• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What our youth wants from NMP

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reading this reminds me that I used to be navie too.

20090728.124244_edunmps.jpg

New faces can drive youth to take action

Inspire us to care more

MY PEERS and I face one problem: We are often too self-absorbed to care about the world around us.

As such, I would like the newly elected NMPs to highlight measures we can adopt to encourage youth to become more involved with charities and social causes.

On paper, probably everybody has done at least a short stint of charity work. However, most of this was only to fulfil compulsory volunteer work hours at school.

Many of us cease once we fulfil those requirements or leave school.

Although I got involved in some volunteer work in my last year of university, I could have done a lot more.

Why the failure to go beyond the required hours? Perhaps the local charities do not reach out enough to potential volunteers like us.

Or maybe it's due to the stressful nature of our education system, coupled with the prevailing obsession with academic success, that keeps students trapped in a bubble of sorts.

The NMPs have to address these root causes and suggest solutions to these problems.

The benefits of nipping this problem in the bud are enormous. An avid youth volunteer gains a clearer perspective of life and develops a sense of empathy towards his fellow men. These things can't be learnt in a classroom.

Jonathan Kwok, 24, has graduated with honours in economics from the National University of Singapore (NUS).

Fire up youth sports

THE Asian Youth Games have come and gone, and all credit to our young athletes for having put on a rousing performance.

But they might have done even better if a greater proportion of youth actually supported them at live events.

This does not bode well for the Youth Olympic Games that Singapore is hosting next year.

If we youth are not fully behind our young athletes for a continental competition, how will we fare at an international one?

I put the collective lack of passion for local sports down to sedentary lifestyles. I myself lack the passion to even jog regularly or go swimming.

My peers and I have become so addicted to technology and studies that we are largely oblivious to the benefits that sports can offer.

This is where NMPs like Ms Joscelin Yeo, a former sportswoman herself, can contribute.

She could be a poster girl for making sports an integral part of every young person's life. She could exemplify the values of discipline and sportsmanship that come with indulging in sports.

From chairing community sharing sessions with sporting associations and schools, to sharing her own experiences as a form of inspiration, the possibilities are immense.

I believe that she can persuade more youth - like me - to not just take up more sports, but support local sporting events as well, hence putting us in good stead for the Youth Olympics.

Jonathan Liautrakul, 19, has a place to read arts and social sciences at NUS.

Speak the inconvenient truth

IN THESE challenging times, we need to tackle contemporary problems that will be inherited by the younger generation - us.

Global warming is one such problem.

Although Singapore's contribution to global emissions is small compared to other industrialised nations', we still have a moral responsibility to do our part to work against climate change.

With sea levels predicted to rise by between 18cm and 59cm by the year 2100, tiny Singapore has a vested interest in stemming the rising tides.

In fact, a four-year study commissioned by the United Nations and World Bank reported last year that climate change is causing irreversible damage to farmland.

Since Singapore imports almost all of its food, we cannot turn a blind eye to this problem any more.

I think NMPs are particularly well positioned to offer ideas that can mitigate the crisis. They are fresh on the job and can provide external perspectives and alternative opinions. So there's no better time than now for them to highlight the issue of global warming.

Ow Yeong Wai Kit, 20, has a place to read arts and social sciences at NUS.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
It never ceases to surprise me that Singaporeans do not know how to change, yet no wonder they lament they can't change anything. Many of them I heard from are those who are pretty informed about politics, so I am doubtful about whether they are interested in change or merely interested in politics.

NMPs can't change anything, even with Siew Kum Hong. You will see change come when one party holds 60% of the seats maximum. The political situation will self-correct.

Siew should be encouraged to run for election by his fans, who outnumber opposition supporters combined.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
To add, the NMP system has changed the system the least and fans of the system (and you'll be surprised how many opposition supporters are among them) can only point to Walter Woon's bill as the only example. As if the PAP chose to lift the whip at the particular session, the guy's subsequent appointment as AG and no other NMP has since passed any bill was coincidence.

The opposition's presence on the other hand scares the PAP to no end because they are worried about not having them and having them and how much of them to have every other time.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i am looking forward to next olympic in canada, maybe i should visit it finally. i mean canada.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. sinkies, pls dream on that nmps can "change".
2. no authority, change what man!
3. since its inauguration, what and where are the changed made?
4. just a bunch of individuals with privileged background not knowing how to make the first buck and pour out such crap.
5. nmp is not even some "figurehead" but a plain speaker that not many bother to listen.
6. try the coffee ads gal, what had she accomplish since her days?
7. what a joke! young sinkies, wake up and smell the coffee.
8. everything is structured and positioned, nothing is touched or moved, get it!

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi there

1. sinkies, pls dream on that nmps can "change".
2. no authority, change what man!
3. since its inauguration, what and where are the changed made?
4. just a bunch of individuals with privileged background not knowing how to make the first buck and pour out such crap.
5. nmp is not even some "figurehead" but a plain speaker that not many bother to listen.
6. try the coffee ads gal, what had she accomplish since her days?
7. what a joke! young sinkies, wake up and smell the coffee.
8. everything is structured and positioned, nothing is touched or moved, get it!

Well said. Unfortunately I observed that most participants in the nonPAP political circle are the nonpartisans and they bought it while they are opposed to the NCMP, perhaps because they gained greatly from Siew Kum Hong's favours.

I am opposed to the NCMP but less opposed to it than the NMP.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
To add, opposition candidates are given NCMP seats after they narrowly lose an election. No opposition can aim to win NCMP seats because you would not know if you are going to get exactly 45%, not more not less, and then be best loser and that someone else doesn't get 46%. I would think most would still aim to win and that beats NCMP in every way.

However despite the larger numbers no NMP except Chia Shi Teck had run for elections. Expectedly he ran as independent. There's no chance other NMPs, including Siew, will do the same, so they are basically stuck with NMPs or nothing which is a tacit endorsement of the scheme.

Last edited: