• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

US mock 9/11 training goes awry

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Military jet crashes in California suburb, three dead

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - - Three people were killed and one remained missing after a US F/A-18 fighter jet slammed into a densely populated residential neighborhood in California on Monday, officials said.

The accident occurred shortly before midday (2000 GMT) when the two-seater plane spiraled out of control and crashed into two homes in the University City suburb of San Diego, officials said.

The pilot of the aircraft, which had been taking part in a training exercise and was approaching the Marine Corps Air Station in Miramar when it crashed, ejected safely and landed in the grounds of a nearby school.

Plumes of thick white smoke billowed from the crash site, where dozens of firefighters battled to extinguish flames amid the charred wreckage of two homes in the leafy neighborhood.

The fatalities were confirmed at a mid-afternoon press conference attended by San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders, police, fire and military officials.

"Our hearts go out to the victims," Sanders told reporters.

The victims bodies were found in the scorched rubble of the crash site. The identities of the victims were not revealed but local media said a grandmother, a mother and two children lived in the house that was hit.

Reports said the mother and one of the children had died but the third victim was unidentified.

The exact cause of the accident was not known but Steve Diamond, a former military instructor who witnessed the crash, said the downed pilot told him the plane suffered a mechanical problem.

The pilot was flying quite low in the moments before he ejected, Diamond said. "Other than that, there was no overt indication of any kind of catastrophic failure," he added.

The pilot appeared to be unhurt, he added. "Turns out that after he extracted himself from the tree, he was OK. He was in good shape."

Another eyewitness told a local television reporter that the plane had spiraled out of control like a scene from 1986 movie "Top Gun," the hit film about a US Navy fighter pilot played by Tom Cruise.

"It just spiraled right out of 'Top Gun'. It came flying down. My mother screamed," the man said, reporting that he had seen the plane's pilot after he landed in a tree at a nearby school playing field.

"He just looked like he was dazed like 'Oh, my God, what happened over civilian air space?'," he said.

Pia Mantovani-Sud told the San Diego Tribune she had been inside her house on the street where the plane crashed when she heard the jet crash.

"I heard a boom boom boom ... I came out and saw my neighbor's house on fire," she told the paper's website.

Resident Nora Bhes added: "It sounded like a thunderstorm with a real screech at the end of it."