• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

trisha lost all her 68K sgd savings to OCBC phising scam

Voldermort

Alfrescian
Loyal
Being penniless and hungry on Christmas Day was not something that 33-year-old Trisha (not her real name), whose OCBC bank account was targeted by scammers through an SMS phishing scam on Christmas Eve last month, ever imagined could happen to her.

Like many others who received a text message disguised as an official message from the bank, the Singaporean clicked on a link in the fake message that exhorted her to activate the bank’s OneToken authentication tool.

It brought her to another fake website, but one that, to her, looked convincingly like the bank’s internet banking login page.

Within minutes of her keying in her account information and one-time password (OTP), the scammers hijacked her OCBC bank account and drained it of S$68,000 — her entire savings. The bank could not reverse the fraudulent transactions.

For someone who works in the finance industry, is well-read in bank protocols and regulations, and is IT savvy, Trisha could not believe that she had fallen prey to a phishing scam.

.........One couple in their 40s, whose joint savings account was wiped of S$80,000, admitted that while they were at fault for compromising their bank account by divulging their account name and bank access code, they did not give the scammers any OTP or security token information.

More at https://shrtcô.de/jND6Yz

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imuho the scammers must have hijacked into the banks data in order to know which kortec put their life savings into a saving account. :cool: as it appeared that all the victims even not rich kind put alot of money in saving account. victims can use this as a tool to leemand for compensation.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imuho the scammers must have hijacked into the banks data in order to know which kortec put their life savings into a saving account. :cool: as it appeared that all the victims even not rich kind put alot of money in saving account. victims can use this as a tool to leemand for compensation.
These hijackers...i wonder if they are based overseas...n will the bank be able to trace which accounts it went to. If the banks have good security...they do not allow transfers to overseas account soo easily

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
These hijackers...i wonder if they are based overseas...n will the bank be able to trace which accounts it went to. If the banks have good security...they do not allow transfers to overseas account soo easily
Maybe it could be transferred to a local bank here 1st before being transferred to an overseas bank.. Even if they manage to catch these scammers, the bank won't be able to retrieve the $ back..

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe it could be transferred to a local bank here 1st before being transferred to an overseas bank.. Even if they manage to catch these scammers, the bank won't be able to retrieve the $ back..
The idea is to catch the scammers...all banking thing has a paper trail n who open those back accounts? N money laundering regulations have made it harder to open bank accounts etc

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't understand why the banks don't implement allowlist.
As a customer, i only allow transfers between certain accounts and certain banks that i deal with. If i need to add another bank or account, then i have to go down to the bank personally, verify my details and the bank then add the new details to my allowlist.
Any other transfers to new account numbers or banks done online will not go through.
It's a bit of a pain but the customer has peace of minds.

Kee Chew

Alfrescian
Loyal
noticed the Legal Fraternity and the Monetary Authority are very quiet over the whole Scaming Episode.

me , think the Bank should take full responsibilty and fully compensate all those kena scammed.

Isn't the bank liable?

Hang these scammers by their balls!

The bank should be liable. Scammers were also able to steal the victims sms lumbers. My uncle believes eod victims all can get back their hard earned money.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
noticed the Legal Fraternity and the Monetary Authority are very quiet over the whole Scaming Episode.

me , think the Bank should take full responsibilty and fully compensate all those kena scammed.
Singkie banks have never taken responsibility for any of their cock ups. Like the lehman minibonds, the dbs safety boxes dumping etc

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singkie banks have never taken responsibility for any of their cock ups. Like the lehman minibonds, the dbs safety boxes dumping etc
The issue is… you did not get scammed by entering Ocbc’s website. So it wasn’t like oh the scammer set up a phishing link on Ocbc website and I got scammed by clicking on that.

Kee Chew

Alfrescian
Loyal
me think , the issue is why those Scammers target OCBC online banking ???

why not Posb , uob or citi for eg ???

Errrr ...the answer is there...:thumbsdown:

Kee Chew

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMG_20220110_104807.jpg

birdie69

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, you are right!

I was scammed about $2.1K but reported to Stanchart immediately realised it was scam.
I was told not to worry since I made report immediately and the transaction still "floating" (via credit card) Promised to look into it and come back to me. Nothing heard until I called the bank again, but was told to make police report. Unfortunately, I still need to make payment for the scammed $2.1K.
Anyway, police also can't help.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN, yesterday, I'd even got a WhatsApp spam message from a Malaysian Number Chiobu, calling herself Zoe.

Be my guest and feel free to spam her if you want to, but be warned that this may not be the real photo from the sender.

WhatsApp Chiobu.jpg