• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

TrueHearts Show raises $3.3 million for charity

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/show/story/0,4136,204497,00.html?

Lads draw CROWDS
Ladies draw MONEY
TrueHearts Show raises $3.3 million for charity
By Yeoh Wee Teck

June 09, 2009

NP_IMAGES_YETRUE-NG2.jpg

TNP DESIGN: PRADIP KUMAR SIKDAR PICTURE: THE STRAITS TIMES

THE boys were definitely the big draw.

Last night at the TrueHearts Show - beamed live from HDB Hub in Toa Payoh on Channel 8 - Taiwanese pop star Show Luo, 29, and MediaCorp's hottest new star Dai Yang Tian drew lusty screams.

The mere mention of their names drove their fans wild. The 4,000 strong-crowd roared their approval.

By the end of the show - around 10pm - when the crowd had thinned slightly, these fans showed no signs of stopping.

Student Missy Chiam, 17, said she sacrificed a night of revision to catch a glimpse of Yang Tian.

'It's very hot but it is worth it. He's so handsome,' she said.

It was slightly embarrassing for the girls.

When Show's name was mentioned pre-show, it was met with a glass rattling scream.

For Little Nyonya star Jeanette Aw's name, the screams became a whimper.

When it came to getting the donations, the boys had to step aside for the women.

They may not get the lusty screams, but they sure got the donation calls.

Veterans Stella Chang and Tang Lan Hua, in particular, raked in the dough.

About $3.3 million was raised during the show last night, and the two women contributed more than 20 per cent of it.

Not bad for stars who had to share a dressing room and who were nearly forgotten in the crush to get to the two hot boys.

When asked, Yang Tian fan Missy replied defensively: 'I'll be calling (the donation hotline) after the show. It's too noisy now.'

'Almost 60' Taiwanese singer Lan Hua - regal and classy backstage - is a frequent visitor to Singapore for her church work, but it was the first time she is here for a televised charity show.

She said: 'I've been retired 20 years and at this stage of my life, charity and church work are my priorities.'

Miss Agnes Low, 61, hasn't made a donation to a charity show in a 'long while'.

But for Lan Hua, she did.

She said: 'I haven't seen her for so long, and because I got to see her again, I'm making that call.'

Fans' reaction

Lan Hua was surprised by her fans' reaction but it doesn't mark a comeback.

She explained: 'I don't miss show business because I've seen every side of it.

'Besides, this is an industry for youngsters.'

Modelling agency owner Bhakt Ye said 43-year-old singer Stella gave the best performance of the night.

He said: 'The ladies brought back the good old days.'

Still, let's not dismiss the boys.

Show donated US$10,000 ($14,600) from his own pocket, while his fan club donated $1,500.

He had a special reason for it. He has seen his parents struggle for money.

He promised himself to do well to support his family from then on.

Now that he has a booming career as one of Taiwan's biggest stars, he is shifting his attention towards less fortunate children.

He said: 'I want them not to have any worries. Children should be able to live their dreams.'

The TrueHearts donation hotlines are open till 14 Jun.

Call 19001128805 to make a $5 donation; 19001128815 for $15 and 19001128835 for $35.

The donation goes towards 155 social service programmes run by Community Chest and this will benefit more than 340,000 people.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/show/story/0,4136,204496,00.html?

Past charity show scandals still haunt some
June 09, 2009

IT SEEMS that some people would not forgive or forget.

MediaCorp heartthrob Dai Yang Tian, 25, related an incident that happened during rehearsals.

He said: 'On Saturday night, when we were rehearsing our item, a man stood on the top floor of the HDB Hub and yelled down 'Make sure the money goes to the right place'!'

Yang Tian said the man looked to be in his 50s and shouted in English.

'I've been here only 10 months, I didn't know about that past, so I didn't know what was going on then.'

He was referring to the scandals that have impacted the National Kidney Foundation and Ren Ci Hospital.

It didn't deter him though.

'It shouldn't stop anyone from helping others.'

Yang Tian said he took that first step by making three calls to the $35 hotline.

And why three?

He laughed, and replied: 'Well, I went according to my pay. I wanted to make a donation that was a percentage of my salary.'

Frances Koh, 29, said she lost faith in charity shows.

'Call me sceptical but I was burnt. I was shocked about both events and that shook my faith.

'I'd rather do direct charity work.'

Still, it wasn't just the scandals that stopped student Shawn Lim, 18, from donating.

He said: 'I watched like half of the show but as with all charity shows, it's the same - nothing new.

'So I didn't donate.'

Top MediaCorp host Kym Ng has had her share of charity shows and had performed in both the NKF and Renci shows.

Kym said she won't let her experiences affect her.

'I don't want to be discouraged and I still want to help.'

She feels no pressure about getting donations.

The pressure comes from hosting.

'There may be fewer calls due to the recession, but as long as people donate what they can, I'm happy.'

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Get Prata Nathan to do prata sure can rake up more million. Otherwise he can cough out his share for cho bo lan as President.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
U mean there are still suckers out there who believes that the money they have donated actually goes to the so call recipients?