• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Turning 32 with a fatal genetic disorder

EunoiaJAYCEE

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE - It took Madam Lim Sock Leng and her husband almost a full year to accept that their second son had a fatal genetic disorder.

At the age of five, Mr Timothy Chan was diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy - which causes progressive muscle deterioration and loss - after his parents noticed that he kept falling over.

Life expectancy for those with the condition varies - some die in their teens, others make it to their early 30s.

The rare disorder is diagnosed in about one in 3,500 male births worldwide.

Madam Lim, who had two other sons and a daughter by the time Mr Chan was diagnosed, said: "We wrote to a doctor in the United States and he was very kind to write back to me to confirm that the condition is incurable; but he said they were doing a lot of research on it and to not lose hope.

"We've waited almost 30 years now, there's still no cure for muscular dystrophy."

Still, the 61-year-old human resources and regulatory director at M1 and her husband resolved to raise their son as normally as possible without mentioning that his condition is fatal.

They enrolled Mr Chan in mainstream schools and let him walk for as long as possible - he had to use a wheelchair by the time he entered secondary school.

While Mr Chan, who turns 32 in August, was upset to learn that his life would be cut short, he told The Straits Times that his parents helped him deal with the challenges of his condition.

He said: "Initially, it was quite tough (to get weaker) because obviously I wanted to do everything else my peers were doing, and I felt very ashamed when people saw that I couldn't walk properly or had to use a wheelchair."

"But what has helped me is the way my mum and dad raised me. They've always tried to let me do everything that my siblings could do, even encouraging me to pursue my interests in things like design and chess."

Undeterred by his poor results at the A levels, Mr Chan pursued design at Ngee Ann Polytechnic after a gap year and enrolled in Nanyang Technological University, where he graduated with a degree in product design with honours.

But being unable to move his arms without a helper made it hard to work and he had to quit his job at a robotics maintenance company.

More at https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/parenting-education/turning-32-with-a-fatal-genetic-disorder

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chew Chor Meng had the same. He prayed fervently and it seems his condition is now cured? He even talked about it alot. Which church is that?

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE - It took Madam Lim Sock Leng and her husband almost a full year to accept that their second son had a fatal genetic disorder.

At the age of five, Mr Timothy Chan was diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy - which causes progressive muscle deterioration and loss - after his parents noticed that he kept falling over.

Life expectancy for those with the condition varies - some die in their teens, others make it to their early 30s.

The rare disorder is diagnosed in about one in 3,500 male births worldwide.

Madam Lim, who had two other sons and a daughter by the time Mr Chan was diagnosed, said: "We wrote to a doctor in the United States and he was very kind to write back to me to confirm that the condition is incurable; but he said they were doing a lot of research on it and to not lose hope.

"We've waited almost 30 years now, there's still no cure for muscular dystrophy."

Still, the 61-year-old human resources and regulatory director at M1 and her husband resolved to raise their son as normally as possible without mentioning that his condition is fatal.

They enrolled Mr Chan in mainstream schools and let him walk for as long as possible - he had to use a wheelchair by the time he entered secondary school.

While Mr Chan, who turns 32 in August, was upset to learn that his life would be cut short, he told The Straits Times that his parents helped him deal with the challenges of his condition.

He said: "Initially, it was quite tough (to get weaker) because obviously I wanted to do everything else my peers were doing, and I felt very ashamed when people saw that I couldn't walk properly or had to use a wheelchair."

"But what has helped me is the way my mum and dad raised me. They've always tried to let me do everything that my siblings could do, even encouraging me to pursue my interests in things like design and chess."

Undeterred by his poor results at the A levels, Mr Chan pursued design at Ngee Ann Polytechnic after a gap year and enrolled in Nanyang Technological University, where he graduated with a degree in product design with honours.

But being unable to move his arms without a helper made it hard to work and he had to quit his job at a robotics maintenance company.

More at https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/parenting-education/turning-32-with-a-fatal-genetic-disorder
We are all on limited time. It really doesn't matter whether it's longer or shorter.

If it's allotted to you, make the best out of it. Fuck the rest of the world. Don't compare.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
This top scoring footballer died of same disease. Mokntar dahari.
In those days, jiu hu used yo beat douth korea and Japan. E erything in the country is crumbling including sports.

Mokhtar began having throat problems and went to the hospital to find out what the problem was. Doctors diagnosed him as having motor neurone disease (MND) with the discovery only being told to him and his wife.[12] He then went to London with his wife in an attempt to cure his condition. After three years battling the disease and his condition worsening, Mokhtar died at the Subang Jaya Medical Centre (SJMC) on 11 July 1991.[12] The press reported Mokhtar's suffering from muscular dystrophy as the cause of his death. His body was laid to rest at Taman Keramat Permai Muslim Cemetery in Taman Keramat, Ampang, Selangor.[12] His life journey and the real cause of death was only revealed for the first time in a documentary called "The Untold Truth About Supermokh" in the National Geographic Channel on 30 August 2010, about 19 years after his death.[24]