pledge doesn't make you more or less patriotic. It is a symbol, just like hanging the Singapore flag outside your flat.'

DOM the Clown

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here's my pledge at 8:22pm......​

animated-finger.gif

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess it's an advice from Lee's fengshui master - to get the "energy" from 4.5 m ppl so as to prolong Lee's power and to win big in coming GE.
It's a plot.

jim007jimmyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess it's an advice from Lee's fengshui master - to get the "energy" from 4.5 m ppl so as to prolong Lee's power and to win big in coming GE.
It's a plot.

lanjiao the only way he can prolong his satanic life is to fuck with Satan himself!

U

UpYoz_olo

Here's my pledge at 8:22pm......​

animated-finger.gif

You LeongSam fucker, I gonna port you to the authorities! You better be scared! The pooris, arhmi and ISD will up your arse real soon!

:oIo::oIo::oIo:

gerard126333

Alfrescian
Loyal
You LeongSam fucker, I gonna port you to the authorities! You better be scared! The pooris, arhmi and ISD will up your arse real soon!