• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why is This Letter NOT Published by 154th in Print?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>No thanks: Why commuter hasn't taken a train in two years
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I HAVE not taken the MRT for almost two years. Why? The simple reason is that there are no vacant seats. And now the recent news that SMRT will remove more seats to make room for standing passengers makes me not want to take MRT even more.
It is not that I cannot in the MRT, but to me it is more about how comfortable the journey is, and not just reaching my destination. I am sure many Singaporeans will feel the same way I do.
If we buy a car, we have to consider factors like Electronic Road Pricing. If we take a taxi, we have to think of the surcharges. Therefore buses and the MRT are more affordable modes of transport. However, the reason SMRT gives for creating more standing room by removing more seats is ridiculous as it will only benefit SMRT by squeezing in more passengers so it can make more profits.
It is not as if, with fewer seats, fares will go down. In fact, they will go up as the year goes by, with SMRT citing higher costs. My suggestion is that if SMRT cannot manage so many passengers, it should increase frequency even more. If three minutes is not good enough, make less than three minutes. This is what I call a world-class transport system, not making passengers squeeze like sardines. Camillus Yap

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
I won't publish it even if I am an editor of a mosquito magazine.

The letter ought to be thrown into the recycle bin - or made into a paper aeroplane - without a second thought - it has no value, no insightful comments, said what has already been said millions of times, and can be easily debunked.

For example, "The simple reason is that there are no vacant seats." Why whenever I take MRT train I can find seats - not peak hours of course - there are sufficient empty seats in buses and trains all over the world for that matter. In my case I prefer not to sit because I get better view of outside and rocking on standing position is kind of a fun - compared to sitting in enclosed cloistered car.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I won't publish it even if I am an editor of a mosquito magazine.

For example, "The simple reason is that there are no vacant seats." Why whenever I take MRT train I can find seats - not peak hours of course - there are sufficient empty seats in buses and trains all over the world for that matter. In my case I prefer not to sit because I get better view of outside and rocking on standing position is kind of a fun - compared to sitting in enclosed cloistered car.

The writer is talking about peak hours where everyone is rushing. Who cares much about off peak or casual outings? And of course you won't mind standing but have you considered the plight of a handicaaped, aged or pregnanat person who does not have any seat?