• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Unfair to charge flat fee for chequebooks

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Unfair to charge flat fee for chequebooks
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I PAY bills and other personal expenses by cheque. This is one way I manage cash outflow and keep track of my expenses.
My bank charges an administrative fee of $10 for every new chequebook issued. Granted, each chequebook is sent to me by post, which is an added service provided by the bank.
At first, I thought the $10 was just for postage, but I was told that it was a flat fee charged to all customers regardless of delivery mode.
Is this a standard practice and why are there no alternatives? I am sure if customers are given collection or delivery options, with a different cost attached to each, they can decide for themselves.
Chong Kwong Min

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why do people bother to complain about POSB :confused:
Have complaints ever moved these GLCs ? Just close the account & move on.

I get free chequing with Citibank. The minimum is more than $1500 but you get other advantages like short queues, phone banking, ...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Unfair to charge flat fee for chequebooks
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I PAY bills and other personal expenses by cheque. This is one way I manage cash outflow and keep track of my expenses.
My bank charges an administrative fee of $10 for every new chequebook issued. Granted, each chequebook is sent to me by post, which is an added service provided by the bank.
At first, I thought the $10 was just for postage, but I was told that it was a flat fee charged to all customers regardless of delivery mode.
Is this a standard practice and why are there no alternatives? I am sure if customers are given collection or delivery options, with a different cost attached to each, they can decide for themselves.
Chong Kwong Min

In the past, one have to pay STAMP DUTY for each cheque, forgotten how much it was?, was it 05cts or 10cts.

That means, a cheque book of 50 cheques, pne pay S$5.00 in stamp duty, plus the cost of a cheque book ( i think so) plus postage & handling.

But you have good relationship with the bank, like a big fat amount in Fixed Deposits & deposits...they will waive all charges.

So, what is this person grumbling about...$10 ..chaep lah!...move on!:p

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually, it's surprising that charging fees for chequebooks in Singapore is practised by DBS instead of Citibank. This practice originates from the US where banks require accountholders to pay for printing and delivering checkbooks. The accountholders can choose to use the bank's printer or other printers authorized to print checkbooks, i.e. can also choose from various designs or even customized designs of checks. Checkbooks are ordered in terms of boxes of hundreds of checks.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The accountholders can choose to use the bank's printer or other printers authorized to print checkbooks,......

With todays technology making & process cheques is trivial

I remember the branch at Funan(now closed) had a machine that printed cheques while you waited.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With todays technology making & process cheques is trivial

I remember the branch at Funan(now closed) had a machine that printed cheques while you waited.

Yes, that was a very good service provided by POSB (and free). The self-service chequebook printing machines were available in Funan, MacPherson and other major branches. However, after DBS took over POSB, this service was discontinued and the machines removed.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, that was a very good service provided by POSB (and free). ....

I've kept my POSB account for 20+ years but I think its time to close it.

Looks like they're not really interested in small time savers. When Maybank's minimum requirement is only $200 compared to POSB $500, its obvious they want to discard the poorer savers :rolleyes: